Oregon Beer News (2019)

Discussion in 'Northwest' started by weaverr, Jan 25, 2019.

1. sharpski

sharpski Meyvn (1,125) Oct 11, 2010 Oregon
    Society Trader

As someone with a little bit of insight, there are a handful of Brewers/breweries who put energy and strategy into entering competitions beyond “winning a medal would be fun.” They play the game better than most and increase their likelihood of medals. Not saying it’s good or bad, and I have no idea if the tweaking or the medals results in a noticeable sales impact, but if there’s to be a next generation of Oliver/Calagione/Cilurzo/etc. public faces and “titans” of beer, my money’s on these smart folks. Not because being good at competitions is a key to that success, but because it’s indicative of a big picture approach to how they keep making their beer better.

derkruk likes this.
  2. imposterzilla

imposterzilla Initiate (83) Jan 23, 2019 Washington

Great Sex brewing you say? You so could claim you are going to Portland for sex and beer? LMAO! And i agree totally what sharpski said above. These guys have talent and could totally dominate.

3. Reidrover

Reidrover Poo-Bah (3,398) Jan 14, 2003 Oregon
    Society

Thats sad for me that thinks 10 Barrel etc suck the life out of craft beer and hide who they are.
    Then awards ever meant sh*t to me in my life so i guess i am weird

4. weaverr

weaverr Initiate (161) Jun 10, 2008 Oregon

Portland Farmhouse and Wild Ale Festival coming up April 5-7th.

Anyone go to this in years past? It sounds interesting but given the subject matter I'm a little concerned everything is going to cost a lot of tickets. If I'm just paying retail price for every pour of beer, why am I paying admission?

beertunes likes this.
  5. John_M

John_M Poo-Bah (6,337) Oct 25, 2003 Oregon
    Moderator Society Trader

I've gone several times including last year.

Not everything costs multiple tickets, but yeah, quite a few do (Propolis and Ale Apothecary for example). It can get pretty spendy I guess (I usually drop around $50 for this event), but there's a lot of variety and you'll get to taste some interesting stuff. The collectable branded glass isn't worth $17.40 obviously (I can't give mine away), but unfortunately, it's the cost of admission if you want to attend this event. The biggest problem I have with this event, is that it's impossible to know when they're going to be pouring what. Last year for example, I made a list of the beers I really wanted to try (around 20), and if I recall correctly, I didn't get to try more than 2 or 3 beers on the list.

If you really like sours and farmhouse beers, it can be a pretty fun time. I'm not personally a huge sour beer fan, but even so, I think this is a fun event to attend every few years.

#45 John_M, Mar 19, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2019
    beertunes and weaverr like this.
  6. weaverr

I assume $50 is basically 30-35 tokens plus admission overhead. That’s not terrible. I was worried it would be a ton of 6-token samples or some such nonsense (I would avoid Ale Apothecary at such an event).

beertunes likes this.
  7. John_M

Moderator Society Trader

I've gone several times including last year.

Not everything costs multiple tickets, but yeah, quite a few do (Propolis and Ale Apothecary for example). It can get pretty spendy I guess (I usually drop around $50 for this event), but there's a lot of variety and you'll get to taste some interesting stuff. The collectable branded glass isn't worth $17.40 obviously (I can't give mine away), but unfortunately, it's the cost of admission if you want to attend this event. The biggest problem I have with this event, is that it's impossible to know when they're going to be pouring what. Last year for example, I made a lit of the beers I really wanted to try (around 20), and if I recall correctly, I didn't get to try more than 2 or 3 beers on the list.

If you really like sours and farmhouse beers, it can be a pretty fun time. I'm not personally a huge sour beer fan, but even so, I think this is a fun event to attend every few years.
    That's right. I think I got to try around 15 or 20 beers last year, which I felt was plenty.

weaverr likes this.
  8. NedStarkravingmad

NedStarkravingmad Initiate (52) Apr 26, 2015 Washington
    Trader

The new location may help. It's generally been really overcrowded on Saturday, which was logistically my day of choice to attend.

9. dphi

dphi Initiate (109) Apr 14, 2013 Oregon

Good to see they're pouring special beers during the VIP session, that was my main complaint the last time I went. I went for the VIP pass and all the rare beers were saved for the GA sessions which was disappointing since I only planned on going the one day.

10. weaverr

11. ppilot

ppilot Initiate (89) Jul 17, 2009 Oregon

sharpski and beertunes like this.
  12. ppilot

Why did the Farmhouse Fest beer thread get removed? Was curious how many people made it out last night to the VIP session.

13. John_M

Moderator Society Trader

I don't believe there was a seperate thread for the 2019 event. All previous commentary about the event this year was posted in this thread I believe.

beertunes likes this.
  14. ppilot

Thanks....yeah I must have been thinking about 2018. But yeah the VIP night was fun, but there was definitely a little bit of shock value in terms of average ticket cost compared to last year.

15. John_M

Moderator Society Trader

If you don't mind me asking, how so? I've gone to this event in the past, and will likely go again. So would appreciate any insight you can provide.

16. ppilot

The the VIP entry was $35 and the average ticket price for a beer was 4-5 tickets whereas last year it was more like 2-3. Most people I talked to had a good time but had the same initial reaction. Also besides the free snack food, I wasn't sure what bottle were VIP only that warranted the $10 price difference. Bretta II was absolutely fantastic and probably my favorite beer of the night

John_M and sharpski like this.
  17. Reidrover

Society

eire and sharpski like this.
  18. eire

eire Disciple (373) Jan 31, 2016 Alaska
    Society Trader

Same here! I’ve also been enjoying bottles of Voices of Ascension. It’s a great brett saison. I guess I’ll need to stock up before it all disappears.

19. John_M

Moderator Society Trader

The Market of Choice on Terwilleger just went toes up. While it wasn't a store I tended to frequent all that often (pretty small MofC), they did tend to have a pretty solid beer selection, with a good selection of HOTD and Ale Apothecary stuff. It will seem strange not to have them around any more.

20. dphi

dphi Initiate (109) Apr 14, 2013 Oregon

We were driving out to Sellwood on Saturday and noticed that, popped in since everything was on clearance but they were already wiped out. Too bad, that was a good spot to find occasional hidden gems. I remember being on the email list for whenever they got Sticky Hands in (before it saw regular distro).

21. distantmantra

distantmantra Meyvn (1,047) May 23, 2011 Washington
    Trader

I was on vacation when that news broke, so I just got around to reading the full article. Sounds like some serious mismanagement by one of the owners.

I really liked their beers, first encountered them in 2014 at the Eugene Farmers Market and had picked up some bottles recently. My parents had been out to the farm and said it was a great experience. Damn shame.

22. Fixer234

Fixer234 Initiate (45) Apr 3, 2014 Oregon

Agrarian was a great place to visit in the summer, and they made some solid beers. It's a bummer that they are gone, but shouldn't come as a surprise to anyone that has been following their saga for the last few years.

23. honkduh

honkduh Aspirant (221) Jun 2, 2011 Oregon

Cascade Brewing
    2 hrs ·
    That’s right, you can now take all your favorite sours and non sours home with you! Crowlers now available at both the Barrel House and Lodge!

jason_nwx and sharpski like this.
  24. John_M

Moderator Society Trader

Might not be a bad day to swing by Arch Bridge, for those who happen to be in the area. Among other things, they have Rusty Nail, b3k, double stack, HF Arthur, Cantillon Nath and a de Garde wild ale (Archimandias) on tap right now.

I gather these are leftovers from their anniversary event yesterday.

#64 John_M, Apr 28, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2019
  25. weaverr

Heading out to the coast for some camping this weekend and I just saw that de Garde’s patio is no longer dog friendly. That stinks. I guess I’m going to Alesong on the way out instead.

Anyone have any other dog-friendly central coastal recommendations?

kemoarps likes this.
  26. guajolote

guajolote Aspirant (290) Sep 12, 2008 Oregon

distantmantra likes this.
  27. ppilot

distantmantra likes this.
  28. John_M

Moderator Society Trader

They took over one of the old Laurelwood pub spots some years ago. Beers were decent, but nothing you'd search out or go out of your way for. Early on, I remember seeing their beer on tap at the horsebrass and Belmont Station every once in a while.

They were one of the first places I can ever recall seeing where the owners tried to use BA as a marketing tool to drum up business. As I recall, they had a couple of friends and/or family members join BA just to write glowing reviews of brewpub (a practice that's now become fairly common). I think that helped them drum up some initial business, but they couldn't sustain it, as people quickly came to realize their beer and food were nothing special.

Like you I gather, I had completely forgotten they were still around.

deadwolfbones and sharpski like this.
  29. derftron

derftron Disciple (336) Feb 8, 2012 Oregon

FYI - pFriem Nectarine bottles are in Portland. Pretty sure last year they were brewery only. Havent tried it yet but heard its fantastic, so i bought 2 bottles

kemoarps, deadwolfbones and sharpski like this.
  30. derftron

lived right by there for 10 years. Drove past it thousands of times and never stopped in. I think they made a good double IPA (war elephant???) , but the location was small and dull. moon and sixpence / velo cult (now closed) / and Laurelwood were also very close and much better options.

sharpski likes this.
  31. sharpski

Society Trader

According to a FB post from the brewery, Smith Rock Brewing in Redmond is winding down operations in the next few days. They have been very quiet in the local scene for quite some time, so it’s not a shock, and I don’t think they really fit into any larger narrative about the sky falling. They started small, never Gained widespread popularity, and apparently couldn’t hold out any longer. I don’t like losing or speaking ill about a local brewery, but if there is a correction coming Smith Rock is the type of brewery that is most vulnerable.

32. shelby415

shelby415 Champion (839) Oct 10, 2011 Oregon
    Trader

guajolote likes this.
  33. Reidrover

Society

I wanted to visit but never quite had the time..even when i was at Wild Ride..which kinda echoes what you say. Sad never the less. Maybe they would have been better opening in Madras?

34. derftron

Looks like 3-Way is available at Ft George Brewery.

Oregon and SW WA will get it this coming Monday. the rest of WA and ID will get in on the 10th.

woo-hoo!

jakecattleco and sharpski like this.
  35. distantmantra

distantmantra Meyvn (1,047) May 23, 2011 Washington
    Trader

Chucks (Central) gets it today, I was told we'd be seeing it in the rest of Seattle starting this coming Monday.

kemoarps likes this.
  36. vurt

vurt Meyvn (1,026) Apr 11, 2004 Oregon
    Society

There's a 3-Way release party at Ruse Brewing tomorrow.

37. derftron

well looks like the Ft George twitter update was not completely factual. oh well, 3-way soon cometh

38. John_M

Moderator Society Trader

Just noticed that Tin Bucket put on a keg of Commons Flemmish Kiss. Can't be too much of that left on the planet at this point. Curious to see how it's holding up at this point (and so plan to stop by and see tomorrow hopefully).

#78 John_M, Jun 6, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2019
  39. shelby415

shelby415 Champion (839) Oct 10, 2011 Oregon
    Trader

I'm pretty stoked too, but I noticed that Apex has it on as well, which got me to wondering. Could they be brewing again? Maybe it's just an odd coincidence, but I'm guardedly optimistic. The article about their shutdown suggested they might brew again someday.

sharpski likes this.
  40. sharpski

Society Trader

AFAIK Mike has collaborated w/ Logsdon and Allegory recently but not sold any beer under the Commons name since closing. Would love to find out I’m mistaken.

Reidrover and shelby415 like this.