PDX SE Growler Guys is "closing"

Discussion in 'US - West' started by John_M, Feb 3, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. John_M

John_M Poo-Bah (7,356) Oct 25, 2003 Oregon
    Moderator Society Trader

In what appears to be an ongoing theme so far this year, there's more bad news in the PNW. Just learned that Branden (owner of GG) has decided not to renew his lease for the place. Not sure of the exact date, but sounds like they'll be closing their doors some time in April/May. I believe this is a franchise GG, so it's conceivable the outpost may remain a GG, but at the very least it will be under new management (with I assume new employees/staff).

2. NWer

NWer Champion (801) Mar 10, 2009 Washington

Sad to hear that. That's the one GG I would make it to when in PDX and you could always seem to find N3 there.

TaborTime likes this.
  3. thuey

thuey Defender (639) Nov 13, 2015 California
    Society

When we visited a couple years back, the SE GG was pretty good to us. Wish them the best from here on out.

TaborTime and vurt like this.
  4. vurt

vurt Poo-Bah (1,749) Apr 11, 2004 Oregon
    Society

I saw this in Brendan's Facebook feed not too long ago.

A great loss, IMHO. But it sounds like they are choosing to do it rather than being forced into it, so that's a good thing.

I will miss that Growler Guys. A lot.

5. DefenCorps

DefenCorps Poo-Bah (6,366) Jan 18, 2007 Oregon
    Society Trader

I think this sums up how I feel::poop:

I wish them all the best, they've always been a spectacular place to grab a beer or three.

TaborTime and vurt like this.
  6. blackcloud

blackcloud Disciple (372) Apr 28, 2012 Alaska
    Trader

nooooooooooo

TaborTime likes this.
  7. TaborTime

TaborTime Initiate (0) Dec 10, 2013 Oregon

Thanks to everyone for the kind words. Truly appreciated.

As John alluded to we have declined our lease extension which would have locked us in for another five years. With the rather sizeable increase in rent and current craft beer market it was just too much of a gamble for us to roll the dice on another five years.

It's been a great run and have been fortunate enough to meet many BA'ers who have become great customers and true friends. As of this moment we 99% plan on having our grand finale party on March 2nd which will give us some to sell equipment, clear the space, etc,. We hope to see a bunch of familiar faces over the next month and on March 2nd for a proper sendoff.

Huge thanks to everyone for their support over the years. I'm happy to update the forum once we have our last day of business set in stone.

Cheers,
    Brendan

8. TaborTime

Just a quick update if anyone is curious-

Our last official day of business will be Sunday, March 3rd. I'll be behind the bar to hopefully kick any remaining kegs that day. But our grand finale-farewell- last shibang celebration will be Saturday, March 2nd.

We won't tap any super rare whalez but instead will have around 10 beers which represent our personal favorites beers or breweries from the past five years.

Hope to see lots of familiar faces!

Cheers,
    Brendan

9. John_M

Moderator Society Trader

Usual hours on Saturday Brendan?

10. TaborTime

Yes. Noon-10pm though I expect with the positive response we've had thus far we will be loitering well past 10.

11. John_M

Moderator Society Trader

Heading over in a couple of minutes. Hard to believe this will be the last time. That just feels really weird.

12. vurt

vurt Poo-Bah (1,749) Apr 11, 2004 Oregon
    Society

I hear ya, man. Mrs. vurt and I were hoping to stop by before heading up to Spirit of 77 to watch the Timbers match, but it isn't going to happen. We'll go pay our respects after the match.

13. John_M

Moderator Society Trader

Nice crowd and still a good selection of beer on tap. Lot of bottle share stuff as well. Had a delish glass of 2012 alesmith old knumbskulll.

14. TaborTime

A year later..time flies.

Thanks to all of you on BA who supported our efforts right from the get go. It was a great five years.

Cheers!
    Brendan

pudgym29, kemoarps, John_M and 7 others like this.
  15. John_M

Moderator Society Trader

IMHO, our local beer community continues to be the poorer for not having your place around Brendan. Like most everyone else, I've moved on and have found other venues to visit, but none of them have really taken the place of your taphouse. Hope you and your family are continuing to do well in Hood River.

#15 John_M, Mar 4, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2020
    kemoarps, TaborTime, NWer and 2 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.