Paying for Beer

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by AMW, Dec 6, 2017.

1. AMW

AMW Initiate (68) Jan 13, 2013 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

Am I crazy in trying to pay for beer with cash, particularly with local craft brewers? For me, it's not too much trouble to hit up an ATM before visiting a brewery, but it I feel like paying with cash gives breweries a little bit extra since they don't have to deal with transaction fees from credit card companies, square or whoever else they use. No ideal what the fee structures are, but I'd imagine it's in the low single digits per transaction and nothing compared to the margin erosion a brewery gets from distributors.

For the brewers, do you even prefer cash since you'll now have to handle and count it at the end of the day. Is it easier on accounting and finance to have some report that gets generated from electronic transactions?

2. drtth

drtth Poo-Bah (3,378) Nov 25, 2007 Pennsylvania

Agreed. I buy my beer in cash for some of the reasons you mention and the fact that I pay much more attention and keep better track of my weekly expenses using cash.

Another advantage of using cash for beer at the tap room is that any tips to a server go directly from my pocket to theirs without any paperwork, etc. being involved.

#2 drtth, Dec 6, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2017
  3. Jonc

Jonc Initiate (42) Feb 12, 2007 Missouri
    Beer Trader

Safer, you don't have to hand over a credit card to anyone.

4. surfcaster

surfcaster Champion (816) Apr 20, 2013 North Carolina
    Premium Member Beer Trader

My favorite place might be the last place on earth that is 100% honor system. You pay at the end--tell them what you had.

I prefer cash for all the reasons stated but 100% of tips there go to the server no matter what. Cash is nice.

Also, when perusing the statement, there are a few less questions. :wink:

5. Scott17Taylor

Scott17Taylor Meyvn (1,300) Oct 28, 2013 Iowa
    Beer Trader

I pay for everything I can with cash, it helps me not overspend.

6. jesskidden

jesskidden Meyvn (1,258) Aug 10, 2005 New Jersey

Yeah, "Paying for Beer" is my least favorite aspect of the hobby, for sure. :rolling_eyes:

tobelerone, ShanePB, eppCOS and 17 others like this.
  7. IGaveYouPower

IGaveYouPower Initiate (162) Dec 2, 2010 New York

Average CC/debit processing fee is 2-3%. Upwards of 4% w/ AMEX.

At this point, any business that knows what its doing has fully accounted for those fees in its business plan, pricing structure and overall budget. And I don't think you're hurting any brewery or shop you patronize by using card; there are plenty of people like me that don't carry cash and likely wouldn't go to your spot if it was cash-only, so you're retaining business you'd have otherwise lost.

But, yes, you're probably doing these places at least a small favor when using cash.

dcotom, teal, meefmoff and 5 others like this.
  8. Dan411

Dan411 Initiate (150) Mar 20, 2017 Missouri

I try to pay for every beer related transaction in cash. Helps me budget and limit myself. Also, there is something about taking that cash out of the ATM. Much more of a reality than handing someone plastic. Only had one credit card purchase recently when I got a notification that my local bottle shop had CBS.

9. dennis3951

dennis3951 Champion (825) Mar 6, 2008 New Jersey
    Beer Trader

I'm sure small breweries prefer that you pay with cash. It's much easier to run your business at a "loss" if there is no record of a sale made. The same thing is true at a local pizza or take out place.

lester619 and Jaycase like this.
  10. TonyLema1

TonyLema1 Poo-Bah (1,656) Nov 19, 2008 South Carolina

I’m old school, I always carry cash

11. PorterPro125

PorterPro125 Champion (802) Jan 19, 2013 New Brunswick (Canada)

Maybe I should start using more cash... lol!

12. Sound_Explorer

Sound_Explorer Meyvn (1,274) Dec 29, 2013 Washington

I prefer to pay with card and tip with bills. Being in banking I know there are charges for getting cash/change on hand and, depending on the type of accounts they have, making certain types/number of deposits/transactions.

I know these costs may not be as high as card swipes but I feel it's one less thing for the business to worry about (getting a safe/money bag, paying someone to drop it off, etc).

Someone mentioned already that they probably factored the cost of using cards into their fixed costs and operational costs anyway. Card is just my preference.

eppCOS, dcotom, TongoRad and 2 others like this.
  13. Squire

Squire Poo-Bah (1,838) Jul 16, 2015 Mississippi

I pay with card and tip with cash.

14. Urk1127

Urk1127 Meyvn (1,337) Jul 2, 2014 New Jersey
    Beer Trader

Some places run with the card for a tab but you can still opt out on cash which i do.

scream likes this.
  15. ypsifly

ypsifly Meyvn (1,029) Sep 22, 2004 Michigan

Paying with cash makes it harder for your wife to know how much you are actually spending on beer.....

tobelerone, jimmyfishkin, BSW and 6 others like this.
  16. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poo-Bah (5,703) Sep 14, 2002 Wyoming

Watch out for counterfeit bills. Quite the many have been spotted in little old Casper so I can just imagine.

Me, usually card and cash tip.

Harrison8 likes this.
  17. Mothergoose03

Mothergoose03 Poo-Bah (2,149) May 30, 2005 Michigan
    Premium Member

If my tab, including tip, is over $20, I'll use credit card; otherwise is cash.

beerophysicist likes this.
  18. Bitterbill

Edit: Debit card.

19. Harrison8

Harrison8 Poo-Bah (2,316) Dec 6, 2015 Missouri

I try to pay with cash whenever possible, although it doesn't always happen. If I don't have enough cash to cover the drink and tip, I'll no tip on the receipt and give the server a cash tip, especially if they've been helpful. Figure it's something tangible in their pocket as a reward for their service.

Bitterbill likes this.
  20. readyski

readyski Aspirant (244) Jun 4, 2005 California
    Beer Trader

As a small service business owner I actually prefer checks since there are no fees. I also take cards but that is 3.5% charge. Cash is least desirable since no trail and greatest risk of theft. But I agree it makes sense for tips at a pub - heck might even go unreported/tax free by the server :rolling_eyes:

21. TongoRad

TongoRad Poo-Bah (2,307) Jun 3, 2004 New Jersey

There ain't no such thing as a free beer! :sunglasses:

Mothergoose03, dcotom, scream and 2 others like this.
  22. TongoRad

TongoRad Poo-Bah (2,307) Jun 3, 2004 New Jersey

Plus you get points, or miles, or whatever you card gives you for every transaction.

dcotom and AZBeerDude72 like this.
  23. Realsambo

Realsambo Initiate (167) Apr 15, 2016 Idaho
    Beer Trader

At jester king releases they have the front of the line split into cash and card mini lines. For this reason I would always grab cash on the way so I could get mine slightly quicker and jump in the draft line. Then after I got my bottles if anything else needed buying, I use my card.

24. jvgoor3786

jvgoor3786 Meyvn (1,478) May 28, 2015 Arkansas

Cash for me. They can thank Dave Ramsey for that.

25. Giantspace

Giantspace Defender (670) Dec 22, 2011 Pennsylvania

I pay with a card for almost everything. It's a nice cash back.
    Being a former server I do bring cash on the rare night out to tip with. The server gets to get paid right away and not have to wait to get paid like done place that work with cards and I hope they don't report it.

I don't have an atm card so cash is a hassle for me to get. If PayPal was an option I could do that as a gift for the server as well.

Enjoy

26. TheGent

TheGent Savant (980) Jun 29, 2010 New Jersey

I've never thought about it for the reasons you've stated but I'd do it going forward for those reasons.

I've attempted this for all beer purchases regardless of location as an effort to stay on budget but that hasn't worked well for me lately.

27. AZBeerDude72

AZBeerDude72 Meyvn (1,253) Jun 10, 2016 Arizona

I was just going to post that same thing and saw your post. I always pay with a card for my main bill then give the person helping me a cash tip. I feel better about this since I know they got the cash in hand and all.
    :slight_smile:

TongoRad, Bitterbill and Squire like this.
  28. Steve_Studnuts

Steve_Studnuts Disciple (308) Apr 21, 2015 Pennsylvania

I don't carry cash (just find it to be a hassle), but I always wonder if what I tip on card ever actually makes it to the servers. Maybe I should adopt this "pay with card/ tip with cash" thing.

Bitterbill likes this.
  29. Squire

Squire Poo-Bah (1,838) Jul 16, 2015 Mississippi

I always carry cash, well, not enough to buy a car or something but enough. I've found cash and a smile will get you much further than a smile alone.

30. Bitterbill

Probably but I have "heard " that if the til comes out short at the end of a shift..well, you know.

31. bbtkd

bbtkd Poo-Bah (1,922) Sep 20, 2015 South Dakota
    Premium Member

You're overthinking this. They're selling beer and you can pay with cash, checks (as if), plastic, or live chickens. Who cares.

32. teal

teal Initiate (77) May 3, 2012 Wisconsin

I'm a "pay with card, tip in cash" kind of guy and I never get cash from an ATM where I have to pay a fee. I'm not spending money to get my own money.

Card works like cash but it's harder for staff to steal that $$ from the place they work. Cash I tip - I leave it up to them then to decide how much they want to claim or not.

I really try not to go to places where I know they pool tips. Personal preference and I rarely get exceptional service at such places.

33. scream

scream Zealot (535) Dec 6, 2014 Wisconsin

I usually pay by check at the local store and a few times a year bring them something as a thanks/tip

TongoRad likes this.
  34. pjbear05

pjbear05 Aspirant (202) May 28, 2008 Florida
    Beer Trader

I carry cash, but paying method depends. If I'm at TW or somewhere else buying for home consumption, I'll use the debit card.

OTOH if I'm in an establishment drinking, like a bar or brewpub, I may give them the card to start a tab, but when it's time to settle up, it's straight cash, homey. Jeez, if Mrs. Bear were to see the amounts I drop at Funky Buddha and Khoffner on the debit card account, she'd shit a brick sideways!

35. CB_Michigan

CB_Michigan Aspirant (210) Sep 4, 2014 Illinois
    Beer Trader

I rarely have any cash on me. I've gotten so used to paying with my phone that getting my card out at a store or lunch place seems like a hassle. The place I frequent most is totally cashless. It's not in a bad neighborhood, but it is an industrial corridor and the owner doesn't want the risk of getting robbed. Also said that it's much easier to reconcile things at the end of the day. Just far less hassle overall, even though he's had to turn away an occasional customer here and there.

36. invertalon

invertalon Devotee (435) Jan 27, 2009 Ohio
    Beer Trader

Use card whenever possible. Hell, I get cash back with CC's so why wouldn't I? Breweries should have accounted for the fees in their business plan.

37. GetMeAnIPA

GetMeAnIPA Zealot (580) Mar 28, 2009 California
    Beer Trader

Exactly! I like to split it 50/50. Cash and card. My wife thinks beer is a low cost hobby :wink:

38. EnronCFO

EnronCFO Zealot (520) Mar 29, 2007 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

If places included tax & deposit, I’d gladly pay cash. But that never happens. 4-packs are always $xx.20 and 6/12-packs are $xx.99+deposit, so I pay with a card to avoid having random change in my pocket.

This is true for many things. DD charges $0.99 for a donut, pre-tax. I’d gladly just hand them a buck, but instead I pay $1.06 or whatever with a card. Common sense never seems to win out.

39. Mothergoose03

Mothergoose03 Poo-Bah (2,149) May 30, 2005 Michigan
    Premium Member

Yes there is, but that damn sign always says "tomorrow." :stuck_out_tongue:

scream, surfcaster and TongoRad like this.
  40. tone77

tone77 Poo-Bah (5,110) May 20, 2009 Pennsylvania

I pay with cash exclusively. I don't even own a credit card, and my ATM card is for online purchases only.

cavedave and scream like this.