Over the Rainbow? Why Queer Beer Is Important

Discussion in 'Article Comments' started by BeerAdvocate, Apr 21, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BeerAdvocate

BeerAdvocate Admin (16,949) Aug 23, 1996 Massachusetts
    Staff Society

woemad, larryi86, joeagain and 34 others like this.
  2. Sabtos

Sabtos Poo-Bah (8,846) Dec 15, 2015 Ohio
    Society Trader

LMAO at the comments section link!

3. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Poo-Bah (1,854) Jan 20, 2012 Colorado
    Society Trader

Haven't been Rick rolled since MySpace. Is @Todd related to tom?

eppCOS, REVZEB, KRug and 1 other person like this.
  4. forum8417

forum8417 Aspirant (204) Feb 1, 2011 New Jersey
    Trader

I'm just here for beer. Didn't think it could get more complicated than that.

5. mickyge

mickyge Poo-Bah (1,592) Nov 1, 2014 Massachusetts
    Society

I think I have been doing that without being prompted or suggested to. I'm not big on doing something just because.

6. Providence

Providence Crusader (748) Feb 24, 2010 Rhode Island
    Trader

Beer doesn't fall from the sky. People make, distribute, and sell it. We should consider the lives of those people, even if only for a moment.

woemad, larryi86, GROCH and 43 others like this.
  7. beerookie

beerookie Initiate (51) Mar 27, 2015 Ohio

Enough with the social BS! If someone created and advertised a "heterosexual" beer the world would be up in arms.

Keep your sexual BS to yourselves!

8. algebeeric_topology

algebeeric_topology Champion (804) Dec 30, 2014 Florida
    Society Trader

There is so much heteronormative advertising! Start noticing it.

And someone making awesome beer should be able to continue making great beer with no fear of being fired for any aspect of their identity! These issues aren't just about "kumbaya feel good, why can't we all get along, etc...," they're about legal protection.

9. mbockstruck30

mbockstruck30 Disciple (370) Dec 31, 2010 Illinois
    Trader

[ gets :popcorn: ready ]

10. MrBoz21

MrBoz21 Aspirant (201) Oct 3, 2013 Colorado

One of the things that I've always enjoyed about the beer and brewing communities is that they're inclusive ... folks joining with other folks over the love of beer. When we start making it about identities, we fragment the community into tribes, then the tribes start pushing against each other over this or that. So it really doesn't matter your color, your gender, or your disposition - come on in and make and enjoy good beer with the folks around you ... we can all share the identify of craft brew lover without the intersectionality.

11. billandsuz

billandsuz Devotee (480) Sep 1, 2004 New York

[​IMG]

12. Karl9s

Karl9s Initiate (35) Nov 18, 2015 Florida

Beer treats all imbibers equally, just as we all should.

13. Grounder

Grounder Initiate (96) Jun 20, 2019 Illinois

I do not buy (or not buy) beer based on political opinions of the brewers.

14. timobkg

timobkg Aspirant (241) Aug 24, 2006 New Jersey

Just think of the possible slogans:

"We're here, we're queer, we brew delicious beer!"

We've had that for years: Clown Shoes' Tramp Stamp and Brown Angel (which they only retired before deciding to court Harpoon as a buyer) and Dominion's Morning Glory, Double D, Candi (all three also available in a "Pinup Variety Pack"), Oak Barrel Stout (label since changed), and Abbey Ale (retired?) are a few off the top of my head.

We've had "heterosexual" beer and advertising for years, I think we can now handle a few rainbow labels. Let's judge the beer on its own merits, and not based on the people that brew it.

15. Whiskeymovie

Whiskeymovie Initiate (5) Mar 29, 2020 New Jersey

As a gay man, I couldn't care less who a beer is made by or marketed to. If it's good, I'll drink it. I also make my own beer, have been to over 1,000 breweries across the USA, listen to heavy metal, and have lots of tattoos of skulls. Even though I am not your "stereotypical" gay person, I still go to gay pride events, I go to gay clubs and bars, even gay campgrounds, because sometimes it's just nice to be around other people like yourself. SO, is it cool they are making beer marketing towards gay people? Hell yeah, but....I do agree with the comment that if they tried to market a beer as "heterosexual", people would flip a shit. We all know it would happen. It would be the same thing if they tried to market a "white" beer. Now, I am a firm believer that a business should be able to market to whomever they like without backlash or repercussion. Hobby Lobby doesn't like gays. Guess what? I don't shop there. Simple. I don't feel the need to make an uproar, but that's just me, and I know for all the SJW's out there, this will be an unpopular answer. Sorry....On the other hand, for all the homophobic, xenophobic, racist knuckle-draggers out there who fear change, and think gay and minority rights are being shoved in your face? Well, yeah, they are, and about damn time. People have to understand that the market has been severely underserving or under-marketing to "minorities" until fairly recently, which is why the gay beer or black beer or whatever, is so cool. That is something straight people or white people or whatever people have to realize as well. So, I look at this as the same way I look at Hobby Lobby. No one is forcing you to buy it. You don't like it, look away and buy something else. Problem solved.

BigIronH, pudgym29, larryi86 and 43 others like this.
  16. REVZEB

REVZEB Poo-Bah (9,448) Mar 28, 2013 Illinois
    Society

Why is this hard for people? Love is love. Let's drink beer! Cheers!

misteil, Shanex, RbrtGroves and 22 others like this.
  17. Roguer

Roguer Poo-Bah (6,067) Mar 25, 2013 Connecticut
    Moderator Society Trader

Remember: respecting "who" made the beer isn't forcing anyone else to change their spending habits. No one is making you buy LGBTQ beer, or to avoid beer with over-sexualized (and hetero-normative) imaging and branding. You can buy what you like, as always. Some people refuse to buy Bourbon County because of the AB-InBev purchase; that's their choice, too, while others are free to enjoy the beer regardless of who made it.

This is about listening and enlightenment, and if you choose to support people because of their background and struggles - whether it's minority owners in brewing, female ownership in brewing (a la Pink Boots and others), or supporting the LGBTQ community - that's a choice. No one's making you do it (just as no one made you read the article). No one's forcing their "social BS" on you.

In fact, if someone is making you accompany them to a gay-owned brewery and exclusively buy their beers, you should inform the police, because you may have actually been kidnapped and are just now finding out. :wink:

In other words, if the very idea of a discussion over how people can support the LGBTQ community in brewing offends you, perhaps you have some unresolved issues to work out. :wink:

woemad, GROCH, Darkmaple and 39 others like this.
  18. TrojanRB

TrojanRB Poo-Bah (1,611) Jul 27, 2013 Texas
    Society Trader

Amen!

I’m here for the beer, and that’s it.

19. drac86

drac86 Initiate (109) Jan 28, 2014 Indiana
    Trader

The problem is that beer may seem inclusive to someone who's never had to worry about being included or who has always been able to see themselves represented, but for those of us in communities that still face discrimination, it's nice to see some intentional representation. Yeah, I get that the sentiment is coming from a good place, but I don't see something like this as trying to fragment people into tribes, I see it more as an invitation to communities that may not automatically feel welcome in what is a heavily white, straight, cis, male community.

And while I certainly am not implying that you were intending to be exclusionary with a statement like "share the identity of craft brew lover without the intersectionality," it kinda comes off that way. Like, if being gay is an important part of someone's identity, does that mean they can't also be a craft brew lover? Does it mean you don't want to drink beer and hang out and talk with them? Again, from the context I don't think that was your intent, but that is a very real concern for a lot of LGBT folks who, as @Whiskeymovie mentioned, have not been truly included in the scene until fairly recently.

woemad, draheim, Darkmaple and 21 others like this.
  20. TrojanRB

TrojanRB Poo-Bah (1,611) Jul 27, 2013 Texas
    Society Trader

I’m really disappointed in the social agenda this site has been pushing lately.

It’s a big reason I’m spending a lot less time here.

21. nuplastikk

nuplastikk Initiate (88) Aug 28, 2008 Wisconsin

Not the first time someone has tried to cash in with this marketing strategy, but being narcissistic, divisive, hypocritical.....sounds like 2021 could be the year it works out!

BigIronH, chrismattlin, DCH and 2 others like this.
  22. BigIronH

BigIronH Zealot (562) Oct 31, 2019 Michigan
    Society Trader

Or sexual orientation, or race, or any other factors beyond whether the product is good or not. I’m not spending hard earned money on anything unless it is deemed to be of the value asked for it to me. It’s a simple concept really. However, I could understand if someone was gay, they might see a reason to support other gay owned businesses. I can see if someone were a minority, they might see a reason to support other minority owned businesses. I personally don’t follow that logic, but if those businesses choose to identify themselves in a particular way because they think it will gain them a larger following or a group of people who identify with them because of one particular, irrelevant factor, that my friend is capitalism at work.

23. nesarebad

nesarebad Zealot (501) Feb 4, 2012 Massachusetts
    Trader

Found the people who clicked right to the comments section LOLOLOLOL

24. ZombiePlus

ZombiePlus Initiate (77) Mar 19, 2021 California

Seems like a cynical marketing ploy to me, but eh, live and let live.

25. billandsuz

I hear you.
    Oh No! The Gays have gotten to beer too! Someone please think of the children!

I believe a lot of folks do not want to drink this beer because they are afraid of catching the gay.
    It's ok though. You can buy it. For a friend. Honest.

So long as you don't actually think of things or heaven forbid be seen drinking Gay Beer it's all cool brah.

That's my observation.

26. KRug

KRug Meyvn (1,141) Aug 20, 2018 Massachusetts
    Society Trader

Cool bro, hopefully it drives you out completely :slight_smile:

27. KRug

Society Trader

This thread is gonna be a fun one, I can just tell

28. LarryV

LarryV Poo-Bah (2,413) Jun 13, 2001 Massachusetts
    Society

Hmmm, I think if this thread was started by a regular BA it would have been removed by now.

29. CB_Michigan

CB_Michigan Aspirant (207) Sep 4, 2014 Illinois
    Trader

Wouldn't a couple cans of dicks be more appropriate? (spoiler alert, they're delicious!)
    [​IMG]

30. Todd

Todd Founder (6,393) Aug 23, 1996 California
    Staff Moderator Fest Crew Society Trader

Definitely not. It's also a comments thread attached to an article.

31. Providence

Trader

What do you mean by social agenda? Do you think that posting links and discussions for ways that people can support brewers of color or brewers who are members of the LGBTQ community is a social agenda?

32. TheGreyBrewer

TheGreyBrewer Initiate (96) Mar 19, 2006 Colorado

I'm happy to support queer beer; more diversity in the industry can only make it stronger. That said, I wish the Queer Beer Fest lineup itself were a little more diverse. I don't really enjoy sours or IPAs, and 9/10 of the beers in there are one of those two.

Also, to all the people who obviously had trouble reading the opening paragraph of the article: do better.

33. Providence

Trader

Yes, people would be up in arms, because it would be ridiculous. It'd be like if I someone were doing a fundraiser for Jeff Bezos.

34. jmdrpi

jmdrpi Poo-Bah (7,475) Dec 11, 2008 Pennsylvania
    Society

How old are you?

Because every beer ad in the 1980's was basically the heterosexual equivalent of the Schmitts Gay Beer sketch. Which is why it was a good parody.

[​IMG]

#34 jmdrpi, Apr 21, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2021
  35. Grounder

Here comes the labeling.

NickThaFish likes this.
  36. KRug

Society Trader

How bold of you to say

kemoarps and algebeeric_topology like this.
  37. Grounder

Bold? You mean they don't imply that anyone that anyone who is not falling in line with the premise of the original piece is a homophobe?

38. KRug

Society Trader

Essentially, denial and rejection of concepts that are pro-LGBTQ+ is a big part of homophobia

woemad, jdell15, wehaveamap and 8 others like this.
  39. billandsuz

Hey, you win! Congratulations for not falling for any of that gay homo shit. Like if you disagree you are automatically defined by it. Am I right? It's a beer site, what the hell are we doing talking about this stuff anyway?

I too get uncomfortable whenever Gay Lesbian or Trans comes up. Eww.

Or maybe if you are uncomfortable or annoyed there is a reason.

Cheers

40. rgordon

rgordon Meyvn (1,140) Apr 26, 2012 North Carolina

Because the Earth is flat and Fauci is a political shill. Simple.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.