Other Half Brewing

Discussion in 'Mid-Atlantic' started by mikeburd1128, Jun 8, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rozzom

rozzom Meyvn (1,015) Jan 22, 2011 New York
    Trader

bearded men - I think it's just the collective term for beer geeks used back in the village all those moons ago

sorry - *grain malted carbonation geeks

2Xmd and jrnyc like this.
  2. SasquatchB2

SasquatchB2 Initiate (0) Jan 12, 2015 Minnesota

Any guesses to what will be on at the taproom tonight?

3. timnyc

timnyc Initiate (58) Dec 28, 2013 New York

4. jrnyc

jrnyc Meyvn (1,160) Mar 21, 2010 New York
    Trader

Nice! Saw your review on Court Street Grocers,I really enjoyed that place. I had the opposite experience as you the short rib sandwich was huge!

Cheers!

PS. While we are at it, any day that Brooklyn Burro sets up shop at OH is a great day!

dar482 likes this.
  5. Birmy

Birmy Initiate (0) Jun 18, 2011 Connecticut

You can count on Frankies, Prime and Buttermilk to be crowded and long waits for tables on weekends. Buttermilk is closer to OH by 2 blocks but all are on Court Street. When I go to Frankies it is usually on a weekday but they do have an outside dining area, Prime Meats has a much bigger dining room inside and some tables on the sidewalk. Frankies isn't big on to go orders, but prime meats is on seamless.

6. joehill

joehill Initiate (162) Apr 11, 2008 New York
    Trader

it's also a ~10 minute walk to the Red Hook ball fields, where you could get some of the best central & south american food around from the food trucks during the day. huaraches, pupusas, tacos, grilled corn, arepas, ceviche etc etc.

7. algebeeric_topology

algebeeric_topology Zealot (516) Dec 30, 2014 New York
    Trader

Also further up smith street is a great spot for eats. Bar Tabac is one of my favorite spots in NYC! That neighborhood is awesome. Bar Great Harry is totally worth checking out.

underwater_ and BrooklynKing like this.
  8. BrooklynKing

BrooklynKing Initiate (0) Mar 26, 2015 New York

Way late to this thread, but here's my $0.02 in 5 bullet points:

1. best food nearby is avlee: http://www.yelp.com/biz/avlee-greek-kitchen-brooklyn
    2. the OH tasting room is tiny (orig bklyn brewery, original rockaway brewing, the bedroom you grew up in size) so it gets crowded quickly.
    3. these guys are killing it with effort. quality beer from a former ghetto chop shop. next to a superfund site. and i'm not referring to the mcdonalds that people still get robbed in. =)
    4. I popped in twice on Saturday (5/31), once at 4 (packed), and 10 (dead).
    5. Tiffany has to put up with more crap than most bartenders I've seen in NYC. Maybe like 10% of the customers were polite, 40% normal, and 50% asking for 4 different tastings, taking their motherf/gdamn time choosing what beer, and then paying with their gf's/parents credit card. If my gf wasn't there, some overprivileged blood would be in the next IPA.

SkiBum22, Davidsoul, Kanger and 2 others like this.
  9. MisterBisco

MisterBisco Initiate (0) Feb 18, 2009 New York

Regarding close(ish) eats, my favorite spot anywhere around there is the Pickle Shack on 4th Ave., a collaboration restaurant between Dogfish Head and Brooklyn Brine. They almost always have some great stuff on tap (and at good prices, 12oz 120 minute pours for $10 or so), and their Bahn Mi is outstandingly delicious. Plus, they're vegetarian, which is a big plus for me (though all meat eaters I know report having been totally satisfied there).

Oh, and the Pickle Shack is right across the street from Mission Dolores, one of the better tap lists in the area.

joehill and Kanger like this.
  10. Kanger

Kanger Initiate (0) Sep 3, 2013 New York

Also right across the street is Minibar which has craft beer including OH.

Birmy likes this.
  11. Birmy

Very true. They often have OH on draft.

12. SkiBum22

SkiBum22 Crusader (787) Oct 18, 2009 New York
    Trader

Not sure if it's been mentioned already but Hometown BBQ is a 15-20 minute walk from OH. Possibly the best BBQ in NYC and well worth the kind of long walk.

BrooklynKing, rozzom and Hirshi like this.
  13. Emmige1

Emmige1 Initiate (0) Dec 1, 2014 New York

I mean...Drunk McDonald's is about ten seconds away.

14. rozzom

rozzom Meyvn (1,015) Jan 22, 2011 New York
    Trader

For me it's not possibly. It's definitely. Love that place man

15. kjrod20

kjrod20 Initiate (0) Jul 16, 2005 New York

My fiancee and I are meeting our parents for lunch tomorrow, have to pick up her parents from GCT at 11ish. So my options are to either be that guy and go about 9-930 to be one of the first in line so I can get out by 10:15 to make it, or just skip it altogether.

Stupid life getting in the way of beer stuff.

16. Birmy

Hometown is a little over a mile from Other Half and fantastic, but I have never seen OH there :wink:

17. Tbub18

Tbub18 Initiate (0) Oct 31, 2014 New York

If the pre-trades are any indication it looks to be a busy morning over there. I vote for skipping--save yourself the stress and grab a growler another day

2Xmd, jrnyc and underwater_ like this.
  18. jrnyc

jrnyc Meyvn (1,160) Mar 21, 2010 New York
    Trader

Big crowds every release could be the new normal. I am leaning towards skipping, would love to be there to hang out and FOMO is kicking in also, but may just resist and go next week when I can roll right in there. These releases are turning into trader releases, gopickitupformebro and people who are from out of the area. Not that there is anything wrong with that, but given the choice of waiting in a line or going next Saturday and drinking to my hearts delight, I may opt for next week.

Tbub18 likes this.
  19. Todd

Todd Founder (6,282) Aug 23, 1996 California
    Staff Moderator Fest Crew Society Trader

Locking this generic thread full of banter down. Cleaned it up a bit. Removed a few trolls too. (You're welcome.)

dbagspaceman, corby112 and WiscoNYC like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.