Oxbow (2019)

Discussion in 'New England' started by M-Fox24, May 4, 2019.

1. tylerk88

tylerk88 Aspirant (261) Nov 17, 2013 Massachusetts
    Trader

Awesome! They sell soundboards of recent shows on their website, and then there's a whole archive of shows to be found if you google "Wilco Owl and Bear Archive." Let me know if you decide to do SSF in 2021!

hopley likes this.
  2. WolfsburgVW

WolfsburgVW Disciple (302) May 21, 2013 Maine
    Trader

Pretty sure they relabeled the barrel aged version of Oxtoberfest as Bobasa, which is still a blend of different vintages.

Davl22 and hopley like this.
  3. hopley

hopley Meyvn (1,386) Feb 24, 2010 Massachusetts
    Society Trader

Interesting, thanks, might be mislabeled on BA...hate to say it but found much better info on Untappd...

4. hopley

Society Trader

Cool man, Midnight Café was my source for Dead stuff and it included lots of Dylan, Van Morrison, Wilco, etc. but it's temporarily closed down...to keep it beer related just for the mods, I've finally reached the point with Oxbow that I just can't try everything they put out - especially given the plethora of fruit beers they released this summer (I'm up in Maine like once / month so I have plenty of opportunity...). Cheers!

tylerk88 likes this.
  5. Davl22

Davl22 Aspirant (260) Sep 27, 2011 New Hampshire
    Trader

I agree. They had so many draft only beers that I loved and always wished I could have in my fridge. Well done Oxbow.

mrmattosgood likes this.
  6. Janeinma

Janeinma Devotee (451) May 24, 2009 Massachusetts
    Trader

BOBASA Blend Of Barrel Aged Smoked Ales

hopley, Sheppard and mrmattosgood like this.
  7. matthewp

matthewp Initiate (189) Feb 27, 2015 Massachusetts
    Trader

Have any of you tried any beers from Amory's Tomb in Maynard? I finally got a chance to try one of their Saisons this week and was impressed by it. Not sure they are in Oxbow's league but interested to hear any feedback or to encourage people to seek them out since they are making a few Belgian beers.

8. Sheppard

Sheppard Meyvn (1,084) Mar 16, 2013 Virginia
    Trader

I've felt this way every time I've had their dry hopped saisons/grisettes. Like I love Grizacca and have wanted to be able to buy cans of it for some time. Glad they started canning it along with some other fantastic options. It would have been onerous to have to buy another growler, especially for a brewery I don't get up to enough.

Davl22 likes this.
  9. IGaveYouPower

IGaveYouPower Initiate (163) Dec 2, 2010 New York

Oxbow doing 4-packs of 16oz cans and 4-packs of 12oz bottles both at very reasonable price points is genuinely one of the best things to happen to beer in years. I passed on $20 16.9oz bottles every single time but now I'm picking up everything they do in the smaller formats. Spending $9 total on two cans of incredible farmouse >>>>>>> spending $20 on one bottle of incredible farmhouse.

mgp, hopley and Sheppard like this.
  10. jhavs

jhavs Poo-Bah (1,791) Apr 16, 2015 New Hampshire
    Society Trader

The 4 packs of Farmhouse Pale bottles are $10 here. Cans of Luppulo are $11.95at my grocery store. One of the best deals around. The 16.9 bottles are usually in the $15 range here. I usually buy them all too.

hopley likes this.
  11. IGaveYouPower

IGaveYouPower Initiate (163) Dec 2, 2010 New York

The 4-packs of 12oz bottles are $12 here in NY but still an absolute steal for the quality. Black Light is one of the best beers I've had this year, just absolutely stellar.

Luppulo, Grizacca, and some of the others are $14-16 a 4-pack here, but you're literally getting 300% more beer at that price point than you would with the old bottle-only format.

12. soheadyithurts

soheadyithurts Initiate (115) Jan 4, 2013 Massachusetts

Great people and great beers and Saison.

Had an excellent wet hopped brown ale from them.

matthewp and Sheppard like this.
  13. oldbean

oldbean Disciple (349) Jun 30, 2005 Massachusetts

What's weird is that the bottles are theoretically the more desirable beer, but something like that corn saison they just put out is waaaaaay more interesting than yet another probably good but definitely way too expensive bottle of something aged on apricots that I'm never going to buy.

14. mrmattosgood

mrmattosgood Initiate (129) Nov 6, 2010 Monaco
    Trader

Yes, I know I benefit from being <1 hour from the brewery, but it's tough not getting them down in the Merrimack Valley/So NH area. Driving up to Portland at this time of the year is tough (holiday season is killer on time and budget). While I could certainly purchase cans while out beer shopping, it's hard to excuse driving 65 minutes each way. Come on Oxbow, let's get some cans my way!

(Funny enough: The new can formats actually make me appreciate the bottled stuff more. I take more care to select the bottle because I'm only getting one now.)

15. jhavs

jhavs Poo-Bah (1,791) Apr 16, 2015 New Hampshire
    Society Trader

Odd, we get them in NH in the Upper Valley region. At the Coop there are four packs of cans and bottles and a variety of the other bottle options.

16. mrmattosgood

mrmattosgood Initiate (129) Nov 6, 2010 Monaco
    Trader

I've asked the place I most go to and their answer was, "Too expensive and our clientele isn't their market." Well, dude, I AM YOUR CLIENTELE. He gave me the same reasoning for not stocking the Definitive Kolsch, which I really like.

Sheppard and jhavs like this.
  17. hopley

Society Trader

Getting back to the smoked beer / blended Oxtoberfest conversation - has anyone tried Stoned Fruits? I'm oddly curious about this one as I have no idea how a smoked Octoberfest will mix with stone fruits...but there you go...continuing kudos to Oxbow for pushing the envelope...!

https://oxbowbeer.com/beer/stoned-fruits/

18. M-Fox24

M-Fox24 Savant (976) Mar 17, 2013 New Jersey
    Trader

New Draft: SEAWORTHY

Seaworthy is a Czech-style lager dry-hopped with Centennial and Amarillo. Brewed with pils and vienna malts, double decocted, and fermented with Czech lager yeast, this IPL was inspired by @OxbowBeer and @favabrews recent travels to the Czech Republic where they toured local hop fields, Moravian malt producers, and historic lager breweries. Gold in color with notes of orange peel, lemon zest, pine, and dough with a full, chewy body and semi-dry and bitter finish.

[​IMG]

Trull, Davl22 and jlordi12 like this.