Other Half (June 2018)

Discussion in 'Mid-Atlantic' started by RobNewton, Jun 1, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darwensi

Darwensi Initiate (147) Sep 7, 2007 New York
    Trader

If you live in the District tho? I'm pretty die hard and can attest to the consistent schlep to Herndon being a tall order.

hoppytobehere likes this.
  2. Jlabs

Jlabs Champion (895) Nov 11, 2013 New York
    Trader

Stopped in at OH earlier.tonight to grab a few growlers and had a pour of triple citra daydream..wow insanely good!

RobNewton likes this.
  3. Xeal

Xeal Initiate (155) Mar 5, 2016 New York
    Trader

$50 can pretty much get you an Uber to Brooklyn, Manhattan, and Queens from industry city. I would not subject anyone I know who isn’t drinking to a beer fest. I never noticed the DD ticket at opening bash and I can’t recall how they would reinforce that since I don’t remember getting wristbands marking that I’m an attendee (and if I did the bouncers outside gave them to me and they didn’t check the ticket type). Unless secretly the $50 DD ticket is the backdoor way to get into Green City for half off. Just bring your own glass.

Recent DD pricing at Hill Farmstead’s event is free with a ticket and they get a $8 meal voucher!

4. PapasDelicateCondition

PapasDelicateCondition Initiate (68) Sep 7, 2016 New York

Last time I had aslin it was a year ago and they were murky, chunky, amateur attempts at NEIPA. When did they dial it in?

HeyLady and RobNewton like this.
  5. Darwensi

Darwensi Initiate (147) Sep 7, 2007 New York
    Trader

Late spring/early summer.

6. afroskully

afroskully Aspirant (216) Aug 24, 2016 New York

I've had a few sours from Aslin that we're quite delicious. The one IPA I had from them is called Unicorn Vomit. It's a high abv watermelon IPA. The artwork was really cool. The beer was interesting.

7. TheNinthLetter

TheNinthLetter Initiate (69) Apr 16, 2017 New York

Yeah Aslin IPAs always had a bad burn and floaties but I will say recently they seem to be much much better. Triple Orange Starfish was pretty damn tasty.

As for the $50 DD ticket...I think with an event like this being in Brooklyn with so much to do in the area, I agree $50 is a bit much. But I will say, my wife was pregnant all winter and there were a few events "we" wanted to go to (like the Mikkeller festival in Boston) but they did not offer a DD ticket at all. If they had, even at $50, I may have done it.

8. RKP1967

RKP1967 Aspirant (234) Sep 26, 2010 Virginia

I drink one beer a day...but two cases and that's one schlep every seven weeks, without even factoring in drinking beers fro mother breweries. That doesn't seem like much schelping...if I lived in NYC, I'd have to schep to Other Half...

9. tinoynk

tinoynk Initiate (58) Sep 25, 2010 New York
    Trader

Just to chime in on the Aslin topic, I've gotten a good amount in trades since last December, and overall have mostly been impressed. The Orange Starfish series is all great, and the Master of Karate and Oranges are steller.

I'd have no problem with them being my local brewery.

b-mc-g and bgold86 like this.
  10. SpinSamzo

SpinSamzo Aspirant (204) Mar 11, 2017 New York
    Trader

Not an IPA, but I had a peanut butter stout from Aslin called Bale during an OH line share and it was easily one of the best stouts I've ever had.

afroskully, RobNewton and b-mc-g like this.
  11. FatSkippy

FatSkippy Initiate (32) Mar 21, 2005 New York

I also recently moved from DC to NYC and the best of Aslin is as good as anything OH produces imo. They are in the middle of nowhere though and the breweries closer to and in DC range from horrible to average at best.

hoppytobehere and Darwensi like this.
  12. bryantc3

bryantc3 Initiate (143) Apr 12, 2017 New Jersey

back on the topic of lactose. Does their "green city" or whatever the name of the beer that gets distro to bars in place of their old IPA contain lactose? I didn't see it mentioned on their site, however I had quite a few Tuesday and my stomach was torn apart tuesday night and most of wednesday, and I think it may have been from that.

13. TheNinthLetter

TheNinthLetter Initiate (69) Apr 16, 2017 New York

As far as I know there is no lactose in it. Could have just been the classic Bud Muds.

14. Feaor

Feaor Initiate (87) Jul 9, 2017 New York

So I'm guessing if we don't hear anything by Noon today we won't be getting Cashmere + Galaxy this week? Unless they drop it tomorrow or as a silent on Saturday?

15. crowlcrowlcrowl

crowlcrowlcrowl Aspirant (223) Jun 13, 2014 New York
    Trader

I don't think it has Lactose. It is brewed with Oats. Could have been that.

bryantc3 likes this.
  16. rozzom

rozzom Crusader (713) Jan 22, 2011 New York
    Trader

Too much of any beer has bad repercussions for my toilet

17. bryantc3

bryantc3 Initiate (143) Apr 12, 2017 New Jersey

yeah, beer shits are typical. but this was much different than normal

quite possibly could have been the oats.

rozzom and RobNewton like this.
  18. llerrafnad

llerrafnad Initiate (163) Apr 14, 2016 New York

I love Green City. Would love to see it canned

yossle and Jlabs like this.
  19. prettygood

prettygood Initiate (71) May 27, 2016 New York

Yeah as good as their west coast ipa was it's been a lot better having this option at so many local bars (my go to at alamo).

It's easily one of my favorites from them. Curious why it's never been canned.

20. NewmansOwn

NewmansOwn Aspirant (247) Jun 25, 2016 New York

Hows the latest batch of Hop Showers?

21. The_Hangmans_Tallboy

The_Hangmans_Tallboy Initiate (50) Apr 27, 2017 New York

I agree, I’ve ended up enjoying this more than the old “IPA.” Regarding canning, did IPA ever sell that well? I don’t feel much urgency to have these cans in the fridge, given it’s ubiquity around the city, but I’m curious if it’ll ever materialize. Maybe there will be cans to correspond with the fest?

22. prettygood

prettygood Initiate (71) May 27, 2016 New York

Good point with the fest coming up. I wouldn't be surprised to see that beer plus an 8.5% and 10.5% version be apart of that week's release.

The old version didn't seem to sell well, but I'd more chalk that up to it being a west coast ipa than it being widely available locally on draft.

RobNewton likes this.
  23. SeanEDPBK

SeanEDPBK Initiate (108) Jun 8, 2016 New York

24. SeanEDPBK

SeanEDPBK Initiate (108) Jun 8, 2016 New York

Love the Owl Farm and looking forward to their 6th Anniversary, and now this the night before!? Gonna need to lineup a new liver if I'm to make it to Sunday.

ONovoMexicano and rozzom like this.
  25. Feaor

Feaor Initiate (87) Jul 9, 2017 New York

I didn't notice until now but the info about Green City mentioned that the release next week is on Thursday which is interesting.

26. rozzom

Trader

Love it. My local spot. Almost happy that I’ll be on vaca as that would have been an expensive weekend!

ONovoMexicano and SeanEDPBK like this.
  27. NewmansOwn

As-Is is doing an event Thursday night too

SeanEDPBK likes this.
  28. Tallerboy

Tallerboy Initiate (50) Jun 17, 2017 New York

I saw the box of Cashmere+Galaxy stickers next to the DDH Broccoli & KCBC sticker boxes on this past Saturday, so it is coming.

29. The_Hangmans_Tallboy

The_Hangmans_Tallboy Initiate (50) Apr 27, 2017 New York

Dying to know: what’s the color scheme?

30. Tallerboy

Tallerboy Initiate (50) Jun 17, 2017 New York

Purple & Blue... I missed Space Diamonds the last time, after a ~3 month wait, so I was excited for X+Galaxy IIPA bc it seems we have to do 5 releases of Double Dry Hopped Double Mosaic Daydream Dreams before Space Diamonds can come back.

31. rozzom

Trader

Haha yeah I feel like there’s been a ton of DDHDMDDMDDMMDMMD recently

32. SpinSamzo

SpinSamzo Aspirant (204) Mar 11, 2017 New York
    Trader

Sounds like a Tree House beer

33. NewmansOwn

First post I've seen about the release of the Interboro/OH collab.

RobNewton likes this.
  34. brandnewcardock

brandnewcardock Initiate (46) Aug 23, 2017 New York
    Trader

Also curious. Was planning on stopping by after work to pick some up assuming it hasn't sold out. This will be my first Hop Shower ~experience~ thanks to the intense praise from this thread.

35. midegrou

midegrou Initiate (52) Dec 14, 2013 New York
    Trader

Any Showers survive? Thinking of rolling through this afternoon.

36. RobNewton

RobNewton Zealot (532) Dec 30, 2014 New York
    Premium Trader

It's good. It's soft and flavorful, subdued for an other half beer.

brandnewcardock likes this.
  37. mkak18

mkak18 Initiate (0) Sep 11, 2015 Massachusetts

Visiting Brooklyn tomorrow and am thinking of swinging by Other Half. What's it normally like on a Saturday? I saw they're releasing cans, does that mean stay away? Will have three folks with me who won't be up for waiting in a long line just to get a pint.

38. NewmansOwn

Just picked up a 4 pack. They’re also bottling Snowbirds again!

39. Brian_Lynch

Brian_Lynch Initiate (107) Nov 18, 2014 New York

I heart that beer.....

RobNewton likes this.
  40. funkel81

funkel81 Devotee (442) Jan 23, 2011 Colorado

Anyone know when the beer list will be announced for this $100 ipa festival?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.