Opinions on "Muling" Groups

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by wino47, Jul 10, 2013.

What are your opinions on muling groups

1. I'm okay with it

2. I strongly disagree with it

3. I couldn't care less

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. redblacks75

redblacks75 Aspirant (228) Oct 29, 2010 Iowa
    Beer Trader

The fact that people are shocked by the existence of such a thing, or phenomena is shocking to me.

Imposing one's own morality, on a group of people that could probably care less about your self-imposed beliefs is asking for defeat.

Righteousness is a quality I detest, but, I don't go calling people out for out, as I really have no influence over it.

People will game the game, people will take advantage of the system; that is life.
  2. joeebbs

joeebbs Initiate (0) Apr 29, 2009 Pennsylvania

or spending $30 for a beer when you could get a case of craft for $40.
  3. yankeepride

yankeepride Disciple (376) Jan 16, 2011 New Jersey
    Beer Trader

Based on the bottle share I went to in NYC the day of savor, many of the people on this site are plenty cool enough to share their amazing stuff anyway, so I say "eh, whatever." I mean damn, I got to nab a swig of Isabelle Proximus, so however that person came by the bottle is irrelevant to me. There is so much awesome beer in the world today that if my money doesn't get to one of them, I've learned to stop being a hater (I might even forgive you, Founders, for your pathetic repsonse to the KBS web sale nightmare) and just reallocate my money to something else, whether it's a whale or some kick-ass local beer that may even be just as good, but just produced in higher volume.
  4. evilcatfish

evilcatfish Defender (624) May 11, 2012 Missouri
    Beer Trader

Here are two things I have to say about muling;

1. Bringing a buddy or girlfriend/wife to a release to get you that extra bottle isn't a big deal. Chances are such a person will drink a couple beers there or has given the establishment business in the past

2. Paying a bunch of bums/weirdos off the street to stand in line so you can hoard several times the per person allocation is just plain shitty. For more info on such instances look up the threads on the BA Abraxas release

PS: no offense to bums or weirdos
    Crafty99 and beertunes like this.
  5. CassinoNorth

CassinoNorth Disciple (304) Apr 5, 2013 New Jersey
    Beer Trader

I'm in the couldn't care less category....cause I'm perfectly content not spending hours of my life for a single bottle of incredibly expensive beer.
    Dracarys likes this.
  6. nanobrew

nanobrew Initiate (0) Dec 31, 2008 California

so we know they care at least a little about others self-imposed beliefs, but how much is the question.
  7. b00m_b00m

b00m_b00m Initiate (0) Jul 10, 2013 California

could have fooled me.

pretty sure I heard her say. "don't touch my cantillons"
  8. AlexHouston

AlexHouston Initiate (161) May 19, 2011 Illinois
    Beer Trader

I suppose we learn a couple things from these rehashed discussions:
    People driving the big SUVs or mini-vans have an increased chance at being a mule
    Mulers more often than not are doing this for benefit of Hoarders
    Many of us are beer advocates to a point
    Somehow, someway, this conversation always boils down to "supply/demand", "capitalism" and "free-market."

What I don't see too much though is are people's opinions consistent in other situations. For instance, when you buy Zombie Dust, do you buy the whole case or just a six-pack? Or when a special barrel aged beer is tapped at a takeover, do you have only one glass and let others have a round? How about this: You go to your bottle shop and see a rare beer with no restriction. How many do you take?

If you going to advocate for either side, at least be consistent about it. Otherwise, you're just an opportunist, which is fine, but at least be honest about it.
  9. AlexHouston

AlexHouston Initiate (161) May 19, 2011 Illinois
    Beer Trader

And stupid typos are what I get for writing rushed replys while at work. Blast!
  10. Beeryurt

Beeryurt Aspirant (202) Mar 8, 2013 Wisconsin
    Beer Trader

If they are buying it to drink it at some point who cares how someone gets it, if they are just buying it sell it on places like * then f'm....granted if someone is willing to pay way more then the beer is worth its their thing and its not hurting me, they just annoy me which is my right also, its also my right to forget what point I was trying to make here
  11. RangnaR

RangnaR Initiate (0) Dec 17, 2012 California

I think the only muling that should be allowed is when you actually have to shove the extra bottles up your *** like a drug mule.

...although good luck trading those. e.g.: "For trade: a Parabola that came from my Abyss"
    beertunes likes this.
  12. Blanco

Blanco Devotee (458) Oct 11, 2008 Pennsylvania
    Beer Trader

I think threads like this are the reason that I don't really trade (except a few bottles here and there with local friends when I/they come across something out of state) and I don't really do bottle releases. I get why people care because I too would be pissed about missing out on things that I've invested time/money/effort on. But it seems like worrying about ground rules and the detailed etiquette ("it's ok to do this, but only if you are doing this, and NOT doing this") would take all the fun out of beer drinking.
    Crafty99 likes this.
  13. derftron

derftron Disciple (342) Feb 8, 2012 Oregon

I like beer, in fact I really enjoy beer. But in reading this thread, I now know what I never want to become. Obsessive beer-nerd guy who trades and hoards beer like a 5th grader did Pogs, or Magic the Gathering cards. In fact, I have stumbled upon beer events and literally felt pity for the guy in the bar taking multiple pictures of beer in a pint glass. Yes, the "rare" beer adds some hype/intrigue to the situation, but have some self respect. Camping out? Driving 10 hours and stocking a mini-van full? C'mon man. I knew there were serious beer-nerds out there, but this thread highlighted how much worse it is than what I thought. I found myself in line for 20 minutes to try PtY and even that felt stupid.

Im really not trying to dampen the enthusiasm, as trying something awesome that many will never try does lend itself to some satisfaction. And if you are willing to camp out and hire bums to get more than me, have fun with that. You can drink your Dark Lord or CFH and then race to the comment section to rub in just how religeous of an experience it was, I will be ok drinking one of the 500 other beers that are available.

Suffice to say I will never find myself at an event where "mules" are needed.
  14. FakeDeniro

FakeDeniro Initiate (0) May 14, 2012 Minnesota

I will mule the shit out of Pudding cups! Let me get my Tahoe
  15. crossovert

crossovert Initiate (0) Mar 29, 2009 Illinois

Don't think so. Again this is what I consider muling.
  16. VaTechHopHead

VaTechHopHead Initiate (0) Jan 9, 2008

Agreed, beer is stupid.
    b00m_b00m and gyberic like this.
  17. GreenCoffee

GreenCoffee Initiate (0) Jul 2, 2012 Illinois

Everyone wants to be some sort of Robeern Hood. It's totally okay to circumvent the spirit of a bottle limit for personal gain as long as you are "spreading the wealth," apparently.

"No it's cool. I can have access to more bottles than the store/brewery says I should have because I'm such a good person. My case of trade ammo is for the benefit of others only. The beer clout points I get are purely coincidental."
  18. AutumnBeerLove

AutumnBeerLove Aspirant (241) Oct 16, 2010 Vermont
    Beer Trader

I like this thread. Everyone arguing over different definitions of "muling."

Joined a group and I love it.

Maybe they can combine this thread with a "no one knows how to trade beer anymore" thread.
    ajtorres311 likes this.
  19. SDStoneEnthusiast

SDStoneEnthusiast Initiate (0) Feb 24, 2013 California

I think you're missing the point of muling? :astonished:
  20. slentz

slentz Initiate (0) Mar 20, 2010 Pennsylvania

That really depends. If she is ugly then yes you're a dick. If she is hot then its all good.
    gyberic and VaTechHopHead like this.
  21. GreenCoffee

Like someone else said, maybe we're all talking different definitions.

What some people seem to call it (just buying a metric shit ton to trade) is fine with, I assume, almost everyone. You get your allotment and then do whatever you want with it.

As far as I call it/know it, "muling" is when you bring additional people "mules" purely to circumvent limits on how much you can purchase. I.e., the mules have no interest in buying it for themselves. They are doing it just so the actual recipient (the "muler" if you will) can buy more than his/her allotment.

My response had more to do with the usual defense of this behavior (e.g., "I can bring 10 mules if I want because I share what I buy."). Suffice to say, I don't think that bringing things to bottle shares and/or trading it and/or giving it to buddies gives one any special justification to skirt the system put in place by the store/brewery. Call me skeptical that these behaviors are as mega-altruistic as they are often presented.
  22. RangnaR

I'm confused... I don't see how the first part is okay (buying a van full of beer/potentially leaving so many others empty-handed) but the rest of it is a problem. To me, the only difference is hiring others to help you buy your "metric shit ton", if you will. Or, maybe two differences if you include whether or not said brewery has a limit or not...
  23. MJsGhost

MJsGhost Aspirant (272) Jun 30, 2013 New York
    Beer Trader

I think the half hour I spent reading these posts would have been better spent with my friends while we waited in line at walmart for the new bud can release
    AnchorBaby likes this.
  24. TurdFurgison

TurdFurgison Poo-Bah (3,058) May 29, 2005 Ohio
    Beer Trader

On the subject of mules I'm conflicted. For ultra-low-count bottles it's really aggravating, such as at Toronado 25th, where one guy brought 5 asian friends to take the first 6 spots in line, all bottles going to him. They all played by the rules but in doing so they set the bar for everyone else (now you've got to arrive 18 hours early if you want one of the 6 CC bottles which might be sold).

For anything >200 bottles released I couldn't care less. Who's to say what's right? Not me, I'm a notorious line cutter.
  25. RangnaR

Maybe instead of "muling", we should refer to it as "seagulling", as in the sea gulls from Finding Nemo..
    "Mine!.. mine!... mine! ..... mine!"
  26. utopiajane

utopiajane Poo-Bah (2,431) Jun 11, 2013 New York

Reminds me of baseball cards. Used to be a nice way to spend an afternoon, looking at a baseball game, rooting for your team and getting a card in a 10 cent pack of gum Now it's high falutin big business and cut throat to boot. If it's not fun anymore , then why do it? Get in line at dawn . . . wha . . to buy some beer?!

(That's called an interrobang btw - that punctuation with the ? and the !.)

And I could leave empty handed? Do what's right.
    JayORear likes this.
  27. derftron

derftron Disciple (342) Feb 8, 2012 Oregon

Beer is awesome. Geeking out to the point of desperation is stupid.
  28. GreenCoffee

I think the key for me is when someone is doing what's in bold. It's about respecting the limits placed by the brewery/store. If they are putting limits in place, it's because they want the beer to be purchased by many people. Someone who is muling (as I define it) is basically saying "fuck that I'm getting more because fuck you I want more." (If the store/brewery hasn't set a limit, then the-free-for-all is fine by me. Either they believe the supply is great enough to not need a limit or they are fine with one person being able to buy assloads of the beer.)

I just think it's rude. Some people are just plain proud of being rude. Some come up with a convoluted explanation for why it's not rude when they do it. Sure whatever - it's not like it ruins my day. I manage to get just about every release I want in the end. Just don't expect me to buy whatever bullshit story someone spins about why their muling is altruistic behavior.
    beerdrifter and kzoobrew like this.
  29. JayORear

JayORear Savant (910) Feb 22, 2012 California
    Premium Member Beer Trader

[quote="TurdFurgison, post: 1500092, member: ] where one guy brought 5 asian friends

Um, what?
  30. sibhuskyx

sibhuskyx Initiate (144) Jun 2, 2008 New Jersey
    Beer Trader

This has been going on in southern california for years.
  31. Photekut

Photekut Initiate (0) Mar 31, 2006 Tennessee

Not sure if it has been said, too many posts, but I wonder what the breakdown of the poll results are by year joined BA.
  32. Ispeakforthetrees

Ispeakforthetrees Aspirant (232) Apr 2, 2012 Colorado

Greatest humble brag ever.
  33. impending

impending Meyvn (1,096) Mar 12, 2010 California

read what you wrote here
    I'm guessing it makes you uncomfortable now
    VABA likes this.
  34. BigJim5021

BigJim5021 Zealot (591) Sep 2, 2007 Indiana
    Beer Trader

Brewery-only bottle releases can kiss my ass. Voted "couldn't care less" seeing as I'm not gonna get my hands on any of these types of beers anyhow.
  35. KS1297

KS1297 Initiate (0) Apr 14, 2013 Wisconsin

when fedex ships beer for you and they make a profit, its called a business.

when a regular guy buys a couple cases and goes on a road trip, he's a scumbag hoarding douche mule.
  36. TurdFurgison

TurdFurgison Poo-Bah (3,058) May 29, 2005 Ohio
    Beer Trader

Er, yeah that does look awkward. I meant it to be descriptive, not ugly in any way.

When I was in line I didn't think they were mules, it wasn't until we were inside that I heard he scored all the bottles for himself.
    impending likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.