Old Planters Brewing

Discussion in 'New England' started by JonnyJuicebox, May 1, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JonnyJuicebox

JonnyJuicebox Zealot (666) Jun 3, 2015 Massachusetts
    Trader

anyone try these guys yet? Got to try their pale ale and ipa last night at the power beer fest. SUPER clean, crisp, bright beers. Nice juiciness too. If I could make any comparison it would be Austin st patina, but less juicy/turbid. Has a malt presence but it was damn crisp and clean like a German lager.

Really excited to see what these guys do next, and I really can't wait to see them in package stores around Boston.

On a side note, Power beer fest was an incredible time. Between lines, prices etc I've gotten burned out of beer fests and haven't been in a number of years. This fest was low key, spacious and a ton of fun. Got to spend time talking to the brewers vs having to move a line.

robNSB likes this.
  2. BallantineBurton

BallantineBurton Initiate (0) Jan 22, 2012 Massachusetts

Old Planters beers are excellent; however, they are out of space in the basement so have started contract brewing at Ipswich Ales.

3. JonnyJuicebox

JonnyJuicebox Zealot (666) Jun 3, 2015 Massachusetts
    Trader

Oh interesting. I wonder if the samples I had were from Ipswitch. Eitherway, was a huge fan. Real nice guys too

4. LukieBL

LukieBL Initiate (0) Jun 10, 2015 Massachusetts

Crop Rotations have been very good.

The format and price point are tough for me though. 4 packs of 12oz bottles between $10.99-12.99

I would be purchasing a lot more of their beer if the above changed. I realize they're small and contract brewing so I like supporting them but often I find myself passing because my beer budget just can't handle the price per oz

I hope they can expand, scale and think about reformatting their package and price because they have nailed the beer

5. robNSB

robNSB Zealot (593) Oct 6, 2009 Massachusetts

Awesome to hear that. We worked really hard to execute that event. It was a total team effort from all the MA brewers to put that event on. A festival that was for the brewers by the brewers. We(the MA Brewers Guild) will be doing a Fall festival with a similar vibe in Worcester. Stay tuned!

6. mrz200

mrz200 Initiate (0) Jul 11, 2013 Massachusetts

bump

for anyone getting hazy juice'd out but still craves a local fresh IPA, I highly recommend these guys. Crop Rotation has been excellent. I soon as I clear out some of the juice from the beer fridge, I plan to stock up again.

yeah 4 pack of 12oz bottles is annoying packaging in 2017, and yeah the $/oz is higher than other newcomers like Fort Hill & Lamplighter, but the beer is good.

jbertsch and DrewLS like this.
  7. LukieBL

LukieBL Initiate (0) Jun 10, 2015 Massachusetts

16oz cans/4 packs look to be heading out to distro.

Will be interesting to see how they will price this new format, absolutely psyched they ditched bottles.

Are they still brewing at Mercury in Ipswich? I've just started to see some Ipswich Ale beers in 16oz cans for the first time and I wonder if this Old Planters switch is related

jlordi12 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.