Orphan Round-Up - Down 'em or Drain Pour 'em!

Discussion in 'Cellaring / Aging Beer' started by pjbear05, Apr 3, 2018.

1. pjbear05

pjbear05 Initiate (163) May 28, 2008 Florida

Time to restart this thread. You know you have something stuck in the back of the fridge, or in some storage area gathering dust.

Mine go back to the holidays, when I went into the ER, found out I had a heart blockage, and had a stent inserted. Got put on a two a day limit, and kept that to low abv lagers, mostly Yuengling and Shiner.

Got to rummaging around and in my storage area yesterday and found:

A New Holland Dragon's Milk, which drowned my sorrows during Michigan's beat down at the hands of Villanova (congrats, btw).

A Funky Buddha Nib Smuggler, and,

A Founder's Backwoods Bastard.

Will get to the other orphans later this week. Speak up, whatcha got?

Blackop555, mikeinportc and mambossa like this.
  2. Number1Framer

Number1Framer Initiate (106) Mar 13, 2016 Wisconsin
    Trader

I have a whole bunch of random stouts about 2 years old I'm going to post for free on a local forum in the near future. Old Raspy, Dragon's Milk, Even More Jesus bomber, 2016 Pt5, etc. Approximately a case or so all a couple years old. Don't want to waste it (any more than I already have anyway) so giving it away so it can be someone else's science project. It's an expensive lesson in overspending and over buying.

3. bbtkd

bbtkd Poo-Bah (2,041) Sep 20, 2015 South Dakota
    Premium

Some of my cellar is approaching 2 years old, so I'm drinking up anything over a year old. The other day I drain poured an 11 month old BA Cherry Lager. On Easter I had a year old Even More Jesus orphan. I have a number of other orphans, mostly high ABV stouts that I bought two of and had one right away.

4. Harrison8

Harrison8 Poo-Bah (2,556) Dec 6, 2015 Missouri
    Premium Trader

I'll have to dig around, but I know there are a handful of beers family brought back for me from Chicago. They continue to sit in the fridge without much love.

I find that gifted beers are most often what sits around at the back of my fridge.

5. Lahey

Lahey Disciple (329) Nov 12, 2016 Michigan

Got some old wheat beers, a tropical torpedo and a golden ale sitting. Stuff my fiancée bought, her beer tastes are evolving and she keeps finding more beer she likes than what she can drink. Most of my overflow ages well.

6. mambossa

mambossa Initiate (126) Jun 30, 2015 Ohio

Tons of low-fills from work, and an Alltech Bourbon Peach Wheat my lady brought home from her work. Probably will never get to either any time soon haha.

7. AZBeerDude72

AZBeerDude72 Meyvn (1,319) Jun 10, 2016 Arizona
    Premium Trader

I had a handful of SN hazy that I tossed. It was like 5 mos old and taking up room so I moved them to land of drain pour. LOL
    I don't usually toss much just because I hate to waste but this time I figured why not.

tzieser likes this.
  8. laketang

laketang Savant (958) Mar 22, 2015 Illinois
    Premium

I have 3 beers left from a white elephant gift, a case of Kirkland garbage. I just can't finish this stuff off! Just tastes like liqorice stick soaked in pepsi, just crappy beer.

9. pjbear05

pjbear05 Initiate (163) May 28, 2008 Florida

Blessings upon you, we all should have such like evolved significant others!

mikeinportc likes this.
  10. Mothergoose03

Mothergoose03 Poo-Bah (2,278) May 30, 2005 Michigan
    Premium

My everyday beers get drunk on a timely basis, but I tend to keep cellar beer in the basement fridge too long. This past weekend I found a bottle of 2010 Nemesis from Founders. I drank it but it wasn't very good. I may have put that one in the back of the fridge just to keep it as a collectible since Founders received a cease & desist order back then to discontinue the use of that beer's name. Now I have an empty bottle 'collectible'.

11. Lahey

Lahey Disciple (329) Nov 12, 2016 Michigan

Yeah, I count my blessings that she's shared my love of beer. When we met 4 years ago, she drank coors light and I drank blue moon. Both of our tastes have evolved. I've acted as the guinea pig and turned her on to beer I think she'd like. Seeing that she likes ipas now, I'd say it's a complete success:slight_smile:

12. bubseymour

bubseymour Poo-Bah (2,239) Oct 30, 2010 Maryland

Yeah, I wouldn't consider ageable beers orphans in the back of the fridge. My current orphans are a couple cans of Rolling Rock (leftovers a friend left behind). Usually the orphans are an AAL or a stray Boston Lager from a SA sampler pack. I'll bet Boston Lager is a popular orphan / back of the fridge beer.

13. mickyge

mickyge Crusader (701) Nov 1, 2014 Massachusetts
    Premium

I have a can of Brown Stripe and some kind of Christmas beer I've never heard of. I might turn that one into a sour dough starter. I just can bring myself to even look at the Brown Stripe can let alone drink it.

14. dcotom

dcotom Poo-Bah (1,975) Aug 4, 2014 Iowa
    Premium Trader

I have a metric crapload of stuff in the fridge, the cellar, and other miscellaneous places. I'm afraid to take an inventory.

15. jimmyfishkin

jimmyfishkin Initiate (191) Nov 17, 2008 Wisconsin

I'm currently aging a bottle of Bud Light Lime in my fridge left by my father-in law 2 years ago. It's kind of an experiment now to see how long my wife will let it sit in there before she makes me get rid of it. I also have a can of Boulevard Ginger Lemon Radler from my beer of the month mixer last year that I'm never going to drink. Not sure why I put it on the fridge,, but there it sits.

16. GoatmanBrewsMD

GoatmanBrewsMD Aspirant (233) Dec 16, 2010 Maryland
    Trader

I have a 2007 Mephistopheles and Beast. I never have found a good time to drink them and now its 11 years later. Its been in the fridge most of the time. What do I do??

17. jimmyfishkin

jimmyfishkin Initiate (191) Nov 17, 2008 Wisconsin

Crack 'em open. If they're bad then just dump 'em out.

GoatmanBrewsMD likes this.
  18. GoatmanBrewsMD

Trader

That seems too simple of a plan for beers that they no longer make. But, yeah that's what I intend to do. Its just getting around to it. :grin:

Bitterbill and jimmyfishkin like this.
  19. maximum12

maximum12 Poo-Bah (3,861) Jan 21, 2008 Minnesota
    Trader

Fridge cleaning is fun. Once or twice a year we have a "questionable beer night" where I pull out a couple of beers that I'm pretty sure are going to suck. They aren't necessarily old, sometimes just beers that I get as extras or pick up in a fit of bad judgment that don't even sound good.

Then there are the real turds. We save those for the "Good, Bad, & Ugly" tastings. We've sampled some mind-alteringly horrible beers during those events!

20. Gajo74

Gajo74 Poo-Bah (1,631) Sep 14, 2014 New York

Normally I’d tell you to down em, however, your health is more important. That said, it would be a shame to drain pour; don’t waste beer, there are thirsty kids in Ireland :wink:. I say donate to a friend.

21. Gajo74

Gajo74 Poo-Bah (1,631) Sep 14, 2014 New York

Seriously though, I have no orphans in my fridge. Every beer in my fridge is like a child to me and is accounted for; I never forget the inventory in my head. Sometimes I’ll even purposefully buy an AAL I know will be bad and I’m still curious to drink it ASAP for the hell of it. Even ugly beer is beautiful in the beer gods’s eyes :wink:
    I don’t know how all of you who age and cellar beer do it! I’m too compulsive and I feel bad if the beer is sitting around too long in the fridge. Even if I go away fir a weekend, I feel a compulsion to empty the fridge of beer. Do I have a discipline problem?

bubseymour likes this.
  22. Blackop555

Blackop555 Meyvn (1,233) Dec 12, 2016 Michigan
    Premium Trader

I

Ihave a couple from a few years ago. Mephistopheles. Just to high alcohol that i want to drink alone i want to share it, but I'm always grabbing big bottles for shares

GoatmanBrewsMD likes this.
  23. GoatmanBrewsMD

Trader

This is exactly why its still in my fridge. I always go to grab it and I'm like "Do I really want a 16% beer right now? Especially after just drinking a few other beers." Then I think I'm going to do a share of it and I always grab something else instead. haha

Beer_Economicus and Blackop555 like this.
  24. Dan_K

Dan_K Devotee (474) Nov 8, 2013 Colorado
    Trader

A 16% 12oz beer is perfect to share with 2-4 people. You generally don't need a TON of it to experience the flavor. I wouldn't recommend you try and solo it!

25. LeRose

LeRose Meyvn (1,291) Nov 24, 2011 Massachusetts
    Premium

Notable - well maybe not orphans - but beers I have had for a long time...

Pretty Things - Babayaga, Baby Tree, Barbapapa, Our Finest Regards, Jack D'Or
    DFH - Bitch's Brew
    Stone - the very first Wootstout
    Victory - Otto in Oak, a Golden Monkey bomber that I think is five years old at least.

Bottle of Maudite that I got from my BIL who hasn't visited the house in about 7 - 8 years.

I am definitely an accumulator...to the point where I forget what I have. Good thing is I can always surprise myself...

Lahey likes this.
  26. Uniobrew31

Uniobrew31 Zealot (503) Jan 16, 2012 Pennsylvania
    Trader

I have 4 frulli strawberry wit beers in my fridge. I bought a case about 8 months ago off the sale rack for 20 bucks so I guess I turned it from a shelf turd to a fridge turd

Lahey, tobelerone and maximum12 like this.
  27. mrmattosgood

mrmattosgood Initiate (93) Nov 6, 2010 New Hampshire

A couple years ago, I found a Burton Baton that was about a year old. I went to the store soon thereafter and saw a Burton Baton that was about a month old. I thought, "What a cool experiment!" So I brought that home with the intention of doing a side by side.

Well, knowing how way leads on to way, they found themselves in the basement. Now I have two burton batons that are a year apart and I think I need to find a fresh one.

Lahey and Mothergoose03 like this.
  28. dcotom

Premium Trader

Asked and answered. :grinning:

When I first got into this hobby or whatever you want to call it, I compulsively bought a lot of stuff because I wanted to try as many different beers and styles as I could. However, my drinking habits never kept up with my buying habits. I still don't (and never did) drink that much, or that often. I age and cellar beers simply because I really don't have anything else to do with them. (Yet. I'm planning a helluva bottle share for this spring.)

BTW, I did the same thing when I got into wine. Is this a cry for help? (Don't answer that.)

29. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poo-Bah (6,130) Sep 14, 2002 Wyoming
    Premium Trader

Gawd, I love that beer with some significant age on it.

30. tobelerone

tobelerone Poo-Bah (2,253) Dec 1, 2010 New York
    Trader

Hahha

Think you may have coined a new term there: "fridge turd." Nice going!

I have a second fridge in the garage jammed with a lot of oddballs, many of which are from a huge summer party last year. These include yuenglings and Heineken and torpedo cans (the latter quite old). Many old lagunitas ipas someone brought over. Some
    Rando Saranac mixed case beers. Some lakefront brandy barrel pumpkins (those are strong, wonder how they'll age). Two of those Stillwater nitro chocolate milk stouts. Finally I have a friend who apparently likes to get rid of his orphans by bringing them to my house so I have a few of those dock street walker beers with goat brains and some DFH higher math which may be one of my most despised beers of all time.

Oh yeah old dipa homebrew too! Come on over everyone. Seriously.

Uniobrew31, connecticutpoet and Lahey like this.
  31. dcotom

Premium Trader

A quick search of the archives shows that the term "fridge turd" first appeared in the Beer Talk forum on March 25, 2013, in a post by one jake1605 in WBAYDN #156. Whether the term predates this post is an open question; however, my deepest thanks go out to whomever blessed our lexicon with it. :slight_smile:

32. surfcaster

surfcaster Crusader (735) Apr 20, 2013 North Carolina
    Premium Trader

I have very simple approach to this—

I do not drink anything I know I don’t like.

Beer that is not my preference but is o/w fine to drink (usually gifts or leftovers), I will make some roofers in the neighborhood happy if no other easy mechanism to dispose of.

I will not give or put out anything that is not fit to drink—old lagers etc. Drain.

Beer_Economicus likes this.
  33. Mothergoose03

Mothergoose03 Poo-Bah (2,278) May 30, 2005 Michigan
    Premium

Gawd, I hope you didn't stay up all night researching that!

34. DoctorZombies

DoctorZombies Poo-Bah (2,630) Feb 1, 2015 Florida
    Premium Trader

Drink ‘em and let us know how the held up!

35. tobelerone

Trader

Very irresponsible of me to attribute credit for this gem incorrectly!

36. connecticutpoet

connecticutpoet Poo-Bah (2,140) Jun 10, 2004 Connecticut
    Premium Trader

I've got some Devil Dancer and Founder's Imperial Stout from 2007. Black Tuesday, Abyss, and BCBCS from 2008. Sam Adams Triple Bock 1994, 1995, 1997. Thomas Hardy 1992. Old Marley Barleywine 2004 and 2005. Anchor Christmas Ale from 2001 in a 50.7 oz. bottle. Sanctification from 2007. Sam Adams Imperial Pilsner from either 2005 or 2007. Bell's Batch 7000. 6:56 from 2010. Berkshire Bourbon Barrel Scotch Ale from 2007. Xyauyu copper, silver, and gold from 2008 or 2009. Plus a whole crapload of other ones that I will definitely try, then decide if I want to drain pour them. Too many to burn through with all the great new ones coming out. I'm glad my wife started liking beer so we can split 2 or 3 a night, but this is still going to take months and months.

37. GoatmanBrewsMD

Trader

I will report back the results, when this occurs (possibly next weekend) for those who are interested!

Bitterbill and dcotom like this.
  38. tobelerone

Trader

Those aren't orphans those are some terrific cellar items man! Well at least most of it. Thomas Hardy 92?? If you don't want it I'll drive to Connecticut to pick it up. Seriously, i was just there last weekend. I expect at least half of those to be crazy good.

PS you should wait until the hottest, stickiest summer afternoon then pop that Anchor Xmas magnum in a pool and chug it from the bottle.

39. connecticutpoet

connecticutpoet Poo-Bah (2,140) Jun 10, 2004 Connecticut
    Premium Trader

LOL I may just do that, Xmas ale in the summer sounds like an awesome idea. Somewhere I had gotten a mixed 6-pack of Hardy... 2 each of the '90, '91, and '92... and I can't find it dammit. Kind of got lost when I moved. I don't know when I am going to pop it but I'm glad I was able to hold it until it was at least 25. I remember when I bought it they said it would last at least 25 years. Never dreamed I'd hold it that long. Damn I feel old.

tobelerone likes this.
  40. russpowell

russpowell Poo-Bah (8,690) May 24, 2005 Arkansas
    Premium Trader

I have some Boulevard Chocolate that is over 5 years old & was supposedly infected, can't bring myself to open it