Otter Creek discussion

Discussion in 'New England' started by Jbrews, Aug 25, 2016.

1. Jbrews

Jbrews Disciple (300) Aug 6, 2013 New Hampshire

Thought I'd throw this up for two brews coming around.

First the 25th anniversary....go to otter creek youtube. Anyone had it and is it in distro?

Looks like double dose was announced again. I'll admit it seems to have gone downhill a bit. Any thoughts if you would grab it again.

Miss talking about these guys.

Cheers

2. Sweatshirt

Sweatshirt Aspirant (219) Jan 27, 2014 New Hampshire
    Beer Trader

I had 2 4packs of DD last year. It was decent but a certain downgrade. I won't be seeking it out again.

3. jhavs

jhavs Meyvn (1,218) Apr 16, 2015 New Hampshire
    Supporter Subscriber Beer Trader

They have the 25th Anniversary at Woodstock Hops and Barley. I bought some but did not drink it yet. Not sure how wide the distro will be. Based on the opinions of some people I know it is very good (which most likely means nothing to you).

Also, I thought DD was really good on tap last year but thought the bottles seemed a bit aggressive (bitterness wise). I will buy some if it is in the store when I'm there.

They have been making some really good brews for a while now and I love the availability. On tap even at places with crappy selections and bottles in all the gas stations/etc.

Hope they bring some tasty brews to Siptemberfest this year!

Otter_Drew likes this.
  4. SunDevilBeer

SunDevilBeer Zealot (516) May 9, 2003 Massachusetts

Always thought DD was too precious & overrated.

I like Overgrown in the Fall - anyone know when we can expect to see it around Boston? Should be any day now?

5. AirBob

AirBob Defender (640) Jul 15, 2014 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

Pretty sure I saw it at Vinnin today, but I wasn't paying close attention.

6. Str8fromtheGrnMtns

Str8fromtheGrnMtns Initiate (170) Sep 8, 2014 Vermont
    Beer Trader

i've had 3 bottles of the 25th anniversary so far, it's a great beer. a couple things about it: it's expensive, it's boozy, it is very grapefruit/citrus forward, and the lager shines through which is what i was hoping. i didn't want them to add so many hops that it masks the lager altogether. overall, great beer, but not worth the price point.

excited for double dose, i've gotten it every year. i agree the bitterness was a bit much last year but that won't deter me from getting a 4-pack this year.

woodfinish and jhavs like this.
  7. keithmurray

keithmurray Meyvn (1,088) Oct 7, 2009 Connecticut

I had their Russian Imperial Stout a couple of years ago, but can't seem to find it on shelves. Anyone know about this?

8. Jbrews

Jbrews Disciple (300) Aug 6, 2013 New Hampshire

Overgrown is definitely out now. Saw it Friday in Southern Maine.

9. Pisthetaerus

Pisthetaerus Initiate (197) Dec 3, 2014 Connecticut
    Beer Trader

It releases in decemeber. It was $20 a 4 pack in CT last time round :/

10. FFreak

FFreak Defender (637) Nov 10, 2013 Vermont
    Beer Trader

The 25th Anniversary Double IPL is great. Maybe even world class.

jhavs likes this.
  11. keithmurray

Wow. Its been a couple years since I had it and it was really good, but i dont remember it being that expensive.

12. Pisthetaerus

Beer Trader

I think CT got screwed somehow. MSRP is supposed to be 13.99-14.99 according to otter creek. Still slightly on the high side for RIS imo.

13. keithmurray

Yeah, most of the good RIS are between $9-12 (Old Rasputin, Founders, On Fleek, etc)

14. SunDevilBeer

Finally found "Fall" seasonal Overgrown at my local store in Boston suburbs, a beer in past I've really liked. Bottle date 7/19 for a hoppy ale ? no thanks.

Crap like this is why after a brief comeback with good new beers OC is settling back into irrelevancy.

15. Pisthetaerus

Beer Trader

I get it, it's OC's fault that your local store is stocking old beer?

Givemebeer likes this.
  16. jhavs

jhavs Meyvn (1,218) Apr 16, 2015 New Hampshire
    Supporter Subscriber Beer Trader

Seems like more of a distro issue. We had bottles with that date in July.

17. SunDevilBeer

Yes it is. OC needs to control their downstream supply chain better. And not make a hop-forward Fall seasonal in mid-July.

For the record, my local store got their 1st delivery this week, and I've been looking for it at other stores for several weeks.

18. Pisthetaerus

Beer Trader

We got in CT starting in July. And CT normally gets stuff later than MA. Much more likely that it was the distributor's fault.

19. SunDevilBeer

Well, OK does that mean OC is totally off the hook for getting beer in customer's hands late? I'd think they should have a sales rep in a major market like Boston working with disty to get their beer to market - unless OC doesn't give a crap, & in turn, why should I about their beer?

20. Brad007

Brad007 Poo-Bah (3,344) Mar 28, 2007 Vermont

Are you shitting me?

It's more like your local store sucks at rotating old stock. Why don't you tell them to get their shit in gear? ;-)

Pisthetaerus likes this.
  21. SunDevilBeer

More like bad distro - which the brewery needs to take ownership of. Breweries can't just blow off distribution probs - I don't give a crap who caused the delay, my feelings go towards OC, they r ultimately responsible for getting fresh beer to me.

22. Brad007

Well, you really don't know where the problem starts. Now it's the distro. Ok. Whatever you say.

23. SunDevilBeer

Seriously OC can just brew beer & whatever happens in distro isn't their problem?

24. skivtjerry

skivtjerry Zealot (523) Mar 10, 2006 Vermont

Unless a brewery self-distributes, what happens in distro is completely beyond their control. Furthermore if they end up with a bad distributor it is very difficult for a small brewery to get out of their contract and look for a better distributor. The good old 3 tier system at work.

Brad007 and Pisthetaerus like this.
  25. SunDevilBeer

Nonsense. They choose to distribute their beer in Boston, they own their subcontractor performance for delivery to customers. Blaming their partner for poor performance is bush league. I buy OC beer not Burke Distributing beer.

26. Shyla987

Shyla987 Aspirant (242) Jul 18, 2013 Connecticut
    Subscriber

Let's try to settle this:

Should OC have a rep checking stock? Yes. But even huge breweries don't have enough staff to to do that with every store.

Should the distro rep check stock regularly? Yes, that is absolutely their job. When a brewery signs with a distro their own staff is somewhat subordinate to distro. Distro knows the market, knows the good and bad stores.

Are both equally to blame? Depends on the market.

Who should accept ultimate responsibility? The store.

schteve and skivtjerry like this.
  27. vtcraft

vtcraft Aspirant (215) Apr 1, 2013 Vermont
    Beer Trader

The hoppy mixed 12 pack were a month old when they showed up in Burlington vt area. I enjoy the newish hoppy brews they r putting out but every time I see something new and check bottle dates they are at least a month old. This is at beverage warehouse, Pearl st and the like so it's not the shops. Not saying who's responsible but come on it should be hitting the shelves faster,

Sweatshirt and SunDevilBeer like this.
  28. DarkDragon999

DarkDragon999 Aspirant (267) Feb 13, 2013 Rhode Island

Never ever have seen their RIS anywhere. Weird.

29. Pisthetaerus

Beer Trader

The store should be calling the rep. Unless the distributor is dumping old stock on them no matter what, like you said, it ultimately is the stores fault. If they can't get it fresh then they shouldn't carry it.

skivtjerry likes this.
  30. Brad007

Well, OC is only a 45 minute drive south of Burlington. I haven't been to the brewery in a while but I've got a friend down that way I visit sometimes and I try to stop in at OC. I still have not been to Drop-In.

31. DrStiffington

DrStiffington Meyvn (1,083) Oct 27, 2010 New Jersey
    Beer Trader

Otter Creek's newer stuff has been awesome but...I wish they put everything in cans and a real problem is that we in NJ often end up with old beer. Their hopp stuff is great and CHEAP but I don't buy old hop forward beers.

32. bring

bring Initiate (184) Aug 17, 2005 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

$4 12oz bottles of 25th anniversary beer; no thanks

33. Givemebeer

Givemebeer Zealot (567) Apr 6, 2013 Vermont

I live very close to OCB and know them well. They do not even brew a beer unless they have an order for it and they have a shelf life of 3 (or 4?) months. At this time the sales reps are supposed to pull the beer from the store. A beer bottled in July is within that range and it sounds like either the beer doesn't sell well there or the store does not rotate their beers. I agree I wouldn't want a pale ale from July but blaming the brewery without knowing half the story is a little unfair. Cheers!

34. Kraftastic

Kraftastic Disciple (381) Jan 27, 2009 Massachusetts
    Subscriber Beer Trader

Ohhhhhhhh snap. A pale ale that's six weeks old?????? What ever am I going to do? It's not a DIPA. When it hits four or five months we have a problem.

I'd still drink it.

35. Kraftastic

Subscriber Beer Trader

It hurts me to think that shelf stable isn't a concept anymore.

schteve and PierogiSmash like this.
  36. PierogiSmash

PierogiSmash Initiate (18) Jan 22, 2014 Massachusetts

Whatever Overgrown I bought last week was as good as I remember it from last year. Freshness Queens be damned. I really wish this were a year round beer...Cue the lines about my uncivilized palate, your overly sensitive ones and how after 48 hours beer turns into rotting septic death juice.

Jay21moose likes this.
  37. Justin42

Justin42 Aspirant (273) Apr 3, 2013 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

Part of my wants to chime in and say the freshness crusade is a bit out of control, but I cannot honestly say I would buy a hoppy beer from July these days, not when there are so so many other fresh options to be had. I wouldn't complain or send it back if I got a 2-month old IPA in a bar, but I wouldn't buy one given the other options.

meefmoff and AirBob like this.
  38. Kraftastic

Subscriber Beer Trader

If it's not right out the bright tank I don't want it....

Sorry, this trend really irks me

39. oldbean

oldbean Aspirant (210) Jun 30, 2005 Massachusetts

Obviously some people get a little crazy about it but really, the bar being raised on freshness is hardly the worst thing that could happen to the industry.

NYR-Zuuuuc, meefmoff and Jesse14 like this.
  40. Kraftastic

Subscriber Beer Trader

I couldn't agree more! I work in a shop and it's a blessing and a curse. Overall the products have gone uphill. But god forbid I have a beer that's dated a month and a half old, even if it's still in code. I've had customers bring it up to me telling me it's too old. If I have money I'll buy one, crack it and sample it with the customer. Very rarely does it taste bad.

The dating codes are the codes for a reason.

• About Us

Founded in Boston in 1996, BeerAdvocate (BA) is your go-to resource for beer powered by an independent community of enthusiasts and professionals dedicated to supporting and promoting better beer.

Learn More
  • Our Community

Comprised of consumers and industry professionals, many of whom started as members of this site, our community is one of the oldest, largest, and most respected beer communities online.
  • Our Events

Since 2003 we've hosted over 60 world-class beer festivals to bring awareness to independent brewers and educate attendees.
  • Our Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.