Oregon Beer News (2020)

Discussion in 'Northwest' started by weaverr, Jan 3, 2020.

1. weaverr

weaverr Initiate (187) Jun 10, 2008 Oregon

Ever wanted to share an event, beer release, or just talk about some random happenings and felt like it wasn't worth making a separate thread? This is your thread! If it's happening in Oregon, it belongs in here. Ask questions! Complain about something! There are no rules! (there are probably rules)

For example...

Maybe you want to take a moment to mourn the loss of the following institutions in 2019 - https://www.newschoolbeer.com/2019/...-breweries-beer-bars-that-closed-in-2019.html

Or perhaps you missed the news that the Mikkeller popup is going to become a permanent fixture - https://www.wweek.com/bars/2019/12/...a-permanent-location-in-portland-next-summer/

And then we can all agree that the old Deschutes artwork was better over a round of Jubelale.

2. ppilot

ppilot Initiate (105) Jul 17, 2009 Oregon

So New School Beer announced their best of Oregon Beer 2019 awards this week.

Quick Notes:

Most Underrated Brewery - Upright, Runner Up - Heater Allen. Completely Agree with both of these

Best Oregon Brewpub - Wayfinder, Runner Up Pfriem - Agree with this as well

Oregon Brewery of the Year - Von Ebert, Runner Up - pFriem - Not sure I would put them #1 but I had Von Ebert on my watch list after I saw they snagged Sam Pecoraro in addition to having Sean. The Glendover Location is absolutely great.

Oregon Beer of the Year - Wayfinder HELL, Runner Up - Alesong Rhino Suit. Considering I bought a four pack of HELL earlier this week, I agree with this.

3. distantmantra

distantmantra Meyvn (1,096) May 23, 2011 Washington
    Trader

Upright being so ignored continues to floor me.

kemoarps, NWer, DefenCorps and 3 others like this.
  4. Mister_Faucher

Mister_Faucher Poo-Bah (1,508) Dec 3, 2014 Washington
    Society Trader

New limited release from 10 Barrel, just added it to their profile. Snake Run DIPA 8% keep yer eyes peeled.

[​IMG]

#4 Mister_Faucher, Jan 4, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2020
  5. weaverr

https://brewpublic.com/beer-events/function-pdx-hosts-oregon-bottledrop-breweries/
    Breweries that are using the BottleDrop refillable glass bottles are having an event at Function (on NW 23rd) starting January 17. Each day features different breweries.

Which brings me to my important question - if I buy a refillable bottle of beer from a grocery store, where do I drop it off to be reused instead of recycled?

kemoarps and Reidrover like this.
  6. Reidrover

Reidrover Poo-Bah (3,767) Jan 14, 2003 Oregon
    Society

Bottle Drop puts them aside. Not sure about stores though

weaverr likes this.
  7. jason_nwx

jason_nwx Zealot (532) Sep 12, 2012 Oregon

Yeah, my understanding from reading this Beervana piece when it was first announced is as a drinker you don't have to do anything different. I seriously doubt it would be effective in any way if it relied on drinkers to set those bottles aside and bring them to a separate location.

What I don't know is if they will only pick them up from bottle recycling - I would guess the answer is yes. If you put them in your recycling bin - I know I do this a lot and judging from my neighbors when I walk the dog on garbage days I'm hardly in the minority - I expect it's just glass.

kemoarps and weaverr like this.
  8. weaverr

Most of my recycling is just into a recycling bin. I'm used to the bottle deposit and don't ever think to go to a BottleDrop to get my change back each week. I guess it makes sense that's the same place you'd take the reusable bottles.

kemoarps likes this.
  9. weaverr

The annual IPA Challenge is going on at the Hawthorne Hophouse. Blind taste 12 popular IPAs and guess which one is which. Last year I got 2 right, and after last night I'm not feeling great about my performance this year either.

kemoarps and vurt like this.
  10. deadwolfbones

deadwolfbones Initiate (144) Jun 21, 2014 Oregon

Sorry, initially posted this in NW WBAYDN when it probably more properly goes here.

Can't remember if anyone else here is in Central Oregon, but if so, MoC in Bend is clearing out their 3F in 750ml bottles at crazy prices.

Armand & Gaston $16
    Golden Blend $25
    Hommage $25

11. beertunes

beertunes Poo-Bah (7,176) Sep 24, 2007 Montenegro
    Society Trader

For those of you who use the FB, Ale Apothecary just posted some pics of a new clay container to ferment in, as well as pics from the company who makes their barrels, showing the milling of the oak. Yeah, it's nerdy, I know, but, BEER!!!!!!!!

12. PNW

PNW Initiate (156) Dec 23, 2019 Washington
    Society Trader

deadwolfbones and beertunes like this.
  13. beertunes

Society Trader

Am I reading that right? Dues are 4x/year, @ $115-130? $460-520?

Daaaamn!

kemoarps likes this.
  14. vurt

vurt Meyvn (1,133) Apr 11, 2004 Oregon
    Society

Plus $18 x 4 for shipping if you're in Oregon.

In this Venn diagram, I am in the circle that reads "Likes pFriem a lot," but not in the circle that is labelled "Likes brewery memberships and has that kind of disposable cash lying around."

15. deadwolfbones

deadwolfbones Initiate (144) Jun 21, 2014 Oregon

Same. Probably my favorite brewery in the state, but there's just too much good beer out there to dump that much money on beer from a single brewery.

16. John_M

John_M Poo-Bah (6,597) Oct 25, 2003 Oregon
    Moderator Society Trader

I'm in the same boat as you. I like pFriem beer quite a bit, and buy it pretty often. Fortunately, it's pretty easy to find their stuff around town, as even Trader Joe's and Fred Meyer carry a pretty good selection of their stuff. Frankly, it's pretty hard to imagine buying any more of their beer than I currently do, as they're not the only NW brewery whose beer I'm fond of (in fact, the list is rather long in that regard).

I'm assuming membership allotments are probably in the 6 bottles or more range each quarter, which at least for me, would represent a pretty significant commitment and allegiance. Even aside from the money aspect, it's pretty hard for me to imagine drinking that much additional pFriem beer, unless I significantly changed my current drinking habits (like drinking at home most of the time now, and also drinking pFriem most of the time when I do drink at home). I just don't see that as a viable lifestyle change, and especially given the cost of membership, I'm surprised that membership openings are in such demand.

(reading over my post, it occurs to me that I might have overused the word "pretty" a bit much. Oops!).

#16 John_M, Feb 5, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2020
  17. PNW

PNW Initiate (156) Dec 23, 2019 Washington
    Society Trader

It’s 48 bottles per year (6 bottles x 8 pickups), plus includes exclusive pFriemsters merch, 10% off all future in-house and online bottle purchases, and VIP access to events (access to beer education events, beer dinners, meet-the-brewer opportunities). It’s unclear whether the beers will be bottle club exclusives or not, though I heard verticals get mentioned. Seems like a pretty great club to me, but Hood River is too far a drive to make for every release.

18. jason_nwx

pFriemster here. It's 12 bottles x 4 pickups, each allotment has 2x of 6 different beers - all barrel-aged. What I've found so far is it tends to be six wild (like Bosbessen), six non-wild beers per box (like Scotch Barrel Brown). I think one pair each box (I didn't keep good notes on that) has been exclusive so far, but I believe part of the plan is to do more exclusive ones as the membership grows. Exclusive could mean club only release or vertical, in which case there would be four of a beer but two from each year. We generally drive out (from Beaverton) to pick up our box - take the dogs and make a day of it in the Gorge. Admittedly between gas and lunch and whatever else we do I absolutely spend more than the $18 it would cost to ship, but I enjoy it. Plus I can use it as an excuse to stop into Ferment as well AND use the 10% discount at pFriem.

sharpski, vurt, PNW and 2 others like this.
  19. vurt

Society

pFriemsters Union members also get a discount at the Best Western Hood River Inn. That's a pretty cool detail.

I still have neither the interest nor the means to become a member, but I am definitely thinking about a return visit to their taproom. It's been too long.

kemoarps and beertunes like this.
  20. derftron

derftron Disciple (377) Feb 8, 2012 Oregon

Hair of the Dog and Wayfinder are collaborating on this year's Lila. so thats Oregon beer news right?

DefenCorps, kemoarps, weaverr and 3 others like this.
  21. beertunes

Society Trader

The more I think about it, it might not be a bad deal. If we round off the numbers, it's about $10/bottle, plus the extras. That's much better than the $30+/bottle I paid in a membership last year.

NWer, kemoarps and jason_nwx like this.
  22. vurt

Society

That's not just Oregon beer news. That's great news!

#22 vurt, Feb 5, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2020
  23. Stevedore

Stevedore Poo-Bah (5,584) Nov 16, 2012 Wisconsin
    Society Trader

I've spent a lot of time trying to figure out where/how to get a pour of Pliny the Younger when I'm in Orange County next week for a conference. These currently involve driving up to LA or SD on a weeknight.

Then I remembered that I'm moving to Portland this summer. Then I also remembered that Younger kegs make it up there. Roughly how easy (relative) is it to get a pour and get that damn tick? At this point, I'm really only wanting to do it just to tick it.. anyway, I'm kind of just looking for a reason not to stress out about driving a hour each way to get a pour of a triple IPA.

24. DefenCorps

DefenCorps Poo-Bah (4,944) Jan 18, 2007 Oregon
    Society Trader

If you're flexible (i.e. running out for a drink on a weeknight), it should be doable. Lots of places get kegs here, but because they're the smaller sixtels, they tend to blow the same day they're tapped. Look around here and the interwebz and other apps and you can track it down without too much effort.

kemoarps and Stevedore like this.
  25. SeaAle

SeaAle Disciple (372) Jun 24, 2012 Oregon

No place here will have it on draft after March though. So if you want to tick it this year you better look for it in Orange County if you won't be here until summer.

The good news is once you're here you will find quite a few local triple IPAs that are brewed throughout the year. Boneyard's Notorious is brewed year round, and I think it's much better than Younger.

sharpski, kemoarps, beertunes and 2 others like this.
  26. Stevedore

Stevedore Poo-Bah (5,584) Nov 16, 2012 Wisconsin
    Society Trader

Yep, I loved Notorious. I am talking in much more abstract terms (e.g. next year) since I'll definitely be around this time next year.

kemoarps likes this.
  27. SeaAle

SeaAle Disciple (372) Jun 24, 2012 Oregon

Okay, then you won't have any trouble finding it next year. :+1:

28. DefenCorps

Society Trader

Hey @afrokaze , what's the planned price for the Fremont collab , the coconut stout? I found it at my local for $4.50, which is absurdly cheap, and I'd like to let them know if they've mispriced it.

vurt likes this.
  29. afrokaze

afrokaze Zealot (561) Jun 12, 2009 Arizona
    Brewery

We're selling it for $5 at the taproom, same price as the rest of our seasonal 22oz lineup. I was pretty surprised but that's a great price for a big beer like that. All of the collaboration beers this year with out of state breweries should be getting small bottling runs and will presumably be $5/22oz. Thanks for keeping an eye out though, our sales team would appreciate it.

kemoarps, vurt, John_M and 2 others like this.
  30. John_M

Moderator Society Trader

Agree with Dyan. That's an absurdly good price. Will definitely be picking some up soon.

kemoarps and afrokaze like this.
  31. jason_nwx

Dang. I picked one up today at New Seasons for $6 and I thought THAT was a steal!

kemoarps likes this.
  32. blackcloud

blackcloud Disciple (313) Apr 28, 2012 Alaska
    Trader

has anyone heard any rumblings about a Jubel 2020? was putting some glasses away and noticed my Jubel 2010 glass from the release and piqued my interest.

beertunes likes this.
  33. beertunes

Society Trader

I haven't heard. Still got a couple bottles of 2010 for comparison purposes.

34. vurt

Society

Heads up, rauchbier fans. Lookin' at you @DefenCorps , @weaverr , @John_M , @rrock44 , and any others I'm missing.

Two new can releases coming up from Wayfinder next week (Wednesday, Feb. 19):
    • CRUSHER DESTROYER Smoked Bock- “Beechsmoke, Dried Fruit, Malty, Color of Pyrolysis” A behemoth of a Bock, full-flavored with a head full of smoke. Crusher Destroyer is double-decocted and richly imbued with deep caramel malts. Best enjoyed sludgingly slow. Burn your game plan. (7.1% alcohol by volume.)
    • EXPORT 66 Dortmunder-Style Export Lager- “Bright, full-flavored, noble stuff” A bright export beer, soft, sparkling and fresh at the same time, brewed from the finest raw materials. The top product of old Bavarian brewing art. Export66 is a stronger version of our classic Hell but made with richer malts, alt und neue Bavarian hops and a proprietary lager yeast. (5.6% alcohol by volume.)
    Also: "[W]e will be dishing free samples of pre-release CRUSHER DESTROYER Smoked Bock (details below) poured fresh from the tank off the zwickel" this Saturday, from 11 to 4. Get in.

I promise not to buy all the Export 66.

35. jason_nwx

Both of those sound delicious.

vurt likes this.
  36. John_M

Moderator Society Trader

Yowza!!! Thanks for the heads up. Those both sound great!

vurt likes this.
  37. weaverr

oh my god yes

So if this releases Feb. 19, but we can taste it from the zwickel Saturday, does that mean it'll be on tap starting Saturday?

https://relapsealumni.bandcamp.com/track/crusher-destroyer-2

edit: Export 66 is on tap now - https://www.wayfinder.beer/tap-list

vurt likes this.
  38. vurt

Society

Export 66 was on tap when Mrs. vurt and I went there for date night the weekend before last. It was also on tap a few days earlier at Orenco Taphouse.

The newsletter didn't say if Crusher Destroyer would be on tap Saturday, but I still plan to stop by for a sample from the zwickel.

weaverr likes this.
  39. DefenCorps

Society Trader

In the times before the internet, news like this would prompt me to don my banana suit and dance. Nowadays, I just use GIFs to Express such emotions.

40. John_M

Moderator Society Trader

For those who are fans of pastry stouts, the Imperial Bottle shop on NE Alberta is having what they're referring to as a "Bake Sale: Pastry Stout and Such" this weekend. I believe hours for the event are from 4 to 9 PM Friday, Saturday and Sunday, and will include beers from Great Notion, Modern Times. The Bruery and Ruse, among others.

I believe you have to bring your own Insulin for the event.