Other Half Brewing May 2017

Discussion in 'Mid-Atlantic' started by RobNewton, May 1, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RobNewton

RobNewton Disciple (329) Dec 30, 2014 New York
    Beer Trader

Other Half Brewery -http://www.otherhalfbrewing.com/,https://instagram.com/otherhalftaproom/

Address: 195 Centre St Brooklyn, NY 11231

Tap Room Hours: Tuesday through Friday: 5 pm to 10 pm, Saturday: 12 pm to 10 pm, Sunday: 12 pm to 6 pm

Closest Subway Station: Smith-9th St (F and G Train)

Directions From Subway: Walk West on W.9th Street to the intersection, Make a Left on Smith St, walk two blocks and make a right on Centre St, Tap Room is halfway down the block across from the McDonalds. (Approx. 2 min walk)

Parking: Street parking is available near the brewery, but it can be difficult to find an open spot. Parking a few blocks away is suggested. Please don't park at McDonalds. Parking can frequently be found across Court Street on the other side of the expressway.

UPDATE: A Citi Bike station was recently installed at Smith/9th, woo!

Current Tap List: Checking Untappd is the best way to find out what is currently available. Pours are available in 4oz/8oz/12oz/16oz depending on the beer. Tasting flights are not available.

Growler Fills: Other Half uses a Counter Pressure fill system. This requires that all 32oz and 64oz growlers have a 1.125” standard threaded opening.
    [​IMG]
    Other Half branded growlers require a $5 deposit. Growlers from other breweries are welcome, but must follow those measurement guidelines. Not all beers are available for growler fills, please check the tap room menu board for details.

Can and Bottles Sales: Cans and Bottles are for sale in the tap room when they are available. Releases are announced via Other Half’s Instagram/Twitter/Facebook. Can releases occur every weekend. Check Instagram for updates. Cans and Bottles cannot be consumed on the premises.

Other Half Gear: OH branded growlers, hats, glasses, and t-shirts are available in the tap room.

Credit Cards: $10 Minimum.

Outside Beer:
    Do not open bottles or cans in the Tap Room unless you have permission from the Other Half crew. Do not drink while waiting outside on line for releases. The sidewalk is NYC property and you can get a open container ticket.

Kids and Dogs: Yes both are permitted. In the case of dogs, be aware there are brewery cats that hang around.

Local Eats: McDonalds, Pizza Moto, Buttermilk Channel, Prime Meats, Frankie’s Spuntino,Court Street Grocer, plus many other places along Court St. Outside food is allowed in the Tap Room, just be aware there is not much room to eat.

Local Bars within a ~20min walk:MiniBar, The Owl Farm, Mission Dolores, Threes Brewing, Bar Great Harry, 4th Ave Pub,Pacific Standard, Supercollider, Park Slope Ale House,Lavender Lake.

Local Bottle Shops:First Place Provisions, Whole Foods Brooklyn.

Thanks @Kanger for putting much (if not all) of this list together.

NiceBeerCans and Brian_Lynch like this.
  2. SudsDoctor

SudsDoctor Aspirant (214) Nov 23, 2008 New York

I've yet to have a single one of OH's beers, but lurk on the monthly thread almost daily...mostly for entertainment value (but also partly out of envy :wink:). So, considering the...uh...passion surrounding OH, I was stunned and amazed that it took until the middle of this afternoon for the May thread to get posted. Surprised the OH community hasn't rioted already. :grimacing:

jrnyc, FonyBones, frozyn and 2 others like this.
  3. SudsDoctor

SudsDoctor Aspirant (214) Nov 23, 2008 New York

(Crickets...:grimacing::grimacing::grimacing::grimacing::grimacing::grimacing:!)
    Two days into the month and just three days after a release and not a single post from a regular about how DDH (fill in the blank) is tasting? Am I in the Twilight Zone? Truly unprecedented. :wink:

AOTP likes this.
  4. Kanger

Kanger Zealot (564) Sep 3, 2013 New York
    Beer Trader

Ok I'l post something. I have the day off from the brewery so drinking DDH cabbage in my new outdoor lounge chair.

[​IMG]

:slight_smile:

5. kthoag

kthoag Disciple (302) May 21, 2012 New Jersey
    Beer Trader

City Slickers is tasting great :slight_smile:

6. llerrafnad

llerrafnad Aspirant (213) Apr 14, 2016 New York
    Beer Trader

Had Dream In Green, Imaginary Greenscapes and City Slickers over the weekend.

Beer

b-mc-g likes this.
  7. Vizualize

Vizualize Initiate (166) Jun 13, 2014 New York

Maybe all the OH regulars are finally sick of lining up for blocks with professional line sitters and people who've read the latest press junket about how "ZOMG HOP BOMB" the beers are. Last time I was at OH I was surrounded by people holding spaces and people who didn't even know what they were lining up for. Very bizarre. The peoples brewery has become the brewery of the traders and one percenters.

8. mumbles44

mumbles44 Initiate (172) Jan 22, 2016 New Jersey
    Beer Trader

tell em' why your mad

RobNewton likes this.
  9. AOTP

AOTP Initiate (116) Aug 14, 2014 New York
    Beer Trader

The people's brewery? With $20 4 packs? What? Perhaps you're referring to Alchemist.

And what does "knowing what you're lining up for" have to do with anything?

VonZipper likes this.
  10. zeuiax

zeuiax Aspirant (242) May 1, 2016 New Jersey
    Beer Trader

Well, last time I checked Alchemist was middle of boondocks/Stowe. What qualifies as People's brewery? $12.50/4pk?

11. HeyLady

HeyLady Disciple (336) Sep 17, 2015 New York
    Beer Trader

I mean...it is kind of odd that people will wait HOURS in line for a mystery item

SeanEDPBK, DrStiffington and rozzom like this.
  12. zeuiax

Beer Trader

So you have never stood in line for a beer your never tried before?

13. masterplanman

masterplanman Initiate (143) Sep 12, 2016 New York
    Beer Trader

I see the same people in line every weekend and they all know exactly what they are in line for, not sure what people you were talking to

14. rozzom

rozzom Zealot (590) Jan 22, 2011 New York
    Beer Trader

I'm guessing he/she means that the people in question had no idea what they were lining up for (other than the fact it was beer from a popular brewery), not that they knew what it was but hadn't tried it

zeuiax, HeyLady and DrStiffington like this.
  15. 2Xmd

2Xmd Devotee (464) Apr 19, 2013 New York

Don't forget re-sellers. Seen a couple bottle shops around me in LI selling OH cans for $8-11 per can.

yossle and rozzom like this.
  16. DrStiffington

DrStiffington Meyvn (1,083) Oct 27, 2010 New Jersey
    Beer Trader

I have not

17. DrStiffington

Beer Trader

Bottom line is that this past year until recently , the lines were generally dying down enough most weeks for people like me to cruise in around noon and buy stuff without having to wait in line. All of a sudden the hype train is back on and the beer is selling out quicker again.

avas, pdy90727, Moradin and 2 others like this.
  18. kthoag

kthoag Disciple (302) May 21, 2012 New Jersey
    Beer Trader

By and large I agree with that, and as such I haven't hit a non-double batch release in a while

SeanEDPBK and DrStiffington like this.
  19. Jtbel1988

Jtbel1988 Aspirant (295) Dec 7, 2014 New York
    Subscriber Beer Trader

20. Smokesnotes

Smokesnotes Aspirant (238) Apr 26, 2014 Michigan
    Beer Trader

What's the realistic time to get in line if you wanted to get these on Sat.?

21. crowlcrowlcrowl

crowlcrowlcrowl Aspirant (256) Jun 13, 2014 New York
    Beer Trader

Really enjoyed the kegged version of Ain't Nothing Nice a few months ago. Stoked to have that in cans.

22. SeanEDPBK

SeanEDPBK Initiate (161) Jun 8, 2016 New York
    Beer Trader

No lactose or oats? I'm sitting this one out. :wink:

VonZipper and Vizualize like this.
  23. zeuiax

Beer Trader

Call it hype train, warmer weather, being named 10th, new beer every week, collabs, lactose, lupulin, DDH, TDH....good luck getting full allotments at 12 until it starts to snow again. Not that I love to stand in line....but as we all know its the reality these days

#23 zeuiax, May 2, 2017
    Last edited: May 2, 2017
    VonZipper and Daveshek28 like this.
  24. pmlondrigan

pmlondrigan Defender (634) Feb 4, 2010 New York
    Beer Trader

Couple weeks back at the all city everything/daydream/chedder broc 4 can release I got in line at 9 and got everything.

VonZipper and Smokesnotes like this.
  25. GothamJasper

GothamJasper Initiate (137) Mar 17, 2017 New York
    Beer Trader

I was in line around 9:30 and that's when Cheddar Broc / Dream in Green started to sell out (I literally got the last 4 pack of Dream in Green). Same goes for this past weekend's 4 can release, I was in line at 9:30ish and that was the cutoff point for when Cabbage and Double Mosaic Daydream started to sell out.

Smokesnotes likes this.
  26. bowery

bowery Initiate (36) Jul 3, 2014 Virginia
    Beer Trader

What I think happened is the quality/creativity of OH beers went up in the last few months and all the local competition has kinda been stagnant

RobNewton likes this.
  27. Henryb22

Henryb22 Initiate (169) Jun 18, 2014 South Carolina
    Beer Trader

Interesting that with a min of 2 can release every saturday that it still sells out. Guess NYC has a lot of people and people come in from surrounding areas but still. They should lower their limits. Limits should max be 3 4/packs a person per beer and probably less if it is a 4 can release. If you were a local not a big deal if you only get 4-6 4 packs when you can go next week. High limits just incentivize trading and mules imo.

28. DrStiffington

Beer Trader

The reality for me is that I just drink something else now (Kane, Carton, etc.) Plus I never buy full allotments. That's part of the problem too. Even if you really love OH beer you can't possibly drink 4 cases each week. No reason to buy that much (with the few exceptions of people buying for friends). But it is what it is. I also can't easily get Bissell Bros anymore when I'm up in Maine either.

29. DrStiffington

Beer Trader

That's not true at all. Just in Brooklyn, Threes, Interboro and Greenpoint have all been releasing solid beer this year.

#29 DrStiffington, May 2, 2017
    Last edited: May 2, 2017
  30. ecpho

ecpho Initiate (162) Mar 28, 2011 New York

He couldn't have been serious.

31. RobNewton

RobNewton Disciple (329) Dec 30, 2014 New York
    Beer Trader

I think it's fair to say OH has been better and more consistent than those others, though they do put out great beer.

32. M-Fox24

M-Fox24 Crusader (704) Mar 17, 2013 New Jersey
    Subscriber Beer Trader

It’s gotta be the Broccoli tekus that caused this madness/level of awareness. Nonetheless, the last batch of DDH Mylar was a double and lasted quite awhile

33. DrStiffington

Beer Trader

Agreed, though logically one might argue that with more great canned beer available nearby, people would be buying LESS OH beer each week, not more. But that doesn't seem to be the case. Just seems to prove the point that they ain't drinking all this beer each week.

Brian_Lynch likes this.
  34. elproducer

elproducer Initiate (16) Apr 19, 2016 California

Not with that attitude.

elvisdoc, b-mc-g, VonZipper and 21 others like this.
  35. rozzom

Beer Trader

From a personal standpoint, I totally agree. And I've mentioned the above before, almost verbatim.

But when I've done that people have also pointed out that why wouldn't OH do whatever is needed to sell through the inventory as quickly as possible. I agree with that too.

It's an irritating reality for most of us, who most want to turn up and buy a few 4-packs hassle free. But if I was the brewery I would want everything sold in a few hours rather than managing the process for several days (we all see the desperate Instagram posts when something doesn't sell out)

36. zeuiax

Beer Trader

I meant all variety not cases of each. I must been to OH 10-15 times by now, never ever bought a case of anything (except for Like Woah) and half of those times driving around 11ish. I sure love to drive to OH and grab beer every other week like at Trillium. But in reality we all know its just not going to happen anytime soon...

DrStiffington likes this.
  37. llerrafnad

llerrafnad Aspirant (213) Apr 14, 2016 New York
    Beer Trader

Last time I lined up was the DDH Broccoli release, but now I only really go if it's a double batch and it's available on Sunday (Throw Some Mo', Imaginary Greenscapes and City Slickers most recently). Next release I'll try to make it to is on the 20th.

38. Henryb22

Henryb22 Initiate (169) Jun 18, 2014 South Carolina
    Beer Trader

I disagree. I dont think lowering limits would have the beers lasting many days and if thats the case they can always up the limits but initially they should be lower.

yossle likes this.
  39. rozzom

Beer Trader

If your argument is that the currently high limits draw resellers / traders who otherwise wouldn't be interested, then by lowering limits surely you'd agree that the % you lower limits wouldn't be directly proportional to the time it takes to sell out. No that probably wouldn't be several days. But even just a day or two would be a pain. As would upping the limits later on. Plus wouldn't that piss people off? They get there early, buy 3 x 4 packs, then see on Instagram a few hours later that the limit is now a case.

Like I said - I totally would like limits to be dropped for the same reasons you stated. I just understand why that doesn't happen.

We've all been led to believe that along with revealing the meaning of life, that the expanded facility will deal with all of this. Fingers crossed.

40. GothamJasper

GothamJasper Initiate (137) Mar 17, 2017 New York
    Beer Trader

Off-Topic, the OH Instagram comments section just got creepy :grimacing:

Daveshek28 and elproducer like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Founded in Boston in 1996, BeerAdvocate (BA) is your go-to resource for beer powered by an independent community of enthusiasts and professionals dedicated to supporting and promoting better beer.

Learn More
  • Our Community

Comprised of consumers and industry professionals, many of whom started as members of this site, our community is one of the oldest, largest, and most respected beer communities online.
  • Our Events

Since 2003 we've hosted over 60 world-class beer festivals to bring awareness to independent brewers and educate attendees.
  • Our Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.