Other Half Brewing March 2017

Discussion in 'Mid-Atlantic' started by RobNewton, Mar 1, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RobNewton

RobNewton Disciple (335) Dec 30, 2014 New York
    Beer Trader

Other Half Brewery -http://www.otherhalfbrewing.com/,https://instagram.com/otherhalftaproom/

Address: 195 Centre St Brooklyn, NY 11231

Tap Room Hours: Tuesday through Friday: 5 pm to 10 pm, Saturday: 12 pm to 10 pm, Sunday: 12 pm to 6 pm

Closest Subway Station: Smith-9th St (F and G Train)

Directions From Subway: Walk West on W.9th Street to the intersection, Make a Left on Smith St, walk two blocks and make a right on Centre St, Tap Room is halfway down the block across from the McDonalds. (Approx. 2 min walk)

Parking: Street parking is available near the brewery, but it can be difficult to find an open spot. Parking a few blocks away is suggested. Please don't park at McDonalds. Parking can frequently be found across Court Street on the other side of the expressway.

UPDATE: A Citi Bike station was recently installed at Smith/9th, woo!

Current Tap List: Checking Untappd is the best way to find out what is currently available. Pours are available in 4oz/8oz/12oz/16oz depending on the beer. Tasting flights are not available.

Growler Fills: Other Half uses a Counter Pressure fill system. This requires that all 32oz and 64oz growlers have a 1.125” standard threaded opening.
    [​IMG]
    Other Half branded growlers require a $5 deposit. Growlers from other breweries are welcome, but must follow those measurement guidelines. Not all beers are available for growler fills, please check the tap room menu board for details.

Can and Bottles Sales: Cans and Bottles are for sale in the tap room when they are available. Releases are announced via Other Half’s Instagram/Twitter/Facebook. Can releases occur every weekend. Check Instagram for updates. Cans and Bottles cannot be consumed on the premises.

Other Half Gear: OH branded growlers, hats, glasses, and t-shirts are available in the tap room.

Credit Cards: $10 Minimum. No Amex.

Outside Beer:
    Do not open bottles or cans in the Tap Room unless you have permission from the Other Half crew. Do not drink while waiting outside on line for releases. The sidewalk is NYC property and you can get a open container ticket.

Kids and Dogs: Yes both are permitted. In the case of dogs, be aware there are brewery cats that hang around.

Local Eats: McDonalds, Pizza Moto, Buttermilk Channel, Prime Meats, Frankie’s Spuntino,Court Street Grocer, plus many other places along Court St. Outside food is allowed in the Tap Room, just be aware there is not much room to eat.

Local Bars within a ~20min walk:MiniBar, The Owl Farm, Mission Dolores, Threes Brewing, Bar Great Harry, 4th Ave Pub,Pacific Standard, Supercollider, Park Slope Ale House,Lavender Lake.

Local Bottle Shops:First Place Provisions, Whole Foods Brooklyn.

Thanks @Kanger for putting much (if not all) of this list together.

Brian_Lynch likes this.
  2. RobNewton

RobNewton Disciple (335) Dec 30, 2014 New York
    Beer Trader

March 4th release of Green Diamonds, DDH Forever Simcoe, and DDH Double Mosaic Dream

3. LCC

LCC Initiate (155) Mar 2, 2012 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

I know this probably gets asked every single week, so let me get this out of the way early -- guesses from veterans on how early one needs to show up to grab DDH DMD and DDH FS? i found some estimates from last release or two, but i'd guess DDH DMD might encourage more people to come out, no?
    Thanks!

4. HeyLady

HeyLady Disciple (345) Sep 17, 2015 New York
    Beer Trader

hmm, not sure it will encourage more people than usual. Its the 3rd time its being released normally new beers bring out bigger crowds. I would say to 100% absolutely gurantee it be there by 9-930. Most likely you will not have to show up that early but to assure you get it that's a good time to shoot for.

Brian_Lynch and LCC like this.
  5. LCC

LCC Initiate (155) Mar 2, 2012 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

Thanks, man!

6. Ron_33

Ron_33 Initiate (112) Aug 31, 2016 New York

I know they had some left over cans of Throw some mo yesterday.... how's it looking for today ?

7. DrederickTatum

DrederickTatum Initiate (195) Dec 13, 2016 New Jersey
    Beer Trader

How's the parking situation? It says street parking but are they metered, free?

8. ecpho

ecpho Initiate (169) Mar 28, 2011 New York

these monthly threads turn out to be quite repetitive.
    is it ok if I pee on the street?

9. DrederickTatum

DrederickTatum Initiate (195) Dec 13, 2016 New Jersey
    Beer Trader

Kinda new around here. Sorry if the question's already been answered in a past thread. Thanks anyway.

taestee and jrnyc like this.
  10. kegahead

kegahead Initiate (153) Apr 9, 2008 New York

Almost as repetitive as people posting their disdain for hazy, NE-style IPA's at nearly every opportunity.

elproducer, 2Xmd, Dutchlax26 and 4 others like this.
  11. llerrafnad

llerrafnad Aspirant (219) Apr 14, 2016 New York
    Beer Trader

Both, but plenty of free parking in the area.

DrederickTatum and RobNewton like this.
  12. lm858

lm858 Initiate (175) Aug 1, 2014 New Jersey
    Beer Trader

Parking is free from my experience, but usually few blocks away.

13. DrStiffington

DrStiffington Meyvn (1,083) Oct 27, 2010 New Jersey
    Beer Trader

They're not metered. You just have to find a spot.

DrederickTatum likes this.
  14. ecpho

ecpho Initiate (169) Mar 28, 2011 New York

You're right - I'll go and disparage some turbid OJ haze right now.

15. xmattxyzx

xmattxyzx Initiate (137) Nov 22, 2016 New York
    Beer Trader

I noticed they are updating beermenus regularly - nice!

Born_A_Jee and RobNewton like this.
  16. HeyLady

HeyLady Disciple (345) Sep 17, 2015 New York
    Beer Trader

I was at Other Half today grabbing growlers and pretty sure overheard an employee say OH is opening a production facility in addition to the current brewery expansion. I could be completely wrong and they might have been talking about another brewery, but does anyone know anything about this?

17. llerrafnad

Beer Trader

I don't know if you listen to already but Andrew was on the Steal This Beer podcast talking about future plans and I believe he mentioned the production facility. I could be wrong (kinda groggy right now) but I think he said they needed more space to store barrels and whatnot.

HeyLady likes this.
  18. tun

tun Aspirant (248) Jun 8, 2012 New York
    Beer Trader

Just wanted to point out that Other Half does accept Amex credit cards. Should fix that in the original post.

19. dcgunman

dcgunman Defender (643) Jul 1, 2009 California
    Beer Trader

It's been a long time since I've posted here. It looks like the can sales on Saturdays has slowed down a bit? I noticed OH's FB & IG pages have been posting what cans are leftover the following day > Sundays. Is this the case? Or are they just making more these days. I'm asking because I am thinking of flying out for some more cans. Is there still a huge line....3+ hour wait on Saturdays? Or can I take a chance on Sunday for cans these days? Would like to bring back some Green Diamonds. Its been a while I had GD. Thanks in advance.

20. llerrafnad

Beer Trader

Green Diamonds will probably be around on Sunday.

dcgunman likes this.
  21. Kanger

Kanger Zealot (572) Sep 3, 2013 New York
    Beer Trader

We do currently have a separate warehouse to store all our barrels. That might become a new production facility. Nothing concrete just yet.

frozyn, FonyBones, tynian16 and 5 others like this.
  22. Brian_Lynch

Brian_Lynch Initiate (164) Nov 18, 2014 New York
    Beer Trader

Man, those OH guys are zenning out over in Japan ...Making sake looks serene.

23. llerrafnad

Beer Trader

DDH Sake?

WheelsPSU and Brian_Lynch like this.
  24. SeanRaymond

SeanRaymond Initiate (106) Mar 3, 2017 New Jersey

Does anyone know if there are still cans of Throw Some Mo kicking around? (And Forever Ever too for that matter?)

25. BoardwalkBock

BoardwalkBock Devotee (469) Aug 18, 2012 New York
    Beer Trader

Gonna be bitterly cold tomorrow am for anyone lining up.

prettygood likes this.
  26. crowlcrowlcrowl

crowlcrowlcrowl Aspirant (258) Jun 13, 2014 New York
    Beer Trader

Dream In Green is real nice. Big time juice and I love the ABV. Would buy a lot of this if it ends up in cans.

RobNewton, JaredSammy and Brian_Lynch like this.
  27. pirate99gs

pirate99gs Initiate (146) Nov 9, 2014 Quebec (Canada)
    Beer Trader

can someone confirm that nummy nug nug is still on tap?

28. SenatorSpaceman

SenatorSpaceman Disciple (363) May 24, 2014 Connecticut
    Beer Trader

Plenty of free parking is always available within a few blocks of the brewery.

29. phishbeer

phishbeer Initiate (121) Jan 2, 2017 New York

Havent heard much about this. It is on tap at OH?

Brian_Lynch likes this.
  30. crowlcrowlcrowl

crowlcrowlcrowl Aspirant (258) Jun 13, 2014 New York
    Beer Trader

Yup. Also at Milk and Hops Chelsea.

phishbeer likes this.
  31. bdogdm3

bdogdm3 Initiate (137) Dec 30, 2016 New York
    Beer Trader

Would you guys call me crazy if I said DDH Broccoli reminds me of Grimm Light Year with that grapefruit bomb. It's delicious.

32. phishbeer

23 degrees "feels like" 12 right now. Dont think I have it in me this week

prettygood likes this.
  33. kthoag

kthoag Aspirant (281) May 21, 2012 New Jersey
    Beer Trader

Any line updates? I'm shooting for a pre-11 ETA and looking to scoop up some Mosaic

34. Jtbel1988

Jtbel1988 Aspirant (298) Dec 7, 2014 New York
    Subscriber Beer Trader

Minimum line. Not on smith at 8:45.

RobNewton and taestee like this.
  35. Fancy

Fancy Initiate (145) Mar 17, 2016 New York
    Beer Trader

Line size?

36. Fltingrabbit

Fltingrabbit Initiate (117) Dec 27, 2015 France
    Beer Trader

Almost no line

37. NewmansOwn

NewmansOwn Aspirant (242) Jun 25, 2016 New York

Anyone know what's next week?

38. kthoag

kthoag Aspirant (281) May 21, 2012 New Jersey
    Beer Trader

No line and lots of beer left including throw some mo. More for me

xmattxyzx and DrStiffington like this.
  39. FonyBones

FonyBones Aspirant (219) Dec 19, 2015 New York
    Subscriber

Out of mosaic. Still have green diamonds and lots of simcoe.

40. phishbeer

Seconded. Inquiring minds!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Founded in Boston in 1996, BeerAdvocate (BA) is your go-to resource for beer powered by an independent community of enthusiasts and professionals dedicated to supporting and promoting better beer.

Learn More
  • Our Community

Comprised of consumers and industry professionals, many of whom started as members of this site, our community is one of the oldest, largest, and most respected beer communities online.
  • Our Events

Since 2003 we've hosted over 60 world-class beer festivals to bring awareness to independent brewers and educate attendees.
  • Our Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.