Olympia. Where you at?

Discussion in 'Northwest' started by barleywinefiend, May 15, 2013.

1. barleywinefiend

barleywinefiend Nov 22, 2007 Washington

Since I making the fanatastic journey South to Oly for the next several years I am looking for some local BA's in the Oly/Tumwater/Lacey area. Is their anybody out there?

Hi Libbey.

libbey likes this.
  2. BuckeyeOne

BuckeyeOne Mar 9, 2008 Washington

I'm not sure about actual BAs in Oly. But just head straight to the Eastside Tavern and you'll be all set.

libbey, TysonA and barleywinefiend like this.
  3. TysonA

TysonA Dec 12, 2010 Washington
    Beer Trader

Then over to Gravity market to stock up on supplies for home.

barleywinefiend and libbey like this.
  4. libbey

libbey May 18, 2008 British Indian Ocean Territory

correct answers
    go to bed Dad your drunk:D

barleywinefiend likes this.
  5. leedorham

leedorham Apr 27, 2006 Washington

What what? Clam delete hate goin' on in heah? Them pissahs for real.

Also, there are a lot of people at the Eastside that don't have the innernet, so I second the suggestion to just go there and drink until you have friends.

I am not from Oly but visit family there occasionally. Libbey is my uncle.

6. BillHilly

BillHilly Oct 17, 2010 Washington
    Beer Trader

You are slowing migrating South again Old Timer.

7. ajramirez1

ajramirez1 Apr 9, 2011 Washington

I got a week long training in Olympia and need to spend my per diem on some beer. Where is the best spots to drink some micro brews in Olympia?
    A-

8. libbey

Eastside

Skep and Skein

9. m4ttj0nes

m4ttj0nes Feb 21, 2012 Oregon
    Beer Trader

go to QB, order food, go to Eastside drink a beer, go back to QB get ordered food, go back to eastside and eat ordered food with newly ordered beer, drink more beer, stop by jakes for a hotdog on the way home to sober up. wash rinse repeat.

BillHilly and beefandbean22 like this.
  10. BuckeyeOne

I've worked on and off in Olympia for nearly 15 years and stop by Eastside now and then, but can't for the life of me think of what 'QB' is.

11. SeaAle

SeaAle Jun 24, 2012 Oregon

Quality Burrito

12. John_M

John_M Oct 25, 2003 Oregon
    Moderator Beer Trader

I think the food at McMemimans just up the street isn't all that bad. However...

I don't usually stop off in Olympia for it's dining options. I pretty much always stop at the Eastside club when I'm in town, so I just want to eat something quick, to help sop up some of the beer I'm about to drink. Just around the corner on Jefferson St. is the Pizza Time cafe, which is now where I always seem to go. They serve large slices, and the pizza is cheap and surprisingly good. You can grab a slice and be out the door in under a minute. I went there the first time because it was close by and I was starving. Now I can't seem to bring myself to go any place else.

13. BuckeyeOne

Have you never been to Old School Pizzeria? Head right (instead of left) when you leave Eastide and go a block and a half, then take a right. Not much farther than Pizza Time but oh-so-better. Plus, you can keep drinking.

14. libbey

They have RPM on tap to boot at Old School

15. BuckeyeOne

Isn't RPM on tap everywhere in Oly: Eastside, Old School, Ramblin' Jacks, Gravity?

16. libbey

I'm working on it;)

17. Beerandraiderfan

Beerandraiderfan Apr 14, 2009 Nevada

BA elrogish is one of my greatest beer buddies of all time, he lives in Oly.

Might be a match in heaven barleywinefiend. . . elrogish's favorite style = barleywine

barleywinefiend, BillHilly and libbey like this.
  18. John_M

John_M Oct 25, 2003 Oregon
    Moderator Beer Trader

Not familiar with it, but I'll give it a try next time I'm in town. Always trying to expand my options and horizons. :)

19. leedorham

I lived in Olympia for about 4 months when I was 19. I used to always go to Norma's way out on east Martin Way and get burgers because there was a gorgeous brunette with giant knockers working there. I talked to her occasionally and tried to get up the courage to ask her out. Then I wrecked my car and had no way of getting over there by myself anymore. I ended up going back to school and never seeing her boobies. :(

This has nothing to do with beer. Carry on.

pudgym29, 66jzmstr, BillHilly and 2 others like this.
  20. Beerandraiderfan

Beerandraiderfan Apr 14, 2009 Nevada

Sure it does:

Had you been drinking beer, you probably would have had the liquid courage to ask her out.
    She probably would have gone for you because, hey, chicks dig craft beer and money, and you gotta have one to have the other she would have deduced.

So this has everything to do with beer. Maybe you can be in a government PSA

"Hello, my name is leedorham, I want to talk to you today about drinking beer and how it helps you get the courage to develop the initiative to get what you really want in life. . . "

(Cue "the more you know" graphic/music).

21. Wetpaperbag

Wetpaperbag Aug 14, 2007 Washington

I'm going to have to go with Skep and Skein. I know it doesn't have the history in Olympia, but it also has a great tap selection and bottle selection. As for food you can grab a great sandwich at Wally's, or great food at Apollos, or down the road is a California Taco truck. You can also bring it into the Skep and Skein. The other advantage the Skep has, other then it is cleaner, but they aren't cash only. I don't always carry cash on me. Something I know many people like is the location of the Skep, you don't have to wade through the panhandlers, tweekers, and transients just to get to the bar. Try them both out and see what you like.

22. woemad

woemad Jun 8, 2003 Washington
    Beer Trader

I'll be there at some point this summer visiting the bro's family. Only been able to hit Eastside once so far but I dug it and would be glad for a repeat visit with a BA or two.

23. MicroFanatic

MicroFanatic Mar 21, 2009 Washington

Eastside has gone through some interior renovation recently...looks really nice with the additional pool tables and moving their one ping pong table and air hockey to a different but better location. Skep and Skein is great as well. It is smaller but they seem to rotate constantly through their taps. Both offer great prices for very limited type brews and both serve up in glasses smaller than a pint which is nice for the higher abv brews or if you just wanted to try small tastes for a variety.

24. olympuszymurgus

olympuszymurgus Nov 24, 2009 California
    Beer Trader

Ohh ooh 'Lympia!
    Half as cool as Portland,
    but a tenth the size.
    I miss the city by the bay.
    Home of geoducks,
    Nude beaches,
    The Eastside,
    Hippy house parties!
    So many hippy girls
    and gutter punks
    and over grown grunge musicians
    And too damned many potlucks.
    That city misses me when I'm gone.

I heard y'all don't get Russian River any more? Wtf?

25. leedorham

This is a good piece of info we almost forgot to give barleywinefriend. OP - take note, and work on your crock pot skillzzzz.

26. barleywinefiend

Only been to the Skep once. Frequented on East Side but once Libbey left it was never the same. Thanks for the input. After 1 July hit me up for a beer or five. Maybe we should do some Oly style bottle shares.

27. barleywinefiend

Potluck.Sweet.I do a mean pulled pork.

28. barleywinefiend

The things we do for sweaterpuppets.

leedorham likes this.
  29. olympuszymurgus

Beer Trader

Libbey left the Eastside? Wtf.

Also, your pulled pork is not allowed at an Olympian potluck, it must be vegetarian, kosher and locally raised. Duh.

30. Wetpaperbag

Wetpaperbag Aug 14, 2007 Washington

You mean Organic, Vegan, Kosher, and locally raised with homemade fertilizer.

31. olympuszymurgus

Beer Trader

If by homemade fertilizer you mean the black sludge from a homemade composting toilet, yes.

I miss that town. Something about a glass of TenSquared on cask and the procession of the species girls dressed as bumblebees to just make me all smiley.

32. elrogish

elrogish Feb 17, 2011 Washington

Finally! I've been looking for Oly BAs myself. Been around BA for a while, and newly introduced to the trading game (Just landed a FFF arctic panzer, BA Boris, 4 pk Founders Breakfast stout, & Peruvian Morning for some vintage Bigfoot & a bottle Of MOAS!)

Good lookin out Beerandraiderfan. See ya in a couple of weeks with some tasty treats!!

libbey and Beerandraiderfan like this.
  33. barleywinefiend

Beerandraiderfan could always be a professional matchmaker. BM sent to ya. Let's do beer sometime.....East Side..

libbey and Beerandraiderfan like this.
  • About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • Return of the Belgian Beer Fest

BeerAdvocate Brings its All-Belgian Fest to Portland, Maine on September 17, 2016. Tickets are on sale now.

Learn More
  • Get the Mag

Become a BeerAdvocate magazine print subscriber today.

Subscribe