Paste Magazine reviews Milkshake IPAs

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by cid71, Aug 29, 2018.

1. cid71

cid71 Initiate (95) Mar 2, 2009 New Jersey

tillmac62, augiecarton and thebeers like this.
  2. M-Fox24

M-Fox24 Crusader (759) Mar 17, 2013 New Jersey
    Trader

Understand the tastings rely on “breweries that choose to participate,” but one might expect such a tasting to include the architect behind the style via “locally available purchases and the occasional trade”

redeemer, RobNewton and thebeers like this.
  3. MNAle

MNAle Savant (956) Sep 6, 2011 Minnesota

Here's a quote that just invites you to add these beers to your shopping list:

"...when done well, some of these milkshake IPAs are actually sort of great."

Talk about damning with faint praise!

Jaycase, sharpski, 5thOhio and 12 others like this.
  4. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (3,618) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Premium

“The other, more unfortunate, thing to say about milkshake IPA is that many of them are just plain bad—syrupy, saccharine sweet monstrosities that have been completely dominated by fruit or spice additions to the point where they’re close to undrinkable. Vanilla is often a key culprit, and we’ve tasted more than one milkshake IPA that had all the seeming of a melted Yankee Candle. If we’re being reminded of Southern Tier Pumking while drinking a milkshake IPA, that’s a very bad sign.”

I was tempted to stop reading the article after this paragraph.

Cheers!

5. Lucular

Lucular Poo-Bah (1,701) Jun 20, 2014 Maryland
    Trader

Plus they limited entries to one per brewery and ended up with just 27 entries. They just did a tasting of 324(!) IPAs - it's as though they were afraid of having to actually drink the stuff!

sharpski, jakecattleco and Squire like this.
  6. Squire

Squire Poo-Bah (1,943) Jul 16, 2015 Mississippi
    Premium Trader

When done well most beer styles can approach greatness, except of course for smoked beer which the Devil created for his own use.

7. Squire

Premium Trader

Does smack of timidness doesn't it.

IPAExpert69 and Lucular like this.
  8. JackHorzempa

Premium

As they stated in the article:

“The other, more unfortunate, thing to say about milkshake IPA is that many of them are just plain bad..."

Cheers!

sharpski, Lucular and sculls65 like this.
  9. Squire

Premium Trader

I wonder when Paste secures their own samples do they then ask the Brewers for permission to include those in the taste test.

drtth likes this.
  10. Daveshek28

Daveshek28 Initiate (173) Nov 10, 2015 New York

In Missy Elliot Tone- "these milkshakes bring the hazebros to the lines", their life is better than yours, there life is better than yours. Ok that was terrible, I apologize. I'd like to see them get their hands on the $25 four packs of tired hands shakes, or the cream/fruit/pastry IPAs from Decadent Ales.

11. Lahey

Lahey Disciple (313) Nov 12, 2016 Michigan

I've tried two of the style. The first had peach flavor but still retained some bitterness to remind you it's an ipa. The second one was a creamy muddled mess with no real direction. Calling it a fruit beer would have been probably more accurate than ipa taste-wise.

ericwo likes this.
  12. JackHorzempa

Premium

There are plenty of traders/mules that would be willing to re-sell Tired Hands Shakes to Paste Magazine but the price would be well north of 25 bucks!!

Cheers!

P.S. I was at Tired Hands earlier today for lunch. In today's release there is a beer that cost $27 a four-pack.

13. Daveshek28

Daveshek28 Initiate (173) Nov 10, 2015 New York

Crazy, $27. But if they continue to get lines and sell out of them quickly at that price, then why not charge it...

LeRose likes this.
  14. Squire

Premium Trader

God love 'em, have to admire their persistence. On the other hand for $27.00 I can get a 30 pack of Miller High Life. Oh, wait, I can get two.

15. Dragginballs76

Dragginballs76 Poo-Bah (1,859) Nov 13, 2015 South Carolina
    Premium Trader

This explains why I have not had a milkshake IPA that I liked, seems like I have not had any of the good ones!!!

ElijahSF and BayAreaJoe like this.
  16. Lahey

Lahey Disciple (313) Nov 12, 2016 Michigan

Holy shit, good for them. Thank god I don't drink the new ipa styles much. My wife likes NEIPAs (not milkshake), but she won't spend that much. She cringes at 20 dollar 4 packs as it is, rarely gets them

17. Livyatan1996

Livyatan1996 Aspirant (256) Sep 29, 2017 Missouri

didn't even realize Little Big Hop had lactose but it sure is tasty. seems pretty silly to even do this article with so little but gotta get the bros to click eh

redeemer, Jimmy_Kneecaps and Lahey like this.
  18. thebeers

thebeers Poo-Bah (2,121) Sep 10, 2014 Pennsylvania
    Premium Trader

Think this is the first Paste list where I haven't heard of a single one of the beers included.

19. BayAreaJoe

BayAreaJoe Zealot (512) Nov 23, 2017 California
    Trader

I've tried quite a few and still haven't found one that I really liked a lot and would purchase again. Most over-hyped new category that never lives up to the billing.

ericwo, Lucular and spongebob2 like this.
  20. Amendm

Amendm Aspirant (283) Jun 7, 2018 Rhode Island
    Premium

I’m surprised that none of the winners were from New England.
    Next, they should review orange haze bombs.

dcotom likes this.
  21. meefmoff

meefmoff Zealot (520) Jul 6, 2014 Massachusetts
    Premium

I've never had a milkshake IPA, but I have had a couple of Grimm's lactose-fruit-dry hopped Berlinner Weisse "pop" thingies. Despite rolling my eyes a bit at the description on the label I have to admit they were pretty tasty, at least as a one and done.

Coronaeus, Daveshek28 and Amendm like this.
  22. meefmoff

Premium

We're not really ground zero for these though are we? There's not many on the shelves here that I've seen and the only brewery I can think of near me that's leaning into them even a bit is Mystic. Neither Trillium nor Treehouse makes one to my knowledge (though I could certainly be wrong on that).

I thought Pennsylvania and to a lesser extent New York were the hotspot for these, so I was surprised to see such a wide number of states represented.

#22 meefmoff, Aug 29, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2018
    Amendm likes this.
  23. Squire

Premium Trader

Think this is the first Paste list I didn't bother to read.

24. Amendm

Premium

Try some Lord Hobo, Boomsauce and Virtuoso look like OJ with a head.

25. meefmoff

Premium

I'm confused. Neither of those have lactose in them and therefore would not be eligible for this taste test.

jakecattleco and Amendm like this.
  26. Amendm

Premium

"Next, they should review orange haze bombs."

I was thinking of an entirely new review.

27. meefmoff

Premium

Ah got ya! Sorry, we were talking past each other apparently. I was meaning to say I didn't think we had many milkshakes up here in NE. You are right that we definitely do not lack for orange haze bombs! :slight_smile:

jakecattleco and Amendm like this.
  28. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poo-Bah (6,037) Sep 14, 2002 Wyoming
    Premium

I had the Cloud Catcher and it probably got high marks because it didn't taste like it was a true Milkshake.

29. darktronica

darktronica Poo-Bah (1,735) Aug 29, 2014 Indiana
    Premium Trader

That's not even a Missy Elliot song; it was Kelis.

30. Oktoberfiesta

Oktoberfiesta Aspirant (235) Nov 16, 2013 New Mexico

Admittedly, I haven't tried many lactose riddled IPAs that werent also sours. Or just sours with lactose added in as well. Both of those combos worked extremely well , to the point I wonder if you can even find a good balance with milk sugar sweetness without also adding in the tartness. Looking like that may be a no for the majority

31. FatBoyGotSwagger

FatBoyGotSwagger Meyvn (1,075) Apr 4, 2009 Pennsylvania

I keep walking past all the Decadent stuff in the beer shop and it seems like everyone else is. Not going to pay $20 a 4 pack. I wonder how long it will take till they stop ordering it. It has to be costly for the distributor to comp the account for hundreds of dollars of dusty milkshakes.

32. HorseheadsHophead

HorseheadsHophead Meyvn (1,392) Sep 15, 2014 New York

I'm so sick of $20+ four packs from all the new breweries lately. I complained of this problem months ago in some thread and it's only getting worse. If things continue to go in this direction, beer will soon become only a luxury beverage.

33. FatBoyGotSwagger

FatBoyGotSwagger Meyvn (1,075) Apr 4, 2009 Pennsylvania

Beer will remain the same.. these high priced options will soon cease to exist because the people that buy them do it for one time ticks/reviews and are not loyal to the brands.

#33 FatBoyGotSwagger, Aug 30, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2018
  34. TheGent

TheGent Meyvn (1,228) Jun 29, 2010 New Jersey
    Premium Trader

Bitterbill and augiecarton like this.
  35. cavedave

cavedave Poo-Bah (2,415) Mar 12, 2009 New York
    Trader

If you are curious for a good example of the style try to get some Tired Hands stuff, and DEFINITELY continue to walk past the awful crap from Decadent Ales.

36. thebeers

thebeers Poo-Bah (2,121) Sep 10, 2014 Pennsylvania
    Premium Trader

Tired Hands is generally very tasty. As for pricing, their Cherry Cheesecake Double IPA Milkshake this week was $25/4-pack and they also had a non-shake Triple IPA for $27/4-pack.

FatBoyGotSwagger and cavedave like this.
  37. augiecarton

augiecarton Initiate (164) Oct 22, 2010 New Jersey
    Industry

it isn't, in fact that was the joke. it was clear in spite of lactose and oats and it tasted like a fruit without adding that fruit. of course there is the fact that it's named after a study saying no one knows what they know, so it is a little funny it showed up in there... i don't know

38. augiecarton

Industry

:slight_smile:

TheGent likes this.
  39. NYR-Zuuuuc

NYR-Zuuuuc Aspirant (288) Jan 1, 2013 Connecticut

This is the one style that I just can't get behind. I haven't had anything that I even remotely liked. That said, I haven't had anything from Tired Hands. I am going to have to hold off final judgement till I try one of theirs. Sounds to me that they are in a different class then most others....looking forward to trying one (I think)....

cavedave likes this.
  40. augiecarton

Industry

not sure how dunning ended up in but when i saw this i reached out and explained the beer's idea being other ways to handle what we think we know about fruit/hops and oats and lactose and that it was kind of the anti milk shake/ne ipa they took it right out. so they are responsive