Dismiss Notice
Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Join us December 9th in Los Angeles for the ultimate throwdown of craft beer creativity!

Learn more...
Dismiss Notice
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Old School Beer with New Twist

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by MagsDarling, Jun 19, 2017.

1. MagsDarling

MagsDarling Initiate (105) Jun 19, 2017

I have been experimenting as much as I can with fermentation. However, living in the Caribbean I do not have access to hops or wheat generally, so I tend to make other ferments. Mainly fruit, sometimes added grains. But generally speaking I go old school, more Gruit style.

And recently I have been toying with the idea of making Kasiri/Masato, since all sorts of root vegetables are readily available here. But, instead of going through the nasty process if using spit for starch conversion, using Koji spores. I mean, that would work well, right?

Does anyone else here experiment old style?
    Have any twists?

Mags

GreenKrusty101 likes this.
  2. GreenKrusty101

GreenKrusty101 Crusader (702) Dec 4, 2008 Nevada

I could live without the wheat, but hops are an essential ingredient to beer, imho.

3. MagsDarling

MagsDarling Initiate (105) Jun 19, 2017

According to Europe. There is a huge world outside of it. The Americas have such a large and under appreciated history of beers and fermented drinks.Before I start on Masato I may kick it down to the back burner to make a banana beer. Malted Quinoa + Banana.

machalel and GreenKrusty101 like this.
  4. jbakajust1

jbakajust1 Moderator (1,086) Aug 25, 2009 Oregon
    Subscriber Beer Trader

You may want to look for The Gruit Guild on Facebook. Probably get a whole lot more help there.

5. GreenKrusty101

GreenKrusty101 Crusader (702) Dec 4, 2008 Nevada

There's old school...then there is ale...and then there's gruit old school :slight_smile:

MagsDarling and machalel like this.
  6. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Meyvn (1,050) Jan 20, 2012 Colorado
    Beer Trader

My god this is interesting fodder for thought, but I am not sure there is much help here. I would like to follow this though.

7. machalel

machalel Aspirant (283) Jan 19, 2012 Australia

Definitely on the list of things that I want to do in the future is to make a "Koji Beer". No experience in it yet though sorry...

• About Us

Founded in Boston in 1996, BeerAdvocate (BA) is your go-to resource for beer powered by an independent community of enthusiasts and professionals dedicated to supporting and promoting better beer.

Learn More
  • Our Community

Comprised of consumers and industry professionals, many of whom started as members of this site, our community is one of the oldest, largest, and most respected beer communities online.
  • Our Events

Since 2003 we've hosted over 60 world-class beer festivals to bring awareness to independent brewers and educate attendees.
  • Our Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.