Other Half (2020)

Discussion in 'Mid-Atlantic' started by algebeeric_topology, Jan 1, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sheppard

Sheppard Meyvn (1,353) Mar 16, 2013 Virginia
    Trader

The storm is coming - and by storm, I mean Other Half DC.

CreightonSM and rozzom like this.
  2. MNPikey

MNPikey Devotee (437) Feb 27, 2011 Minnesota
    Trader

Other Half has started distributing here to MN and landed last week with over 10 different beer varieties.

CreightonSM and ColdOne like this.
  3. afroskully

afroskully Aspirant (273) Aug 24, 2016 New York
    Trader

Can someone do some OH to English translation for me? The dollar slice description today contains Vermont yeast. Does that mean more or less melon?

jaysker95 and Xerlic like this.
  4. guinness77

guinness77 Poo-Bah (1,789) Jan 6, 2014 New York
    Society

I’m kinda surprised, but I really shouldn’t, that it’s going for $20 a 4-pack.

fdonnelly likes this.
  5. SpinSamzo

SpinSamzo Aspirant (296) Mar 11, 2017 New York
    Trader

Hmm they just announced Dollar Slice though what could they mean by that :thinking_face:

6. rozzom

rozzom Meyvn (1,008) Jan 22, 2011 New York
    Trader

Is that a joke?? What do you think it means - it means those democratic commie deep state pedos are reconvening back at Comet Ping Pong and only Donny can save us!

7. Xerlic

Xerlic Initiate (182) Aug 26, 2016 New York
    Trader

I'm pretty sure the state of Vermont kicks you out if a brewery makes melon beer.

8. tinoynk

tinoynk Initiate (100) Sep 25, 2010 New York
    Trader

Wasn't this melon thing originally in Green Power, which I think has VT yeast?

Xerlic and SeanEDPBK like this.
  9. just_sugar_water

just_sugar_water Initiate (25) Dec 14, 2015 New Jersey

so this is for training purposes? cause it doesn't seem like they're short on brewing capacity with the amount of beer piling up slowly at their BK location despite all the distribution/delivery that is happening

10. pinballjj

pinballjj Initiate (17) Nov 25, 2019 New York

don't let the simple truth get in the way of a good conspiracy theory!!

I recently bought some citra and galaxy , stacks on stacks southern hemisphere and cream. one of them was brewed at young lion . they all were good!!

I hope this info is helpful in furthering someone's agenda...

Sheppard likes this.
  11. pinballjj

per email not for training but to expand capacity until they open new facility.

My hope is if they have beer "piling up "they lower their prices!!

12. NewmansOwn

NewmansOwn Disciple (379) Jun 25, 2016 New York

New beer alert!

11 Pounders IPA (5.8%) Big things come in small mylar packages. This regular IPA version of Mylar Bags is still stuffed with enormous amounts of Citra, Mosaic, Galaxy, El Dorado and Amaillo. $16 per 4 pack.

fdonnelly likes this.
  13. rozzom

Trader

Jesus Christ. I capitalized the right letters for the handful of people to whom your coded message wasn’t immediately obvious

14. just_sugar_water

just_sugar_water Initiate (25) Dec 14, 2015 New Jersey

if they start distributing using a middleman that's essentially what they're doing. safe to assume they will sell to a distributor at a lower cost than retail. of course the customer will not necessarily see those savings when they buy from a store unless they compare it to the cost of buying from a mule and getting beer shipped or driving a long distance to pick it up from the brewery directly.

15. NewmansOwn

Anyone heard anything about the taproom reopening?

JRAP20 likes this.
  16. afroskully

Trader

Well, it’s come to this. I now just look for the finger lakes brews in Brooklyn. Quonset Hut is one of the better beers I’ve had from OH in a while. Maybe there is something to this conspiracy theory thing after all (pentagon logo, blue tab.... hmmmmm.....)

17. ColdOne

ColdOne Aspirant (255) Jan 19, 2013 New York
    Trader

I’m glad you said that, ‘cause when I had one the other day I was looking around like, “is it me, or is this beer delicious?”

18. BLazarus22

BLazarus22 Initiate (35) Aug 5, 2011 New York

This is a great question. I was just recently up in the Adirondacks and experienced my first taste of indoor - well - anything. Today Pizza Moto sent out an email saying they are waiting until they can have 50% capacity before reopening. I walked by Za-Ya Ramen and they appear to be moving ahead based on signage indicating 8 people max. I hardly realized tomorrow is "the day" until just now.

I would imagine the issue OH has is their entire space is full of stock but I do wonder what they are planning.

Also, they would need to serve food by law now so they would need to really up that supply of doritos.

#4538 BLazarus22, Oct 1, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2020
  19. Xerlic

Trader

A friend of mine told me that double fantasy was really hot when the box arrived, so I saved my 1 can for last. I thought it was one of the best of the box. It had a lot of that good shit Simcoe pineapple.

Man I'm a commuter that only started going to OH in 2018 when they started doing midweek drops. I'm not OG enough to know what B1 Green Power tasted like.

Samurai_I_Amuri and fdonnelly like this.
  20. bring

bring Initiate (87) Aug 17, 2005 Massachusetts
    Trader

Is there a way to know which beers on the Brooklyn list were brewed at FLX (other than asking in person)?

fdonnelly and afroskully like this.
  21. afroskully

Trader

Check the fingerlakes IG. They post them there when released, and they eventually make it down here.

fdonnelly, ColdOne and bring like this.
  22. rozzom

Trader

I can’t speak to the accuracy (and don’t remember seeing this on the handful of FLX beers I bought, but it’s been a while), but via the CT thread:

fdonnelly likes this.
  23. ColdOne

Trader

Nah. No blue tabs that I’ve seen from FLX (Ithaca guy here).

rozzom likes this.
  24. ColdOne

Trader

I'm wrong. Plenty of FLX tabs hiding underneath the holders? Blue.

This Columbo moment brought to you by my wife, who complained that there wasn't enough room for veggies in the beer fridge. (She thinks it's the "veggie fridge").

frozyn, SeanEDPBK, afroskully and 5 others like this.
  25. Xerlic

Trader

OH FLX makes better beer than OH BK? Needing to go to the What's on the shelves in CT (???????) thread to solve the mystery of beer provenance? How long has it been since #OHhateslocals?

FL0, frozyn, Sheppard and 3 others like this.
  26. brandnewcardock

brandnewcardock Initiate (80) Aug 23, 2017 New York
    Trader

Next year someone needs to take a can of Broccoli from FLX, DC, Williamsburg and Young Lion, combine them all together and compare them to a can of Broccoli from Gowanus. Unless the combo tastes exactly like the Gowanus can, we need mass protests at all locations.

atlhilbo, Sheppard, SeanEDPBK and 2 others like this.
  27. fdonnelly

fdonnelly Aspirant (275) Dec 14, 2016 New Jersey
    Trader

I can be your guinea pig, I do love me some broccoli!
    Yeah I remember Andrew saying on some Instagram Live (a handful of months ago now) that he doesn't think the tap room will be open for a long time, even if things started to get a bit better. I know he and others have said how they really had to completely rework everything to do what they are doing right now, and opening the tap room at a reduced capacity for what would likely be only the local-ish people like ourselves, with no guarantee, just doesn't make sense. Seems like they would want to run with this type of set up until they can have a larger crowd in the taproom while they figure out what to do with the delivery/pick up/shipping options

FL0, Xerlic and afroskully like this.
  28. ColdOne

Trader

Is it still a cuvée if it’s 4 versions of the same beer? Seems like a pretty badass, craftivore thing to do.

“Not bad... hints of DC with Young Lion undertones...”

BLazarus22 and fdonnelly like this.
  29. NewmansOwn

Up on curbside:

G is for Green Imperial IPA (8.5%) With Citra, Simcoe + Vic Secret. An OG never-canned-before IPA makes a comeback. A slightly updated recipe now with Vic Secret hops to play alongside our hand selected Citra and Simcoe. $18 per 4 pack

30. afroskully

Trader

whoa! bringing it back old school. I don't think I ever had this one before, but I do remember the inversely named Green is for G's which was a crazy high abv IPA that was super boozy. Pretty sure they only served it in those little 4oz tasters which was by far enough.

fdonnelly likes this.
  31. SeanEDPBK

SeanEDPBK Initiate (127) Jun 8, 2016 New York

Damn I miss drinking in the taproom. Bummed the partial reopening isn't likely in the works.

Xerlic, NewmansOwn and fdonnelly like this.
  32. tinoynk

tinoynk Initiate (100) Sep 25, 2010 New York
    Trader

Really loving Enhanced Mind. I'm a fan of the original version, but damn this hits every spot a 10% IPA ever could.

CreightonSM and hops_for_thought like this.
  33. pinballjj

[
    had a FLX last night , no blue

ColdOne likes this.
  34. ColdOne

Trader

So it's looking like there's no clear pattern. FLX folks, we're going to have to use a blue sharpie on the ones that are silver.

BLazarus22 and fdonnelly like this.
  35. regan2489

regan2489 Initiate (0) Jul 16, 2009 New York

Feel like I’ve had 20+ different OH IPAs since C+S (including all the green city’s and latest Citra exp/hop showers releases) and they have all been...meh? It’s not that any have been bad, they just all seem to blend together...oh and the melon :slight_frown:

Probably more of a me thing at this point as I sort of felt the same about a recent batch of tree houses I had. Might be time to take a break to appreciate how good I have it around here.

36. rozzom

Trader

MOAR. CITRA. AND. MOTHERF**KING. STRATA, please! Is that too much to ask? Being in the burbs have I lost all sway? If so can someone who is still officially Brooklyn-based please put in the request...

SeanEDPBK, jrnyc, afroskully and 3 others like this.
  37. Sheppard

Sheppard Meyvn (1,353) Mar 16, 2013 Virginia
    Trader

There's a tour of the new facility on the Other Half DC instagram story.

38. hoppytobehere

hoppytobehere Champion (818) Aug 10, 2012 District of Columbia

Came in here to post this. The space is incredible. Hope they open soon.

39. pinballjj

" requests will only be honored if wearing full other half ensemble- plus beard"

fdonnelly and rozzom like this.
  40. jrnyc

jrnyc Meyvn (1,149) Mar 21, 2010 New York
    Trader

It’s not you

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.