Dismiss Notice
Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Join us December 9th in Los Angeles for the ultimate throwdown of craft beer creativity!

Learn more...
Dismiss Notice
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Opinions: Oskar Blues Gubna

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by ipamonster, Jul 17, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ipamonster

ipamonster Initiate (0) Jun 18, 2013 Rhode Island

What's everyone's take on this beer? I bought 4 pack the other day and really enjoyed the first two (they followed Founder's Devil Dancer). The next two were kind of meh. Can't figure it out.

2. BottleCaps80

BottleCaps80 Zealot (595) Jan 12, 2013 Iowa
    Beer Trader

Onion bomb. Blame Summit hops.

3. drtth

drtth Poo-Bah (3,200) Nov 25, 2007 Pennsylvania

All in one evening or spread out over a couple of days?

4. ipamonster

First two were last Friday. One last night, one as we speak

5. BB1313

BB1313 Poo-Bah (2,483) Jul 16, 2009 Ohio

They just recently changed the recipe. It used to be 100% Summit hops, but I'm not sure what the combo is now. I never tried the original version, but I think the new version is pretty solid..

6. beercanman

beercanman Initiate (0) Dec 17, 2012 Ohio

Devil dancer ruined my palate. Reset your palate and try again. I love gubna.

johnsonni, clonebrewer and drtth like this.
  7. clonebrewer

clonebrewer Initiate (0) Sep 5, 2009 Iowa
    Subscriber Beer Trader

I agree - I couldn't taste paint thinner after a devil dancer. I've always been a fan of the Gubna.

beercanman likes this.
  8. ipamonster

That's the weird part, I thought it was great immediately following the dancer. Now, eh, it's okay

9. mroberts1204

mroberts1204 Initiate (0) Apr 17, 2009 California
    Beer Trader

DanE and BB1313 like this.
  10. drtth

Yeah, as others said, it's your palate not the beer. The DD changed the way it tasted. That effect is wearing off.

11. nc41

nc41 Meyvn (1,466) Sep 25, 2008 North Carolina
    Beer Trader

Don't like Gubna at all.

12. clonebrewer

Subscriber Beer Trader

It could just be the cocktail effect man. Anytime you're enjoying some 12% triple IPA, you might find a malty double IPA to be a tasty reprieve. However, I still think if you melt your face off with 2 Dancers in one night it could have a lasting effect...

Buff0910 likes this.
  13. ipamonster

Might be it. Could just be that it is hot as balls in R.I. Right now and a dipa isn't what I was looking for

Mikecap likes this.
  14. clonebrewer

Subscriber Beer Trader

LOL...live and learn brother! Live and learn.

15. VonZipper

VonZipper Disciple (398) Feb 9, 2011 New York
    Beer Trader

I"ll let you know once it's not $18 a 4 pack.

SenorHops and frankthetank86 like this.
  16. ipamonster

14.99 in RI

17. bennetj17

bennetj17 Meyvn (1,374) Oct 30, 2005 Arizona
    Beer Trader

It was pretty decent when I first tried it. Haven't bought one in a couple years now since I can never find it very fresh.

18. FriarTuckInLuck

FriarTuckInLuck Initiate (0) Dec 15, 2011 Arizona

Had one after the recipe change, out of the can, with a couple months on it and was unimpressed. The one I had a couple years ago on draft blew my doors off. I guess I just love them spicy, dank, onion bombs baby!

nickfl and cavedave like this.
  19. jzeilinger

jzeilinger Poo-Bah (4,752) Dec 4, 2004 Pennsylvania
    Supporter Beer Trader

Gubna has never gotten enough love that it deserves. It's a solid beer that's unfortunately been pidgeonholed.

Beerandraiderfan likes this.
  20. LaneMeyer

LaneMeyer Initiate (0) Mar 20, 2011 California

Good beer and if it was cheaper I would have bought more.

21. guyforget

guyforget Initiate (0) Nov 12, 2009 Colorado

22. EgadBananas

EgadBananas Initiate (0) Mar 18, 2009 Louisiana

blivingston1985 likes this.
  23. cavedave

cavedave Poo-Bah (2,238) Mar 12, 2009 New York
    Beer Trader

Loved it with original recipe and original price. Seems Oskar Blues really knows how to feature Summit. High price and different recipe have kept me away for a while now.

24. utopiajane

utopiajane Poo-Bah (2,386) Jun 11, 2013 New York

I've actually had beer from the same six pack that I thought was discernably different in quality. I wondered if my perceptions were somehow at fault until it happened twice. Ithaca beer cold front and great lakes commodore perry.

25. DanE

DanE Disciple (328) Feb 24, 2012 Connecticut

I enjoyed the 100% Summit as well. Saying it is an "Onion IPA" seems so two years ago. Recent batches are much sweater than I remember. I have been drinking Green Flash IIPA uses recently which uses Summit very nicely.

26. m4ttj0nes

m4ttj0nes Aspirant (204) Feb 21, 2012 Oregon
    Beer Trader

I think it is overpriced and I completely ignore it.

Noelito76 and Providence like this.
  27. nc41

nc41 Meyvn (1,466) Sep 25, 2008 North Carolina
    Beer Trader

G Knight is so much better IMO, and only the lack of fresh cans keeps me from buying it. It's brewed here cans on the shelf are at it's oldest 11/12, newest 3/13. I was in MB and they had 6/13 canning dates, what's wrong with this picture?

28. Derranged

Derranged Devotee (479) Mar 7, 2010 New York

I really liked this beer and I did not taste any onion or garlic like others have said. Only thing is that its too pricey in New York.

29. Thads324

Thads324 Initiate (0) Jan 21, 2010 Connecticut

Probably my least favorite beer of theirs. There is a weird watery spot in the middle of the profile. The hops are big and oniony. Just not at all my thing

30. drtth

Visit a brewery and watch the beer being bottled/canned and then packed for shipment. When two bottles come from the same tank/batch along the same pipe and into the the same filling machine and then are separated only by two filling tubes leading into the two containers that are shipped to you side by side through the same handling conditions, you'll find it easer to restablish your belief in the variability of your perceptions from one bottle to the next. Especially if you drink the two bottles at different times on different days when you've had different things to eat and drink. etc.

VonZipper, utopiajane and cavedave like this.
  31. utopiajane

utopiajane Poo-Bah (2,386) Jun 11, 2013 New York

Thanks I have been wondering about this.

32. cavedave

cavedave Poo-Bah (2,238) Mar 12, 2009 New York
    Beer Trader

While true, the predominance of stores doing mix sixers has left something to the imagination of when and how beers got placed in the same six pack holder. Perhaps not something that occurs to a Pa. resident.

33. cmmcdonn

cmmcdonn Initiate (0) Jun 21, 2009 Virginia

I won't even buy a beer that's next to GUBNA on the shelf for fear of leaching the onion taste.

34. Domingo

Domingo Poo-Bah (2,229) Apr 23, 2005 Colorado
    Subscriber Beer Trader

I've come to the conclusion that you either HATE summit hops or you can't detect that oniony flavor at all. I know a few people that think summit beers taste pretty much like everything else.
    For me they taste like a mix of garlic, salt, and even meaty tomato sauce. Things I love in just about any other context but beer.
    The Gubna is pretty much the king of that summit character, although the newer recipe at least dials it back a little bit.

35. rather

rather Aspirant (260) May 31, 2013 California

$4 for 12 oz can no thanks. I tried it ages ago but will revisit maybe as my palate has improved

36. ripps1

ripps1 Initiate (0) Aug 28, 2012 New Jersey

I had it back when it was still 100% summit hops. I enjoyed it, and did not find any onion taste to it. I have to see if I can grab a single can of the new recipe and see if it still holds up.

37. alexipa

alexipa Devotee (439) Oct 7, 2011 Colorado
    Beer Trader

Lot's of people saying this is too expensive but would buy an $8 bomber of a DIPA without hesitation. Not saying you specifically, but people make me laugh.

38. ipamonster

Plus, you'd be paying $4 for a Coors Light or Bud at a bar, so $4 for a good beer is a pretty good deal.

39. otispdriftwood

otispdriftwood Defender (631) Dec 9, 2011 Colorado
    Beer Trader

True, but you wouldn't get to interact with all of those Coors Light/Bud drinkers.

SenorHops and alucard6679 like this.
  40. nickfl

nickfl Poo-Bah (3,436) Mar 7, 2006 Florida
    Beer Trader

I loved it when it first came out, but the new version is a shadow of what it once was.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Founded in Boston in 1996, BeerAdvocate (BA) is your go-to resource for beer powered by an independent community of enthusiasts and professionals dedicated to supporting and promoting better beer.

Learn More
  • Our Community

Comprised of consumers and industry professionals, many of whom started as members of this site, our community is one of the oldest, largest, and most respected beer communities online.
  • Our Events

Since 2003 we've hosted over 60 world-class beer festivals to bring awareness to independent brewers and educate attendees.
  • Our Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.