Other Half (2020)

Discussion in 'Mid-Atlantic' started by algebeeric_topology, Jan 1, 2020.

1. algebeeric_topology

algebeeric_topology Crusader (708) Dec 30, 2014 New York
    Society Trader

Green City is certainly the best selling by volume beer they make! I'm cheating a bit since it's all over town. I wonder if we'll actually see more cans of it during all this because of the decrease in on premise sales.

As per it being their "best" beer, it's a solid NEIPA and the quality seems really consistent. I'll take great batches of space diamonds over green city, but green city over weaker batches of space diamonds.

JayORear, prettygood, pinyin and 5 others like this.
  2. tinoynk

tinoynk Initiate (105) Sep 25, 2010 New York
    Trader

Oh yea it's basically their flagship so I'm sure it's by far their best-selling beer to outside accounts, but I always saw it as kind of entry level OH. If somebody never had their stuff before it'd be a great baseline representation of what they do, but I've never been tempted to get cans myself.

algebeeric_topology likes this.
  3. stairway2heavn

stairway2heavn Initiate (60) Aug 17, 2017 New Jersey

I mean, one, as said it's distributed a ton throughout NYC. I would suspect it also has to do with a reliable consistent (cheap, relatively speaking) source of hops for it that makes them great margins even when they're mostly not canning it or pouring out at the brewery. Margins probably tighter on a lot of their other stuff. Plus I've had it a few times and it's as close to their "Budweiser" as you get, insofar as it always tastes about the same. I've had variations in ACE/SD/green power etc and lactose variations but never as significant a change in green City. I'm not knowledgeable enough about brewing and procurement of ingredients to fully get how that happens but that's my (uneducated) opinion.

4. RauchbierFan33

RauchbierFan33 Initiate (62) May 27, 2019 New York
    Trader

With a mega beer geek hat on it’s arguably entry level. If a “regular” person who just generally enjoys nice things did a side by side between green city and triple citra, they would find one to be a balanced, relatively dry, tasty NEIPA, and the other to be an in your face sugar bomb worthy of dumping. We’ve incrementally fucked ourselves and our palates

5. bryantc3

bryantc3 Aspirant (202) Apr 12, 2017 New Jersey
    Trader

i did that too.

now word is NJ is being a bunch of jackasses and putting a stop to breweries delivering beer.

6. hops_for_thought

hops_for_thought Initiate (179) Jun 14, 2013 New York
    Trader

Are you saying only true beer nerds can appreciate in your face sugar bombs? Those other poor fools can only appreciate beers that taste somewhat like beer, smh

7. fdonnelly

fdonnelly Aspirant (238) Dec 14, 2016 New Jersey
    Trader

FWIW Geriz posted on his story Green City is his fav IPA too, I do love Green City and I agree with @algebeeric_topology and his earlier post too.
    I think an everyday walk up, I don't like beer much or know much about what craft beer is person would like the sweetness of a triple citra more than something lacking that. Although the overt alcohol that hits out of the gate could deter them if they drank it right when it dropped. but hey what do I know lol.
    I think this is only for NJ breweries since they are competing directly with the restaurants/bars doing take out right now. what a total joke though and a complete slap in the face of small business in NJ. All small business should be able to do as much as they can right now. Its a freaking wonder that some of these long standing breweries have survived and even flourished in NJ under the radically idiotic laws they need to abide by.

jmanic, pinyin, DrStiffington and 3 others like this.
  8. Justonemore91

Justonemore91 Aspirant (244) Nov 24, 2018 New York
    Trader

Remember when breweries use to work with local distributors to get beer to almost every neighborhood. Industrial arts just handed there NYC distribution network to sarene and Its working for them. Getting the beer you like shouldn't be so hard. Other half is making this way more complicated than it has to be

JayORear, Padraig and SeanEDPBK like this.
  9. stairway2heavn

Yeah but then they're getting less of a cut, so that's the easy answer. If they can sell out without involving a distributor why would you? Plenty of breweries here in NJ self distribute, and it's taken time for even the larger ones to expand to most/all of NJ. I get you have connections to retail liquor stores etc. but let's face it, other half generally has been popular enough that it hasn't felt the need to do anything other than mobile can releases or work with a very specific liquor store.

10. RauchbierFan33

Trader

They are? I’m not an expert in either running a brewery or in pandemics, but is now the best time to be setting up relationship/infrastructure with a distributor?

a) other direct to consumer breweries are scrambling to get beer to people via non-distributor channels as well, so don’t think OH can/should be singled out

b) as was already mentioned in this thread, OH are doing it in such a way that it allows them to retain/help their employees - whether or not there’s a self interested aspect at play as well, I still think that’s admirable.

c) I don’t think any of the OH type (selling cans of haze direct) breweries can be faulted for not accounting for global pandemics in their business model - they’re all trying their best in the circumstances

11. algebeeric_topology

Society Trader

He's got too much of an angle and is sanctimonious about distributors in other threads, like they're the konami code of beer or some shit.

I don't entirely agree with this. Better beer is better beer and once people know what they like, they'll prefer better options. Certainly one may prefer less tasteful beer, but I think that's the minority.

12. Xerlic

Xerlic Initiate (163) Aug 26, 2016 New York
    Trader

I'm down to my last can of ACE. The only other OH cans I have left are the panna cotta and recent crunchee bullshit. This quarantine is so depressing man.

13. RauchbierFan33

Trader

Wait I’m not quite following your second point. And I wasn’t clear on my initial one that it was in response to. I was meaning that if a certain person who while not a beer geek, could broadly be said to have a developed palate, tried both Green City and Triple Whatever Daydream side by side, my guess is they would prefer the Green City. And I was blaming a certain (vocal and committed) segment of the beer geek spectrum for putting us in a situation where places like OH feel they need to produce sugary triples

JayORear likes this.
  14. Justonemore91

Trader

15. frozyn

frozyn Defender (619) May 16, 2015 New York
    Society Trader

Where does it say that it's OH's job to make things convenient for customers? That comes well down the line after making money and paying bills, making investors happy, sanitation, making good beer, finding and keeping (some) employees, collaborations, festivals, the list keeps on going. Their business model is predicated on it being inconvenient for customers -- how else would they get free distribution via mules/razzles/trading/etc.?

guinness77, pinyin, Xerlic and 4 others like this.
  16. Justonemore91

Trader

Really short sighted. There's always going to be something new and better

17. algebeeric_topology

Society Trader

You're right and I had such a terrible moment experience recently. I walked a block and a half to get Other Half at my nearest local shop. I much would've preferred some distributor pick up the cans to then sit on for a few days before driving them around town and taking an extra cut. I would have preferred that tremendously.

Right, but most of us here seem to not prefer Triple whatever anyways and we've been exposed to plenty of NEIPA so I don't understand why bring them into it.

I'm arguing that Green City's "balance" isn't necessarily something that would make an imaginary person with a refined (and imagined) palate prefer it when exposed to NEIPA for potentially the first time. If we imagine the best batches of Space Diamonds, deserving of all the imaginary fire emojis but not a balanced beer in any regard, it might not be blown away in an imaginary blind taste test against Green City. My experience introducing (real, non imaginary) people to sour beer has been either they hate it and don't come back around much, or love sour things, enjoy that they can have sour beer, and immediately want it as sour as possible.

It is insane how differently states handle alcohol.

18. fdonnelly

Trader

I still think the sugary/sweeter triple is more appealing to, say my sister who doesnt like beer or craft beer, but would stomach a sweeter tasting version of either over one with a slight hoppiness or bitterness to it, but maybe I am wrong when I think thats a lot of the public?
    Debatable, if this were true, OH wouldn't be where they are today. There are new and different things often, doesn't mean they are going to be better at all

19. uuudar

uuudar Initiate (138) Oct 19, 2013 New York
    Trader

Delivery here on the UES worked flawlessly, A++ would use again. Rare Nacho Cheesier Doritos varietal

20. algebeeric_topology

Society Trader

This times a bunch. At the time people said nobody would go to a brewery for cans, with many trips 45 minutes and longer, while good beer is available locally.

Of course this is true and I think that's what keeps them up at night. It feels like they had struck an awesome balance of giving us solid classics during the week and dropping crazy triples and stupid crunchees on Saturday. So long as people can move beyond thinking they have to try everything and want all of it to be available to them in cans whenever they want, they'll probably find OH is meeting their needs as a beer drinker.

21. RauchbierFan33

Trader

I agree with you guys. I think I’m just doing a bad job of articulating myself, thus I will give up!

fdonnelly likes this.
  22. fdonnelly

Trader

Things get lost in translation sometimes when the conversation isn't face to face ha

RauchbierFan33 likes this.
  23. crowlcrowlcrowl

crowlcrowlcrowl Aspirant (257) Jun 13, 2014 New York
    Trader

Took a couple months off from drinking and the following happened:

• Coronavirus
    • OH started delivering....to the Upper East Side
    • Apparently an off batch of ACE?

Whoops

Anyways, how is this batch of Space Daydream?

24. Peterock27

Peterock27 Aspirant (226) Oct 4, 2016 New York
    Trader

Not sure but last week’s space diamonds is definitely off.

25. Tallerboy

Tallerboy Initiate (116) Jun 17, 2017 New York
    Trader

Far Out, Spaced Out turned a corner, hopefully Space Diamonds does too.

Prince_Casual and fdonnelly like this.
  26. jrnyc

jrnyc Meyvn (1,144) Mar 21, 2010 New York
    Trader

Lol, who would have thunk it!!

27. MattInBklyn

MattInBklyn Initiate (41) Dec 27, 2017 New York

is this a “bad galaxy” situation like last year?

also, +1 for OH balancing transparency, safety, and access through all of this. Can only imagine everything they’re dealing with.

28. FrederickLawOlmsted

FrederickLawOlmsted Initiate (33) Sep 7, 2019 New York

I recall someone asking a while back about the status of the Domino Park location. Well, here's what it looked like today:

[​IMG]

I caught a glimpse inside earlier this week, and there's still lots of work to be done. If I had to guess, perhaps it'll be ready sometime this summer?*

(*Disclaimer: I'm an optimist who knows nothing about construction and hasn't spoken to the contractor.)

Whenever it does open, we'll have to arrange a meet-up there. But out of respect for the current public health crisis, might I suggest that we forgo multiple people tasting from the same glass and zealously sticking our hands into our mouths?:slight_smile:

P.S. And that's the new Roberta's going into the opposite corner. It's not the Golden Arches, but it'll do in a pinch. For some of us, anyway.:wink:

29. Tallerboy

Trader

Fuck North Brooklyn, leave the new OG taproom to the locals, enjoy all the boat shoes and shorts with little pink whales.

30. Peterock27

Peterock27 Aspirant (226) Oct 4, 2016 New York
    Trader

Where are all the people in that picture...:thinking_face:

31. Greyvtrayn

Greyvtrayn Aspirant (242) Feb 17, 2017 New Jersey
    Trader

Further proof it is a recent picture.

32. fdonnelly

Trader

while I haven't been able to get any new OH, i've gone down the rabbit hole of ordering more burial... this should pan out well for my wallet. Did just have my last Stacks on Stacks and it was tasting real good

33. DrederickTatum

DrederickTatum Aspirant (201) Dec 13, 2016 New Jersey
    Trader

Blade and Sheath is a solid saison if you happened to order that one.

Impulsively decided to take a trip to OH after work today with the mentality that it may be my last chance for a while. Deep Orbit might be the best stout I’ve had from them. PB is there but not overpowering and not a sugar bomb like most OH stouts. Great stuff.

fdonnelly and SeanEDPBK like this.
  34. AccipiterofBeer

AccipiterofBeer Aspirant (253) Nov 28, 2016 New York

Oh Wow the new location is at Domino Park? They'll get a lot of business, that park is the shit. In the future the entire East River waterfront is going to be a continuous esplanade because of gentrification. Its going to be noisy there for the next few years though, there's still a quite few more towers and public space to be built.

[​IMG]

35. FrederickLawOlmsted

FrederickLawOlmsted Initiate (33) Sep 7, 2019 New York

Gentrification is obviously a problem throughout Brooklyn, but you know as well as I do that the OG Other Half taproom is now closed with the exception of special events and the new taproom next door is often filled with folks who weren't born in Gowanus, Carroll Gardens, or Red Hook and wear blue collars. Places change. Industries do, too. Sometimes for better, others for worse. It's complicated.

But if this new outpost in the prime corner space of a luxury high-rise in a posh neighborhood doesn't offer salmon pink pants, shorts, and bowties peppered with little green broccolis as exclusive merch for their well-heeled clientele, I'll be sorely disappointed. That'll smack of commercial ineptitude, and I may even join your provincial crusade.

Given how crowded Domino Park can be whenever the weather's nice, the irony of this afternoon's desolation, even though it was a somewhat raw day, wasn't lost on me. When this location opens, and the pandemic has passed, it'll be a gold mine. To say nothing of when the "development" of that area is complete. The rent can't be cheap, but it won't matter.

36. SeanEDPBK

SeanEDPBK Initiate (127) Jun 8, 2016 New York

@DrederickTatum I'm so down on OH stouts as a self-proclaimed stout snob, but the PB Deep Orbit was surprisingly delicious and I'm lookin' to get another bottle next time I swing through for cans. I think it's that nutty/roastiness of the peanuts working with the malts to counteract the perception of sweetness (which is definitely there with that one). It's got me hoping they go the fluffernutter direction a few more times (maybe with some coffee next).

@fdonnelly I find a self-imposed OH IPA break is always a good thing and helps one appreciate that even their "off batches" can run much farther and faster than the best brews from many other hop-centric breweries.

Curiously, why doesn't OH fuck with Belgian styles much- are they not fans? Or is it economics? Have they discussed that on a podcast (I don't listen to those). I think we lean on economics a lot (deliveries, pricing, limits, blah blah blah) but I bet there's more personality and intuition going into brewing and business decisions that we assume. Anyway, when I need a hop-bomb retreat I go to Belgian styles because they can cover your bitter or malty cravings really well.

37. DrederickTatum

DrederickTatum Aspirant (201) Dec 13, 2016 New Jersey
    Trader

Take OH, replace stouts/sours with Belgians, and you get Monkish. Took a trip there last month (right before all hell broke loose) and I gotta say as highly regarded as their IPAs are, their Belgian stuff was even better. Always heard OH inspired them on IPAs, hoping one day Monkish will return the favor on Belgian styles.

fdonnelly and SeanEDPBK like this.
  38. Padraig

Padraig Initiate (132) Jan 14, 2013 New York
    Trader

Whenever OH wander outside their haze factory guardrails it’s doesn’t tend to work out so well.

underoath437 likes this.
  39. stairway2heavn

First to agree with that, though people didn't get on overnight lines pre anniversary over the fourth anniversary IPA (that we've all agreed was some of their best work historically), but the silly pastry stouts.... Clearly the crunchee garbage sells and so do their overly sweet stouts. Could they do more balanced and restrained stouts or sours? Maybe but hell why bother? Base stout not so great? Throw in more candy bars or whatever. "Sour" usually just means MOAR SUGAH BUT FRUIT NOT CHOCOLATE!
    that said the short, dark,______ series is generally at worst very competently done if not actually high quality, but that won't get people lining up or trading for WHALEZ.

TLDR.. Do they actually lack talent/know how or do they lack economic incentive?

Padraig likes this.
  40. Tallerboy

Trader

I was was half joking that's why I said new OG... I will be happy if the north Outpost pulls the trendy crowd away the south location.

Around there I use the disappearing Madonnas and St. Anthonys as a metric of gentrification, soon all the pizza will have vegan sausage on it.

RauchbierFan33 likes this.