Outdated beer

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by buckyp, Mar 9, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. buckyp

buckyp Initiate (0) Mar 7, 2010 South Carolina

I just picked up a six of 80-acre Hoppy Wheat from Boulevard at a North Carolina grocery store that had a best by date of 01/03/14. Because the six comes in a little box, I couldn't see the date on a bottle (I do usually check freshness dates). What can be done? Return to store? I'm emailing Boulevard just to let them know (although I realize it is victim to the 3-tier system that likely caused this to happen). Beer was okay but likely not as hoppy as brewer intended.

2. jesskidden

jesskidden Grand Pooh-Bah (3,071) Aug 10, 2005 New Jersey
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Seems like you're the victim, not Boulevard. How did the boogieman Three Tier system force them to pack the dated bottles in a sealed undated box? How do they expect either the retailer or the distributor to check dates, much less the final customer?

nickfl, jman005, afterexile and 3 others like this.
  3. BrettHead

BrettHead Initiate (0) Sep 18, 2010 Nebraska

There is a best-by on the outside of the box though.

4. buckyp

Pretty good point jesskidden, the packaging is interesting (and has instructions for how to use/reuse it; but it does, indeed, keep anyone from peeking inside.

5. buckyp

BrettHead, I'll double check box...I missed a date on it.

6. jesskidden

jesskidden Grand Pooh-Bah (3,071) Aug 10, 2005 New Jersey
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

:astonished:
    Well, I guess I misinterpreted the above sentence then, and will change my vote on who's the victim. (My apologies to Boulevard). :wink:

No date - illegible date - can't find the date - can't decode the date - blind date > I don't buy the beer.

7. BigStein88

BigStein88 Savant (1,047) Nov 5, 2007 New Hampshire
    Trader

I really, really, need to get better about this. Visited a buddy in Mass last week and bought some Titan IPA from the cooler. Back home in NH I crack one and am surprised how much it sucks. Check the date, bottled 10/12. I take my share of the blame for not looking, but really, you put that in the cooler?

TonyJ815 and JAramini like this.
  8. BrettHead

BrettHead Initiate (0) Sep 18, 2010 Nebraska

Agreed. I'm just saying it is there though, cheers :slight_smile:

9. Flibber

Flibber Initiate (0) Jul 27, 2013 England

It's probably a toss-up between "take it back to the shop" and "drink it anyway it's probably OK".

TonyJ815 and rozzom like this.
  10. buckyp

I check but can't always crack the code. Maybe an app with brewery freshness code methods would help. BA Mobile beta feedback, perhaps?

Ernest_Hooper likes this.
  11. jefffalcone

jefffalcone Initiate (0) Nov 9, 2013 Massachusetts

The store should take it back.

NCMonte likes this.
  12. VDODSON

VDODSON Initiate (0) Feb 5, 2013 North Dakota

All IPA's should be labeled with an easy to read date. Sick of cryptic codes, and those without anything resembling a date. Bought a Left Coast Hop Juice last year that tasted like a flat ale. Never again, I now only buy those with a date.

13. Shroud0fdoom

Shroud0fdoom Initiate (0) Oct 31, 2013 Maryland

It wasn't that much better carbonated. Trust me!

Nlawrence301 likes this.
  14. Possumjenkins99

Possumjenkins99 Initiate (0) Jul 15, 2013 Ohio

It would be cool if you could scan the barcode of a beer and the best buy date or bottled on date would pop up

thatoneguymike, darky, jrnyc and 2 others like this.
  15. muddyh2oblues

muddyh2oblues Initiate (0) Mar 13, 2010 Illinois
    Deactivated

I recently bought some Anchor Liberty Ale with a bottled on date, but didn't quite know what the code was. Could only guess it was made in 2013. The label had 3MT printed on it. Turns out M was March and T was day 26. So it was almost a year old. Luckily, it was still drinkable. Your beer was probably bottled around 6 months ago, because I believe Boulevard goes with 120 days from bottling. Goose Island goes 180 days, even on their IPA. (which is too long. I had some Goose Island IPA that was 176 days old and not very good.) Fresh beer only website does help, but have been told that's not always entirely accurate. Why can't these breweries just use a universal bottled on date and let the consumer decide if it's too old or not?

Shroud0fdoom likes this.
  16. Shroud0fdoom

Shroud0fdoom Initiate (0) Oct 31, 2013 Maryland

This is why I love Maine Beer Company. They have an easy to see Bottled on date and the brewer recommends drinking the Hoppy beers within 90 days of the date. The only downside to Maine is the price, but at the end of the day they are well worth it.

17. DelMontiac

DelMontiac Initiate (0) Oct 22, 2010 Oklahoma

It may be past its "best by" date, but it's still within its "drinkable by" date.

buckyp likes this.
  18. JuniperJesus

JuniperJesus Zealot (741) Feb 26, 2011 Illinois

Boulevard Brewing uses packing that makes it impossible to see the bottle date. I've tried a crowbar, battle axe, morningstar, and I even had a grenade once. Nothing worked. I wasn't able to open the sixer and check the bottle date until I purchased it and brought it home. I think there's a chip or something that deactivates once it enters your house. By then it's too late. You discover the beer is old.

JasonLovesBeer likes this.
  19. Sponan

Sponan Initiate (0) Jan 20, 2008 Tennessee

You could be helpful and tell him where to find it, since you are so sure.

20. Rback

Rback Crusader (477) Feb 26, 2012 New York

I was at a local beer store yesterday and they had 2013 Lienenkugels Orange Shandy on the counter at the normal price. I laughed & asked the clerk if this was a little outdated & I got a look like what hell are you talking about

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.