Overlooked pet peeves at bars (consumer standpoint)

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Dennoman, Nov 10, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RockAZ

RockAZ Disciple (338) Jan 6, 2009 Arizona

A lot of the nicer brew bars have pre-set taster sets/flights, but they usually have a pick your own group of 4-6. They are about an ounce-2oz, although some look like almost four at many places. I appreciate they clearly mark on their menu boards that some drafts are not available for flights (because of expense/rarity).

I rarely ask for a "free" sample any more, and all I want is to smell it and wash a little on my tongue to see if is at all close to being something I will enjoy. Odd funky experiments in mashup beer styles will get me to ask for a taster. So, my pet peeve to stay on topic? That a fine craft bar doesn't have a set price for a single pour of whatever glass size they use in their flights, they can only do 4,5,6 sample glasses - whatever their deal is and I only want one and am willing to pay for it, especially if it is one of the large pours of 4 oz.

2. BobConner

BobConner Initiate (0) Jun 12, 2013 New York

Please share...what is the name and locale of this Hop Mecca?

3. russpowell

russpowell Poo-Bah (10,419) May 24, 2005 Arkansas
    Society Trader

I've done this & honestly never noticed it degrading the beer quality, let alone oxidize it. Only with bottled beer. Yeah, it would be my preference to be asked too. But I would only take it as rude if there was attitude on display. Usually I just live it & ask for non-frosted next round. I have asked for a warmer glass when it looked like it was handed to me by Mr. Freeze.

4. russpowell

Society Trader

There are times when I've bailed at 5 minutes. I will take a server at their word if it is busy & actions & my eye test leads me to the conclusion I'm not getting BS'ed

yemenmocha likes this.
  5. russpowell

Society Trader

Gotcha, I'm still horrified at the amount of places I go in to that still do the frosted glass thing when their tap line-up is craft heavy/dominant.

6. markdrinksbeer

markdrinksbeer Initiate (0) Nov 14, 2013 Massachusetts

Oxided the hell out of it? What were you planning on doing with the beer, drinking it or cellaring it?

7. rgordon

rgordon Meyvn (1,084) Apr 26, 2012 North Carolina

Looking and staring are two completely different things. I remember when I first saw my soon to be wife, 32 years ago, and my breath was taken away. I looked and saw the one person that I wanted to see most. We were married within 2 months and it's the best "look" I ever took. Staring is a deviation from observation, a rude and intententional habit that would best be shed. Those that stare are either amazed or stupid, or both.

thatinvisibo likes this.
  8. rlcoffey

rlcoffey Initiate (0) Apr 20, 2004 Kentucky

it seems like the problem is parking meters and/or douchey neighborhoods not street parking. And, yeah, I asked. :sunglasses:

I go to a few places that require street parking but dont have any of those problems. The only "problem" is sometimes being 2 or 3 blocks away and having to walk.

9. yemenmocha

yemenmocha Poo-Bah (2,847) Jun 18, 2002 Arizona
    Society

Yes, or how about when it isn't very busy and you happen to take note of the servers that walk past you 4, 5, 6 times and then.... 5 minutes later they greet you and offer to take your drink order? Pet Peeve. It's like you don't exist those 4,5,6 passes and they assume you will not have noticed.

10. rgordon

They're in awe. It's not often that Walt Whitman shows up. Sorry, couldn't help it. Cheers, sir.

russpowell likes this.
  11. carteravebrew

carteravebrew Devotee (492) Jan 21, 2010 Colorado

Maybe "oxidized" isn't the right word, but I have experienced a beer tasting oxidized just from a rough pour from can/bottle to glass, particularly IPA's. When pouring a beer gently from the same six-pack, I have noticed that taste is minimized. But I have also been made aware that I am very sensitive to this flavor. YMMV

Nevertheless, I still say it would piss me off, "oxidized" beer or not.

12. BeerAssassin

BeerAssassin Initiate (0) Aug 17, 2012 Antarctica

You said it yourself "tipping is payment for good service". Tipping according to effort makes no sense. By your way of thinking as long as the 4th line players in the NHL try hard, they should make just as much money as Ovechkin. If the service is good you get a good tip, am I missing something here? If you spill my beer on my date, whether you meant to or not is irrelevant, you're not going to get a tip when you do.

13. rgordon

If everything was perfect up to the unfortunate human mistake of spilling a beer on your date, I guess that doesn't matter, it's irrelevant. Some of my best memories are of goof ups that people can overcome and later laugh about.

BobConner likes this.
  14. jae

jae Aspirant (213) Feb 21, 2010 Washington
    Trader

Not allowing me to take home bottle dregs from rare sours.

russpowell and BrettHead like this.
  15. TheBrewo

TheBrewo Initiate (0) Nov 11, 2010 New York

Ceilings that are too high, so much so that they absorb any homey ambiance in the place.

16. russpowell

Society Trader

I'll wave them down if I think they are ignoring me...

yemenmocha likes this.
  17. russpowell

Society Trader

Interesting, now you got me wanting to do an experiment tonight:grinning:

18. yemenmocha

yemenmocha Poo-Bah (2,847) Jun 18, 2002 Arizona
    Society

Well, it's in that span of time where you haven't been notified who your server is, and they know that you don't know, so they walk past you several times without worry because they know that you are unaware that they are going to be your server. So I don't necessarily give the wave unless I somehow know that the person pretending to not see me is actually going to be my server (maybe the hostess said the name and the tag is easy to read, for example).

19. mystrile

mystrile Initiate (0) Jun 22, 2013 New York

Totally understand, I actually own a business so don't have to tell me about those fees, and on top of that I try to use my Amex for all dining purchases. If I know I'm just getting one I will try to use cash, but if I don't happen to have it, well the card it is. And I do what I can to tip a buck or two on that drink in cash.

BobConner likes this.
  20. jefffalcone

jefffalcone Initiate (0) Nov 9, 2013 Massachusetts

If you loose the entitled attitude, realize that they are keeping a minimal kitchen open while they close down as a service to customers, and get to know the people at the places you go, you can probably usually get what you want. Basically places have a choice between closing the kitchen all together 30 minutes earlier or letting you get something while the kitchen staff closes down because it only makes sense to pay the staff until a certain time. if you had any sense you would realize late night menu is better than nothing

21. theconductor

theconductor Initiate (184) Nov 4, 2008 California

So lying about their kitchen hours is a "service to customers"? You may have just wont the argument of the year award.

22. markdrinksbeer

markdrinksbeer Initiate (0) Nov 14, 2013 Massachusetts

I believe you misunderstood his comment. He probably meant they are keeping a minimal kitchen open (while they are closing it down) as a service to the customer, opposed to just closing it down entirely.

As for the whole "closing down early issue", can you honestly tell me that most restaurants and bars in your area don't close down in some capacity just minutes before their signs say the kitchen is closed?

23. jefffalcone

must be very frustrating to live in a world where everything is black and white. reducing a menu and keeping a kitchen open isn't a lie in my world

24. jefffalcone

if you don't like the way a business operates spend your money somewhere else.

theconductor likes this.
  25. kdb150

kdb150 Devotee (452) Mar 8, 2012 Pennsylvania

That's stupid. Not tipping people for being human is a pretty terrible response. If a server spills beer on your date, offers to buy you a round and part of your dinner, apologizes profusely, and generally goes out of his/her way to make it right, then they've absolutely earned a tip. Good customer service doesn't mean not making mistakes, it means going out of your way to make it right when you do. Of course, if the spill was a result of a lack of care or something, then it might be a different story, but sometimes people drop and/or spill things, even when they're being careful.

JrGtr likes this.
  26. SP23

SP23 Initiate (64) Aug 21, 2008 California
    Trader

If I go to a bar I don't expect to get a beer in a minute or two (if I wanted a beer fast, I would drink at home)
    I don't know why people can't ignore the TVs if it bothers them
    Why do I need a knowledgeable person serving me beer. I know more than enough to make a beer selection
    Frosted glassware and dirty lines are the only things that will devalue my beer experience. (I don't let people bother me)
    If you are on BA or RB you should know more about the beer selection at any given establishment than a server. If not you have no excuse. (breweries excluded)

burgerpaw likes this.
  27. BeerAssassin

The fact that it was spilled and on someone no less, means that however careful she was being it wasn't careful enough. If you just spill my beer (or anything else really), but it doesn't get on me or whoever I'm with, you apologize and get me a new one right away, then I'd still give a tip.

28. BobConner

BobConner Initiate (0) Jun 12, 2013 New York

Im sorry my friend...I disagree...and Im not saying that 4th line players should get paid the same as a super star...but they still get paid...as do rookies who might not quite be playing up to their potential in their first game or two...and even super stars have bad games...or even good games where not every shot they take makes its way into the net.They dont get notes in their envelopes saying "not good enough tonight"...left by fans who felt that their performance was not up to their standards. If my server is doing their best to accommodate me and a female guest...and a spill occurs...I'd hope my lady friend was the kind of person that could laugh it off with me and move forward with the evening. If she was not...then perhaps the unfortunate lad who did the spilling did me a favor in letting me see the kind of person I was with...and perhaps an even larger tip would be in order. :slight_smile: As I have said, Ive been the guy who lives on tips...and I fancy myself as having been good at what I did...but Ive also been the guy who had that night or two when some things just dont seem to go right. As I said, you can usually tell the difference between someone being lazy or not caring and someone making the effort and just having a bad run of luck. In the end, we are all just human...not perfect...and in my time on this Earth, Ive come to appreciate the effort people make on my behalf...even if it isnt perfect every time.

If you are the exception to the rule...and are perfect at all things you do...then by all means...continue to set the standard to which we all should aspire. But if youve ever made a mistake at work and not offered to give your boss back part of your paycheck that week as a result...I'd say take a breath...lighten up...and remember that poor guy who spilled the beer probably feels pretty bad about it...he certainly didnt do it on purpose...and still has rent to pay.

#508 BobConner, Nov 22, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2013
    pieman396 likes this.
  29. theconductor

theconductor Initiate (184) Nov 4, 2008 California

If you were speaking of an advertised reduced menu at a certain time, then I retract my statement and apologize. Hours of operation are very black and white. If an establishment sometimes shuts down early then the sign should say 8-close or 8- around 10 or 8 - 10-ish. Being open 8-10 leaves no room for interpretation.

30. rgordon

I wish that Seinfeld was still doing his regular beautiful satire. The episode entitled, "The Spilled Drink (Soup)/NoTip Nazi". In my very humble estimation, I think the turbulence in the teapot is overwrought.

31. SanFranJake

SanFranJake Initiate (0) Nov 2, 2012 California
    Deactivated

People who drink shitty beer
    Frat boys bro'ing out
    Bad offerings on the jukebox or whatever they're called these days

32. Rback

Rback Initiate (131) Feb 26, 2012 New York

Why would what I drink concern you shitty beer or not ?

33. SanFranJake

Deactivated

Cuz it fucks with my vibe man. You getting jazzed about Blue Moon or Shock Top speaks to your douche-baggery.

yemenmocha likes this.
  34. Dracarys

Dracarys Initiate (0) May 28, 2013 Alabama

Your vibes are already fucked.

PumaSaysRawrr likes this.
  35. SanFranJake

Deactivated

Is Hater-ade on tap there?

36. CommanderOfAwesome

CommanderOfAwesome Devotee (413) Aug 30, 2012 California

Why would his pet peeves concern you?

37. BeerAssassin

I'm confused, what does this even mean?

38. seanchai

seanchai Champion (847) May 23, 2009 Virginia
    Society

My wife is like that. I finally trained her to appreciate craft beers but she only likes IPAs. If they have one she's had and enjoyed, she'll order that and ignore the 5 she hasn't tried. And will keep ordering the same beer. It drives a ticker like me crazy :grimacing:

39. seanchai

Society

Is this a euphemism?

40. seanchai

Society

Given he's from PA, I've got a hundred that says he's talking about Monk's Cafe in Philly.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.