Other Half Brewing

Discussion in 'Mid-Atlantic' started by mikeburd1128, Jun 8, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jrnyc

jrnyc Meyvn (1,160) Mar 21, 2010 New York
    Trader

The awesome thing about OH is there are so many great beers, everyone's different tastes are accommodated. Personally my top 5 in no apparent order are:

Nelson
    GD
    Greenbacks

abkayak and Tbub18 like this.
  2. abkayak

abkayak Initiate (0) Jan 8, 2013 New York

canned...kinda go for AGE n Green Diamonds myself....Hop Showers not as much
    Nelson only had it on tap and wished id tried it in cans

3. jrnyc

Trader

Costume changes, the way you worded that is pretty damn funny :slight_smile:!

I don't know what the hell is wrong with people that they would change their appearance to get back in line and selfishly grab more! Good news is we get highly desirable beer, bad news is this part of beer culture surfaces the worst of some people. Maybe the staff should write OH on people's foreheads so they can't do this.

cavedave, rozzom and dar482 like this.
  4. SudsDoctor

SudsDoctor Disciple (344) Nov 23, 2008 New York

Or maybe oldschool blacklight hand stamps? :wink:

jrnyc and rozzom like this.
  5. SudsDoctor

SudsDoctor Disciple (344) Nov 23, 2008 New York

6. HugeBulge

HugeBulge Initiate (0) Dec 31, 2012 New York

Lololololol

7. BltByKrmn

BltByKrmn Defender (631) Jan 16, 2013 New York

I'm with you, I really like Mosaic and Hop Showers. GD was too sweet for me while AGE is good but not wait in line good.

Tbub18 likes this.
  8. SasquatchB2

SasquatchB2 Initiate (0) Jan 12, 2015 Minnesota

Greenbacks was SO good. I know this was brewed for Mission Dolores' anniversary, but has anyone heard if there is a chance of it being brewed again?

9. Fahmie25

Fahmie25 Initiate (0) Jan 2, 2008 New York

I guess this is where smaller threads would be coming in handy, but I think a couple pages back someone said there was one keg left that was about to be tapped...i dont think there are any plans to brew it again, but lord i hope they do. my favorite OH beer thus far.

SasquatchB2 likes this.
  10. jrnyc

Trader

Greenbacks was on tap at the Five Boro Beer fest at beginning of month, Matt indicated they would try to work it back into rotation. So, hopefully we see it again some time. You should have been there for that event, I think I had about 5 glasses of it :slight_smile:!

SasquatchB2 and rozzom like this.
  11. MosaicDrops

MosaicDrops Initiate (0) Jun 4, 2014 New York

I want some more G is for Green

12. 2Xmd

2Xmd Initiate (0) Apr 19, 2013 New York

The Owl Farm 3rd anniversary on 6/20 advertised they had the last know Greenbacks keg for their event.

SasquatchB2 and dar482 like this.
  13. Kanger

Kanger Initiate (0) Sep 3, 2013 New York

"6/6/15!!! This Saturday. Doors at 10am at the brewery. Green Diamonds: $16 4pack/$90 case. Equinox: $16 4pack/$90 case. One case max of each per person. That means each person can buy a case of each beer. First come, first serve. We would love to do a lower limit but we do not have space to store the beer so it all must sell on Saturday. Over 200 cases of each style will be available. See you soon!"

[​IMG]

2Xmd likes this.
  14. dar482

dar482 Poo-Bah (3,853) Mar 9, 2007 New York
    Society

This beer. Needs to be brewed again.

15. jrnyc

Trader

Let the games begin!

16. cornontherob

cornontherob Initiate (0) Oct 15, 2011 New York

So what time do we need to get there this time? 8am?

(Not complaining about OH, just still pouting about not getting AGE last time lol)

17. MosaicDrops

MosaicDrops Initiate (0) Jun 4, 2014 New York

I would think Saturday will be tamer than others as GD has been canned several times and Equinox isn't nearly as hyped as some of their other can releases.

18. MisterBisco

MisterBisco Initiate (0) Feb 18, 2009 New York

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Good one.

cavedave, HeyHayward, schteve and 6 others like this.
  19. paddyfrankie

paddyfrankie Initiate (0) Jan 14, 2015 New York

Hey the second release of GD I just walked in at 2, bought my cans, and was back in the car in less than a minute. Might actually be correct......but probably not.

20. MisterBisco

MisterBisco Initiate (0) Feb 18, 2009 New York

In the history of OH can releases, that was a time nearly forgotten already.

Until the AGE/Mosaic release, I would have thought that getting there around 1 after a 10 AM release would be no problem. Now? I'd guess that if you're not there by noon, you're probably getting locked out of at least one of the two.

21. schteve

schteve Aspirant (222) Sep 10, 2003 New Jersey

I expect to see the words "shit show" appear in this thread by Saturday evening.

22. paddyfrankie

paddyfrankie Initiate (0) Jan 14, 2015 New York

Saturday evening? I bet they appear before 10 AM.

cavedave and Phigg1102 like this.
  23. Phigg1102

Phigg1102 Initiate (0) Sep 29, 2013 New York

NY Times headline "Mysterious Friday night camping ritual begun along the gowanus canal, seems to appear every two weeks".

24. rozzom

rozzom Meyvn (1,015) Jan 22, 2011 New York
    Trader

"Centre Street: Brooklyn's Skid Row?"

BrooklynKing and Phigg1102 like this.
  25. cavedave

cavedave Poo-Bah (3,006) Mar 12, 2009 New York
    Society Trader

Careful what you wish for, all you folks who dreamed of a great local brewery like OH, now you will find out what once we Mid Hudson valley guys went through with Captain Lawrence, and go through now with Plan Bee special releases. Won't be long when more out of towners will be buying and drinking OH cans than you local guys.

Hirshi, rozzom and jrnyc like this.
  26. rozzom

Trader

This is almost certainly me being very naive, but I hope the location has something going for it when it comes to capping out the number of people willing to travel into town for their cans. There's a finite amount of nearby parking spaces, it's not in the most scenic part of town, there's no permanent food option served there (discounting McDonalds - although I forget that a lot of beer nerd's palates are only extremely discerning/delicate/sensitive up to a certain point) or large seating area, and it's on the F/G line.

Wishful thinking though I'm sure.

jrnyc likes this.
  27. jrnyc

Trader

Great points, but you underestimate the will of the average beer geek. If OH setup a barge in the Gowanus Canal and people had to swim to get to the barge and grab their cans, even that wouldn't deter people from seeking out these cans :slight_smile:!

It is a double-edge sword, they make great beer, good for everyone, but downside of that is increased competition for the beer. I would always love to get cans easily, but at least the beers that go out in cans are readily available on tap.

schteve, rozzom and cavedave like this.
  28. cavedave

Society Trader

Well, let's look at another great brewery, Hill Farmstead. Maybe if they put that brewery in the middle of nowhere Northeast Kingdom Vermont on a dirt road some miles from nearest paved road, no one would come. Or...

29. SRBush1974

SRBush1974 Initiate (0) Apr 18, 2015 New Jersey

I'm up in the air about heading over from NJ. I love OH, have been to 2 releases, but really only want some Equinox. Not sure if its worth it for me. Keeping an eye on Singlecut as well. Doesn't seem too close to OH, but could make the trip worth it, especially if they release Bon Bon.

What are people's thoughts on the limit? It's good to see OH acknowledge it but I felt like their argument of lack of space as weak. I know their space is small and tight, but I think lower limits with maybe a release starting on Friday (or Thursday) would help more people get their beer. It could be an issue about keeping the beer cold.

I'm thinking getting there at 10:45 is a sweet spot to get in and out without waiting long for cans. But then again, OH has been getting more hype and the beer world could caravan in and horde cases by the car/truck load.

How long until OH thinks or acts about moving to a larger space? Just a thought.

30. dar482

dar482 Poo-Bah (3,853) Mar 9, 2007 New York
    Society

As for the food situation, a couple blocks away, there are tons of options. Mexican, pizza, sandwiches, Italian, crepes, Korean Mex, American, etc. It's actually a fine area if you just go a touch north.

LIBeer likes this.
  31. rojapa

rojapa Initiate (0) Jun 26, 2013 New York

I wish they had stuck to the lower limits of the last release and would do one case total, seemed to last much longer that way.

jrnyc and Tbub18 like this.
  32. Nmelione

Nmelione Initiate (0) Dec 28, 2014 New Jersey
    Deactivated

I do as well. I don't know their space constraints but I feel even at 4 and 4 limit they would sell through most, if not all by the end of Saturday. If not they would have very little left and def get through it on Sunday.

rojapa and jrnyc like this.
  33. rozzom

Trader

Of course- I live nearby - I just meant actually at the brewery itself.

I guess my point to cavedave was that a lot of breweries have more space, a dedicated food menu, a parking lot etc - things that make the experience more attractive to someone travelling there (especially if they're trying to persuade family/friends to go with them). I suppose I'm envisaging me trying to sell my wife on something (if we lived out of town):

A.N. Other Brewery: "so I hear they do a great burger, and it's located in a beautiful part of the Hudson valley etc"

Other Half: "it's under the BQE on a small street behind a McDonalds and there are ~8 seats. But it's only 12 stops on the F train if we get off at Penn Station. So that's good"

Edit - and yes understood that technically the F doesn't go to Penn Station and that you'd need to walk a block east :grinning:

#2553 rozzom, Jun 2, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2015
    dazedandconfused, dar482 and jrnyc like this.
  34. jrnyc

Trader

In the world outside of craft beer fanatics, everything you state is 100% logical and makes sense. But.....

Great beer, limited supply,"special release", FOMO, hype, cans, can limits, etc. will TRUMP logic every time.

schteve, rozzom and ripps1 like this.
  35. BltByKrmn

BltByKrmn Defender (631) Jan 16, 2013 New York

No offense to CL, but is anyone really banging down their door for their beer? It's good, it's distributed well . . . but I've never heard of anything remotely close to what's going on at OH no less HF.

HeyHayward likes this.
  36. rozzom

Trader

Haha - I re-learn this lesson every day on here. And you're right.

jrnyc likes this.
  37. cavedave

Society Trader

- bold added

And no offense to you who is obviously new to the scene around here, either, haha.:slight_smile:

The last release at Captain Lawrence old (Pleasantville) location required getting there the day before, grabbing tix, staying over in frigid temps, and at least half of the huge crowd not getting any beer.

They now do silent releases, and other releases to coincide with Sour'd In September (at their now Elmsford location). Plan Bee releases are the new shit show for us lucky locals here.

I wish all breweries did silent releases but it is so much easier to build up hysteria and sell out of beer in one day, even at the expense of your customers' comfort and enjoyment.

BeerWorld, rozzom, tobelerone and 2 others like this.
  38. t8000shx

t8000shx Initiate (180) Mar 2, 2004 New York

The shi*shows that used to happen at CL the last 2 or three years of Rosso e Marrone and Cuvee de Castleton releases, prior to changing their release system, were orders of magnitude beyond what's happening at OH now.

This was at their old brewery. They changed their release system (almost all silent releases now) when they moved, and while it's a little disappointing (some epic bottle shares at the old releases), it makes a lot of sense. It's a small miracle that no one ever got hurt/no serious damage was done... though there were many near misses on both fronts.

BeerWorld, rozzom and cavedave like this.
  39. cavedave

Society Trader

Yes, I was next to the guy at the last CdC release whose pants caught fire, trying to stay warm too near the kerosene space heater.

I think if OH isn't careful the same kind of hysteria can be expected in such a tightly packed neighborhood. If they do any releases of beers that cannot be gotten on tap, such as barrel aged one offs, likely things could be even worse (or better bottle shares?) at OH in future than they were at CL.

rozzom and jrnyc like this.
  40. jrnyc

Trader

Their first bottled stout was met with mixed reviews. If they produce another one there may be no lines for it, but if it turns out great, the next one after that could be an epic shit show if it is a limited release.

rozzom and cavedave like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.