One gallon all grain batch.

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by heyduke, Dec 9, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. heyduke

heyduke Initiate (0) Jan 14, 2011 Colorado
    Trader

How do I convert a one gallon recipe to five gallon all grain batch, do I just multiply by five?

2. bs870621345

bs870621345 Initiate (0) Oct 29, 2009 Iowa

That is the easiest way to do it and plenty of people use this method. I think I remember reading that your hop utilization will decrease slightly, but I have no info to back that up.

3. inchrisin

inchrisin Pooh-Bah (2,013) Sep 25, 2008 Indiana
    Pooh-Bah

Yep. I'd second checking your IBUs on an online hop calculator. Plan on boiling off a gallon to a gallon and a half from your boil.

4. Ilanko

Ilanko Initiate (0) Aug 3, 2012 New York

Usually the one gallon commercial recipe uses 1 oz multiplication of hops, because of packing less then one Oz will not cost the same as the hops.
    When I started one gallon recipe , on my second batch I cut the hops by 1/3, when I start brewing 5 gallons I realize that 5 gallon batches can use less then one OZ hops.

To summarize all that use brewing software , plus use common sense and adjust any recipe with your brewing software.

5. RobbyComstock

RobbyComstock Initiate (0) Nov 29, 2013 Colorado

Easiest way to do this is calculate your ingredients based on a percentage. Then as you scale your recipes the percentages will not change, but the total amount will.

6. pweis909

pweis909 Grand Pooh-Bah (3,176) Aug 13, 2005 Wisconsin
    Pooh-Bah Society

At homebrew scales, directly proportional scaling seems to be the way to go.

7. jmw

jmw Initiate (0) Feb 4, 2009 North Carolina

You specify your target 5 gal batch as being all grain. Was your one gal batch extract? This could be a very different case.

8. heyduke

heyduke Initiate (0) Jan 14, 2011 Colorado
    Trader

No it was all grain.
    2 1/4 pound rather 2 row
    1/4 pound Munich malz
    1/8 pound crystal 60

1/2 ounce citra at boil
    1/2 ounce Amarillo,citra,simcoe @ 30 mins
    1/2 ounce Amarillo,citra,simcoe @ 15 mins
    1/2 ounce citra dry hop

9. reverseapachemaster

reverseapachemaster Zealot (722) Sep 21, 2012 Texas

I have scaled from 1:5 and 5:1 gallons an used linear conversion both ways. You will be a little off on hop utilization but not so much you should tear apart the recipe and recreate it to scale up or down.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.