Old School Beer with New Twist

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by MagsDarling, Jun 19, 2017.

1. MagsDarling

MagsDarling Initiate (105) Jun 19, 2017

I have been experimenting as much as I can with fermentation. However, living in the Caribbean I do not have access to hops or wheat generally, so I tend to make other ferments. Mainly fruit, sometimes added grains. But generally speaking I go old school, more Gruit style.

And recently I have been toying with the idea of making Kasiri/Masato, since all sorts of root vegetables are readily available here. But, instead of going through the nasty process if using spit for starch conversion, using Koji spores. I mean, that would work well, right?

Does anyone else here experiment old style?
    Have any twists?

Mags

GreenKrusty101 likes this.
  2. GreenKrusty101

GreenKrusty101 Crusader (727) Dec 4, 2008 Nevada

I could live without the wheat, but hops are an essential ingredient to beer, imho.

3. MagsDarling

MagsDarling Initiate (105) Jun 19, 2017

According to Europe. There is a huge world outside of it. The Americas have such a large and under appreciated history of beers and fermented drinks.Before I start on Masato I may kick it down to the back burner to make a banana beer. Malted Quinoa + Banana.

machalel and GreenKrusty101 like this.
  4. jbakajust1

jbakajust1 Moderator (1,098) Aug 25, 2009 Oregon
    Subscriber Beer Trader

You may want to look for The Gruit Guild on Facebook. Probably get a whole lot more help there.

5. GreenKrusty101

GreenKrusty101 Crusader (727) Dec 4, 2008 Nevada

There's old school...then there is ale...and then there's gruit old school :slight_smile:

MagsDarling and machalel like this.
  6. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Meyvn (1,122) Jan 20, 2012 Colorado
    Beer Trader

My god this is interesting fodder for thought, but I am not sure there is much help here. I would like to follow this though.

7. machalel

machalel Aspirant (286) Jan 19, 2012 Australia

Definitely on the list of things that I want to do in the future is to make a "Koji Beer". No experience in it yet though sorry...