Old Saybrook

Discussion in 'New England' started by hopsputin, Jul 18, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hopsputin

hopsputin Grand Pooh-Bah (4,017) Apr 1, 2012 New Jersey
    Pooh-Bah Society

Hey Friends - hosting an event at a venue in Old Saybrook coming up in October.

The venue has given me the option to upgrade the bar, and has asked me for a list of beers for them to look into getting. Its a mix crowd, so I'll already have some of the basic options. Any recommendations?

VABA likes this.
  2. ellis860

ellis860 Aspirant (291) Mar 28, 2011 Connecticut

Will you be serving bottles/cans or pouring draughts?

3. hopsputin

Pooh-Bah Society

Have the option for both

VABA likes this.
  4. AaronF

AaronF Initiate (0) Jun 23, 2012 Connecticut

Go local

NEBCO Sea Hag
    Thimble Island Coffee Stout
    Overshores Saison

Good example of style, should be available and crowd pleasing

BranfordBound and hopsputin like this.
  5. ellis860

ellis860 Aspirant (291) Mar 28, 2011 Connecticut

See if they can get something from Beer'd! Also, I'll second with what AaronF said...go local. See if they can get Sea Hag from NEBCO, something from Kent Falls, Two Roads etc.

hopsputin likes this.
  6. SenorQuesadilla

SenorQuesadilla Crusader (438) Jul 18, 2014 Connecticut
    Trader

Outer Light in Groton brews really good beer, and they're on tap all over the place so perhaps you could get some kegs. Steady Habit is actually the closest really good brewery to Old Saybrook, but they often don't have enough beer to stay open their advertised two days a week.

hopsputin likes this.
  7. NYR-Zuuuuc

NYR-Zuuuuc Maven (1,307) Jan 1, 2013 Connecticut

Best options for VERY local stuff are Beer'd and Grey Sail. Agree on previous Sea Hag recommendation, or anything from NEBCO. Have fun.

hopsputin likes this.
  8. hopsputin

Pooh-Bah Society

Thanks for all the recommends so far, will definitely put them on the list! :grinning:

VABA likes this.
  9. xanok

xanok Initiate (0) Aug 13, 2009 Connecticut

Just FYI, the reason for this is two-fold, from what I can gather. The first is that they fell behind when they did the Microbrew Invitational a month or so back.

The second is that most of what's in the tanks is going to cans, which will be available at the end of the month. I suspect that they will bounce back after that.

10. KingCobra686

KingCobra686 Initiate (0) Aug 13, 2014 Connecticut

What kind of crowd is it? If most people are going to be grabbing michelob bottles, you're just wasting your money upgrading to sea hag or other stuff that they wont even like.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.