PDX hotels for beer vacation

Discussion in 'Northwest' started by beertunes, Jul 29, 2013.

1. beertunes

beertunes Sep 24, 2007 Washington
    Beer Trader

I'm thinking of grabbing the Bolt Bus down to PDX for a couple days, sometime in the next few weeks. Hotel suggestions? My needs are simple, clean sheets, clean towels, hot water in the shower, and a reasonable level of security (I just don't want crackheads knocking on the door all night). BTW, Bolt Bus stops on SW Salmon St. between 5th & 6th.

2. kscaldef

kscaldef Jun 11, 2010 Oregon
    Beer Trader

What's your budget? Unfortunately, this is the most expensive time of year for the downtown hotels.

beertunes likes this.
  3. BuckeyeOne

BuckeyeOne Mar 9, 2008 Washington

I'm assuming you don't want anything like Hotel Modera: http://hotelmodera.com. It's awesome but pricey. It's 3 blocks from Higgins Restaurant --- my favorite restaurant in Portland, though.

beertunes likes this.
  4. kscaldef

kscaldef Jun 11, 2010 Oregon
    Beer Trader

I haven't had any reason to price things this year, but last year at this time, the modera was about the cheapest hotel in downtown except for shared bathroom rooms at the Ace.

If that's more than you want to spend, there's a couple places like the Red Lion by the convention center that might be cheaper.

Really, it would probably be easier if you get on Orbitz or wherever, find some possibilities in your price range, then come back and ask us if they are decent.

beertunes likes this.
  5. Reidrover

Reidrover Jan 14, 2003 Oregon

I used to get the Waterfront Marriot often when i was married..you can usually get some good deals on Priceline etc

beertunes likes this.
  6. Reidrover

beertunes likes this.
  7. Reidrover

beertunes likes this.
  8. honkduh

honkduh Jun 2, 2011 Oregon
    Beer Trader

Viking Motel on Interstate, $65.00 a night and half a mile from Hop and Vine, Saraveza and right on the max line so you can be downtown in 10 minutes. You're also less than 2 miles from Bridgetown beerhouse, Tin Bucket, HUB Bike Bar, Lompoc and Breakside brewery.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/viking-motel-portland

4.5 stars on yelp and trip advisor so it's gotta be safe, right? :)

beertunes likes this.
  9. beertunes

Beer Trader

Trying to be on a budget, thus Bolt instead of flying. I love to fly. As long as I can be resonably certain that the room won't get broken into and my stuff jacked, I'm OK with a bit of sketchiness. Should I maybe wait until after labor day?

10. beertunes

Beer Trader

I'm not a big believer in Yelp, but that sounds exactly like what I'm looking for. Pretty much only gonna be in the room to sleep and shower, since I'd only be in town for about 24 hours.

11. maltmaster420

maltmaster420 Aug 17, 2005 Oregon
    Beer Trader

There's a Motel 6 right next to Hopworks. It's about 20-25 minutes via bus #9 to/from downtown.

beertunes likes this.
  12. exitmusic00

exitmusic00 Mar 15, 2010 Oregon

Eastside Lodge is on Burnside between 9th & 10th...looks kinda like a prison from the outside and it's overpriced even at about $75/night, but the location is money. A 20 minute (or less) walk will get you downtown, HotD, The Commons or Lucky Lab Hawthorne. ~25 mins to Apex & BeerMongers, less than 10 to Cascade. It's also 2 blocks from Burnside Brewing. :)

http://www.eastsidelodge.com/index.html

beertunes likes this.
  13. digita7693

digita7693 Jan 19, 2010 Germany
    Beer Trader

can also try airbnb.com

14. jpbebeau

jpbebeau Sep 11, 2011 Washington
    Subscriber Beer Trader

We ended up staying here when our reservations at another place were mistakenly made for another weekend.

If your intent is to get drunk so you don't care where you're sleeping, I agree it's a great location. We walked to Cascade, HOTD, Sassy's, and then all the way out to Horse Brass and back.

Pretty creepy place, though. :)

distantmantra likes this.
  15. sanford_and_son

sanford_and_son Jul 23, 2012 Washington

Yep bingo. I stayed here back in May and it was perfect for my lil' beercation. I'd go so far as to say it was surprisingly clean and quiet.

beertunes likes this.
  16. jmgrub

jmgrub Nov 20, 2010 California

I am coming up to Portland with my girlfriend and I just booked two nights at Hotel DeLuxe (http://www.hoteldeluxeportland.com/) for this coming Sunday and Monday. With the Twitter follower 15% discount (hell fuckin yeah), it ended up somewhere around $150/night before tax. Just go to their Twitter to access the discount.

17. xnicknj

xnicknj May 25, 2009 Pennsylvania

This is where I stayed with my fiancee and it was perfect for us, I'd def recommend it. You're also literally right next to Max and bus stops so getting around is super easy and affordable.

jmgrub likes this.
  • About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • Return of the Belgian Beer Fest

BeerAdvocate Brings its All-Belgian Fest to Portland, Maine on September 17, 2016. Tickets are on sale now.

Learn More
  • Get the Mag

Become a BeerAdvocate magazine print subscriber today.

Subscribe