Other Half (July 2018)

Discussion in 'Mid-Atlantic' started by RobNewton, Jul 1, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. canchon

canchon Initiate (36) Jul 7, 2017 New York

Potential midweek Cheddar Broccoli and Kolsch drops? Oooohhhhh looks like my Saturday just freed up.

2. MattInBklyn

MattInBklyn Initiate (21) Dec 27, 2017 New York

What kind of beer was Bud’s Life (tm life) and what was in it?

3. Tallerboy

Tallerboy Initiate (50) Jun 17, 2017 New York

RobNewton likes this.
  4. rozzom

rozzom Crusader (730) Jan 22, 2011 New York
    Trader

Whenever I see this month’s thread title I think of Sepultura

mltobin, llerrafnad and guinness77 like this.
  5. MattInBklyn

MattInBklyn Initiate (21) Dec 27, 2017 New York

Thanks! Thought it was non-IPA. Guess I was mistaken.

6. Dino_like_dinosaur

Dino_like_dinosaur Initiate (48) Jan 7, 2017 New York
    Trader

Really only excited for SGE again.

canchon and GreaserGreg like this.
  7. bryantc3

bryantc3 Initiate (150) Apr 12, 2017 New Jersey

it's such a good beer for the summer. it's unfortunate that i made plans and can't get to the brewery for it.

Dino_like_dinosaur and HeyLady like this.
  8. EnthusedAboutBeer

EnthusedAboutBeer Zealot (565) May 13, 2013 New Jersey

OG SGE > DDH SGE

RobNewton, frozyn, canchon and 4 others like this.
  9. NewmansOwn

NewmansOwn Aspirant (255) Jun 25, 2016 New York

10. EDNOSE

EDNOSE Aspirant (210) Oct 27, 2007 Connecticut

I am going to be at the Brooklyn Aquarium on Saturday with the family. Since it is my birthday on Sunday, I've been given the go-ahead for a diversion on the way home to go to Other Half. Generally speaking (I can tell from looking through the thread this depends on what's available on a given Saturday):

- When does the line normally die down and make visiting with kids manageable?
    - Am I likely to end up with some cans well into the afternoon? If not, how late is typical (I know this is hard to answer)?

11. rozzom

Trader

Looking at the line up for Saturday I’d say medium sized line. Should be clear to walk in and grab cans by late morning kind of time. Definitely some stuff will stick around all day.

Re: kids, what age? I have a kid (2) - OH not a great place to bring them, especially on a Saturday where there’s generally a solid crowd all day

12. bryantc3

i'd say between 11:30am-2pm may be a good time. Depending on if the cans are behind the bar or at the warehouse. My experience says that if you have kids - visiting on a Saturday may just be a "grab cans and go" experience, as opposed to sitting down and enjoying a few pours - given how fucking crammed packed it can get. past 2PM it'll only get more crowded.

RobNewton and EDNOSE like this.
  13. EDNOSE

Thanks guys. Yes, "family" is kids and not just adults. Thanks for the heads up on it being a little packed most Saturdays.

RobNewton and rozzom like this.
  14. rozzom

Trader

Yeah man. OH just not really a kid friendly place unfortunately (and I’ve always been a proponent of bringing kids to breweries both before and after having my own). The old space was an absolute no go. The new space is ok on off hours if you have a small baby who’s just going to sleep/chill. My wife and I took our son there when he was a few months old at opening on a Friday and was fine. But from when they can walk to when they can legally drink it’s not great. No food. Nothing for them to do. And usually rammed at weekends.

15. EDNOSE

Yeah, I bring my kids all the time to breweries as long as there is something for them to do (including me bringing a game or stuff to entertain them), but knowing that crowded space on a Saturday can be an issue is really helpful thanks. Sounds like I may have to just leave my wife and kids in the car and run in and out for whatever cans there are when we get there.

mltobin and rozzom like this.
  16. Belittle

Belittle Disciple (328) Oct 17, 2013 New Jersey

Cans are sold at the corner so you won't need to run into the brewery

RobNewton likes this.
  17. Feaor

Feaor Initiate (92) Jul 9, 2017 New York

Depends on when they go to the brewery, they move can sales to the taproom in the afternoon.

RobNewton likes this.
  18. bryantc3

OR

i think there is mini-golf or something like that a few blocks away. Let them get a few holes in while you have a pint or 3.

19. rozzom

Trader

Yeah, and/or (depending on the kids age) that redeveloped playground a couple blocks north, or Court Street Grocers or any of the good restaurants round there. It's your birthday @EDNOSE - you deserve to get away for 30 mins for a pint

20. nychas

nychas Initiate (150) Mar 4, 2006 New York

RobNewton and TheNinthLetter like this.
  21. BLazarus22

BLazarus22 Initiate (34) Aug 5, 2011 New York

22. llerrafnad

llerrafnad Initiate (163) Apr 14, 2016 New York

Damn I really should have bought more DDH Citra+Galaxy. This beer is insanely good. It’s like a blend of what I love about ACE and Space Diamonds.

FatSkippy and SeanEDPBK like this.
  23. SpinSamzo

SpinSamzo Aspirant (211) Mar 11, 2017 New York
    Trader

Anyone hear of Harlem Hops? I haven't been yet but it sounds like a cool place. However, just saw on their Instagram that they are selling Broccoli Cheddar cans. Checked out their can list and they are also selling Grimm's debut cans. That's illegal, yeah? Should I reach out to Harlem Hops?

RobNewton likes this.
  24. llerrafnad

I could be wrong, but I’d say that’s illegal.

25. just_sugar_water

just_sugar_water Initiate (34) Dec 14, 2015 New Jersey

Don't all bars sell cans/bottles to drink on-site?

26. RobNewton

RobNewton Zealot (571) Dec 30, 2014 New York
    Premium Trader

You shouldn't reach out to shit cuz cans are lasting and someone in the locale might need easy access to those cans!

ScottKramer and rozzom like this.
  27. AM824

AM824 Initiate (0) Dec 9, 2015 New York

Seems extremely unlikely (near 0%) to be illegal. Looks like a well-funded operation, cans are on-site only, and they tagged the brewery in the Instagram post.

I have seen OH cans for on site consumption in the past as well. This isn’t some shady bottle shop.

28. SeanEDPBK

SeanEDPBK Initiate (110) Jun 8, 2016 New York

Haymaker gets brewery only cans sometimes too.

RobNewton and jmerizio like this.
  29. Tallerboy

Legal? Who cares, in the beer industry, legal means violating a government granted monopoly of connected beer distributors wetting their beaks before you can wet yours. As craft beer drinkers you shouldn't care about macro beer and their rent seeking ways. This is why we have mules, cronies get greedy and levy an unjust cost on a product and we get a grey market, just like a black market follows prohibition. /Rant

30. llerrafnad

I didn't know Harlem Hops was a bar, I was under the impression it was a bottle shop. Should have done my research but that changes things. Most likely legit.

SpinSamzo likes this.
  31. ScottKramer

ScottKramer Initiate (65) May 27, 2016 New York
    Trader

Harlem Hops looks like a great place! Nice selection and some food...

RobNewton and SpinSamzo like this.
  32. Feaor

Anyone know how quick the line has been going these days? I was going to roll into OH in the late morning but I found out I have to be back at my apartment by 11:30 which probably means being done by 10:30?

33. BoardwalkBock

BoardwalkBock Devotee (478) Aug 18, 2012 New York

I don’t understand all the hype around City Slickers. Got a single can and drank it last night. It was a middle of the pack beer for me.

34. PapasDelicateCondition

PapasDelicateCondition Initiate (69) Sep 7, 2016 New York

I agree. Bracing myself for some prickly pear, I thought it was interesting but not great. If I were to have tried it blind, I'd have spit it out all over myself.

35. state08

state08 Initiate (73) Feb 4, 2016 New Jersey

Depends what time you get there but they open pretty early most days now. There are times I've gotten cans, had a couple in the tap room, and back on the road by 10:30.

Now if they drop crazy glassware or bottles or something, that could slow the line down. More decisions = slower line.

36. rozzom

Trader

No post in over 24 hours?! WTF

How's the Cheddar Broccoli? Saw some comments on FB that implied it wasn't amazing

37. Tallerboy

I grabbed a 4 pack Tuesday, drank one out of plastic cup in prospect park, it felt like an on par OH beer. But like someone said earlier I kinda felt I had to get some bc a Cheddar Broccoli teku is my main beer glass (and broccoli with cheese was my mom's go to trick to have me eat vegetables as a kid).

rozzom and RobNewton like this.
  38. PapasDelicateCondition

PapasDelicateCondition Initiate (69) Sep 7, 2016 New York

Cheddar Broccoli tastes pretty thin imo

rozzom likes this.
  39. mayhops

mayhops Initiate (18) Jun 22, 2018 New Jersey

When’d you get the cheddar broccoli teku? Any idea if they have them now with the can release?

40. Feaor

They made them last September, I have one as well. I don't think they've ever made more of any of the tekus beyond the logo ones with the exception of DDH Broccoli when the new taproom opened.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.