Other Half December 2017

Discussion in 'Mid-Atlantic' started by RobNewton, Dec 1, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SeanEDPBK

SeanEDPBK Initiate (107) Jun 8, 2016 New York

Ha- maybe I'm in the minority here but the only thing I care to see on a beer glass is the brewery name and/or logo. I have two Nordic pint glasses, one gold one platinum.

ecpho, Brian_Lynch and rozzom like this.
  2. rozzom

rozzom Champion (816) Jan 22, 2011 New York
    Trader

I have two of those Spieglau tulip-type glasses, and two HF glasses. They pretty much cover me for everything. Never seen the attraction of tekus. The first one or two beer-specific glasses OH did I was semi-tempted to buy one just because I (naively) thought they’d be something a bit unusual- now that there’s 20+ different kinds I’m not really into it

RobNewton, SeanEDPBK and Brian_Lynch like this.
  3. pirate99gs

pirate99gs Initiate (72) Nov 9, 2014 Quebec (Canada)

Do we have a line update?

4. SeanEDPBK

For those blocked on IG, comments indicate line in front of 40 Garnet as of a couple minutes ago.

EDIT: I hope I don't get blocked for circumventing the block.

5. mikebeerz80

mikebeerz80 Initiate (0) Jun 24, 2017 New Jersey

Thanks again to all of you who replied to my line questions. Definitely in the same boat as many of you coming from Jersey and finding the right time to leave the wife and baby at home. I am the only one I know as obsessed with craft beer so it's nice to connect with those who share my hobby and have insight. If I can make my way out to OH soon I'll be sure to provide the quality updates back to all of y'all.

6. rojapa

rojapa Devotee (405) Jun 26, 2013 New York

Line is just around Garnet.

jrnyc likes this.
  7. ChairfaceChippendale

ChairfaceChippendale Initiate (89) May 29, 2014 New York
    Trader

Personally I don't really like branded goods, I'd prefer glasses without the logo. The glasses with the all-over Broccoli print and Torst's glasses have been some of my favorite. Glad to see OH offering something other than Tekus at least.

8. rojapa

They just did a head count, 130 cases of the other day left, 160 of ACE.

jrnyc likes this.
  9. SeanEDPBK

Short sold out?

EDIT: looks like lots of short left, line is crazy though.

#409 SeanEDPBK, Dec 16, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2017
  10. rojapa

Line is moving insanely slow today. I’m not even at the corner of Centre yet. Not blaming OH, gotta be people not knowing what they want and taking forever to pack their beer up.

11. Dino_like_dinosaur

Dino_like_dinosaur Initiate (63) Jan 7, 2017 New York
    Trader

About how many people in line would you say?

12. rojapa

A good amount, probably 80ish behind me and I just hit the corner of Centre. ACE and The Other Day probably won’t make it to the end of the line depending on how much people buy of each. No idea how much is left of the other two, but I’ll post how much looks to be left when I leave.

Jlabs likes this.
  13. rojapa

I just left and the line is still almost to the corner of Garnet. The Other Day and ACE were both fairly low but it looks like not too many people are making out. Hard to say how long they’ll last, there was still a good amount of Oh and SDB. Some Hop Showers cans lingering as well but I didn’t see how much was left. It still amazes me seeing people walk out with 4-5 cases of beer.

rozzom likes this.
  14. rozzom

Trader

There’s times where I just don’t understand the rhyme/reason behind how bad the line is

15. SeanEDPBK

If I were a trader today would be a golden day to hit LIC, OH, and Finback- you'd come home with a pretty nice haul of two or three of NYC's best craft beers, some cool new stuff, and it could all probably be finished by the late afternoon. Whether you like this mentality or not it seems to be the reality of this "scene", much debated here so I won't bother trying to add to that body of opinion. Days like these I just reaffirm my membership in #growlerboiz.

16. SeanEDPBK

Obligatory questions: what's next week, and how is SDB tasting?

17. MosaicDrops

MosaicDrops Initiate (157) Jun 4, 2014 New York
    Trader

I’ve grown accustomed to it despite not really participating. It’s not going away. What’s crazy is where some breweries decide to draw the line.

I was fortunate to join Barrel Culture’s member society. They typically do 3 bottles each member release for 300 people. Seems pretty straightforward, no? Well they decide to do small batches for some of them (i.e. 50 bottles of xyz fruited variant). So now you encourage members to stand in line for something that you’d think would be guaranteed. Defeats the entire purpose of a membership when you have to stand in line for member bottles.

My rant wasn’t directed at you but the way some of these breweries operate is absolutely mind boggling

RobNewton, SeanEDPBK and rozzom like this.
  18. rozzom

Trader

Citra gone

19. SpinSamzo

SpinSamzo Aspirant (255) Mar 11, 2017 New York
    Trader

Anyone else hearing 'Song of the Volga Boatman' as they watched this?

kthoag likes this.
  20. thedon10

thedon10 Initiate (112) Nov 12, 2009 New York

It reminds me more of the people lining up for their fix in The Wire, like a scene from Hampsterdam.

21. BoardwalkBock

BoardwalkBock Zealot (516) Aug 18, 2012 New York

Got there at 12:30, waited 10 mins in line and got the last 4-pack of Hop Showers. Successful enough for me.

22. rojapa

Funny, I think Oh... is the best beer that was released today. Getting a lot of green strawberry notes and it goes down easy. ACE is overrated IMO and I’m not feeling SD&B, way too sweet I couldn’t get through the full 16oz. The Other Day is tasting great as well.

23. SenatorSpaceman

SenatorSpaceman Disciple (399) May 24, 2014 Connecticut
    Trader

I don't think the "gotta have it" teku/glassware craze is attributed as much to FOMO as it is to modern Instagram culture. Everybody has a beer page and they have to keep up with a diverse and trendy collection of serving receptacles in which to pour the beer that they are posting about.

24. llerrafnad

llerrafnad Initiate (156) Apr 14, 2016 New York

I must say, I really don't understand why there are people out there that dislike Simcoe. Simcoe+Wai-Iti is delightful.

b-mc-g, balto22 and kthoag like this.
  25. Kanger

Kanger Zealot (521) Sep 3, 2013 New York

This is very true, but collecting breweriana is a huge part of the beer world. There's a whole section here for it: https://www.beeradvocate.com/community/forums/breweriana.42/

RobNewton likes this.
  26. RobNewton

RobNewton Defender (609) Dec 30, 2014 New York
    Society Trader

I'd wager that many of the posters railing against glassware have no idea how obscure the glassware market gets.

27. SeanEDPBK

Haha yeah I bet glass collectors' significant others and these massive collections don't mix well.

RobNewton likes this.
  28. CraigMack61

CraigMack61 Aspirant (286) Oct 4, 2013 New Jersey
    Trader

Anyone know of Short Dark & Breakfast is still available?

29. Comparison_Ford

Comparison_Ford Disciple (371) Apr 4, 2014 New York
    Trader

They posted that there were only 3 cases available at 9:15 last night. I would wager that it's gone by now.

30. afroskully

afroskully Aspirant (233) Aug 24, 2016 New York
    Trader

Seems I’m not sharing the same love for Vic secret hop showers as you all. There’s something about that hop profile to me that always tastes a little mediciney. I liked the motueka and whichever the original DDH version was a lot more.

I’m actually a little disappointed in the most recent OH cans I’ve gotten. I have one space diamonds can someone gifted me that will hopefully restore my faith.

31. Dino_like_dinosaur

Dino_like_dinosaur Initiate (63) Jan 7, 2017 New York
    Trader

You might have gotten a bad can- so far mine have been great. Even better than the draft I tried in the taproom.

afroskully likes this.
  32. Comparison_Ford

Comparison_Ford Disciple (371) Apr 4, 2014 New York
    Trader

This must have been a mistake. They’re now saying they have 30 cases.

33. SpinSamzo

SpinSamzo Aspirant (255) Mar 11, 2017 New York
    Trader

Did anyone else notice it said "Blue Cheese vs. Ranch" on some of the wangies cans? Clearly they saw our conversation.

RobNewton likes this.
  34. peej

peej Initiate (47) Apr 18, 2013 New York

short dark and breakfast is pleasant tasting but I don't think I needed a whole 4pack of it...

35. fdonnelly

fdonnelly Initiate (153) Dec 14, 2016 New Jersey
    Trader

Anyone if short dark and breakfast is still available?

36. BoardwalkBock

BoardwalkBock Zealot (516) Aug 18, 2012 New York

I drink my beer out of a Budweiser Pint Glass from 1988. Sue me.

37. CraigMack61

CraigMack61 Aspirant (286) Oct 4, 2013 New Jersey
    Trader

SD&B was still there when I left around 330.

38. frozyn

frozyn Defender (614) May 16, 2015 New York
    Society Trader

Your Instagram banning by OH suddenly makes sense :wink:.

First visit to the new taproom yesterday, with @jrnyc, really cool setup they have there. Pretty good group of people there around noon, enjoyed being able to have some tasters of ACE and Hop Showers, and the Simcoe-Waiti John got me. It seemed like a nice place to spend a couple hours with friends around those tables, but god damn make something other than IPAs so it's not a 17-3 ratio.

jrnyc, 2Xmd, SeanEDPBK and 3 others like this.
  39. crowlcrowlcrowl

crowlcrowlcrowl Aspirant (246) Jun 13, 2014 New York
    Trader

OH did a special Friday before XMAS release last year in place of Saturday. Wonder if they’ll follow suit this year.

40. pinksocked

pinksocked Initiate (34) Apr 30, 2017 New Jersey

hoping for it to be thursday

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.