Parabola?

Discussion in 'Northwest' started by G_Z_a, Apr 7, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. G_Z_a

G_Z_a Initiate (131) Feb 2, 2015 Oregon

Anyone picked up some around Portland and tried it? Please provide details.

2. sharpski

sharpski Meyvn (1,167) Oct 11, 2010 Oregon
    Society Industry Trader

Are you looking for details specific to the 2016 release? I feel like this beer is pretty solid year-to-year, as you'd expect from FW, and the bourbon barrel imperial stout is pretty well-worn territory at this point. What are you looking for?

beertunes likes this.
  3. South2NW

South2NW Initiate (0) Nov 25, 2013 Oregon

It likely won't be up here for another week or 2. It was just released at the brewery on 4/2.

4. EdwardAbbey

EdwardAbbey Initiate (0) Jul 13, 2015 Washington

My apologies if you were just trying to put people off the scent, but unless FW tends to distribute to places further away first and then work their way back towards Paso Robles, I wouldn't wait another week or two to start looking for this in Oregon, and particularly not in those places where it tends to go quickly.

5. South2NW

Nope, not my intention at all. Sucaba took a while to make it here this year. Talked to my friend that is a buyer, and they aren't expecting their allotment until mid-late April.

6. MicroFanatic

MicroFanatic Initiate (50) Mar 21, 2009 Washington
    Trader

2016 Parabola is tasting great! Released yesterday at Total Wine. Strong barrel flavors that I love! Color wise it isn't as dark as the latest Abyss but tastes better IMO.

7. EdwardAbbey

I didn't think it was your intention, and it'd have been fine if it was, but one never knows...

Sucaba was also curiously late to my market (Seattle) this year, but Parabola has been very early. Just thought I should give a heads-up to my neighbors to the South. :slight_smile:

8. South2NW

Much appreciated! If I see it around within the next few days I'll be sure to post it here.

EdwardAbbey likes this.
  9. G_Z_a

Yeah, details on 2016 only. Still have a bottle of 2015. Really enjoyed that. It's always good though. Please post if spotted on tap or in bottle.

10. JasonJYoung

JasonJYoung Disciple (342) Jan 7, 2015 Washington
    Trader

@EdwardAbbey or anyone else, would you please say where I might find a single bottle around Seattle? I've tried the following places:
    Beer Junction
    Chucks
    Total Wine
    BevMo
    Thritway
    PCC
    Metro Market

I havent tried Whole Foods (forgot:slight_smile: Is it selling around the $25-30 price point?

11. t4h2c0

t4h2c0 Initiate (87) Jun 5, 2007 Washington

Less than $20

12. Aleforme

Aleforme Aspirant (202) Nov 26, 2008 Washington

Beer Junction had it on Tuesday. No idea if it's still there though. Looks like they had about 3 or 4 cases on the floor.

13. JasonJYoung

Trader

Thanks for info. Was at Beer Junction yesterday at the taps in front of store. Afterwards, I strolled to the back where the coolers are. Can't beleive I didnt see them! Probably walked right by the cases on floor unless they sold out (would be surprised). Less than $20 is definitely good news. Need to get my mind set off some of the prices of Deschutes Barrel aged stuff lately.

14. JouerAvecLeFeu

JouerAvecLeFeu Defender (654) Apr 17, 2015 Washington
    Trader

Keep an eye on Belmont Station's New Arrivals (updated on Tuesdays and Fridays). That will most likely be the first place to find it in PDX.

15. jtirpak22

jtirpak22 Aspirant (210) Aug 27, 2015 Washington
    Trader

Picked up from Total Wine in Tukwila as well as Chuck's central district location on Tuesday. They were in pretty low quantity at TW but Chuck's s had a fair amount left. I haven't seen it at Met Market or Whole Foods yet.

Also, Full Throttle and Bottlework's should be getting it and will likely post when they do (they always have in the past). I would pay attention to their social media streams.

If you're not opposed to heading south, I know that both 99 Bottles and Pint Defiance just got it in yesterday. But obviously I'd call first before making that trip.

16. t4h2c0

t4h2c0 Initiate (87) Jun 5, 2007 Washington

Some times they keep "rarer" beers behind the counter but Parabola is plentiful enough they prob would not keep it behind the counter, just ask one of the workers.
    For the past few years Parabola has sat on the shelves all over town for months.
    What you really want is Firestone Walker Parabajava (no bottles yet)...but it will be on tap in Seattle on Saturday April 9th at a certain bar, good luck!

17. jaredmull

jaredmull Initiate (78) Dec 26, 2013 Washington
    Trader

I just picked up 1 each at Lynnwood totalwine $16.99 and Whole foods $15.99. Both behind the counter. Limit 1. Good luck!

18. maltmaster420

maltmaster420 Disciple (312) Aug 17, 2005 Oregon

The truck is supposed to hit Portland today. If the distributor's warehouse and receiving crew is on the ball it may start dropping tomorrow, otherwise it'll be early next week.

JouerAvecLeFeu and South2NW like this.
  19. RedMedicine

RedMedicine Initiate (130) Jun 3, 2005 Oregon

It's usually not hard to get here in PDX, right? Bottles on the shelves at places like WF and Zupans with no limits.

20. John_M

John_M Poo-Bah (6,552) Oct 25, 2003 Oregon
    Moderator Society Trader

I know down here in Eugene, Parabola is often a shelf turd. It's not at all unusual to see bottles sitting on the shelf weeks and even months after the beer is released.

jbakajust1 likes this.
  21. jtirpak22

jtirpak22 Aspirant (210) Aug 27, 2015 Washington
    Trader

Nope, what I really want is Parabola, it's one of my favorite beers every year. Parabajava on the other hand has been underwhelming the two times I've had it (draft and bottle). I still have another bottle of it and I likely will go have it again this weekend, but if the first two times are any indication I'd rather be drinking Coffee KDS. Who am I kidding? I'd always rather be drinking Coffee KDS!

I don't recall bottles sitting around here in Seattle last year, but maybe I just wasn't looking.

EdwardAbbey, vurt and sharpski like this.
  22. EdwardAbbey

Did you have any luck today? I'll message you some suggestions if not...

23. G_Z_a

JALF, I check Belmont's website multiple times a week. I know I can always count on them and sure enough, it sounds like they'll be getting some in soon. I picked up a bottle there last year for I think around $17. Was hoping for info on some other off the beaten path locations that may have it for around the same price or cheaper and with no limits although maybe no one wants to share that info. Would also like to try it on tap to decide if I want to crack one now or save for later. I guess I'll do some investigating on my own. It's no BCBS, so I'm sure I'll find it somewhere.

24. JasonJYoung

Trader

Thanks everyone with the Seattle suggestions. As of Thursday night, I scored two and look forward to trying Parabola for the first time. I'm definitely intrigued with the Parajava and will be scouring the Internet and social media for that location.

25. JasonJYoung

Trader

t h2c0, found the Saturday spot. Less than 2 miles from where I live in Greenwood.

jtirpak22 likes this.
  26. John_M

John_M Poo-Bah (6,552) Oct 25, 2003 Oregon
    Moderator Society Trader

As always, give Arch Bridge taphouse a call. They typically are well supplied and everything is well priced. If you're out that way, you could swing by the West Linn MofC as well (no more than a mile away on hiway 43). Between the two locations, you should be able to swim in bottles of Parabola.

27. Travis999

Travis999 Initiate (47) Jul 23, 2014 Oregon

Beer Mongers has a few cases for sale right now.

28. RedMedicine

2/per limit at Belmont station @ $17 or so. I passed.

29. derftron

derftron Disciple (372) Feb 8, 2012 Oregon

better than BCBS in my opinion

30. South2NW

As stated above, at Belmont now. MOC should have theirs available next Friday. Should be available all around Portland this week. This years batch is really tasty IMO.

31. MicroFanatic

MicroFanatic Initiate (50) Mar 21, 2009 Washington
    Trader

Aromas of coconut cream pie in a dark chocolate crust. Really tasty!

32. heyhiggi

heyhiggi Initiate (66) Sep 6, 2014 Oregon
    Trader

Missed out at Belmont looking as well

33. South2NW

Bridgetown Beerhouse posted that they had some. Not sure if they're still in stock. Picked up my 2 from Belmont last week.

34. heyhiggi

heyhiggi Initiate (66) Sep 6, 2014 Oregon
    Trader

Picked up at John's

35. RedMedicine

Try Whole Foods and/or Zupans.

Edit: nvm, just saw you found some.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.