Other Half (2019)

Discussion in 'Mid-Atlantic' started by RobNewton, Jan 1, 2019.

1. rozzom

rozzom Champion (807) Jan 22, 2011 New York
    Trader

Yeah same here. I just grabbed a 4 pack cos it was there. But really enjoying. Lacks the overly-sweet vibe that a lot of triples have

ScaryEd likes this.
  2. SeanEDPBK

SeanEDPBK Initiate (107) Jun 8, 2016 New York

I agree the Simcoe is less straight juice this batch; I still love it and we all know it'll be fire in however many weeks you want, ha.

Had tasters of the Shook Ones 2 (didn't enjoy it... felt it was grassy, dank, even musty), Game is Thick Maple (surprisingly restrained, nice beer).

afroskully and RobNewton like this.
  3. Max_W

Max_W Disciple (348) Jun 14, 2013 New York
    Society Trader

4. ScaryEd

ScaryEd Poo-Bah (1,809) Feb 19, 2012 New Hampshire

Yep. Speaking of, I also got a 4-pack of Triple Mosaic Daydream. The first time I had this it was from a growler and I ended up nearly drain-pouring half of it because it was so cloying. The cans are much better and more balanced but still very sweet.

I still think OH understands triple IPA's more than most brewers, at least from my experience.

mayhops likes this.
  5. ScaryEd

ScaryEd Poo-Bah (1,809) Feb 19, 2012 New Hampshire

I see The Veil continues to have the worst beer names in the country.

6. Tallerboy

Tallerboy Initiate (81) Jun 17, 2017 New York

Master Shedder is a totally bogus dude!

7. afroskully

afroskully Aspirant (232) Aug 24, 2016 New York

is the gen consensus on triple space diamonds to wait on cracking these?

8. Tallerboy

Tallerboy Initiate (81) Jun 17, 2017 New York

Wait.

9. Mattttt

Mattttt Initiate (55) Feb 20, 2018 New York
    Trader

i feel like gen consensus on all of their ipas is 'wait'. im at the point where i rarely try new canned ipas i buy from them within the first 5~ days.

RobNewton and Xerlic like this.
  10. fdonnelly

fdonnelly Initiate (145) Dec 14, 2016 New Jersey
    Trader

I feel like in terms of Triple IPAs its been hit or miss for me with OH, some I like a lot, some I've been meh on. But I think thats my feeling on Triple's in general. For me, I prefer a lower ABV so I can enjoy more than 1. That being said the few EQ triples my friend has given me I have enjoyed thoroughly and the a few of the triple IPAs from Icarus I've had in NJ have been pretty good as well.

11. PapasDelicateCondition

PapasDelicateCondition Initiate (78) Sep 7, 2016 New York

There are so many great breweries that are awful at this game. I'll still give Tree House the honor of having the worst names- outside of their OG brews which are...fine.

RobNewton likes this.
  12. Jlabs

Jlabs Meyvn (1,293) Nov 11, 2013 New York
    Society Trader

any reviews on either The Game is Thick?..really loved the 3 Sons stuff @ Pastrytown, and been looking forward to trying this collab..planning on making a quick run after work to pick up bottles

jaysker95 likes this.
  13. Comparison_Ford

Comparison_Ford Disciple (369) Apr 4, 2014 New York
    Trader

Gonna crack open a bottle after I get back from running to the store. I'll report back.

If you (or anyone else) wants feedback on one variant over another post which one and that will be the one I choose.

ScottKramer likes this.
  14. Mattttt

Trader

the guy that left other half to start brooklyn kura is in this thread right? i stopped by recently and it was really good. wasnt ready to spend that much on a bottle, but will definitely be back every time i go to industry city.

15. NewmansOwn

NewmansOwn Aspirant (298) Jun 25, 2016 New York

@Kanger

Mattttt likes this.
  16. Mattttt

Trader

maple one was good. thicc as advertised. nothing mindblowing, though.

17. NewmansOwn

18. Comparison_Ford

Trader

Saw the maple one was cracked, so I decided to open my peanut butter bottle. I was particularly skeptical about these stouts since each variant features an adjunct that raises a red flag for me in any stout (peanut butter and maple).

My suspicions are confirmed. Decent coffee note, generically sweet, nothing that screams "peanut butter" about the whole experience. The taste is somewhat reminiscent of my first experiences with Weyerbacher Sunday Morning Stout. I acknowledge that's an odd comparison, so take that as you will.

*edit: as this warms the peanut butter comes out a little, but the cloying sweetness and booziness also amplified in the process. Definitely won't be finishing this.

the_bavarian, Jlabs and ScottKramer like this.
  19. rozzom

Trader

I don’t mind dabbling with the odd triple (and let’s be real - the 2019 triple is a lot tamer of a beast than the 2011 triple), but not liking this trend of it being at the expense of core doubles

20. mumbles44

mumbles44 Initiate (192) Jan 22, 2016 New Jersey
    Trader

22$ imperial berliner is expensive..

looks like the fruited stuff is going to be top of market for the summer as well.

@rozzom you want that quad hop for the summer heat?

fdonnelly and Mattttt like this.
  21. Comparison_Ford

Trader

Eh. Do You Want More?! had the same ABV and was $24/4-pack. It was a tough pill to swallow at first, but I'm also kicking myself for not buying more when it was available.

I have my doubts as to a melon Bellini Berliner having the same impact on me, but I'll reserve judgment.

thisischuck01 and RobNewton like this.
  22. libeerguy23

libeerguy23 Initiate (103) Feb 19, 2016 New York
    Trader

I though the maple had a horrible bitter astringent aftertaste. I dumped mine. Maybe just my bottle. Peanut butter was good though. Tasted like a larger pb pm dawn

23. NewmansOwn

Andrew mentioned this weekend that theyre gonna be doing more stuff with fresh fruit in the coming weeks.

thisischuck01 and RobNewton like this.
  24. brandnewcardock

brandnewcardock Initiate (61) Aug 23, 2017 New York
    Trader

Who exactly is asking for beer that tastes a cocktail, but costs way more than the product it's trying to replicate?

Do these beers taste like the cocktails they're named after? Do they taste like beer? I've never had the balls to actually try one.

fdonnelly and prettygood like this.
  25. FatSkippy

FatSkippy Initiate (35) Mar 21, 2005 New York

Why buy beer that you don't think you will like?

RobNewton likes this.
  26. Mattttt

Trader

pretty sure less than $6 is a great price for an actual cocktail....
    as someone who was into cocktails before beer, i have been enjoying this series because its lower abv than having a mixed drink and just as refreshing.

thisischuck01 likes this.
  27. brandnewcardock

brandnewcardock Initiate (61) Aug 23, 2017 New York
    Trader

In a bar, sure. But these are to-go prices. Pretty sure you could make a decent mimosa or bellini for pretty cheap at home. Certainly not $5.50 per drink.

I don't really drink cocktails so I don't really know what an acceptable price is for champagne. Just an assumption.

#2987 brandnewcardock, May 13, 2019
    Last edited: May 13, 2019
  28. fdonnelly

fdonnelly Initiate (145) Dec 14, 2016 New Jersey
    Trader

actual fruits/purees or fruit juice, wasnt the mimosa one half OJ? If its actual fruit I will try it. We had a terrible experience with Do You Want More and I am assuming it was an issue with the tap/keg or it being the bottom of the keg we got (pictures I have seen of others posting it look much different) but if somethings gonna have a ton of puree in it, figure out the best way to tap/serve it so that customers don't get two completely different experiences in drinking it.

29. rozzom

Trader

Cheaper bottle of champagne probably going to run you ~$30

RobNewton and fdonnelly like this.
  30. Comparison_Ford

Trader

"skeptical"=/=don't think I'll enjoy. It's possible to be curious and skeptical at the same time.

I enjoy the flavors of maple and peanut butter, but I find that they rarely translate well to adjunct stouts. There have been exceptions, and I was hoping these bottles might add to that list.

SeanEDPBK, ScottKramer and RobNewton like this.
  31. PapasDelicateCondition

PapasDelicateCondition Initiate (78) Sep 7, 2016 New York

When I make mixed drinks, they're pint-sized.

32. BoardwalkBock

BoardwalkBock Zealot (513) Aug 18, 2012 New York

I thought that was the standard format for cocktails....

33. rozzom

Trader

My wife constantly rolls her eyes at my requirement for a place to be considered a good brunch spot, that it must serve bloody marys by the pint

34. digdug1810

digdug1810 Aspirant (229) Mar 1, 2011 New Jersey

triple mosaic. niiiice... last one was a blueberry bomb in the best way

35. NewmansOwn

36. crowlcrowlcrowl

crowlcrowlcrowl Aspirant (245) Jun 13, 2014 New York
    Trader

The DDH Space Daydream prayers have been answered.

SpinSamzo, RobNewton and afroskully like this.
  37. Comparison_Ford

Trader

Send in the 'tose.

RobNewton likes this.
  38. rozzom

Trader

Choral sounding ahhh ahhh ah ahhhhh noise

RobNewton likes this.
  39. SeanRaymond

SeanRaymond Initiate (19) Mar 3, 2017 New Jersey