Overwhelmed?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by biggerboat58, Mar 5, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SCW

SCW Initiate (0) Jul 25, 2004 New York

Nothing wrong with gravitating towards brands you can trust and consistently great beer. That's incentive for beer producers to have the best quality control possible, instead of focusing on just flooding the market with new beers!

Jaycase likes this.
  2. scottbrew4u

scottbrew4u Initiate (0) Feb 2, 2005 Pennsylvania

Breath.
    One beer at a time.
    Be detached from the idea that you will try them all.
    Enjoy the process and the people you meet along the way!

3. JayWhitson

JayWhitson Crusader (794) Feb 25, 2015 Montana
    Trader

welcome to the club... I went balls out my fist real year getting into craft and trading and yes felt a bit overwhelmed at first with so many beers I wanted to seek out and try, did a bomber count this week and am sitting at 127... now I'm taking a couple months specifically to thin out the herd with no more shopping

VABA likes this.
  4. ebin6

ebin6 Initiate (0) Jun 11, 2009 California

Find a few breweries that you like. They should have the following qualities:
    - a solid base lineup that you can always default to
    - enough special releases to keep provide some surprises during the year
    - ideally, they'd be located within a hundred miles so you can visit them
    - they have a price point you're comfortable with
    - good distribution

Obviously, that's just what works for me. It's really all about whatever you want to get out of beer.

5. biggerboat58

biggerboat58 Initiate (0) Jan 21, 2015 New York

Really appreciate the advice guys. Gonna sit back and enjoy the ride and every beer that comes along the way! Cheers!

StoutElk_92 likes this.
  6. surfcaster

surfcaster Zealot (553) Apr 20, 2013 North Carolina
    Trader

I am overwhelmed at how often lately I have been underwhelmed.:astonished:

bubseymour likes this.
  7. RobDB

RobDB Initiate (0) Aug 31, 2009 New Jersey

I have been into craft for 5 or 6 years now and have gone through what OP is talking about. As others like Wesmantooth and Dr. Stiffington have already said, with so many new beers available all the time, it is always tempting to buy it up in fear that you may be missing out on the next best thing. I was in the mode a few years back where I was at the store every week making purchases. Now that I have unintentionally amassed a cellar of high ABV beers, I try to be patient now and only buy and try what peaks my eye. There is no one way to explore this great hobby. Buy and drink what you like and don't be afraid to try new beers and styles once and awhile to broaden your base. Take a deep breath and ride this great rollercoaster.

8. Dr_Bahmbay13

Dr_Bahmbay13 Devotee (457) Mar 10, 2013 Michigan

Drink what you like Brotha. Don't be overwhelmed, not worth it. half of the beers out there are just hype.

9. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (4,884) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Society

Once you eliminate the old beers the choices are not so overwhelming.:wink:

I kid, I kid (sort of).:rolling_eyes:

Cheers!

10. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (4,884) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Society

And some breweries do both with aplomb!

Cheers to you Shane (and the Sixpoint team)!!

11. Scott17Taylor

Scott17Taylor Initiate (0) Oct 28, 2013 Iowa

When you're just getting into beer, try as many as possible. Eventually you'll find what you like and don't like. Keep trying styles you don't and you'll come around on some. Yes I still can feel overwhelmed with selection, I don't want to miss out on anything, but I just try to find things I enjoy and don't really care about rarity anymore.

12. MisterB330

MisterB330 Initiate (0) Feb 8, 2015 New York

"Overwhelmed" huh??

Ever visit one of the Blockbuster movie rental places way back before the internet? Worst case is you're out 5$ and an hour or two of your time but we still manage.

13. Davey-C

Davey-C Initiate (0) Jan 9, 2016 New York

I'm kinda type-A and have found the structure of the BJCP to help. I joined a tasting group developed to help us prepare for their tasting exam and it's exposed me to a lot of new beer styles, and I've meet some great people who are more than happy to spread beer karma. We meet once a month and after 15 months will have sampled all 98 styles - which helps to give a frame of reference no matter what beer circles your running in. It could be worse - imagine becoming a wine master!!!

14. chipawayboy

chipawayboy Devotee (444) Oct 26, 2007 Massachusetts
    Trader

go local and fresh

donspublic likes this.
  15. lightman1

lightman1 Initiate (79) Oct 19, 2013 Arkansas
    Trader

About 50% of the beer that I buy are old proven favorites and the other 50% consist of beer that I've never had. This is the way that I deal with that problem. 12 pack sampler packs are a good way to try different beer. Another good approach is to attend any tastings offered in your area. The Homebrewers association host several in my area. Usually a cover charge of $10 or so will get you a taste of 6 or 8 beers and you get to keep a nice glass. Usually the regulars get to drink as much as they want!

gothedistance likes this.
  16. jssf

jssf Initiate (0) Dec 16, 2015 California

Personally, I'm overwhelmed by the number of beers that The Bruery makes. It's insane.

17. patpbr

patpbr Initiate (0) May 25, 2005 Ohio

I only feel slightly overwhelmed when I'm in a part of the country other then my own. Then I need to find and try only new beers. So it reminds me of what it was like when i first drinking craft beer. You can't try it all. You just need to explore, learn what you like, mix in new styles as you go.

18. TonyLema1

TonyLema1 Poo-Bah (1,883) Nov 19, 2008 South Carolina
    Society

Great problem to have!!!

StoutElk_92 likes this.
  19. fearfactory

fearfactory Aspirant (296) Aug 12, 2012 Massachusetts

I found drinking seasonal releases gave me access to not only many rotating styles to keep it interesting, but also the freshest version of that style as well. And a mixed sixer of any style is even better.

20. gothedistance

gothedistance Initiate (0) Jul 23, 2009 South Carolina

Oh man- I hear ya- I work in wholesale and sell both badass craft beer *and* wine (and a small artisanal spirits portfolio) and I need to make sure I'm up on all the styles, nuances, releases and awesome stories of all of the brewers I represent--- plus 2,000 wines with their related stories, vintage differences, blend changes- you name it! I am always studying and learning and keeping up as best I can! I love the ride though - every day and every beverage is different and it keeps me humble and thankful that I get to sell the most beautiful nectars on Earth.

donspublic likes this.
  21. boilermakerbrew

boilermakerbrew Initiate (0) Aug 13, 2010 Indiana

In this trying time of overwhelming choices just remember the reliable old mix-a-six shelf. Grab 3 new ones and 3 old standby's and you are good!

22. mstrcrwly

mstrcrwly Initiate (0) Dec 21, 2013 New York

Also..if you are near NYC..there are tons of craft beer bars that have beer flights where you get four 4 oz beers...for around $16..so if you're in the city ..try a few of those as well..will help broaden your beer horizon..Cheers!..Also..try Barrel Aged Narwhal..you won't be disappointed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.