Overlooked pet peeves at bars (consumer standpoint)

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Dennoman, Nov 10, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mystrile

mystrile Initiate (0) Jun 22, 2013 New York

Yeah maybe I'm just getting old now but seriously, make the bathroom experience a good one, if I am there for awhile it's going to get used more than once. If it's a one person room have a functioning lock and door, that's just bare bones.

timontheroad and Kerrie like this.
  2. jbakajust1

jbakajust1 Crusader (745) Aug 25, 2009 Oregon

A couple...

Restroom soap that doesn't wash completely clean in a few seconds under warm water. It is absurd when you go into a pub/bar that serves you a pour of a beer to be enjoyed by your nose that is held by your hand that reeks of baby vommit (yall know that soap) or lemons and chammomile. Just get the soap with low fragrance that washes clean easily.

Staff that don't know the difference between Bud Light and a Belgian Triple. If I am asking what your IPA tastes like, don't tell me that it is an IPA, or kinda like a Pale Ale but stronger and more bitter. Give me an informed answer on the beers you serve. This one is especially annoying at brew pubs where the menu doesn't really change other than 4 different seasonals and 6 one-offs in a year besides the 5-6 house beers. They don't have to be a cicerone, but have a working knowledge of the beer: our IPA is very dry with lots of fruit notes in the nose and some pine, or it is bitter sweet and malty with spicy earthy hops. Stop hiring college girls that don't know beer and then refusing to train them you unnamed brewpub in Downtown, and other brewpub in neighboring city!

smutty33 likes this.
  3. BostonHops

BostonHops Champion (872) Sep 21, 2011 Massachusetts

Why is it that sports and craft beer have to be mutually exclusive? I get the sentiment that flatscreens on every wall in every craft-centric bar comes off as overkill to a lot of people, and that's a reasonable option, but there also seems to be this misapprehension that every sports fan is some drunken, rowdy meathead always accompanied by his pack of bros. Many craft enthusiasts also happen to be into a variety of sports and would appreciate being able to catch some of a game while nursing a couple good brews.

4. FatBoyGotSwagger

FatBoyGotSwagger Poo-Bah (1,782) Apr 4, 2009 Pennsylvania
    Society

Well Norwegians are poor sports.

I would like to see some basic sports coverage in all better beer bars but its not gonna happen.

5. Drankin

Drankin Initiate (0) Nov 7, 2013 Massachusetts

When the bartender is pouring and spills half a glass worth into the reservoir. What a damn waste!

6. tsauce2

tsauce2 Zealot (562) Oct 12, 2011 Indiana
    Trader

Like it or not, it is the way things are now. Almost everyone has a smartphone, ipad, labtop, etc., and those things suck juice. I want bars to have power outlets so I don't have to listen to people whine about it, for one.

Also, the power people consume using their mobile devices is not going to put a bar under. Standard industry markup is 300% in a pint, and most places mark up more than that.

In today's electronic world, almost every place should offer this imo.

7. jivex5k

jivex5k Initiate (0) Apr 13, 2011 Florida

I used to have pet peeves...but I rarely go to bars that I dislike nowadays.
    Exorbitant markups I suppose, like $50.00 for a bottle of this years Zhukov or Black Ops.
    A lack of atmosphere, looking at you Yard House...but you know it is what it is.
    I can't expect every bar to be like cheers, but the 2 that are get most of my business.
    Oh, and taps that are always out for some reason. CJs is supposed to have 60 minute on tap, without fail it is empty every time I go.
    But it's close to work so I'll go for lunch once in a while, food is pretty good.
    I'm spoiled though, and well aware of it. The Funky Buddha Lounge is just...it's nirvana for me. Everyone working there is awesome, and the beer is out of this world. And the Sybarite Pig, while a bit expensive, is every bit as cool.

8. MostlyNorwegian

MostlyNorwegian Zealot (550) Feb 5, 2013 Illinois

Touche. Well played

I mean. I get that there should be some sort of screen option, because Norwegians also have the stoic streak, and I also having an option to see, or look at something while there's a beer in hand. But: it's a really sticky wicket to get into the trenches of saying to the girlfriend or guy calling, and asking with you going. "Yeah. (We'll have whatever ball game is season at the moment on.")

9. yemenmocha

yemenmocha Poo-Bah (2,847) Jun 18, 2002 Arizona
    Society

10. chinochino

chinochino Initiate (100) Jul 29, 2013 Washington

I am seeing more and more places making combo/usb charger outlets available to their customers

11. PumaSaysRawrr

PumaSaysRawrr Initiate (0) Mar 13, 2013 Pennsylvania

I just had this discussion last week. Most bars are built with the outlets positioned for the function of the bar. They don't have outlets that are within the customers reach so now the bartender is taking the risk of dropping the phone or spilling stuff on it. We aren't talking about 5 min either it takes a good hour to get any amount of charge on a dead phone. It becomes a liability issue more than anything. I only ever have an issue in NYC or when I fly somewhere because I have a car charger.
    They have those Go charge stations in some of the bars but they charge very slowly and you have to stand there... I would just like to add My book doesn't need charging:wink:

beertunes and russpowell like this.
  12. russpowell

russpowell Poo-Bah (10,419) May 24, 2005 Arkansas
    Society Trader

They got me too:grimacing:

13. Dracarys

Dracarys Initiate (0) May 28, 2013 Alabama

Music. I only ever go to bars with a group, in which case I want to be able to talk to people without having to scream over shitpop.

Providence likes this.
  14. STKPICR0720

STKPICR0720 Initiate (0) Mar 16, 2011 Alabama

Just my pet peeve but i hate ordering a great craft beer and having it put in a Bud Light pint glass. Please just get the appropriate glassware .

Providence likes this.
  15. tsauce2

tsauce2 Zealot (562) Oct 12, 2011 Indiana
    Trader

I am saying bars should have the outlets positioned on the customer side of the bar, by the purse/coat hooks...

16. USAF77

USAF77 Initiate (0) Oct 21, 2013 Illinois

Happens far to often in America. Even the darks are chilled as if they are Pilsners. Even in my German joints, when Ive asked them, they said "my customers just dont know better so I have to".

Tut and russpowell like this.
  17. Darwin553

Darwin553 Initiate (86) Jan 5, 2009 Australia

When I worked in a pub in London, I had an American regular come into the pub and stand at the bar (even when it was at its most busiest) and just read a book and drink his grolsch. I have to give him credit for being so resolute in the midst of the pushing and jiggling of the crowds that there was to get to the bar but I couldn't think of a place in a pub that was so inappropriate to read a book at.

azorie likes this.
  18. Brenden

Brenden Poo-Bah (3,885) Feb 25, 2008 Ohio
    Society Trader

It might not seem like a big deal to you, and probably a lot of people on here, but it is. This is not okay.

19. sefus12

sefus12 Aspirant (223) Sep 7, 2006 Virginia

Completely disagree with this. If a bar decides to have a power outlet for you to use, that's fine, but I don't think that's something that should ever be expected. If you assume you should have the ability to have one, why shouldn't everyone else? At that rate, is a bar required to have the same number of outlets as they can have people in the bar?

You go to bars to drink/eat/watch tv/listen to music/hang out with people. They are there to serve you beer/food/provide an atmosphere, not recharge your chosen electronic devices for you.

burgerpaw, cjgiant, beertunes and 3 others like this.
  20. Lordkrystic

Lordkrystic Initiate (0) Jul 18, 2012 Washington

Sometimes those "texts" are real time taplist updates, communication with beer distributors, or communication with management. They are often related to the job. At my place I expect my beertenders to text me all beer changes as they happen so I can keep my taplist up to date.

It's the only reason a cell phone/texting should ever be used in sight of course. Any other use, where patrons can see, is unacceptable.

21. azorie

azorie Champion (892) Mar 18, 2006 Florida

is the place so big you cannot just talk to them?

22. StarRanger

StarRanger Initiate (136) Nov 27, 2006 North Dakota

I used to be more worried about all beer served cold but when I learned that serving over 40 degrees leads to a lot more foaming of the beer out of the tap and a lower number of pints sold per keg, I can understand why they keep the taps serving between 36 and 40. Just don't give me a chilled/frosted glass along with the cold beer so I can get it warmed up to optimal temp more quickly.

jesskidden and russpowell like this.
  23. paulys55

paulys55 Zealot (502) Aug 2, 2010 Pennsylvania

I would think this would be better accomplished by a manager in the office. I'm not saying that the intention isn't good. I'm just saying that the moment an average customer is waiting for something or needs something and they see a 'beertender' texting is moment they decide to never return.

24. Lordkrystic

There's two of us that do tap changes, myself and the owner, we can't be there 24/7.

25. Lordkrystic

An office, now that sounds like a great idea. In our little establishment it's impossible to have an onsite office. Less than 1100 square feet.

We also pour between 130-160 different beers a month with 15 handles. Keg changes are pretty common.

There are unique circumstances for almost all places.

26. markdrinksbeer

markdrinksbeer Initiate (0) Nov 14, 2013 Massachusetts

A bar or pub that doesn't offer peanuts, popcorn, or pretzals.

27. BeerGreg

BeerGreg Disciple (366) May 17, 2013 Illinois
    Trader

Bowls of germs...sign me up!

burgerpaw and JohnnyJam like this.
  28. markdrinksbeer

markdrinksbeer Initiate (0) Nov 14, 2013 Massachusetts

Not always. Local bar near me constantly washes their wooden bowls, and has a huge bin of peanuts that you scoop yourself. No one elses fingers touch anything you eat.

29. paulys55

Bottom line is, most people will look at a server on a phone as a sign of bad service, regardless of the reason they are on the phone. Out of sight, out of mind. I find it hard to believe there isn't some place where they could go other than in plain sight of customers to make the call/txt.

30. Lordkrystic

And then some people will think ill of the bar when their taplist isn't updated. It really just goes to people making decisions based on shit they know nothing about. A ten second text and a quick word of "one second, updating the taplist" shouldn't put anyone out, and if it does, get the fuck out.

In an insanely fast paced environment it's sometimes just not feasible to go lock yourself in the bathroom for a moment, or go outside.

PA-Michigander likes this.
  31. nophunk

nophunk Aspirant (239) Nov 27, 2011 Louisiana
    Trader

Nah dude, you're defending mediocrity and a lack of respect for any type of job. If you are a server, it's your job to know what you have and not sound like an idiot. Case closed. Saying you have everything is fucking retarded, and no I obviously don't take it seriously and I'm not touched in the head lol.

32. russpowell

Society Trader

If I was rewiring my place I would take that factor into account. Otherwise it's either too costly or some half-assed, out of code solution. My 15 year old is that way, the second his phone gets below 50% battery life. he startsfreaking out. I just laugh & am glad my world isn't gonna end because my electronic play-pretty is down...

anticipation23 and burgerpaw like this.
  33. Providence

Providence Crusader (708) Feb 24, 2010 Rhode Island

I care too, a lot of people care.

There's no need to be ignorant.

chinochino and beertunes like this.
  34. Lordkrystic

We are building a new place and putting in USB and power outlets into the wall at most of the tables. It's a changing world, might as well change with it.

No way we can do that at our current spot for the exact reasons above.

35. russpowell

Society Trader

Not a germaphobe, but I would think small bowls or even paper bowls are the way to with barsnacks. Having said that, I don't see much of that anymore ( free snacks )

36. russpowell

Society Trader

Makes sense I you are building, at that point you are trying to set yourself up for the next 10-20 years. Having said that, it just makes me sad how many substitute the on-line for real life. Why go out with friends if you're gonna sit there staring at your phone...

Lordkrystic likes this.
  37. JohnnyJam

JohnnyJam Aspirant (228) Aug 23, 2012 Arizona

Peeves:
    1. Outdated beer menus,
    2. Poor service,
    3. Know-nothing servers, and short pours.
    Not necessarily in this order. Also, poor food.

38. paulys55

Maybe I'm alone (I doubt it) but I was actually wondering if you were serious. You're basically saying, "I'm a pig and proud of it." It's one thing to say, "I prefer female bartenders"...it's another to say, "I like to stare at female bartenders and won't tip male bartenders as well." I apologize if I misinterpreted your post.

39. nophunk

nophunk Aspirant (239) Nov 27, 2011 Louisiana
    Trader

As far as mine go, I think the #1 worst thing is when a bartender acts like they know everything about beer in a really douchey way. Especially since most of the time, once we start talking, I realize I know way more about beer than most bartenders.

Related and a close #2, really unpleasant bartenders. My friend insisted we go have a pint at Toronado in SF. Now I had been in cali for two and half weeks already and had a bunch of great beer, but he wanted me to check it out the last day there. I hear there are normally 2 bartenders on Saturday. We went in early afternoon and there was only 1. All the dude did was give off the most negative vibes ever. The service was slow and awful. Then when I thought he was able to take my drink order, he said the dude who just got there would do it. He was "off." If you're off, get from behind the bar bro.

Also, kind of tied in to the attitude thing - bars that make you feel you have to prove your worth. My local craft bar can be really "oh yeah you want that, do we know you" type. It probably took me about 2 years to be deemed worthy of Cantillon and the good stuff. I will say now I'm pretty friendly with everyone there, and I get treated very well so that's awesome... but I should've been treated better from day 1 simply because I was a paying customer.

russpowell likes this.
  40. Czar_chasm

Czar_chasm Initiate (176) Jun 20, 2012 Michigan
    Trader

But how do you feel about tv's?

chinochino, cjgiant and russpowell like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.