Oops, I forgot I had that beer hidden there!

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Donaldearl, Jan 22, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Donaldearl

Donaldearl Initiate (0) Dec 15, 2016 Indiana

I just found (2) 4 packs of KBS in my cellar hidden under a shelf. Has anyone found beer in their house that they forgot they had??

2. zid

zid Poo-Bah (1,757) Feb 15, 2010 New York
    Society Trader

3. PapaGoose03

PapaGoose03 Poo-Bah (3,565) May 30, 2005 Michigan
    Society

I find beers that have worked they way to the back of my fridge that I forgot were in there, but they are never anything good like KBS.

4. Realsambo

Realsambo Initiate (0) Apr 15, 2016 Texas

I found a six pack under my passenger seat the other week. Was a nice surprise. Not too old, bought it a month or so ago and just forgot to bring it in.

CrimeDog, Reef and Donaldearl like this.
  5. nc41

nc41 Poo-Bah (2,771) Sep 25, 2008 North Carolina
    Society Trader

Nice!!!!

CrimeDog likes this.
  6. ceeg

ceeg Initiate (0) Dec 16, 2010 New York

I just drank a 2012 BCBS that was stashed behind some stuff in the cupboard. I hope I've forgotten about some other lovely bottles like that!

7. wmross

wmross Initiate (48) Mar 23, 2016 Indiana
    Trader

Not me, but my friend just found a Zombie Dust in the back of the fridge from October. He said it was still good. Living in Northern Indiana we always have fresh ZD around.

8. donspublic

donspublic Poo-Bah (2,189) Aug 4, 2014 Texas
    Society Trader

Well my office became my temp cellar for a while, which my wife and daughter turned into a stash it all room so it got pretty hectic for a while. I spent 2 days organizing and cleaning out and found a lot of beer that I didn't know existed hidden in boxes and such. Thank goodness it was all heavy duty aging beer.

9. Brolo75

Brolo75 Initiate (0) Aug 10, 2013 California
    Deactivated

Nothing as good as OP's find. I don't think I could ever forget a beer like KBS but I have found an everyday beer in the fridge every now and then. Nice find!

VABA, CrimeDog and Donaldearl like this.
  10. WCKDVBZ

WCKDVBZ Meyvn (1,455) May 9, 2014 South Carolina

Me neither!

CrimeDog likes this.
  11. tmalt

tmalt Initiate (0) Dec 17, 2015 Florida

No KBS under the shelf here.

CrimeDog likes this.
  12. Beef_Curtains

Beef_Curtains Initiate (0) Oct 14, 2013 Ohio

Sometimes I go to my "cellar" (a closet) to grab a particular beer and notice a beer that I forgot I bought, but I have never "hidden" a beer.

CrimeDog and Thirst_trappist like this.
  13. NotHereForGold

NotHereForGold Initiate (0) Feb 3, 2015 Wisconsin

I found two cases of Zima in the basement of a college rental a couple years back. Had to have been sitting there for many moons. I know you all want a 10 yr old Zima review but I couldn't even swallow a sip.

SawDog505, FBarber, jmdrpi and 8 others like this.
  14. BSW

BSW Aspirant (271) Jun 20, 2011 California
    Trader

No. The chance of me forgetting how much beer I have is the same as the chance of me forgetting how many kids I have.

15. Beersnob724

Beersnob724 Initiate (0) Jan 11, 2016 Ohio

I bought some kbs to age. Drank it. Bought some world wide stout to age. Drank it. Bought some Sunday morning stout to age. Drank it........you get the idea.

16. gratefulbeerhead

gratefulbeerhead Zealot (578) Dec 7, 2009 Indiana

Sometimes my organization is not so good. Awhile back I found a Huna and Marshall Zhukov that had accidentally got behind some of my Lost Abbey bottles. Since the rows were several bottles deep and on the bottom shelf, in my not so well lighted basement cellar, I didn't think to check out the bottles in the back. They were both a couple years aged when I found them. They are now in the CCB rows and hopefully I will remember right where they are.

Ozzylizard and Donaldearl like this.
  17. bbtkd

bbtkd Poo-Bah (14,340) Sep 20, 2015 South Dakota
    Society Trader

Sorry man, I forgot those last time I was over. Please just drop them in the mail, would ya...

18. ScottDawg7

ScottDawg7 Initiate (80) Jul 27, 2015 Georgia

Buddy of mine found a Creature Comforts Cosmik Debris bought spring last year hidden in back of his fridge. Told him he should open it to see if it's held up but he's yet to crack it.

CrimeDog, Reef and Hayden34 like this.
  19. dcotom

dcotom Poo-Bah (2,958) Aug 4, 2014 Iowa
    Society Trader

Now that you mention it, I have a w00tstout in the cupboard where I keep my liquor.

20. dcotom

dcotom Poo-Bah (2,958) Aug 4, 2014 Iowa
    Society Trader

While vacationing in the western US in 2011, I picked up a six-pack of Crow Peak Pile-o-Dirt Porter. I drank one and gave some to friends, then stuck the last one in the fridge and promptly forgot about it. I dug it out in November 2015 and checked the canning date (1/11/11), then cracked it open. That Pile-o-Dirt was drinking just fine after almost five years in the back of the fridge. :grinning:

Donaldearl likes this.
  21. HorseheadsHophead

HorseheadsHophead Poo-Bah (2,425) Sep 15, 2014 Colorado
    Society

No. I keep very good track of my stash. :wink:

BSW likes this.
  22. flaskman

flaskman Initiate (0) Aug 3, 2015 New York

3 bottles of breakfast stout from October of 2014 and a Stone 2012 Vertical that might be too old to drink. Last week I found them in the bottom of a closet in the basement where I must had hid them from junior (who no longer lives here) while I was looking for my last 4 packs of KBS :grinning:

I dont usually "hide" beer but always hide the receipts. By better half would cut my you know whats off if she knew how much some of this stuff costs.

#22 flaskman, Jan 22, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 22, 2017
    RuEXP, Donaldearl and bbtkd like this.
  23. utopiajane

utopiajane Initiate (0) Jun 11, 2013 New York

May I add never. Beer does not ever last anywhere in this house. =)

24. bbtkd

Society Trader

Ever have it go the other way? Last year I recalled bagging three BCBS, but after drinking through two during the infection drama, I went to get the third and couldn't find it. All kinds of thoughts - did it fall off the back of the shelf and roll under something, did I drink it and forget it, did a repair guy pilfer it, or perhaps it was rambunctious mice. Finally went back to my post the day I bagged them, and it said only two. Someone actually hacked my posting to cover their theft :wink:

25. SawDog505

SawDog505 Poo-Bah (6,629) Apr 9, 2010 New Hampshire
    Society

I discovered I had one more KBS than I had remembered around a year ago and I was stoked. 7 more than I remembered and I may have creamed my shorts.

26. LeRose

LeRose Poo-Bah (1,722) Nov 24, 2011 Massachusetts
    Society

While I don't hide beers, I do loose track of them all the time. Fortunately my primary categorization is splitting up drink now beers from the ones that can hang a while. But it isnt a very good system... I still have Pretty Things beers, the original w00tStout, and things like that haunting the shelves. So far nothing has tasted terrible, but some have admittedly been not at their best.

dcotom and Reef like this.
  27. Hayden34

Hayden34 Initiate (0) Aug 10, 2014 Georgia

Found a few Treehouse Saps that had somehow moved their way to the back of the fridge a few days ago. They've been hiding back there at least 2-3 months and I had completely forgotten them. They held up nicely.

CrimeDog likes this.
  28. Donco

Donco Devotee (486) Aug 12, 2013 Pennsylvania

Drinking good beer requires a bit of discipline...:wink:

29. Donco

Donco Devotee (486) Aug 12, 2013 Pennsylvania

Like this thread. Recently "discovered" a bottle of Founders Sweet Repute (now 3 years old) & a bottle of BCBS from '13. Yum...

Donaldearl likes this.
  30. Donaldearl

I kept thinking I bought more, so happy when I found it.

Brolo75 likes this.
  31. skleice

skleice Aspirant (299) Aug 6, 2015 Connecticut

Is it weird that I keep a current list of hops on my phone? :flushed:

Heady Topper - 3
    Focal Banger - 3
    Crusher - 3
    Stillings St - 5
    Congress St - 3
    Vicinity - 3
    Very Green - 1

I don't keep track of the other styles so closely, but I don't forget about them either.

HorseheadsHophead and CrimeDog like this.
  32. Donaldearl

Many times I rush to the caller before the wife can see the new stash. Anything to avoid " the look" right?

33. TriggerFingers

TriggerFingers Initiate (0) Apr 29, 2012 California

Since we are moving in a few weeks I packed up my cellar area a week ago and yes, I too found some KBS I had forgotten about, along with a bottle of Parabola. I was more surprised at the amount of wine I had amassed from our winery-direct wine club. I found bottles I thought I had already consumed, so that was a very pleasant surprise.

CCBone and Donaldearl like this.
  34. harbinger

harbinger Initiate (0) Jan 30, 2015 District of Columbia

Last year I stuck a bunch of Backwoods Bastard and Xocoveza into a lower cupboard to make space during the holidays, then forgot all about them until August. I was so happy to find them that I'd almost do it again, but I would never be able to make myself forget.

Victory_Sabre1973 and Donaldearl like this.
  35. ManforallSaisons

ManforallSaisons Devotee (425) Mar 20, 2008 Belgium

It's been a few years, but I used to be in the habit of buying a case of some or other quad to set aside a year or two, before it would rotate in as my "house" big gun. Once I was at a good wholesaler and had picked out a bunch of other stuff. I thought maybe I was overdue for stocking up, so started to grab a case of St. Bernardus 12. I changed my mind just because of how much else I'd already bought that day. But when I got the haul home and went to put in the basement, I found a case of the St. B. that had been there, I figured out, probably 2 years... It was like discovering that you'd gone back in time to send yourself a present.

Number1Framer, FBarber, nc41 and 5 others like this.
  36. Ozzylizard

Ozzylizard Poo-Bah (4,909) Oct 5, 2013 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

The most exciting "lost" beer I've ever found was a Maggie' Farmhouse Ale, limited release #7, from Terrapin, circa 2009. I've got to crack it one of these days, maybe 2 Feb?

dcotom, Reef and Donaldearl like this.
  37. zstef99

zstef99 Initiate (0) Dec 25, 2008 New York

I recently discovered one bottle each of Hill Farmstead Arthur, Anna, and Dorothy in my cellar. There's a small shelf in our storage room where I keep my beer, but when I came back from Vermont a couple years ago I had so much beer it wouldn't fit on the shelf. It stayed in a crate in the floor and at some point the crate was covered by something. It was a pleasant surprise when I rediscovered them after more than a year. All three still tasted great, although the Citra was mostly gone from Dorothy.

Donaldearl likes this.
  38. Thirst_trappist

Thirst_trappist Disciple (352) Jan 18, 2016 Florida
    Trader

I'm thinking this is partly what the OP meant

but ya I once noticed I had a cycle pallet left....thought i drank/traded them all haha

39. bbtkd

Society Trader

I hear ya! Not sure my wife, as pretty much a non-drinker, gets craft beer cellaring. I have explained how I am into stouts which are often seasonal, so stocking up makes sense. She has seen the cellar (a shelf in the basement) and she seems to be tolerating it, but I also try not to be seen frequently restocking it. If I bring beer home when she is here, I don't hide it, but so much easier if she isn't.

40. CrimeDog

CrimeDog Initiate (0) Dec 31, 2015 New York

Totally, she gets soooo pissed....I feel like I'm a decent guy in so many other ways....just let me have my ray of sunshine!

NCGreg and Donaldearl like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.