Other Half Brewing

Discussion in 'Mid-Atlantic' started by mikeburd1128, Jun 8, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MosaicDrops

MosaicDrops Initiate (0) Jun 4, 2014 New York

What are everyone's thoughts on silent releases? There's a lot of bitching about this year's Mexican Cake release over on the South-Atlantic forum. It's a bit of an Apples to Oranges comparison (Westbrook vs OH) as Westbrook distributes to several states, but I thought it was an interesting conversation.

rozzom likes this.
  2. jrnyc

jrnyc Meyvn (1,160) Mar 21, 2010 New York
    Trader

Wonder how many cases they were started with?

3. pnutbutr

pnutbutr Initiate (0) Jan 4, 2013 New Jersey

No offense, but bitching over distribution is never interesting.

4. MosaicDrops

MosaicDrops Initiate (0) Jun 4, 2014 New York

None taken. I was more so referencing how breweries handle their releases. I think we can all agree that people will bitch regardless, no matter how distro/releases are conducted.

5. brenduune

brenduune Initiate (0) Dec 2, 2013 New York

From their instagram "kolsch brewed with some Maine oats, Mandarina Bavaria and Mosaic hops"

6. rozzom

rozzom Meyvn (1,015) Jan 22, 2011 New York
    Trader

As gets mentioned ad nauseam, no method is perfect, and will piss somebody off. But I'm definitely a fan of silent releases. Easy for me to say when it comes to Other Half, I know. But I feel the same way about somewhere like Hill Farmstead. I'd rather drive up there and have a rare chance of a nice surprise, and know that someone that goes 20x more than me has a higher likelihood of scoring something good, than going up for a pre-announced shit-show where nobody is happy.

Edit - but with the lower limits allowing cans to roll into today, I don't think OH are yet at the point where they need to think about this.

MosaicDrops, jrnyc and joehill like this.
  7. jrnyc

Trader

I like the way you think! That local person who goes to the brewery week in and week out needs to be rewarded. There is room for everyone whether they show up once a week or every 6 months, but rewarding the regulars who keep the brewery afloat is key.

If OH mixed up weekend "selling some cans" and weekday "selling some cans" this could accomplish giving everyone a shot and avoiding said shit-show.

OH doing a great job with all of this and trying to keep the customers happy.

8. PVMT

PVMT Initiate (0) Aug 10, 2014 New York

I don't think that you could describe yesterday's release as a shit show in any way, shape or form. No one was shut out or missed out, so that alone makes the weekday release a success. OH is doing it the way they're doing it; we, the consumers, need to assess whether or not their way works for us.

9. jrnyc

Trader

Wasn't specifically saying yesterday at OH was a shit-show, just a general reference to what some releases at any breweries are. Shit-show is a bit subjective too. By all accounts OH releases handled smoothly, but someone could consider people lining up hours before a breweries opening waiting for beer to be a shit-show even if it is a well run event.

KingforaDay likes this.
  10. jrnyc

Trader

Hopefully the crew from BFF doesn't go back for seconds today.

PVMT likes this.
  11. PVMT

PVMT Initiate (0) Aug 10, 2014 New York

Nope, that's simply supply and demand. Like I said earlier, you, the consumer, decides if waiting in a long line for beer is worth it to you.

Or not.

12. abkayak

abkayak Initiate (0) Jan 8, 2013 New York

the guy taking the money recognized the girl in front of me coming back for 2nd's...politely sent her on her way
    i appreciated that

13. jrnyc

Trader

What the hell is wrong with people? Really rude and selfish behavior. Glad they weeded her out.

14. Hirshi

Hirshi Initiate (0) May 1, 2012 New York

Supposedly she wasn't the only one trying. Someone may have even pulled it off by coming back through with a hoodie on for seconds.

I bought a 4-pack of each and some guy asked me to use my extra allotment to buy an extra 4pack of AGE for "his friend". I declined.

Boogie Board Stuntz is just crushing right now. With the Kolsch yeast quality it does actually remind me of a juicier, less grapefruit driven Boat Beer. Very dank right now. Curious to see how it changes over the next week or two.

Also, Mosaic IPA still extremely dank. I was surprised. Also imbibed some Red Wine BA In Absentia and that was nice to check in on, too.

Kanger, brenduune and Tbub18 like this.
  15. MisterBisco

MisterBisco Initiate (0) Feb 18, 2009 New York

I'm just confused why they have to run everyone through the bar area first, instead of straight into the garage (creating a tap/growler line separate from the can purchase line). Even when they don't have a sale that bar can be extremely cramped, as they've clearly outgrown it. Now, the whole process feels like a weekday rush hour subway commute.

That said, I'd do it again for more of these delicious Hop Showers.

Zeeterman and dazedandconfused like this.
  16. Superflyjsc

Superflyjsc Initiate (198) Dec 6, 2013 Pennsylvania
    Trader

What's available for sale in cans if I make a trip tomorrow Sunday?

17. jrnyc

Trader

I don't know for sure, but I would say 99% chance AGE is gone now or if not will be gone today. Not sure about Hop Showers.

18. Rwalden

Rwalden Initiate (0) Mar 16, 2013 New York

I wonder if there's a legal/liability issue with having people go directly into the garage (and bypassing the tap room).

jrnyc likes this.
  19. Superflyjsc

Superflyjsc Initiate (198) Dec 6, 2013 Pennsylvania
    Trader

Thanks for the info

jrnyc likes this.
  20. jrnyc

Trader

I was thinking same thing.

Zeeterman likes this.
  21. abkayak

abkayak Initiate (0) Jan 8, 2013 New York

22. Kanger

Kanger Initiate (0) Sep 3, 2013 New York

They've been keeping the gate down recently to try to keep the cats indoors, but the cats climb over that fence with no problems.

23. iamjo

iamjo Initiate (0) May 27, 2014 New York

Oh thursday you were able to go striaght into the garage

24. kjrod20

kjrod20 Initiate (0) Jul 16, 2005 New York

Speaking of the cat, does he/she have a name? I've always wondered but never bothered to ask.

25. jrnyc

Trader

Who knew cats had such great taste in beer? Or maybe the cats are mules for the legions of Brooklyn cats who love IPAs.

By my count I have seen three different cats (felines, not Brooklyn hipsters :slight_smile:!) in there, a black cat , a grey cat and a black and white cat. @Kanger knows their names.

26. kjrod20

kjrod20 Initiate (0) Jul 16, 2005 New York

Ah, I consistently see the grey one that's missing part of one ear. He/she tends to jump on laps in the tap room.

27. NiceBeerCans

NiceBeerCans Initiate (0) Mar 16, 2013 New York

Not when I was in line on Thursday. The garage was strictly an exit. Chained off from one side of the garage door opening to a garbage can (almost to the other side) and staff member standing by the unchained door sized opening. You had to go through the tap room and your ID was checked before you entered.

SpillyBeers and Tbub18 like this.
  28. Kanger

I always forget the other two's names, but the solid black one is Melissa Joan Hart.

29. ecpho

ecpho Aspirant (242) Mar 28, 2011 New York

Re: BoogieBoardStuntz

Just had this "kolsch" at Astoria bier and cheese. Did not resemble a kolsch in any way at all. I did not like it, I didn't understand it. But personal preferences aside - why call this a kolsch at all when it doesn't remotely resemble the style?

30. Kanger

I haven't had it yet, so can't comment on it specifically, but it could be using a similar yeast and grain bill as a Kolsch. Then I'm sure OH put their hop spin on it.

31. BltByKrmn

BltByKrmn Defender (631) Jan 16, 2013 New York

Hop Showers is no joke, really impressed

32. rozzom

rozzom Meyvn (1,015) Jan 22, 2011 New York
    Trader

I really enjoyed it. But totally agree about the kolsch thing. By comparison it makes the Jacks Abby "lagers" appear old-worldly in their adherence to style

33. PaleCale

PaleCale Initiate (153) Mar 26, 2014 North Carolina
    Trader

Any thoughts on how the second batch of canned AGE compares to the first?

34. DrunkyBuddha

DrunkyBuddha Initiate (0) Jul 3, 2014 Connecticut

Heading down there today!! Anyone one know the recent tap/growler list?

35. Kanger

So I got a chance to taste this today and I will agree with you it doesn't taste like a kolsch at all. But that's only because it is so hoppy. It's still a very refreshing beer.

36. ecpho

ecpho Aspirant (242) Mar 28, 2011 New York

I really didn't like it - way too over the top bitterness - for something that shouldn't be close to that bitter, and yes I love hoppy beer. I did really like Cool Summer Bro from last year - my favorite OH beer. I really like the non IPA & non BA styles - I just wished that if a beer is going to be labeled as such it should be somewhat close. If its wildly different - call it something else.

BoardwalkBock and Kanger like this.
  37. Kanger

Ah interesting. I didn't get any bitterness at all. Just a lightly fruity hoppy backbone.

rozzom likes this.
  38. BoardwalkBock

BoardwalkBock Zealot (576) Aug 18, 2012 New York

I agree. If I want a Kolsch, I'll grab a Kolsch. I love hoppy beers but enough of this trend of just hopping every style to hell and calling it a "hoppy x-ale". If I want hops, I go for an IPA or PA.

ecpho likes this.
  39. Moopband

Moopband Initiate (0) Jul 20, 2010 New York

If love to see them do a hopped up Gose though - similar to Gose Gone Wild

ChairfaceChippendale likes this.
  40. pinyin

pinyin Disciple (357) Sep 19, 2013 New York

Had my first exposure to Other Half Saturday with Superfun on draft locally.

Really good session ale. I still like Carton slightly better, but these guys make some good beer. Probably the best in NY.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.