Other Half Brewery Thread (Oct 2015)

Discussion in 'Mid-Atlantic' started by Kanger, Oct 1, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jrnyc

jrnyc Meyvn (1,112) Mar 21, 2010 New York
    Trader

2. RobNewton

RobNewton Defender (632) Dec 30, 2014 New York
    Society Trader

I think you made a mistake and meant to say Amarillo :wink:.

tmbgnicu and jrnyc like this.
  3. tmbgnicu

tmbgnicu Devotee (491) Mar 15, 2014 Pennsylvania
    Trader

You both made a mistake and meant to say Galaxy?

thenamestsam and RobNewton like this.
  4. MosaicDrops

MosaicDrops Initiate (159) Jun 4, 2014 New York
    Trader

This Saturday 10/10 starting at 10am we will be selling 16 oz Green Diamonds cans with a four 4 pack limit, $16 a 4 pack. We will also have 12 oz cans of Doug, our cascadian dark ale. 1 case per person $70 or $12 4-pk.

dangelop, Tbub18 and Kanger like this.
  5. pirate99gs

pirate99gs Initiate (72) Nov 9, 2014 Quebec (Canada)

Hell yeah! I'm a otherhalf can release virgin, if I was planning on arriving there around noon, I should be okay for GD cans?

6. jkane101

jkane101 Devotee (470) Sep 22, 2007 New Jersey

I quite enjoyed Doug on my last visit.

7. Tbub18

Tbub18 Disciple (395) Oct 31, 2014 New York
    Trader

I would think so. GD has been released more times than I can count at this point. By noon the rush should have died down and you should be able to walk right in and get your cans

8. Invinciblejets

Invinciblejets Devotee (468) Sep 29, 2014 South Carolina
    Trader

mmm may definitely stop there after I fly in.. are those the only cans they are selling that day?

9. timnyc

timnyc Initiate (71) Dec 28, 2013 New York

Happy to see Doug is $3/can. This price will make me get more than I would otherwise. And I bet it holds up a bit longer than the singles.

10. GreaserGreg

GreaserGreg Initiate (40) Feb 27, 2015 New York
    Trader

$3 but will be sold in 12 oz cans.

If my mental math is right, it is 25 cents an oz, assuming if they canned it in 16 oz cans it would be $4 per.

RobNewton likes this.
  11. timnyc

And this has me psyched for more dark beers in cans. In Absentia Luci would be amazing.

12. timnyc

12oz can... Well that's different.

13. Kanger

Kanger Zealot (521) Sep 3, 2013 New York

Yes.

Invinciblejets likes this.
  14. Zonk

Zonk Disciple (368) Dec 2, 2014 New Jersey
    Trader

Last time Green Diamonds lasted through the weekend and there were a few cases left the next Wednesday. Might be different when the 2nd can is a dark ale instead of AGE though.

15. taestee

taestee Initiate (132) Dec 12, 2012 New York

I'm generally not too keen on black IPAs, but I remember Doug being pretty tasty. I remember it being more stout/porter-like than other black IPAs.

Tbub18 likes this.
  16. Kanger

I find the roastiness to be more forward on the recent batch. A little less hop forward aroma.

17. SRBush1974

SRBush1974 Aspirant (283) Apr 18, 2015 New Jersey
    Trader

Cracked my first AGE from the 8/28 batch last night. Think waiting 5 weeks was perfect! Man was it smooth and delicious!

18. ttp86

ttp86 Aspirant (277) Apr 1, 2015 Missouri
    Trader

19. tmbgnicu

tmbgnicu Devotee (491) Mar 15, 2014 Pennsylvania
    Trader

I would think so. I got one in August, haven't gotten there since, but that is basically their signature glass. I'm sure someone local can help... For those too lazy, it's the 10oz snifter with the OH logo on it.

ttp86 likes this.
  20. Kanger

Yeah I believe the standard OH tulips are still available along with Green Diamond glasses. I can find out tomorrow.

Jlabs and ttp86 like this.
  21. Kanger

Everyone pour one out for Ghost Face Kitty. He is with us no more. :slight_frown:

dar482, RobNewton and jrnyc like this.
  22. Phreeballing

Phreeballing Initiate (166) Sep 19, 2015 New York
    Trader

If I showed up at 10am what do you think the wait times would be? I have never been before. Is it better to just go at noon? Will they sell out? Any help would be appreciated

23. Tbub18

Trader

Just scroll up, same question was answered

24. Phreeballing

Trader

Do they do growler fills at can releases?

25. neckbeardahab

neckbeardahab Initiate (0) Mar 26, 2015 New York

26. BoardwalkBock

BoardwalkBock Zealot (547) Aug 18, 2012 New York

Yes but expect to wait.

27. Phreeballing

Trader

nice, really interested in grabbing a all green everything growler

28. Tbub18

Trader

Here's a bunch more info (Courtesy of @Kanger). Enjoy your first visit:

Other Half Brewery - http://www.otherhalfbrewing.com/

Address: 195 Centre St Brooklyn, NY 11231

Tap Room Hours: Wednesday through Friday: 5 pm to 10 pm, Saturday: 12 pm to 10 pm, Sunday: 12 pm to 6 pm

Closest Subway Station: Smith-9th St (F and G Train)

Directions From Subway: Walk West on W.9th Street to the intersection, Make a Left on Smith St, walk two blocks and make a right on Centre St, Tap Room is halfway down the block across from the McDonalds. (Approx. 2 min walk)

Parking: Street parking is available near the brewery, but it can be difficult to find an open spot. Parking a few blocks away is suggested. Please don't park at McDonalds.

Current Tap List: Checking Untappd is the best way to find out what is currently available. Pours are available in 4oz/8oz/12oz/16oz depending on the beer. Tasting flights are not available.

Growler Fills: Other Half uses a Counter Pressure fill system. This requires that all 32oz and 64oz growlers have a 1.125” standard threaded opening.
    [​IMG]
    Other Half branded growlers require a $5 deposit. Growlers from other breweries are welcome, but must follow those measurement guidelines. Not all beers are available for growler fills, please check the tap room menu board for details.

Can and Bottles Sales: Cans and Bottles are for sale in the tap room when they are available. Releases are announced via Other Half’s Instagram/Twitter/Facebook. Can releases occur every 2 to 3 weeks. Bottle releases are more sporadic. Cans and Bottles cannot be consumed on the premises.

Other Half Gear: OH branded growlers, glasses, and t-shirts are available in the tap room.

Credit Cards: $10 Minimum. No Amex.

Outside Beer:
    Do not open bottles or cans in the Tap Room unless you have permission from the Other Half crew. Do not drink while waiting outside on line for releases. The sidewalk is NYC property and you can get a open container ticket.

Kids and Dogs: Yes both are permitted. In the case of dogs, be aware there are brewery cats that hang around.

Local Eats: McDonalds, Buttermilk Channel, Prime Meats, Frankie’s Spuntino, Court Street Grocer, plus many other places along Court St. Outside food is allowed in the Tap Room, just be aware there is not much room to eat.

Local Bars within a ~20min walk: MiniBar, The Owl Farm, Mission Dolores, Threes Brewing, Bar Great Harry, 4th Ave Pub, Pacific Standard, Supercollider, Park Slope Ale House, Lavender Lake.

Local Bottle Shops: First Place Provisions, Whole Foods Brooklyn.

29. Phreeballing

Trader

too bad there is no way of knowing which beers of their tap list arent available for growler fills in advance

30. Hirshi

Hirshi Aspirant (246) May 1, 2012 New York

if AGE is still up (should be) they're only doing 32oz fills for $20. Everything else from last weeks board is still in place most likely, only things that werent filling were In Absentia Luci and Green is for Gs (low stock).

31. SRBush1974

SRBush1974 Aspirant (283) Apr 18, 2015 New Jersey
    Trader

RobNewton, jrnyc and 2Xmd like this.
  32. berto714

berto714 Aspirant (280) Oct 16, 2014 New York

That's really the price for a 32oz growler of AGE? :grimacing: Much better off waiting for cans in that case, 4-pack for $20 is double the amount of beer. That's a puzzling price point.

BoardwalkBock likes this.
  33. BoardwalkBock

BoardwalkBock Zealot (547) Aug 18, 2012 New York

I agree. I never understood that. Especially since its additional costs for the cans and the hours put in by employees to fill and label every can.
    That equals out to a $10 pour for a pint, which is way high.

34. RobNewton

Society Trader

Their growler prices always seem off. While the difference isn't as extreme, their growler prices for single hops are $24 per 64 oz growler vs $15-16 per 64 oz of cans (4).

It's possible though that what they charge for growlers is what they need to charge to make money on such heavily hopped beers. There might not be much margin on the cans (lessened after paying the canner).

Given the lines and sell outs, it could be argued they should charge just a bit more.

35. jrnyc

Trader

You know what, drinking one right now, Amarillo is awesome. Neck and neck with Mosaic, with a slight edge to Mosaic.

36. RobNewton

Society Trader

I liked this as I was reading it until I got to that bit at the end about an imaginary Mosaic edge.

While this shouldn't directly affect the taste, Amarillo left me wondering why we don't see more single hop amarillo. There's plenty of citra, mosaic, and nelson out there.

tmbgnicu likes this.
  37. jrnyc

Trader

Ha ha! This is like debating over which Victoria's Secret model is more attractive :slight_smile: !

RobNewton likes this.
  38. Kanger

As of today: OH Snifter, OH Pint, Hop Showers and AGE Chalice.

ttp86 likes this.
  39. Kanger

SRBush1974 and jrnyc like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.