pannepot 2011

Discussion in 'Cellaring / Aging Beer' started by crusian, May 17, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. crusian

crusian Crusader (745) May 14, 2010 Oregon
    Beer Trader

Just picked one up... It tastes... Off.
    Had this beer many times, love de struise... but its sour.
    I hate to claim infection, but... Yeah.

Anyone weigh in?
  2. crusian

Beer Trader

Drinking a 2012 panepeut. completely different. no sour at all...
  3. crusian

Beer Trader

I guess this got moved to the cellar thread... Which it shouldnt be. i just bought this. it is just released.
  4. Phobicsquirrel

Phobicsquirrel Devotee (482) Oct 1, 2013 Oregon
    Beer Trader

I was looking at it the other day. Sorry i can't say if there's something wrong.
  5. RDMII

RDMII Disciple (354) Apr 11, 2010 Georgia

One bad bottle out of thousands isn't an infection. Could have been damaged by heat/light too. GA no longer gets Struise but the last few Pannepots we sold last year all went to happy people, including myself. No one mentioned anything off.
  6. bkrefetz

bkrefetz Aspirant (200) Apr 19, 2008 New York
    Beer Trader

Had a 2010 panny reserve the other day, delicious.
  7. hopsputin

hopsputin Meyvn (1,179) Apr 1, 2012 New Jersey

I've had a 2011 within the last few months - no sour, pure deliciousness
  8. brianmandell

brianmandell Defender (620) Apr 3, 2011 California
    Beer Trader

Had a 2011 last month and it was great. 2013 is the latest pannepot released (as far as I know). I received some 2013 in trade but I don't think it has hit distro in the US yet.
  9. JasonLovesBeer

JasonLovesBeer Initiate (0) Mar 27, 2013 British Columbia (Canada)

Yeah, interesting. I had a 2011 about a week ago and no sourness. And funny about being moved, it is indeed a shelf beer
  10. CowsandBeer

CowsandBeer Devotee (486) Sep 24, 2012 Nebraska
    Beer Trader

I had one not too long ago, it wasn't sour but definitely had a fruity sweetness to the point of tartness.
  11. CerealKillerKP

CerealKillerKP Initiate (0) May 24, 2009 Kentucky

I had the same experience, COWSANDBEER
    CowsandBeer likes this.
  12. cfh64

cfh64 Crusader (771) Aug 16, 2005 Texas
    Premium Member Beer Trader

Sounds like your palate sucks Seth. Maybe you should exchange your taste buds with someone who knows what good beer tastes like. Lol (I'm honestly lol'ing to myself right now). Sorry, lol. I don't have anything to contribute but it does seem like I have had some batch variation with some of their other beers although its been awhile.
  13. edproctor

edproctor Initiate (0) Feb 25, 2011 California

Took the words right out of my mouth. Had one late 2013 and I got no sour.
  14. larryi86

larryi86 Poo-Bah (2,801) Apr 4, 2010 Delaware
    Premium Member Beer Trader

I had a 2011 about a month ago and it was a gusher, but didn't taste sour or infected to me.
  15. eatabagofbooger

eatabagofbooger Initiate (60) Mar 27, 2009 Oregon
    Beer Trader

This one, along with a select few other BSDAs/quads, have an off aroma/flavor to me that is slightly sour and kinda like vomit or sewage. Not in a generically bad way, but specifically like the smell of walking by an open septic tank or the taste of food coming back up. I'm not sure what it is, but the most recent example for me was Goths and Vandals. PFriem's BSDA has this going on as well. Some people are more (or differently) sensetive to certain flavors than others. A good example is the onion/garlic flavor that some people are genetically predisposed to get from Summit hops. Given that all three of these beers are highly regarded, I suspect that you and I are both picking up on something particular that others don't get. Just a guess, though
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.