Peach Pale Ale - NZ hops?

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by jmdrpi, Aug 29, 2016.

1. jmdrpi

jmdrpi Poo-Bah (4,916) Dec 11, 2008 Pennsylvania

This weekend I harvested a big bucket worth of peaches from one of our fruit trees, and plan on using some of the peaches to brew a beer.

I'm not into sours, wheat beers, or saisons, which are usually the first choices for fruit additions. So I'm thinking about doing a hoppy pale ale and use fruity hops and yeast that will help accentuate the mild peach flavor/aroma.
    I've read that typically you need a pound or two of peaches per gallon to have any chance of the flavor coming through, so I plan to use probably ~7.5 pounds added in secondary, for a 5 gallon batch.

I'm thinking a basic pale ale grain bill of
    11 lb Pale Malt
    0.5 lb Crystal 20
    0.5 lb Carapils
    And using London Ale III (Wyeast 1318) yeast.

I was thinking of using one or more of the New Zealand hop varieties, as some of them are described as being fruity. But I've never used any of them before - so any suggestions?

corbmoster likes this.
  2. scurvy311

scurvy311 Disciple (351) Dec 3, 2005 Louisiana

I would start here. http://www.nzhops.co.nz/hop-varieties

I've used quite a few NZ hops but I don't have my notes in front of me. I'll post some suggestions when I get home.

From the chart, these look interesting:
    Pacific Gem
    Pacific Jade
    Rakau

Motueka - I have used this recently. Floral like Hallertau but if you have ever smelt magnolia blossoms, it smells and taste like they were steeped in the beer.

#2 scurvy311, Aug 29, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2016
    jmdrpi and Hogue2112 like this.
  3. jmdrpi

Thanks - from what I previously read I was considering Rakau or Wai-iti.

4. Hogue2112

Hogue2112 Initiate (159) Apr 7, 2016 Ohio
    Beer Trader

I really like these hops. I use them in my Lemon-Lime Hefe, adds a real punch of lemon in this beer!

corbmoster likes this.
  5. scurvy311

I've used waiiti. It is subtle. Consider using double

6. scurvy311

Pacific gem and throw in some black pepper corn to give a subtle black pepper note would make for a very complementary flavor for both the hop and the peaches. I'd go light on the bittering hops and leave some residual sweetness to the beer.

7. jmdrpi

So not as bold as US fruity hops like Citra or Amarillo?

8. scurvy311

Not even close. I used it 2-3 years ago in a wit. It was not nearly as expected from reading the description when you buy it.

jmdrpi likes this.
  9. MarkGP

MarkGP Initiate (128) Jan 28, 2015 Rhode Island

I have made a few peach pale ales some sour, some brett, some sacch. I have experimented with several hop varieties and have found Nelson Sauvin and Falconer's Flight to work the best with all versions for making the peach flavor come through. I would also suggest closer to 2 pounds per gallon and/or adding some apricot.

jmdrpi likes this.
  10. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (3,545) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Premium Member

I have brewed with hops that did not match the advertised descriptions many times. Needless to say but there are lots of variables when it comes to achieved hop flavor/aroma:

· Year to year harvest variations

· Farm to farm variations

· When were the hops harvested (early vs. late harvesting)

· How were the hops handled/stored

· How were the hops used in the brewing process, amounts and when added

· Beer style

· Personal palate variations

· Etc.

I have come to the point that I take published flavor descriptions of hop varieties with a big grain of salt.

Cheers!

scurvy311 likes this.
  11. jmdrpi

I don't think my LHBS has Falconer's Flight available but maybe I can use a combo of Citra, Amarillo, and Simcoe.

Did you typically add in secondary? How did you prep?

I was thinking about just de-pitting them and blending them up in a food processor with some vodka to sanitize.

12. MarkGP

Cut them up and freeze to break down cell structure. Then mash or puree and add in primary or secondary.

13. jmdrpi

No sanitation? I'm concerned about wild yeasts on the fresh fruit.

14. JackHorzempa

Premium Member

jmdrpi likes this.
  15. DavidlovesCBC

DavidlovesCBC Initiate (167) Jan 25, 2014 Florida
    Beer Trader

Not NZ but Aussie Galaxy will make those peaches POP

jmdrpi likes this.
  16. MarkGP

As the article states freezing kills off mostly everything. I have never sanitized fruit and have never gotten an infection but if you don't feel that the method described is safe then feel free to sanitize them.

17. JackHorzempa

Premium Member

The other option to sanitize peaches is to pasteurize them.

Cheers!

18. jmdrpi

I'm not set on NZ hops, it was just my initial idea. I saw Galaxy mentioned on another site.

Have you brewed a similar beer?

19. DavidlovesCBC

DavidlovesCBC Initiate (167) Jan 25, 2014 Florida
    Beer Trader

I haven't brewed with peaches, but I have brewed a Galaxy APA with WLP644. I got a lot of stone fruit from the Galaxy. I bitter with magnum, flameout, whirlpool, and dry hopped with galaxy. Probably my best beer to date

20. jmdrpi

so my LHBS was out of Galaxy, so on the advice of the guys at the shop I went with Azacca, and Imperial Yeast A04 Barbarian which is supposed to produce stone fruit esters.

I bittered to 40 IBU with some homegrown Nugget hops, used 1 oz Azacca at flameout, and will dry hop with 1 oz of Azacca after the peaches. I prepped about 8 pounds of peaches for adding in secondary.

I'll let y'all know how it turns out.

DavidlovesCBC, prock180 and scurvy311 like this.
  21. ryane

ryane Initiate (161) Nov 21, 2007 Washington

freezing will not kill any bacteria at all, if it did the world around us would be sterile after a cold winter

All it does is slow the bugs down substantially, that combined with the alcoholic environment and a whole mess of yeast in the beer makes a fairly inhospitable environment to be thrown into

22. Junkforadam

Junkforadam Aspirant (248) Jan 12, 2015 Oklahoma
    Beer Trader

I did a SMaSH Galaxy IPA fermented with Vermont ale yeast from gigayeast. Without any peach purée, I got some pretty good peach aroma going on!
    Maybe use some Vermont Ale Yeast!

jmdrpi and scurvy311 like this.
  23. BrewNC

BrewNC Initiate (105) May 11, 2018

So I hate to be an old thread resurrector, but I stumbled across this post from Google researching Peach IPA suggestions. As there was no update, I was wondering how it turned out jmdrpi?

24. jmdrpi

The flavor aroma and the flavor of the beer was subtle but nice. The hops were restrained enough that the fruit flavor seemed to come through in the taste. With the aroma, it was tough to tell how much each of the the yeast/hops/fruit components were contributing.

But something I would not do again was that I pureed the frozen prepped homegrown peaches before I added in secondary. That caused issues with the clarity of the beer and beer loss in the carboy. I left behind a couple of inches of sediment when I racked to my corny keg. After carbonation I had to draw off probably 5+ pints of beer before it was clear enough to not look gross. The first couple were sludge. Even then it was extremely hazy with the tiny chunks of peach floating around. You couldn't feel them drinking it but it was a bit off-putting.

But overall people who tried it really liked it.

EvenMoreJesus likes this.
  25. BrewNC

Thanks so much for getting back to me! BYO suggested 2 lbs per gallon when using peaches so I'm looking at going with ~10 lbs for a 5.5 gallon batch. I think I'm also going to go with a mixture of El Dorado and Amarillo, the description of pine on Azacca has me a bit shy'ed away from it at this moment.

So would you recommend maybe secondary'ing the beer with the puree, but placing the puree in a muslin bag to prevent the chunkiness?

26. EvenMoreJesus

EvenMoreJesus Savant (914) Jun 8, 2017 Pennsylvania
    Premium Member

Yeah . . . either juice them at home or use this:

[​IMG]

27. BrewNC

Ohhh that's a great idea! I'm sure i can get a cheap juicer at walmart.

EvenMoreJesus likes this.
  28. EvenMoreJesus

EvenMoreJesus Savant (914) Jun 8, 2017 Pennsylvania
    Premium Member

IMO, using juice is WAY easier and far superior than using whole fruit. Not everyone thinks this way, though.

29. BoardwalkBock

BoardwalkBock Zealot (512) Aug 18, 2012 New York
    Beer Trader

Zythos
    Nelson
    Wai-iti