Omega Hornindal Kveik Blend

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by minderbender, Apr 16, 2018.

1. minderbender

minderbender Aspirant (218) Jan 18, 2009 New York

Has anyone tried the new Hornindal kveik blend from Omega? I just brewed with it yesterday, so I don't have anything to report except that it got off to a nice vigorous fermentation very quickly. (I've found that this is almost always true for kveik. Presumably the fact that I ferment at about 95°F has something to do with it.)

2. MrOH

MrOH Crusader (795) Jul 5, 2010 Maryland

I haven't brewed with it, but I'm digging the expansion in brewing variety that the various Norwegian strains have given me. I don't have fermentation temp control outside of using fans and a swamp cooler, and the Norwegian strains give me the ability to brew something outside of Saisons for 6 months out of the year. Please report back.

3. nategibbon

nategibbon Initiate (117) Sep 6, 2008 Illinois

Omega employee here. The Hornindal kveik is currently the lab favorite, we've used it in an APA, Brut IPA, Rye Wine, and Imperial Stout. All super fruity with quick and reliable fermentation.

4. Beerswimmer

Beerswimmer Initiate (180) Mar 4, 2013 Texas
    Beer Trader

I plan on buying some asap and trying it in a few batches.

minderbender likes this.
  5. Beerswimmer

Beer Trader

I'll have it delivered on the 3rd, brew a simple hoppy pale ale with it on the 4th:sunglasses:

TooHopTooHandle and minderbender like this.
  6. minderbender

The beer I brewed with the Hornindal kveik blend on April 15 was a pale ale. I bottled it today, exactly 2 weeks after brew day. The beer tastes fine so far, although in my experience you can't say much about a beer at this point. My one observation so far is that the yeast flocculated very well, forming a compact cake that stayed on the bottom of my bucket even as I racked the beer very close to it. I had been a bit worried because Omega describes the blend's flocculation as "high and low," presumably because some of the yeasts in the blend are good flocculators and others are poor flocculators. All I can say is that after two weeks, the beer was nice and clear and the yeast was in large clumps on the bottom of the fermenter.

[Edited to add: For anyone who cares, I achieved an apparent attenuation of 75%, starting at 1.052 and finishing at 1.013. I mashed at about 156°F. Omega advertises an attenuation range of 75-82%, so I guess I was on the low end, which is what I was hoping for.]

#6 minderbender, Apr 30, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2018
    TooHopTooHandle and Supergenious like this.
  7. Witherby

Witherby Initiate (148) Jan 5, 2011 Massachusetts

Have any of you actually brewed a Norwegian style with any of these kveik strains? Lars Marius Garshol has an article on raw ales in the newest issue of BYO with a recipe for Kornøl. The biggest drawback for me is a lack of a juniper branches.

He also mentions (and I'm guessing this is the direction that every homebrewer will go) that it might be interesting to brew a raw ale (no boil) NEIPA:

"One style that can benefit from incorporating the raw ale technique is New England IPA. This style is supposed to have a soft and juicy mouthfeel, and not boiling the wort contributes to that through the protein that helps fill out and smoothen the body. The effect is not too different from using oats or wheat in the grist. The relatively subtle raw ale flavor, however, will be overwhelmed by the hops."

frozyn, Lukass and EvenMoreJesus like this.
  8. Dave_S

Dave_S Initiate (137) May 18, 2017 England

Yeah, I'm quite interested in this yeast, although more as a way of brewing something other than saison in the summer without refrigeration than as a first step to brewing traditional Norwegian farmhouse ale (fascinating though that sounds...)

Does anyone have any feedback on how it performs, what it tastes like, and what sort of recipe would be a good starting point for trying it out?

minderbender likes this.
  9. EvenMoreJesus

EvenMoreJesus Savant (914) Jun 8, 2017 Pennsylvania
    Premium Member

Raw ales are certainly a big thing in the lot of the areas/countries that he documents.

10. Lukass

Lukass Savant (968) Dec 16, 2012 Ohio
    Beer Trader

I'm so intrigued by not only kveik strains, but also raw ales. This would be a great opportunity to try both. Also, with kids, I'm looking for any excuse to simplify my brew days. Not having to do a boil on a batch sounds ok by me.

In the article under the northwest norwegian farmhouse ale, it says "Fermented with kveik yeast, the beer is ready to drink after 48 hours." Has anyone tried a fermentation this short with kveik yeast before? Just wondering what the difference in flavor might be between this short of a fermentation time, and a traditional 2-3 weeks of fermentation/conditioning?

EvenMoreJesus likes this.
  11. minderbender

I've brewed a lot with kveik, but none of the beers was a traditional Norwegian beer—the vast majority of my kveik beers have been goses and Berliners. One of the things I like about kveik is that it can handle temperatures that are optimal for Lactobacillus, so I can pitch them both at the same temperature. (In practice I always give the Lacto a head start, but I hold the temperature high throughout, until the kveik has done its work.)

I have done one raw beer with kveik, but it was a Berliner, so definitely not traditional Norwegian style. (Although in fact brewers in Hornindal are known for being willing to drink sour beer, whereas brewers in most other places regard it as a flaw and will throw out kveik that has gotten contaminated with souring bacteria.)

Anyway the Berliner turned out fine. I heated the wort to like 180°F to pasteurize it, cooled it to a little under 100°F, pitched the Lacto, held it for a day, and pitched the Sigmund's Voss kveik from Yeast Bay. The beer had a grape flavor that wasn't my favorite, but definitely not bad. It was remarkably shelf-stable for a raw beer, I've still got a few bottles lying around and they are perfectly fine.

For the most part I've used Sigmund's Voss kveik from Yeast Bay, but I recently used Hothead from Omega and I liked it a lot too. Again, though, it wasn't a traditional Norwegian beer, it was a porter. Hothead is one of the most flocculent yeasts I've ever seen, as is Omega's Hornindal blend.

The pale ale I described above is my first time using the Hornindal blend, I will check back in and post my results once my beer is carbonated.

[edited for clarity]

12. Lukass

Beer Trader

Thanks for all the useful info. I just ordered the Hornindal blend, and hope to brew with it some evening into next week. It will be a raw ale fermented with Kveik, although it won't fit the traditional Norwegian standards, and won't be a berliner or gose either. Hoping for more of a hop-forward beer in the 35-40 IBU range.

Here's my plan with the Hornindal:

100% Vienna malt, mashed at 160F

The plan is to do a small side batch while mash is infusing – 1 lb DME boiled in 2 gal water, with 1 oz Warrior added for 30 min. I will use this as my hoppy sparge addition. Although adding boiling wort won't make it a 100% raw ale, I'm going to look past that :wink:

Will let wort naturally cool overnight. Once temp reaches 90F, will pitch yeast.

Dry hopping for a few days with Mandarina bavaria before kegging

13. MrOH

How did it turn out? For lack of a better term, I plan on brewing a Dubbel Mild (essentially a dubbel using all English ingredients) with HotHead soon to see how it does in a darker wort.

Lukass likes this.
  14. Beerswimmer

Beer Trader

I'd like to know too since I'll be brewing a porter with Voss tomorrow.

Lukass likes this.
  15. Granitebeard

Granitebeard Initiate (173) Aug 24, 2016 Maine

If people want a helpful source, and down right nice guy, I would suggest talking to Justin at Mainiacal Yeast. While he mostly does yeast I won't touch, he has tons of different yeasts from family farms in Norway. He worked with me to find one that I would like, and not have too much funk. At the same time, he is a brewer, and is looking to open a brewery.

https://www.mainiacalyeast.com/

Lukass likes this.
  16. minderbender

The porter turned out well, but my one word of caution is that the Hothead really attenuates well, so the beer ended up thinner and a bit drier than I wanted it to be. I'd mash pretty hot if you want a more traditional porter profile. (It was a fairly low gravity porter, so that's partly to blame. You might be okay with a higher original gravity.) As I said, the Hothead flocculated like a champion, so the beer was beautiful. The yeast was fairly clean, or at least if it threw off any esters, they hid pretty well behind the dark malts.

Lukass and MrOH like this.
  17. Lukass

Beer Trader

So I answered my own question, in case anyone is interested. I sampled a Kveik that was brewed by one of the owners of a home brewing store that I frequent. (the dude seemed very knowledgeable with yeast/fermentation in general, and seemed to know his shit). He used Sigmund's Voss and fermented it close to 110F! Flavor/aroma was super clean, with pronounced lemon and orange peel. Apparently he packaged his beer just a few days after fermentation subsided, which happens very quickly with Kveik.

I guess I was just blown away by how great it tasted for how quickly this style can go from grain to glass!

18. ECCS

ECCS Aspirant (253) Oct 28, 2015 Illinois
    Beer Trader

Brewing with OLY091 tomorrow
    6% ABV wheat ale with 8oz citra and 2oz Denali (5gallons) I wasn’t planning any boil hops, so I might go with a no-boil here and ferment somewhere around 85 F

Will report back

Lukass and minderbender like this.
  19. Lukass

Beer Trader

Let us know for sure! I’m actually using Denali to dry hop my raw ale/Kveik, since they were out of mandarina Bavaria at my LHBS.

20. Supergenious

Supergenious Disciple (395) May 9, 2011 Michigan

So, for you guys making the “raw ales”- do you bring up to near boil temps to kill the lacto? With that said, what temperature kills lacto? I thought I read 145F. Is that right?

21. minderbender

I think 180°F is a good temperature because it's hot enough to pastuerize the wort quickly and thoroughly, and it's low enough that you shouldn't get any DMS problems. It will definitely kill Lacto. I don't know how much lower you could go and reliably kill Lacto, I've never tried a lower temperature.

In my case I actually wasn't trying to kill Lacto specifically, but rather to kill everything, and then pitch Lacto. But same idea.

Lukass and Supergenious like this.
  22. Lukass

Beer Trader

So my kveik is pretty much fermented out. I fermented close to 90-95F the entire fermentation. For the next week or two before packaging, do you maintain these warmer temps, or is ok to drop down to standard room temp of 68ish? What did you do for yours?

23. Beerswimmer

Beer Trader

I'm finally getting around to brew with it. I'm mashing right now. Simple hoppy pale house beer:
    16lbs pale 2-row
    2oz Citra, 1oz Amarillo and 1oz Centennial hops at 180F whirlpool for 20 mins
    2oz of each for dryhop

Mash at 152F, 5 min boil. Ferment @100F until done.

Push_the_limits and Lukass like this.
  24. ECCS

ECCS Aspirant (253) Oct 28, 2015 Illinois
    Beer Trader

[​IMG]
    My Hornindal Kveik raw ale turned out real nice! Quick recipe and process description:

5 gal
    1.056 OG
    1.014 FG
    5.5% ABV

56% Golden Promise
    24% White Wheat
    12% Flaked Wheat
    4% carapils
    2% acidulated
    2% crystal 40

Mashed at 154F
    Collect wort and raise to 170F
    No boil
    Whirlpool 1oz Columbus and 4oz citra for 15 mins
    Cool to 95F
    Pitch yeast (no starter)

This beer was almost completely fermented after 24 hours (1.018 after 24 hours)

Dryhop 4oz citra 24 hour’s after pitching
    Dryhop 2oz Denali 72 hour’s after pitching, start cold crash
    Keg 5 days after pitching

This pic is exactly 7 days from brewday (keg set to 25psi for 48 hours and then lowered)

Taste is crisp and fruity. Hard to tell where the yeast flavors end and the hops begin. Nice Wheat finish.

Since it was no boil, brew day took me 3 hours including setup and cleanup. Fermentation was quick and clean. I’m very happy with this yeast and hope to do more!

25. Lukass

Beer Trader

Looking great! Can’t wait to keg mine soon. Giving mine a Denali/citra dry hop as well.

Since I’m always pressed for time any more, raw ales are a perfect beer to crank out on an evening after work

26. Beerswimmer

Beer Trader

This is just as nuts as the other kveik I have. No starter and it's drying out my airlock 3 hours after pitching.

Lukass likes this.
  27. minderbender

Yeah, I let it drop to room temperature after a day or two. I don't think it matters much as fermentation winds down, but I like to ramp it down while it's still producing some CO2 so I don't get any suckback.

Lukass likes this.
  28. wasatchback

wasatchback Disciple (311) Jan 12, 2014 Utah
    Beer Trader

Questions for those that have used these yeasts a bunch.

Do you NEED to ferment them super warm? Is there a dramatic difference between say 75 and 90?

Will the high flocc strains floc hard without being cooled or crashed? Say if you ferment at 80 and cool to 70 will they drop out with just some cooling?

Has anyone noticed either any different aromas from hops either from the yeasts ability to transform compounds or the fact that you’re adding hops at such high temps?

Also has anyone blended these yeasts with say a Saison strain? Maybe give 3724 a head start then when you ramp it up drop some Kveik to add some more character, finish fermentation quickly, then pull all the 3724 yeast out when it floccs?

29. MrOH

I've used HotHead a few times. Never fermented it super warm, but it probably got into the low-80s. Still had a nice orange ester. Flocc'ed well without crashing.

EvenMoreJesus and minderbender like this.
  30. Beerswimmer

Beer Trader

I bottled my hoppy pale ale last night. It was fermented in my 87F garage with a heating pad. The yeast flavors are pretty subdued compared to Voss, at least in the flat sample I had. Also it crapped out at 1.020.

31. Beerswimmer

Beer Trader

Cold and carbed, it's not as flavorful as Voss. Way too sweet because of under attenuation. I'll stick with Voss:confused:

32. MostlyNorwegian

MostlyNorwegian Zealot (553) Feb 5, 2013 Illinois

Currently popping away with 091 on a Brut IPA. Impressed with it working so quickly. 12 hours in popping away. The yeast woke up between 3 and 4 hours after I pitched them at 92 with plenty of oxygen and good stuff to chew on.
    Answers about Hothead, primarily. No. You don't need to ferment them warm, and it won't change the profile the yeast give off if you ferment them on the low side of their range either. I've tasted it on both sides of its spread, and they don't care what temp they work at. Pitching them warm just saves you and them time.
    The Hornindal, supposedly is consistent across the temp spread as well. About 18 hours from pitch. The gang I have are holding at 86, and heading on their freefall down to ambient.

33. MostlyNorwegian

1.066 to 1.006.

Lukass likes this.
  34. Lukass

Beer Trader

So was that attenuation based off the Hornindal alone? Just curious, because my IPA went from 1.065 og then I totally forgot to take a fg reading when I used the 091... I wasn’t going for a brut style though. Mine is still very much a ‘milkshake’ IPA so just wondering what else you did to make it drier and more champagne like? I’ve heard of brewers adding some sort of amylase enzyme to dry it out and lighten it even more for brut IPAs

35. MostlyNorwegian

Amylase, and a low mash temp.
    I'll be bottling it this weekend. Hopefully that gives them a chance to really clear things up. I also added hibiscus, because it seemed like a good idea at the time.

Lukass likes this.