Other Half (2019)

Discussion in 'Mid-Atlantic' started by RobNewton, Jan 1, 2019.

1. brandnewcardock

brandnewcardock Initiate (80) Aug 23, 2017 New York
    Trader

I get not wanting to drink Heady at a sugary milk-based double IPA festival, but thinking it's bad enough to not finish a can you surely paid $10+ for? Come on son...

2. jopdogg5

jopdogg5 Initiate (37) Dec 27, 2016 New Jersey
    Trader

Has anyone heard if there will be any midweek surprises gearing up for this weekend?

3. afroskully

afroskully Aspirant (251) Aug 24, 2016 New York
    Trader

digging this batch of Vapor Ringz. Fruitier than I remember from last time. Or maybe I'm just telling myself it's really good since you jerks took all the Mylar before I could get there.

4. fdonnelly

fdonnelly Initiate (177) Dec 14, 2016 New Jersey
    Trader

The two "West Coast" IPAs OH have dropped have been good. They aren't real West Coast IMO, more like a mash up west coast and NE IPA. I said they reminded me of Heady Topper-esque type of beer IMO. It has been a while since I had a heady topper myself.

5. Feaor

Feaor Initiate (145) Jul 9, 2017 New York

All we know is that #OHtheresmore.

fdonnelly and jopdogg5 like this.
  6. tinoynk

tinoynk Initiate (89) Sep 25, 2010 New York
    Trader

I'm just that much of a rebel.

7. FatSkippy

FatSkippy Initiate (49) Mar 21, 2005 New York

I'm hungover just from reading about those Green City beers.

8. Comparison_Ford

Comparison_Ford Disciple (373) Apr 4, 2014 New York
    Trader

If it's any consolation I'm not crazy about this batch of Mylar. It's not necessarily bad, but I much preferred the batch prior. Had one alongside a Forever Simcoe last night and Simcoe was the clear winner.

9. NewmansOwn

NewmansOwn Disciple (322) Jun 25, 2016 New York

IIRC I'm pretty sure there will be a Thursday release along with VIP pickups for the Fest.

mayhops and fdonnelly like this.
  10. fdonnelly

Trader

Believe this is correct, I think they also said there would be a normal Sat release as well. Which would be different from last year when they did Green City

11. Jlabs

Jlabs Meyvn (1,423) Nov 11, 2013 New York
    Society Trader

12. joehill

joehill Initiate (170) Apr 11, 2008 New York
    Trader

A bit late to post this, but thanks to the folks who recommended Always & Forever! I didn’t think Forever Ever was good so never went for it but it’s incredible, wish I’d bought more than 2 four packs.

13. stairway2heavn

stairway2heavn Initiate (41) Aug 17, 2017 New Jersey

So what are the odds the triple space diamonds is an improvement on the last attempt? Seems like most people didn't think much of it, with it being bitter and boozy. Anyone have experience with them significantly initiating a fairly meh triple?

14. tinoynk

Trader

I think I heard that they tinkered with Feels Like Outerspace after the first batch.

stairway2heavn likes this.
  15. NewmansOwn

16. Vizualize

Vizualize Initiate (120) Jun 13, 2014 New York

Verdant and Cloudwater tap takeover at the taproom in BK, right meow. 4 lines of Verdant. 4 lines of Cloudwater. 6 Verdant cans available for sale. Single cans $5 and 4 packs for $18.

17. Jlabs

Society Trader

18. LeedsZimbabwe

LeedsZimbabwe Initiate (129) Nov 23, 2014 New York
    Trader

Verdant cans lasting another couple of hours?

19. ChittyChambers

ChittyChambers Aspirant (257) Jan 12, 2016 Maryland
    Trader

Considering the cans are about 6 to 8 pounds overseas that's crazy good

20. tinoynk

Trader

Jesus, and I thought the retail markup on Singlecut was expensive.

21. Feaor

Yea I didn't bring any back when I went to Cloudwater's taproom in London since the DIPA cans like the OH/Monkish/The Veil cans were £8 each, and they are only 440ml, pretty insane.

22. Tallerboy

Tallerboy Initiate (96) Jun 17, 2017 New York

I think that's government mark-up.

23. NewmansOwn

Broccoli Kong will be on tap tonight at As Is per Instagram

fdonnelly likes this.
  24. SeanEDPBK

SeanEDPBK Initiate (112) Jun 8, 2016 New York

I gotta say that even though I don't go to these beer festivals OH does, the events bring incredible beers from all over the world to their taproom and other bars, and stir up collabs all of which locals benefit from, and I love that, and am glad OH is doing the festival thing.

25. Tallerboy

I'm with you... I'll spend my hundreds on all the collabs and drink my IPAs over the coming weeks with no killer hangover.

RobNewton and SeanEDPBK like this.
  26. Shawn_Sins

Shawn_Sins Initiate (61) Sep 3, 2013 Virginia

Hey y’all, planning a visit next month. Does OH still get the long lines Saturday AM? And would you say waiting in line is necessary to score every beer on a saturday release? Do they still sell out same day? Also how common is it for a few to be left over from day the week before? Looking to go all in on a big haul with max variety.

Another question. Anyone ever get to other half early and then make it out to Hudson valley for the noon Saturday release. Wondering if this would even work logistically. Not sure how fast hvb sells out

27. BoardwalkBock

BoardwalkBock Zealot (547) Aug 18, 2012 New York

No need to line up anymore. Get there around 11 and you’ll get everything.

As for making it to HVB by Noon - don’t count on it. Even if you lined up to be one of the first people at OH to get beer around 10, it could take you almost an hour to just get to the whitestone bridge from OH (BQE is a horrendous road and you can never plan accordingly). Then you have to get through the Bronx. Once you get on the Hutch, it’s another hour plus to the brewery. However, it is my understanding that HVB hasn’t been selling out until 2-3pm lately, sometimes later.

Edit: Forgot you could take the tunnel to the FDR drive but still, count on at least a 2 hour drive from OH to HVB on a Saturday.

RobNewton likes this.
  28. Shawn_Sins

Shawn_Sins Initiate (61) Sep 3, 2013 Virginia

Thanks for the tip. I don’t think I’ll do Hudson. I’ll settle for other half and Grimm and whatever else is dropping that weekend in Brooklyn / queens

RobNewton likes this.
  29. crowlcrowlcrowl

crowlcrowlcrowl Aspirant (251) Jun 13, 2014 New York
    Trader

You won’t be settling. HVB beers are fun and interesting, but I can’t imaging loading up on them.

30. guinness77

guinness77 Meyvn (1,212) Jan 6, 2014 New York

If you go to Grimm, they’re releasing Afterimage which is one of the best dipas out there (one of my favorites) so I’d call that a pretty decent consolation prize.

31. Jlabs

Society Trader

if you do Grimm, might as well make stops at Evil Twin & Finback (all very close to one another)

guinness77, RobNewton and SeanEDPBK like this.
  32. Resuin

Resuin Meyvn (1,281) Jun 18, 2012 Massachusetts
    Trader

Interboro too, right?

I’ll be in town this weekend and hope to make it to OH, Threes, Grimm, Interboro, LIC Beer, maybe Evil Twin, Finback, Mikkeller, Singlecut. So many good options there.

guinness77 and RobNewton like this.
  33. Feaor

Finback, Mikkeller, and Singlecut are pretty far from the others. OH and Threes are close and Interboro, Grimm and Evil Twin are all on the L along with KCBC. I would do either of those groups unless you don't mind a lot of traveling or you're driving.

34. Resuin

Resuin Meyvn (1,281) Jun 18, 2012 Massachusetts
    Trader

Yeah, I’m starting with OH and Threes, and staying in LIC. Might be tough to make some of them, but will see where the day takes us.

35. Feaor

36. BoardwalkBock

BoardwalkBock Zealot (547) Aug 18, 2012 New York

Grimm is definitely worth it. If I were you, I’d try to get there around opening. Not for line purposes but for the fact that it gets super crowded with BK’s finest hipsters in the afternoon. Unless you are into that...

37. Tallerboy

Interboro less than a 10min walk from Grimm, you have no excuse not to visit... Make sure to download the MTA app to watch subway times when jumping neighborhoods to Evil Twin and KCBC, the L is a half-ass train for the near future.

Also the Threes fridge is your friend to grab local cans of places you can't make.

RobNewton likes this.
  38. Tallerboy

Yep, I buy cans and about face to Interboro for a more relaxed atmosphere.

BoardwalkBock likes this.
  39. fdonnelly

Trader

This is my first foray into an OH festival. Should be interesting, going to try to get some things I really want to try and then hit up some of the tables people might be overlooking. I second the enjoyment of us gettting collab beers, tap takeovers and other events as well!

Are they really expecting that crazy of a turnout for the release today that they are handing out wristbands?

SeanEDPBK likes this.
  40. Tallerboy

Seem to me they want the people inside dropping cash on pours vs sharing cans on the sidewalk.