Other Half Brewery Thread (Oct 2015)

Discussion in 'Mid-Atlantic' started by Kanger, Oct 1, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NickBourne

NickBourne Initiate (117) Jul 9, 2014 New York
    Trader

@Kanger any word on what the limit will be for the collab?

2. Tbub18

Tbub18 Disciple (395) Oct 31, 2014 New York
    Trader

If anyone is wondering what it will be like, take a trip over to the Trillium thread. That was a Monday afternoon at 12 and was a complete shitshow. I think it was 6 bombers p/p then they lowered it--anyone who went please correct me if I'm wrong. Unless the limit is like 4 cans I'll sit this one out and hope to try it on tap somewhere in the city

2Xmd, joehill, jrnyc and 1 other person like this.
  3. jrnyc

jrnyc Meyvn (1,112) Mar 21, 2010 New York
    Trader

The crazy thing was that beer was probably no better than any other Trillium beer that people can walk into Trillium at any time and get. Same thing probably applies here. These are probably my two favorite breweries, just because they collab doesn't mean the beer will be better than a bunch of the beers you can get tonight at OH and drink till you cant stand up anymore. But your right, this is going to bring out a massive line, unless the limits are lower which would discourage people from making very long trips for it.

4. icfpny

icfpny Initiate (135) Apr 3, 2015 New York

Hell, even four cans PP would be fine by me...

#364 icfpny, Oct 28, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2015
    berto714, cebern and HeyLady like this.
  5. berto714

berto714 Aspirant (280) Oct 16, 2014 New York

Yea, not only would this be fine, but I would prefer it. The last thing I want is to head over there and wait in line just to get shut out.

bkabak and Tbub18 like this.
  6. marshmeli

marshmeli Initiate (0) Feb 14, 2012 New York

i assume 2 4pks per person will be the limit, but who knows.

7. Fahmie25

Fahmie25 Disciple (341) Jan 2, 2008 New York
    Trader

I know this might be heresy in this thread, but trillium is prob my 2nd/3rd favorite IPA brewery next to treehouse/HF...so the opportunity to be able to get it here in NYC (even though it will likely resemble an OH IPA more than a trill IPA given where it's being brewed/water and yeast profiles etc) makes it somewhat more enticing for me, and actually makes me think about lining up rather than just going and hoping cans are available later on. that said, i'll most likely be at HF for the cigar city tap takeover, but if not I'll probably be at OH earlier than usual...plus the thought of a trillium beer in cans is awesome, even if its only half (or less) trillium.

NickBourne, jrnyc and Tbub18 like this.
  8. 2Xmd

2Xmd Devotee (407) Apr 19, 2013 New York

Sounds like this will be a shitshow. Hopefully they make enough for growler fills and it's not too overpriced. I'm always skeptical about collabs anyway. Why would one brewery give the other a great recipe and not just keep it for themselves?

HeyLady likes this.
  9. Kanger

Kanger Zealot (521) Sep 3, 2013 New York

I haven't heard anything. Probably won't know until next week.

Well it's not about a brewer giving a recipe to another brewer. It's about two brewers working on one recipe together. To see the results of two talented groups of people working together. Like when famous musicians work with each other to come up with a song.

10. SPRichard

SPRichard Devotee (416) Apr 26, 2008 New Jersey
    Trader

Hopefully it's not like the Lou Reed/Metallica collaboration

timnyc, RobNewton, 2Xmd and 1 other person like this.
  11. Kanger

Just mix up a can of the Metallica Budweiser with some sangria in the park...

tmbgnicu likes this.
  12. RobNewton

RobNewton Defender (631) Dec 30, 2014 New York
    Society Trader

Maybe we'll luck out and it will appear in both village voice AND time out new york!

13. aecliptic

aecliptic Initiate (0) Oct 10, 2015 New York

Damn, looks like Ill be missing this next release...

Gonna go to Barrier for the Morticia / Daddy Warbucks release. Ill keep an eye on the twitter page, maybe on the way back Ill stop buy if theres something left.

ONovoMexicano likes this.
  14. HopQuest

HopQuest Initiate (54) Feb 2, 2015 Connecticut
    Trader

I will be in lower Manhattan tomorrow (Friday, Oct 30th), we will be in the Battery Park area, is there anywhere worth checking for some Other Half or Grimm cans or do they distribute outside of the brewery?

Thanks for the input.

15. guinness77

guinness77 Meyvn (1,212) Jan 6, 2014 New York

No. I went to Good Beer yesterday and they were long out of Doug, which is the only can OH sold outside the brewery (besides Superfun). The Grimm cans are long gone too.

There really aren't many good shops that far down in Manhattan.

ONovoMexicano and Tbub18 like this.
  16. Kanger

LOL on their instagram...

"you gotta Change out that growler fill "system" why does counter pressure need to screw onto the growler? It doesn't screw onto your cans !?!?!"

RobNewton likes this.
  17. jrnyc

Trader

Still Doug cans at OH. Great beer, one of the best Black IPAs I have ever had. Style doesn't get the love as some others, but this stuff is fantastic.

18. guinness77

guinness77 Meyvn (1,212) Jan 6, 2014 New York

I was responding to the poster who says he'll be in the Battery Park area of Manhattan. I don't think they have an interest in going to Brooklyn.
    Wish I can go to OH, but I've bitched about that enough by now, lol

jrnyc likes this.
  19. GreaserGreg

GreaserGreg Initiate (40) Feb 27, 2015 New York
    Trader

What insta acct was this?

20. Kanger

- last comment.

GreaserGreg likes this.
  21. stevebrownsteve

stevebrownsteve Initiate (76) Mar 28, 2015 New Jersey

Yes! OH, please stop providing us all with near commercial quality fills that last for days in the fridge. I need that 5 dollar deposit for moar cans!!

#381 stevebrownsteve, Oct 29, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2015
    RobNewton likes this.
  22. Vizualize

Vizualize Initiate (120) Jun 13, 2014 New York

Eataly had what looked like over half a case of Doug earlier in the week. I would think it's still there.

23. Kanger

Collab with Dogfish Head and The Hill Side coming up!

[​IMG]

24. jrnyc

Trader

Anyone know where @rollom disappeared to? He has been a frequent contributor on this and other threads and hasn't been on site for about a month.

#384 jrnyc, Oct 29, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2015
    ONovoMexicano likes this.
  25. Kanger

Haven't seen him around OH in a long time. A few others as well.

26. ONovoMexicano

ONovoMexicano Poo-Bah (2,831) Jun 14, 2012 New Mexico

I had been wondering the same. Taking a break as far as I know.

27. dhaakon

dhaakon Devotee (441) May 30, 2005 New York
    Society

Enjoying my last Hop showers can from almost 2 months ago and I think I'm crazy because it tastes better than ever (even when I had it at the El Dorado release on Saturday).

stevebrownsteve likes this.
  28. SRBush1974

SRBush1974 Aspirant (283) Apr 18, 2015 New Jersey
    Trader

I was not at the Trillium/OH collab release at Trillium, but my sister-in-law was. She was able to get 6 bottles, but said it was insane! I can only imagine that this one at OH will be just as bad. Can't make it due to vacation, but get there early!

29. stevebrownsteve

Indeed. Other Half has expanded my mind into a realm where IPA's can, at times, almost be "too fresh". I like this problem.

RobNewton likes this.
  30. GreaserGreg

GreaserGreg Initiate (40) Feb 27, 2015 New York
    Trader

I was at Trillium for the OH Green Street bottle release. Took me about an hour to make it through the line. People who were saying it was insane, what am I missing?

31. stevebrownsteve

It looks like El Dorado is finished in the tap room (according to beermenus). Too bad, I hoping to grab one more taste there later. Anyone know anything about Other Half Hudson Valley IPA? That appears to be the replacement.

32. NickBourne

NickBourne Initiate (117) Jul 9, 2014 New York
    Trader

Was hoping for the same @stevebrownsteve I'm going to the taproom tomorrow so ill let you know.

33. Moopband

Moopband Initiate (0) Jul 20, 2010 New York

Going to guess it was due to the beer selling out extremely quickly even though it was like a noon release?

34. dhaakon

dhaakon Devotee (441) May 30, 2005 New York
    Society

Maybe it was due to last can effect but that was one of the best beers I've had and Hop Showers is like my 3rd favorite Other Half beer. Maybe it's time to reevaluate.

35. SRBush1974

SRBush1974 Aspirant (283) Apr 18, 2015 New Jersey
    Trader

This was a weekday release, around lunch time, correct? I think the shear amount of people at that time was what made it pretty insane. Not a shitshow, just crazy for the day/time. She was lucky to get the 6 bottle limit before they dropped it.

I think OH should keep limits really low, sort of like TH, to spread it out. And hoping they have more than one person taking cash/CC or it could take quite a bit. I am guessing 3-4x the amount of people could come out for this release.

Tbub18 likes this.
  36. M-Fox24

M-Fox24 Savant (964) Mar 17, 2013 New Jersey
    Trader

I'm hoping for a breakfast bar/food truck for this release

37. Abstractual

Abstractual Initiate (34) Mar 6, 2015 New York

Whole Foods Columbus Circle has El Dorado on tap.

stevebrownsteve likes this.
  38. Kanger

The OH/Threes release is tonight:

"Come hang with these four most interesting men in world @ThreesBrewing tonight for the release of our collaboration "Tres Equis" Mexican style lager brewed with Vienna malt, malted corn, palisade and select hops. 100% sure there will be shots."
    https://instagram.com/p/9d-IWrNard

39. Stevenwings

Stevenwings Initiate (95) Jan 15, 2014 Belgium
    Trader

Wonder how the beers on the barrels are going to be... Was there sadly to soon for a visit...

RobNewton likes this.
  40. Dirtyhands

Dirtyhands Defender (657) Jul 3, 2014 Maryland
    Trader

If you don't like their expressions, then look shife back.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.