Oppermanns vs. Tippins vs. Brass Mug

Discussion in 'US - Midwest' started by SournRare, Apr 22, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SournRare

SournRare Initiate (0) Dec 2, 2012 Michigan

Can someone breakdown the difference between these 3 versions of BBPT5?

Cheers!

2. dmhurdle

dmhurdle Initiate (0) Apr 30, 2013 Michigan

I haven't seen a confirmation for the brass mug yet. Did that really happen?

3. Ckoz

Ckoz Disciple (307) Feb 15, 2014 Michigan
    Trader

From what I understand brass mug and oppermanns both had 3 barrels sent to Dark Horse. It is unclear if dark horse blended everything together and bottled them for each store or not. I have yet to try oppermans so I'm unsure myself.

As far as tippins goes they only sent one barrel to them so I don't think they are the same as the other 2.

I have tasted both tippins and brass but not side by side. They were both similar but I wouldn't say they were the same.

#3 Ckoz, Apr 22, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2014
  4. imfrommichigan

imfrommichigan Initiate (0) Jul 12, 2012 Utah

Tippins is aged in Eagle Rare 10 year barrels while Oppermann's and Brass Mug were aged in a combo of Elijah Craig 12 year and Eagle Rare single barrels for 20 months. Not sure how long the Tippin's was aged. Presumably the same.

I'm sure someone actually with the bottles would be a better source than I. I just speak with what I read on the interwebs.

SournRare and Ckoz like this.
  5. tommyz

tommyz Initiate (0) May 28, 2007 Michigan

ALL were blended together...I was at brass mug today and the owner told me that Darkhorse told all the stores that after everything was aged, everything was blended together as it was too hard to bottle just single barrels...

BoneyardBrewer and alex021224 like this.
  6. dmhurdle

So are the Oppermans the same as the Brass Mug, but with different labels?

7. Stevedore

Stevedore Poo-Bah (6,524) Nov 16, 2012 Oregon
    Society Trader

I am so confused right now.

4DAloveofSTOUT, Duff27 and EricGreen like this.
  8. BEERschlitz

BEERschlitz Initiate (0) Oct 13, 2013 Michigan

I probably have the best palate in the world, so please, send me one of each and I'll straighten this whole mess out. :grinning:

Cottzilla, Ferocious and tommyz like this.
  9. tommyz

Its pretty easy....Oppermans put their own labels on it...the others did not....I dont think the owner of brass mug would say his beer is the same as Oppermans and Tippins if it was not...Would seem if he was lying he would make his out to be "special"

Also, I know someone who had both and says both are the same....

You can take it for what it is...

Benny3000 likes this.
  10. Stevedore

Society Trader

Alright, so if I'm understanding correctly, all 3 store-brand BBPT5 are the same blend of Eagle Rare and EC12, probably blended in a 2:1 ratio but who knows. This does make sense if all 3 stores were getting their bottles around the same time, when its all ready it's all ready.

tommyz likes this.
  11. camil1mj

camil1mj Initiate (0) Oct 4, 2010 Michigan

I have had Oppermans and Brass Mug. They taste the same. Also, the owner of the Brass Mug told me the same thing today. They are all the same.

tommyz likes this.
  12. dmhurdle

Thanks for clearing it up man. I was really confused too. Why doesn't brass mug do social media?

tommyz likes this.
  13. tommyz

Just incase some of you were still weary about this, this quote came from someone I know who was at the Dark Horse beer dinner at one eyed bettys...

"Talked to one of the brewers tonight at the Dark Horse dinner and he confirmed that it was all mixed for bottling. Just a heads up in case you were trying to trade."

JohnB87, JoeStepOner, TheGoof and 3 others like this.
  14. Runninmixz

Runninmixz Initiate (0) Sep 22, 2012 Michigan

This is good to know. Was thinking about tracking some down.

15. JasonR1975

JasonR1975 Zealot (572) Jun 11, 2013 Michigan
    Trader

Got the same from both the owner at Brass Mug and Chris from DH yesterday. All mixed for bottling. We must have passed by each other at both spots!

tommyz likes this.
  16. dmhurdle

So how many barrels did each place send and how many cases did each place get to sell? It seems to me like Tippins got fewer cases than everybody else. Also, the guy at Tippins was saying that their BBPt5 were Eagle Rare.

17. Ckoz

Trader

I think Oppermanns and Brass both sent 3...Tippins sent one.

I think Oppermanns had 55 cases, Tippins had around 18...and Brass Mug seemed to have quite a few...probably around the 55 that Oppermanns had from the looks of it.

18. Zaphog

Zaphog Poo-Bah (2,982) Sep 23, 2011 Michigan
    Society Trader

I know for sure that Opperman's sent 2 Elijah Craig 12 Year barrels and 1 Eagle Rare Single Barrel barrel. They received 55 cases. Tippin's, I heard, sent just 1 barrel of Eagle Rare Single Barrel and received 18 cases. I am not sure about Brass Mug though.

19. tommyz

Brass Mug sent 3 barrels...2 elijah craig and 1 eagle rare

Zaphog likes this.
  20. Zaphog

Zaphog Poo-Bah (2,982) Sep 23, 2011 Michigan
    Society Trader

So by the sound of it ... DH filled 4 barrels of Elijah Craig 12 Year with Pt5 and also filled 3 barrels of Eagle Rare Single Barrel with Pt5, then aged it all for about 20 months. They then blended it all together, bottled it and sent it to Opperman's, Tippin's and Brass Mug. 55 cases to Opperman's, 55 cases to Brass Mug and 18 cases to Tippin's ... all the same blend.

JohnB87 and tommyz like this.
  21. alex021224

alex021224 Aspirant (279) Nov 3, 2012 Michigan

So what do we call it Brass Tipperman's BBPT5?

wezzul likes this.
  22. patol8

patol8 Initiate (0) Jul 6, 2010 Michigan

I'd go with BOT BBPT5. Owner of Brass Mug said he sent 6 barrels and dark horse still owes him 80 cases.

JoeStepOner likes this.
  23. Ckoz

Trader

I know the guy said they wanted to do a BA Double CT...hopefully thats what the other barrels are for?

24. CraftyBastard

CraftyBastard Initiate (0) Sep 14, 2013 Michigan

I've been going to Brass Mug for years and Louie, the owner knows me quite well. He told me they sent DH an Elijah Craig 12, Even Williams 12 and an Eagle Rare barrel and received 55 cases in total.

His son told me they sent DH three more barrels that they plan to have DCT put into. One was a Dickel and I can't remember the other two barrels he said they sent them.

Hope this clears up any confusion?... In reality it probably just causes more confusion. Oh well.

-Nolan

camil1mj, JoeStepOner and tommyz like this.
  25. jsavoie604

jsavoie604 Initiate (0) Feb 23, 2014 Michigan

i was in there eariler today one of the next three barrels was a buffalo trance, forgot the other one he said

26. fishmich

fishmich Initiate (0) Apr 11, 2013 Michigan

the Buffalo Trace barrel is likely Eagle Rare.

27. sarcastro

sarcastro Aspirant (222) Sep 20, 2006 Michigan

Without trying any of the version, I declare Tippin's to be the best based on rarity alone.

steebo777 and iceatalamo like this.
  28. mcomben

mcomben Initiate (0) Dec 2, 2008 Michigan

Does Brass Mug still have it and if so what are they charging?

29. dmhurdle

This thread should be renamed the great BBPt5 mystery! There's been some fine detective work done so far and I applaud other BAs for their contributions in trying to piece this together.

Some things we don't know:
    1. How many of each barrel was used?
    2. Were all the barrels aged the same amount of time?
    3. What has Dark Horse said about any of these releases (publicly, and not word of mouth)?
    4. Are there any more secret stores that we don't know about that also provided barrels?
    5. What should the name of this stuff be? If it was all blended it doesn't seem right to have 3 names for the same beer. BOT BBPT5 sounds like a good acronym, but I like the sound of Mystery Barrel Pt5. Maybe a poll thread would be a good solution.

Some things we do know:
    1. Empty barrels from stores were given to Dark Horse and filled with Pt5
    2. Opperman's was released first, followed by Tippin's, and then, (perhaps) finally the Brass Mug
    3. What seemed like Opperman's BBPt5, really doesn't sound like it was just theirs anymore

30. patol8

patol8 Initiate (0) Jul 6, 2010 Michigan

$6.99 a bottle, don't know if still available.

mcomben likes this.
  31. CraftyBastard

CraftyBastard Initiate (0) Sep 14, 2013 Michigan

My buddy went up there this morning and grabbed an allotment (8 bottles). I was in there yesterday afternoon (3p.m.-ish) and they still had about 20 cases.

32. jsavoie604

jsavoie604 Initiate (0) Feb 23, 2014 Michigan

there were 3 or 4 cases out on the floor around noon today.

33. Stevedore

Society Trader

Well, I'll have to just say that my mild confusion has returned, as far as exactly what I'd be drinking when its Opperman's vs Brass Mug etc.. maybe I shouldn't think about it at all and just drink the shit.

34. schepelz

schepelz Initiate (0) Apr 4, 2013 Michigan

Whatever the blend is....it is magical. Thanks @jsavoie604 for the heads up on it still being available.

I've been sipping for an hour and still have half the glass left haha

35. Blowofftube

Blowofftube Initiate (86) Dec 26, 2012 Michigan

I need a bottle or 2, any extras out there?

36. schepelz

schepelz Initiate (0) Apr 4, 2013 Michigan

If you're in the area tomorrow, try and give them a call and see if they have any left. Was there at 6:30 and they had roughly 2.5 cases left.

If not, shoot me a BM

37. Blowofftube

Blowofftube Initiate (86) Dec 26, 2012 Michigan

Just looked up where brass mug was, unfortunately I'll be in flint all day tomorrow. Bummer. Asking my bro to see if he can pick some up for me since he lives in Redford. Cheers for the look out.

38. tommyz

My Answers in Bold:

Some things we don't know:
    1. How many of each barrel was used?
    This has been stated above and I made sure yesterday talking to the guy at brass mug - Brass Mug Elijah Craig 12, Even Williams 12 and an Eagle Rare barrel, Tippins an Eagle Rare 10, Oppermans Elijah Craig 12 year and Eagle Rare barrels.

2. Were all the barrels aged the same amount of time?
    20 Months

3. What has Dark Horse said about any of these releases (publicly, and not word of mouth)?
    I posted what the brewer said at the one eyed bettys dinner..They were all combined to make bottling easier..

4. Are there any more secret stores that we don't know about that also provided barrels?
    I was told NO...But was told this may be somthing that could be done every year

5. What should the name of this stuff be? If it was all blended it doesn't seem right to have 3 names for the same beer. BOT BBPT5 sounds like a good acronym, but I like the sound of Mystery Barrel Pt5. Maybe a poll thread would be a good solution.
    Gotta be honest, I LOVE BOT BBPT5

39. EB1

EB1 Zealot (526) Aug 18, 2013 California
    Trader

Tipperman'a Mug bbpt5? Brass Oppin's?

40. alfie

alfie Initiate (152) Apr 16, 2013 Michigan

Just over one case left as of 11:30am

dmhurdle likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.