Parabola!

Discussion in 'US - West' started by Erik-P, Mar 22, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Erik-P

Erik-P Savant (996) Aug 19, 2013 Canada (BC)

Will be heading upto Vancouver from Olympia today. Any sightings of Firestone Walker Parabola? Heard it may be a few more days as the brewery release was yesterday

2. SeaAle

SeaAle Disciple (334) Jun 24, 2012 Oregon

It hasn't hit Seattle yet.

Erik-P likes this.
  3. HoppySeb

HoppySeb Initiate (0) Jan 21, 2014 Washington

Last year it didn't hit Seattle until early April if I remember correctly.

Erik-P likes this.
  4. SeaAle

SeaAle Disciple (334) Jun 24, 2012 Oregon

Hopefully it won't be disappointing like this years Sucaba.

5. Moose90

Moose90 Initiate (0) Nov 25, 2012 Washington

It's going to be delivered this week or next. . . '12, '13, '14 are still on shelves too, if that makes any difference.

§ucaba has been disappointing for the most part, but that could just be my personal bias coming through.

6. elliot23

elliot23 Initiate (103) Jan 27, 2009 Maryland
    Trader

I'm on the lookout already, but yes April seams familiar. Has anyone opened a 2014 bottle recently? I still haven't tried it yet.

7. CaptainQ

CaptainQ Initiate (0) Feb 17, 2013 Washington

Yes, I liked 2013 better. Four Roses barrels.

cardinal_bruin_triton likes this.
  8. beefandbean22

beefandbean22 Aspirant (275) Oct 15, 2008 Oregon
    Trader

Saw Chuck's say they got it today

Erik-P likes this.
  9. Nietzsches_Horse

Nietzsches_Horse Initiate (0) May 2, 2014 Washington
    Deactivated

I heard from a trusted source that there was a problem of sorts (not sure what, exactly) with the blending that they typically do for Sucaba this year, which has resulted in the off-flavors for this year's batch. I don't believe Parabola will suffer the same fate.

10. TomTown

TomTown Initiate (0) Feb 7, 2011 Texas

I know this thread is about parabola, but what is this "off year for Sucaba" stuff I keep hearing about? Granted, I've only opened one bottle this year but it was delightful from my memory. How would you describe the "problem?"

sharpski likes this.
  11. Nietzsches_Horse

Deactivated

I only know what many others have said, and I, myself, have tasted. 2015 Sucaba was just "off" a bit--more medicinal, astringent, and syrupy, is the best I can say. I only have my memories of 2014 to compare it to, and that beer was great. This year's was certainly still drinkable, but less smooth and integrated, with some unpleasant notes that were a bit more like cough syrup than some nice, smooth, barrel-aged English Barleywine. Not sure why exactly, but someone told me the problem had to do with the blending this year. Apparently, Sucaba is 90% Sucaba and 10% some undisclosed beer. I guess somewhere in this process something went wrong.

12. sergeantstogie

sergeantstogie Initiate (0) Nov 16, 2010 Washington

$4.99 Dark Star FTW

sharpski likes this.
  13. Anaxagoris

Anaxagoris Initiate (0) Sep 14, 2014 Washington

What is this $4.99 Dark Star FTW?

14. carlhaynes

carlhaynes Initiate (61) Jun 8, 2013 Washington

Yep, picked up two bottles today at Chucks 85th.

15. crowellbw

crowellbw Aspirant (256) Dec 1, 2010 Washington

Speaking of chucks, there may have been a drop of some belgians today while I got a bottle of Parabola at 1 pm. Something krieky, of the Louis pepe variety.

16. jaredmull

jaredmull Initiate (80) Dec 26, 2013 Washington

Just got 2 bottles at the Lynnwood Whole foods. Had to ask. The beer guy was super awesome! Thx beer dude!

17. jarbroen

jarbroen Initiate (0) Jul 21, 2014 Washington

Whole foods beer guys are usually pretty awesome. I've met the ones at Redmond, Bellevue and UW and they are all great.
    I picked up 2 parabola yesterday and debating if I want more. There are so many good choices out there now that it's hard to spend my beer budget in one place.
    Especially since I keep hitting up Fremont and Black Raven all the time.

18. draheim

draheim Poo-Bah (3,088) Sep 18, 2010 Washington
    Society

Parabola is a perennial favorite, but I'm having a hard time working up enough energy to go out and find a few (2-4) bottles this year. Hopefully it will stick around for a little while so I can grab some when it's convenient. If not, as @jarbroen points out, we have lots of other good choices at our disposal.

19. jarbroen

jarbroen Initiate (0) Jul 21, 2014 Washington

Speaking of local options. I should roll by Fremont and get more first nail if they have it. Super yummy.

20. draheim

Society

They still had a bunch as of Sunday evening.

21. distantmantra

distantmantra Meyvn (1,201) May 23, 2011 Washington
    Trader

Louis ran off, but I also heard they had some gooeyoozey bottles.

crowellbw likes this.
  22. MicroFanatic

MicroFanatic Initiate (34) Mar 21, 2009 Washington

Loving this years Parabola!!! Lots of milk chocolate and coconut flavors. There is some heat at 14% but doesn't take away from its glory. 1 year on this will make it truly shine.

Erik-P likes this.
  23. Erik-P

Erik-P Savant (996) Aug 19, 2013 Canada (BC)

thanks all! gf scored some at total wine in Olympia today. excited to get my hands on it!

24. RedMedicine

RedMedicine Initiate (0) Jun 3, 2005 Oregon

It hit PDX btw, bottles at Zupans Belmont.

25. kevinrivers

kevinrivers Initiate (0) Nov 16, 2014 Washington

I said the same about last years and it fell off fiercely!

26. BourbonBarrelBeerBelly

BourbonBarrelBeerBelly Initiate (0) Feb 13, 2013 Washington

Damn, this one totally flew under my radar. Any left, anywhere?

27. PacNWDad

PacNWDad Initiate (0) Sep 24, 2011 Washington

I saw a bottle at Full Throttle on Wed.

28. Nietzsches_Horse

Deactivated

Not sure where you are, BB Beer Belly, but there are still some bottles at the Aurora PCC here in Seattle.

29. cherche

cherche Meyvn (1,186) Mar 27, 2013 Washington
    Trader

There were still a lot of bottle of Parabola (and Sucaba) at the Super Deli Mart in White Center last weekend...

30. Rutager

Rutager Initiate (0) Oct 18, 2010 Canada (BC)

Not sure if he's on here, but a huge thank you to the guy that gave me a bottle of Parabola out of his allotment while paying at Elizabeth Station in Bellingham today. Cheers, guy!! I was so stoked to get a bottle. :slight_smile:

MjBrewhouse likes this.
  31. BourbonBarrelBeerBelly

BourbonBarrelBeerBelly Initiate (0) Feb 13, 2013 Washington

Any left anywhere? Please?

32. Nietzsches_Horse

Deactivated

As I reported more than a week ago, there was some at the Greenlake Aurora PCC. There may still be some there, because it was still there a couple days ago. I'm sorry, but if you're so desperate for this beer, you should've been trying a little harder. Call your shops, try grocery stores which usually get FW vintage beers, and good luck.

33. kevinrivers

kevinrivers Initiate (0) Nov 16, 2014 Washington

I am working down in California temporarily. I have been able to grab quite a few down here - I am en route back there today. I can keep an eye out and bring one back to WA for you (I am in Seattle). Let me know if you're interested.

34. checktherhyme

checktherhyme Initiate (167) Apr 8, 2008 Washington

I used to snatch this stuff up like crazy, but I have lost motivation the past 2 years. We have so much comparable beer locally that it is making it tough to justify. I was drinking this years B'Bomb last night for $3 on tap (happy hour). This kind of stuff happens nearly every day in Spokane if you know how to use Tap Hunter, Tap Lister, and Twitter.

ballardbeer and HoppySeb like this.
  35. HoppySeb

Haven't seen any left on shelves around here but if memory serves me well last year there was a second wave of Parabola that hit a few shops weeks after the first cases got here. Call your regular shops and ask them, they'll probably be able to tell you by now. Good luck.

ballardbeer likes this.
  36. draheim

Society

Ah, the proverbial "second wave" that sometimes happens and sometimes doesn't, but never fails to give us a glimmer of hope.

HoppySeb likes this.
  37. zestd

zestd Disciple (378) Jan 18, 2013 Idaho

I checked the other day...four bottles of Sucaba and like eight Parabolas are turding it up here.

38. HoppySeb

For those still looking - there's like 6 bottles of Parabola at Chuck's CD up for grabs. They're in the counter by the bar.
    Cheers

39. ZachWolf

ZachWolf Initiate (0) Mar 26, 2015 California

There are just Parabola's sitting at Capital Market in Salem Oregon...
    just picked one up. I just made a thread asking about the stores selection and after going back more and more I realize it is very great. They have Abyss's, some of the bruery, good imports, Lagunitas barley wine etc.

Erik-P likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.