Other Half (2019)

Discussion in 'Mid-Atlantic' started by RobNewton, Jan 1, 2019.

1. NewmansOwn

NewmansOwn Aspirant (298) Jun 25, 2016 New York

IIRC there were a bunch of takeovers around the city before last years Green City. I can’t make it this year so I’m hoping to hit up a couple of them.

RobNewton and fdonnelly like this.
  2. dhaakon

dhaakon Devotee (439) May 30, 2005 New York
    Society

Still lurking. Haven’t hit up Other Half since the meetup or had anything to add to the discussion. I will be stocking up on ACE and Mylar today.

jrnyc, afroskully, frozyn and 2 others like this.
  3. fdonnelly

fdonnelly Initiate (146) Dec 14, 2016 New Jersey
    Trader

Yeah, I went to some stuff in the lead up to Green City last year, will likely do that again this year on Thur or Fri before Green City. Maybe more so Thur or Wed since I might want to just get to bed early prior to the festival ha

Mattttt and RobNewton like this.
  4. Mattttt

Mattttt Initiate (55) Feb 20, 2018 New York
    Trader

5. NewmansOwn

#EvenMoreEverything #EvenMoreGreen #EvenMoreDaydream

6. guinness77

guinness77 Meyvn (1,117) Jan 6, 2014 New York

I don’t know if its the Fucking gorgeous day out there or that I’m one shift away from a 4-day weekend but Small Citra is tasting the best it’s tasted so far. Just flat out awesome.

7. afroskully

afroskully Aspirant (232) Aug 24, 2016 New York

I’ve been working since 7am, yet the hardest part of my day was getting to OH needing 3 4-packs and deciding whether to double up on the Citra or the Mylar. I chose Citra although there really weren’t any wrong answers.

frozyn, fdonnelly and RobNewton like this.
  8. rozzom

rozzom Champion (807) Jan 22, 2011 New York
    Trader

There was a correct choice to make and you made it. Huzzah.

frozyn, afroskully and RobNewton like this.
  9. RobNewton

RobNewton Defender (605) Dec 30, 2014 New York
    Society Trader

That beer has gotten much better over the past year. Seemed like initially anything with Mosaic was must buy, then Galaxy, and now Citra.

The 4 day weekend doesn't hurt though. Enjoy it!

10. fdonnelly

fdonnelly Initiate (146) Dec 14, 2016 New Jersey
    Trader

I didnt crack and All Citra, thats tonight, but that Mylar Bags I had last night was great, wishing I got more than a 4 pack. I'm sure I'll eat my words and say the ACE was better tonight

11. Tallerboy

Tallerboy Initiate (81) Jun 17, 2017 New York

Mylar Bags > ACE it's true... Galaxy is the king, and in the hop game ACE is low. Citra ass down!

12. stairway2heavn

stairway2heavn Initiate (25) Aug 17, 2017 New Jersey

Ok, so I was debating making a public transit excursion from NJ as the only time I've had Mylar was that "off batch" a year or so ago which was... Fine. Guess if it's able to last till tomorrow I'll grab a four of each to save the bank account but finally try it free of lactose. If it's not stellar... Well $20 and 1.5 hr each way in the garbage.... I'll blame the lot of you for getting my hopes up.

13. Tallerboy

I kid, but with the time investment buy some ACE, it's damn solid!

ACE = Zoso, Mylar Bags = II, & Space Diamonds = Babe I'm Gonna Leave You

14. stairway2heavn

stairway2heavn Initiate (25) Aug 17, 2017 New Jersey

O
    Oh trust me, I'll buy the ACE.... Other than the fourth anniversary I've never had an other half beer that I NEEDED 2 four packs of vs. splitting the difference with something quality like ACE. Now if I were independently wealthy I'd just get the kegs of each and call it a day...NEIPA fall off be damned (because, in that scenario, I'm literally so rich it's an actual moral concern for society writ large).

tobelerone likes this.
  15. RobNewton

RobNewton Defender (605) Dec 30, 2014 New York
    Society Trader

This batch of mylar is fantastic and should be beautiful in some time.

But I'm on team ACE

fdonnelly and stairway2heavn like this.
  16. Greyvtrayn

Greyvtrayn Aspirant (221) Feb 17, 2017 New Jersey
    Trader

Is there ANY chance ACE and Mylar last until Friday?

17. rozzom

Trader

Yes I think so. Whether they make it through the day I’m not sure. But assuming you mean you’re going to line up for the Friday release I think you’ll have a solid chance.

18. Tallerboy

Yeah I think if you get there after work Friday you'll be SOL... #OHhatesB&Tcrowd

Greyvtrayn and RobNewton like this.
  19. afroskully

afroskully Aspirant (232) Aug 24, 2016 New York

DDH Space Diamonds and Mylar both=Achilles Last Stand.

Shook Ones II=Darlene from the ‘Coda’ album. Good enough not to turn off, but come on.

BrooklynNY and RobNewton like this.
  20. SpinSamzo

SpinSamzo Aspirant (253) Mar 11, 2017 New York
    Trader

Physical Graffiti was their best album tho

Jlabs and afroskully like this.
  21. guinness77

guinness77 Meyvn (1,117) Jan 6, 2014 New York

Presence, their most underrated.

RobNewton and afroskully like this.
  22. Greyvtrayn

Greyvtrayn Aspirant (221) Feb 17, 2017 New Jersey
    Trader

Ahh...right, the Friday release...lining up not an option...ah well!

BrooklynNY and RobNewton like this.
  23. BoardwalkBock

BoardwalkBock Zealot (513) Aug 18, 2012 New York

I’m waiting for someone to get off the train and currently blaating PG at full volume to the dismay of the crackheads on the platform. Ironically I open up this thread to see this post.

afroskully, SpinSamzo and RobNewton like this.
  24. frozyn

frozyn Defender (611) May 16, 2015 New York
    Society Trader

I had my last can of 99c Tea last night and I'll be damned if that isn't the OH beer that's impressed me the most this year. It started out weird, and it doesn't impress me because I think it's the best tasting thing they've made, but last night I couldn't stop thinking about how it tasted exactly like a beer interpretation of AZ Iced Tea.

Bravo, @creepyownerguy et al.

2Xmd likes this.
  25. dhaakon

dhaakon Devotee (439) May 30, 2005 New York
    Society

Picked up 2 4 packs of ACE and Mylar each but was really impressed with Triple Simcoe Daydream. Definitely got some hand selected pineapple notes. I think the ‘tose daydream treatment works best on their higher ABV beers.

BrooklynNY likes this.
  26. BrooklynNY

BrooklynNY Initiate (25) May 23, 2019 New York
    Trader

Same Here, I can't actually make Green City so I'm going to go to the "Trade Convention" haha - I asked about it and I think the event name is just tongue in cheek to celebrate the idea of sharing and trading within the beer community. I'm not bringing anything to trade - I'm just going to hang out for the bottle share and the draft lines - plus I love The Well.

It says here's going to be 8 draft lines with unlimited pours so I assume we'll be able to just drink a bunch of taps that there would probably be a long line for a 2oz pour at Green City.

fdonnelly and RobNewton like this.
  27. PapasDelicateCondition

PapasDelicateCondition Initiate (78) Sep 7, 2016 New York

Kind of seems like you work at The Well. Just sayin.

28. jfclark

jfclark Initiate (54) May 2, 2012 New York

The cans i have tried have been very grassy/green and not enjoyable at all. Taste like hop debris. Hoping it's just a couple bad cans and not all of them.

RobNewton likes this.
  29. Feaor

Feaor Initiate (116) Jul 9, 2017 New York

Drinking a Space Daydream right now on draft and I get that vegetal flavor people are commenting on and I agree its not really pleasant.

RobNewton likes this.
  30. rozzom

Trader

I bought 2 x 4 packs. While it was definitely a relatively weaker batch it was still enjoyable and not remotely offputting.

Perfectly possible though that I caught palatisis from @frozyn - @jrnyc were you reusing glasses?

31. Xerlic

Xerlic Initiate (128) Aug 26, 2016 New York
    Trader

Does it taste like hand selected Thai pineapples? I'm really not interested in them unless these pineapple notes taste like they come from the other side of the world.

32. njcraftfan

njcraftfan Initiate (92) Dec 18, 2016 New Jersey

been a bunch of comments on OH FB group about this and other recent Galaxy based beers.. people are blaming the crop/batch of hops they got, if that has any merit..

33. jrnyc

jrnyc Meyvn (1,082) Mar 21, 2010 New York
    Trader

That disease is what Tyler had/has, me, I am all good. But after what I am going to tell you now, many may differ. Passed on picking up DDH ACE and instead went all in on DDH Mylar Bags. Last 4 pack I had of it last go around it was amazing and two cans of DDH ACE I have drank were good to me , not mind blowing. And while we are at it, the draft I had of DDH Space Daydreams was too green, going to sit on my cans.

34. patmcd

patmcd Aspirant (227) Jul 5, 2008 New York

This ACE batch is tasting so damn good. Dare I say It's the best batch I've had? My favorite OH beer is Mylar and I just drank this side by side and I've got to give the nod to ACE right now...

RobNewton likes this.
  35. rozzom

Trader

Amped to hear that. About to have my first ACE after a 72 hour hiatus without alcohol

fdonnelly and RobNewton like this.
  36. patmcd

patmcd Aspirant (227) Jul 5, 2008 New York

FWIW I'm no ACE connoisseur. I wouldn't put it in my OH Top 5 as I'm a bigger fan of Mosaic and Galaxy in general. I haven't bought it in a while, but this batch surprised me and like I said, I'm digging it more than my favorite Mylar right now.

37. crowlcrowlcrowl

crowlcrowlcrowl Aspirant (245) Jun 13, 2014 New York
    Trader

Swung through on my way home for some ACE and Mylar. Here to report bother are tasting stellar. God bless the midweek godz.

38. SaisonRichBiere

SaisonRichBiere Savant (952) Mar 23, 2011 Michigan
    Trader

Apologies if this is addressed somewhere here, but I’m lazy and don’t feel like reading through 80 pages....

Are there any shops to grab cans at? Or is the brewery the best bet?

Traveling with my family and unlikely that I’ll be able to make a trip to the taproom.

Thanks!

39. crowlcrowlcrowl

crowlcrowlcrowl Aspirant (245) Jun 13, 2014 New York
    Trader

Officially speaking, the brewery is the only spot to grab cans.

RobNewton likes this.
  40. NewmansOwn