Other Half Brewing Thread (August 2015)

Discussion in 'Mid-Atlantic' started by jrnyc, Aug 1, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jrnyc

jrnyc Savant (924) Mar 21, 2010 New York
    Beer Trader

Other Half Brewery - http://www.otherhalfbrewing.com/

Address: 195 Centre St Brooklyn, NY 11231

Tap Room Hours: Wednesday through Friday: 5 pm to 10 pm, Saturday: 12 pm to 10 pm, Sunday: 12 pm to 6 pm

Closest Subway Station: Smith-9th St (F and G Train)

Directions From Subway: Walk West on W.9th Street to the intersection, Make a Left on Smith St, walk two blocks and make a right on Centre St, Tap Room is halfway down the block across from the McDonalds. (Approx. 2 min walk)

Parking: Street parking is available near the brewery, but it can be difficult to find an open spot. Parking a few blocks away is suggested.

Current Tap List: Checking Untappd is the best way to find out what is currently available. Pours are available in 4oz/8oz/12oz/16oz depending on the beer. Tasting flights are not available.

Growler Fills: Other Half uses a Counter Pressure fill system. This requires that all 32oz and 64oz growlers have a 1.125” standard threaded opening.

Other Half branded growlers require a $5 deposit. Growlers from other breweries are welcome, but must follow those measurement guidelines. Not all beers are available for growler fills, please check the tap room menu board for details.

Can and Bottles Sales: Cans and Bottles are for sale in the tap room when they are available. Releases are announced via Other Half’s Instagram/Twitter/Facebook. Can releases occur every 2 to 3 weeks. Bottle releases are more sporadic. Cans and Bottles cannot be consumed on the premises.

Other Half Gear: OH branded growlers, glasses, and t-shirts are available in the tap room.

Credit Cards: $10 Minimum. No Amex.

Outside Beer:
    Do not open bottles or cans in the Tap Room unless you have permission from the Other Half crew. Do not drink while waiting outside on line for releases. The sidewalk is NYC property and you can get a open container ticket.

Local Eats: McDonalds, Buttermilk Channel, Prime Meats, Frankie’s Spuntino, Court Street Grocer, plus many other places along Court St. Outside food is allowed in the Tap Room, just be aware there is not much room to eat.

Local Bars within a ~20min walk: MiniBar, The Owl Farm, Mission Dolores, Threes Brewing, Bar Great Harry, 4th Ave Pub, Pacific Standard, Supercollider, Park Slope Ale House, Lavender Lake.

Local Bottle Shops: First Place Provisions, Whole Foods Brooklyn.

Greywulfken and ONovoMexicano like this.
  2. jrnyc

Beer Trader

Kanger is in the woods somewhere, so will step in for him and create this thread. Awesome work Erik for the intro post!

Have at it everyone.

3. CraftE

CraftE Initiate (0) Feb 11, 2015 California
    Beer Trader

Hi I'll be there on Saturday! Fuck yes can't wait to drink the goods that Other Half has been putting out!

4. iamjo

iamjo Initiate (161) May 27, 2014 New York
    Beer Trader

Can you bring a dog? I don't remember.

5. SasquatchB2

SasquatchB2 Initiate (169) Jan 12, 2015 Minnesota
    Beer Trader

I have brought my dog on a Wednesday when the taproom was pretty empty, but I would imagine bringing a dog when it's slammed would not be ideal for you or for OH.

Hirshi and jrnyc like this.
  6. jrnyc

Beer Trader

Pet policy needs to be added to next month's informational first post Erik :slight_smile:!

Not sure of official policy, but have seen dogs in there from time to time and of course the stray, local brewery cats are always welcomed :slight_smile:!

7. Kanger

Kanger Zealot (574) Sep 3, 2013 New York
    Beer Trader

Dogs are welcome anytime. But the brewery cats rule the place...

redworld, tobelerone and jrnyc like this.
  8. jrnyc

Beer Trader

Waiting for them to name a beer after one of the brewery cats :slight_smile:!

Kanger likes this.
  9. joeyfeets

joeyfeets Aspirant (224) Aug 14, 2014 New York
    Beer Trader

Kimchi Grill by the subway stop (478 Smith St) was pretty good & on the way. I'm trying to find a link to the whole foods messenger bag but failing. Will count the exact number of stairs at the 9th street stop next time lol.

jrnyc likes this.
  10. Tbub18

Tbub18 Devotee (449) Oct 31, 2014 New York
    Beer Trader

Per Wikipedia:
    With an elevation of 87.5 feet (26.7 m), this station is the highest subway station above ground level in the world.

Kanger, jrnyc and joeyfeets like this.
  11. joeyfeets

joeyfeets Aspirant (224) Aug 14, 2014 New York
    Beer Trader

The Everest of subway stations if you will. I feel much more accomplished having climbed it loaded down with beer. We now need the raw weight of a 4-pack to help calculate the amount weight we are rucking home.

timnyc and jrnyc like this.
  12. Kanger

Beer Trader

As the saying goes "A Pint is a pound the World around." So about ~4 pounds per four pack.

ONovoMexicano and Hirshi like this.
  13. Nightwish1094

Nightwish1094 Disciple (335) Apr 24, 2010 Texas
    Beer Trader

Anyone have an idea when next can release will be. Im planning on being there Aug. 16th, hoping to be able to score some cans.

14. Tbub18

Tbub18 Devotee (449) Oct 31, 2014 New York
    Beer Trader

Can and Bottles Sales: Cans and Bottles are for sale in the tap room when they are available. Releases are announced via Other Half’s Instagram/Twitter/Facebook. Can releases occur every 2 to 3 weeks. Bottle releases are more sporadic. Cans and Bottles cannot be consumed on the premises.

^^ just had a can release on 7/29, I think a fair guess would be a can release on Sat 8/15

imonhiatus likes this.
  15. EnthusedAboutBeer

EnthusedAboutBeer Zealot (516) May 13, 2013 New Jersey
    Beer Trader

16. tmbgnicu

tmbgnicu Zealot (526) Mar 15, 2014 Pennsylvania
    Beer Trader

Drank an AGE from the release last week last night from the can, sitting on my back porch with my wife drinking a galaxy, and my 4 month old son asleep in my arms, and it was probably the best IPA I have ever had. No joke. While the scenery likely played a role, AGE out of the can is every bit as good as Heady to me. Someone else mentioned that as well I think in the July thread...

abkayak, Kanger, cebern and 1 other person like this.
  17. jrnyc

Beer Trader

AGE is an awesome beer. Not sure about the comparisons to Heady, but as far as TIPA go, it is as good as it gets.

Anyone who has had both Pliny The Younger and AGE like to weigh in on AGE vs PTY?

1Sundown2C likes this.
  18. SasquatchB2

SasquatchB2 Initiate (169) Jan 12, 2015 Minnesota
    Beer Trader

I had PtY in Philly this year. I thought it was quite similar to AGE. In fact, I distinctly remember saying how similar they seem to be. PtY was definitely a better beer, but given its lack of availability, AGE is a very worthy alternative!

RobNewton likes this.
  19. Kanger

Beer Trader

20. RobNewton

RobNewton Disciple (356) Dec 30, 2014 New York
    Beer Trader

Is it really a fair comparison though? Heady versus Small Green Everything, Heady would win all day.

I'd be more interested in seeing AGE vs Triple Sunshine and Pliny the Younger

#20 RobNewton, Aug 4, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2015
    1Sundown2C likes this.
  21. Kanger

Beer Trader

Might be the week after.

Tbub18 likes this.
  22. 1Sundown2C

1Sundown2C Devotee (422) Jan 13, 2012 New York
    Beer Trader

I love Other Half and All Green Everything but this comparison to Heady Topper shit has to stop.

jgrummm, malfunxion, SkiBum22 and 5 others like this.
  23. Kanger

Beer Trader

Why do you care if someone prefers AGE over Heady Topper?

Dirtyhands likes this.
  24. erha2

erha2 Disciple (327) Mar 29, 2007 New York
    Beer Trader

I don't think it's all that crazy...I love heady but still prefer Sip of Sunshine, Second Fiddle, Focal Banger, and a lot of other NE IPAs to it. Don't think I prefer AGE to Heady but I also haven't tasted them side by side either.

VonZipper likes this.
  25. 1Sundown2C

1Sundown2C Devotee (422) Jan 13, 2012 New York
    Beer Trader

Preferring and comparing are two different things. I don't care if they prefer AGE, but in no way are they similar beers.

SkiBum22 and RobNewton like this.
  26. VonZipper

VonZipper Disciple (399) Feb 9, 2011 New York
    Beer Trader

No cussing please.

I think because Triple Sunshine, PtY, and other Triple IPAs are better comparisons than Heady Topper and other DIPAs. It's not really a matter of preference as much as a poor comparison.

I love OH but I'd take a 4pack of heady over AGE. If there was a mixed case of their single hopped beers though, it'd probably be another story...

27. Kanger

Beer Trader

No one is saying they are similar beers.

28. VonZipper

Beer Trader

Haha that's why I deleted it before you responded. Realized I was kind of being a dick.

RobNewton likes this.
  29. Kanger

Beer Trader

All good. Don't want to argue! :slight_smile:

So back to OH. I believe the next can release will be the week of 8/22.

Tbub18 and VonZipper like this.
  30. VonZipper

Beer Trader

Any idea as to what the next single hop is going to be or are they going to stick to the rotation of previously released beers?

#30 VonZipper, Aug 4, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2015
  31. Kanger

Beer Trader

I think Mosaic is in the tanks at the moment. (at least I hope it is!)

32. taestee

taestee Initiate (124) Dec 12, 2012 New York
    Beer Trader

be still my beating heart...

33. cebern

cebern Initiate (134) Apr 12, 2015 New York
    Beer Trader

Trillium posted some info on the OH collab on their 'Up Next' section:
    "Green Street, Obvious Pale Ale, Other Half Collaboration IPA with Valley Malt Danko rye. Double dry Hopped with Simcoe, El Dorado, Azacca."

34. BltByKrmn

BltByKrmn Zealot (539) Jan 16, 2013 New York
    Beer Trader

I should be done with my keg of Money by then so it looks like I'm making a trip to pick up a case.

RobNewton likes this.
  35. Kanger

Beer Trader

Not too confident much of this is making it to NYC. I'm hoping some of it does. :/

36. pwilliams211

pwilliams211 Initiate (0) May 21, 2014 Massachusetts

I have had full pours of green diamonds, Nelson, hop showers, and tastings of Galaxy and AGE at a share. All were delicious, but today I had a full pour of forever green at a local spot and to me(my own opinion, not representative of anything factual) it was by far their most impressive beer I had, it drank so much bigger than 4.7% and packed tons of hop flavor. I personally prefer heady topper to similar ABV offerings by OH, but they demonstrate an overall mastery of hops as a brewery

Kanger likes this.
  37. RobNewton

RobNewton Disciple (356) Dec 30, 2014 New York
    Beer Trader

They do a ton of great beers that aren't in cans yet! I'm hoping we get G is for Green in cans soon!

VonZipper likes this.
  38. parkingphi

parkingphi Initiate (66) Dec 2, 2008 New York
    Beer Trader

Any chance of an Amarillo single hop?

VonZipper and RobNewton like this.
  39. Kanger

Beer Trader

That would be tasty.

If I had a guess, Centennial would be the next single hop can since they brewed that one earlier this year.

40. SRBush1974

SRBush1974 Disciple (367) Apr 18, 2015 New Jersey
    Beer Trader

I hope they have some on at the OH Tasting Room or carry some in cans/bottles (since Trillium bottles) at the OH brewery. Don't see why they wouldn't have it on draft at least at the brewery. Will be a killer beer!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Founded in Boston in 1996, BeerAdvocate (BA) is your go-to resource for beer powered by an independent community of enthusiasts and professionals dedicated to supporting and promoting better beer.

Learn More
  • Our Community

Comprised of consumers and industry professionals, many of whom started as members of this site, our community is one of the oldest, largest, and most respected beer communities online.
  • Our Events

Since 2003 we've hosted over 60 world-class beer festivals to bring awareness to independent brewers and educate attendees.
  • Our Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.