Pearl Jam at Wrigley - pre show drinking

Discussion in 'Great Lakes' started by jrnyc, Jul 7, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jrnyc

jrnyc Champion (877) Mar 21, 2010 New York
    Beer Trader

Anyone going to this show? I plan on doing some drinking before the show, was thinking of Revolution. Interested in people's ideas on other spots. Should be an epic show!

2. weakness33

weakness33 Initiate (0) Jul 1, 2011 Illinois

Goose Island is right around the corner from the stadium but expect carloads of folks there. Pipeworks and Revolution are about 5 mile away both are fantastic.

3. sbxx

sbxx Initiate (0) Mar 21, 2011 Illinois

Throw a rock and you'll hit a good spot to drink.

4. fastenoughforphish

fastenoughforphish Aspirant (218) Nov 14, 2012 Illinois
    Beer Trader

I'll be too busy drinking before the Phish show.

mnphish likes this.
  5. nickMB

nickMB Disciple (310) Nov 17, 2009 Illinois

I think you mean throw a rock and you'll find a spot to drink, I'm not sure there is much 'good' in wrigleyville. Dryhop is new and about a 6 minute walk from the park.

6. DarkMagneto

DarkMagneto Initiate (176) Apr 17, 2007 Illinois
    Beer Trader

I like Sheffields before a Cubs game. Tap selection is awesome and it's just south enough of the park that most D-Bags don't go there.

funhog and gill897 like this.
  7. PHBoiler

PHBoiler Meyvn (1,305) Jan 14, 2013 Illinois
    Beer Trader

It is going to be absolutely epic. I'm planning to leave the immediate area for the pregame. I'm thinking about hitting Fountainhead and checking out Half Acre taproom. That should be enough to keep me occupied until cabbing it over around 5ish. May hit Beer Bistro North at some point as those folks always treat us well. Also, they've played an entire live Pearl Jam bootleg while I was in there on a Saturday once. That's good people right there.

8. PHBoiler

Beer Trader

Scratch the Fountainhead idea. Not open til 4.

9. tinypyramids

tinypyramids Initiate (0) Jul 19, 2012 Illinois

pretty much this. the only worthwhile spots in wrigleyville afaik are sheffield's and goose.

pipeworks does not have a taproom pipeworks does not have a taproom pipeworks does not have a taproom pipeworks does not have a taproom pipeworks does not have a taproom pipeworks does not have a taproom pipeworks does not have a taproom pipeworks does not have a taproom pipeworks does not have a taproom pipeworks does not have a taproom pipeworks does not have a taproom pipeworks does not have a taproom pipeworks does not have a taproom pipeworks does not have a taproom pipeworks does not have a taproom pipeworks does not have a taproom pipeworks does not have a taproom pipeworks does not have a taproom pipeworks does not have a taproom pipeworks does not have a taproom pipeworks does not have a taproom pipeworks does not have a taproom pipeworks does not have a taproom pipeworks does not have a taproom pipeworks does not have a taproom

how many times does this need to be repeated in this forum?

10. BrianBo

BrianBo Initiate (0) Feb 2, 2012 Illinois
    Beer Trader

So what you are saying is that special backstage passes to the PJ show will be on sale in the Pipeworks Taproom?

Best bet for that day will be something within walking distance or something just off the red/brown lines. Trying to take a bus down Belmont or Addison that day will be a wasted venture.

tinypyramids likes this.
  11. jackndan

jackndan Meyvn (1,083) Feb 25, 2002 Illinois

I usually try to hit Hop Leaf, it is right down (up?) the Red Line about 5 or 6 stops.

PHBoiler likes this.
  12. BeerGreg

BeerGreg Devotee (443) May 17, 2013 Illinois
    Beer Trader

I'll be there. Not sure where we're headed before the show. Plan on getting to the city early, though. Probably noonish.

13. nickMB

You had a great spot to insert a life wasted reference in there and missed it.

BrianBo likes this.
  14. gill897

gill897 Initiate (0) Apr 18, 2008 Illinois

Here are my rec's. Gingerman is my go to prior to Cubs games/shows at Metro.

Best selection in the area (less than 1 mile) is easily Sheffield's. Half Acre is also probably worth a stop if you're from out of town. Would also highly rec'd Northdown.

Crawling Distance
    Goose Island Wrigleyville
    Gingerman

Walking Distance
    Sheffields
    Guthrie's Tavern

Running Distance
    Long Room
    Northdown
    Dry Hop

you walk super fast.

Dad_of_Rad likes this.
  15. BrianBo

BrianBo Initiate (0) Feb 2, 2012 Illinois
    Beer Trader

You can add the following to running distance: Green Lady. It is a block away from Northdown and great place for good craft and cork dart boards. Actually both of those are easy trips considering you could jump on the brownline at Paulina back towards Belmont (either walk from there or transfer to red line for one stop north).

Plenty of options, but if you don't know where to go just follow the strangest tribe, take a bottle, drink it down and pass it around.

edit: I'll be at the show. Haven't figured out where to go ahead of the show yet. Nothing but bad beer sold inside the park.

Dad_of_Rad likes this.
  16. nickMB

Dry hop is essentially broadway & Belmont. Walk two blocks to Clark and four block to the park.... About a 10 minute walk. I know where an obese nation but I always assumed less then a mile was walking distance.

17. PHBoiler

Beer Trader

Northdown appears to be my Fountainhead replacement since they aren't open until 4PM. Looks like a great spot to finally checkout. Love Hopleaf, but I go there before every concert at Aragon/Riv. Got to spread the wealth.

18. nucmedmario

nucmedmario Initiate (173) Sep 1, 2010 Illinois
    Beer Trader

i like going to merkle's whenever i need to go to wrigleyville. they have all the chicago locals like revolution, half acre and three floyds. and on the plus side it's usually not crowded with bros. there's also a gastro pub called blokes & birds that's a couple blocks south that has a decent beer list.

19. jermy

jermy Disciple (300) Mar 30, 2013 Illinois
    Beer Trader

Longroom & northdown

gill897 likes this.
  20. gill897

gill897 Initiate (0) Apr 18, 2008 Illinois

you started at 6 and are now at 10. i'll keep working at it and we'll get to 20 minutes. we'll get there.

21. da_bulls

da_bulls Initiate (0) Jun 7, 2012 Illinois
    Beer Trader

Don't forget Uncommon Ground at Grace and Clark.

I might be there Friday and Saturday, though I'm not the biggest fan, I hear they are playing really good this summer tour and I think it would be a good time.

22. michman

michman Initiate (0) Oct 14, 2005 Illinois

go to southport lanes. it is about a 10 min walk from wrigley. southport and henderson. right near the brown line. 32 taps are constantly changing. they have as good to better selection imo to sheffields. if your interested in a bite to eat they offer more than passable bar fare. i know plenty of people going to the show and many will be there before and after the concert. im sure ill be around there as well as is my local local lol.

23. tjfilippo

tjfilippo Initiate (63) Jan 28, 2008 Illinois
    Beer Trader

I'll be at the show as well. Will probably go to the Sheffields beer garden before the show! Thinking about heading down on Thursday to pick up my 10 club tix and hitting up a few places.

24. fastenoughforphish

fastenoughforphish Aspirant (218) Nov 14, 2012 Illinois
    Beer Trader

I will also be going Friday and Saturday. They are playing very well four shows in and already some very good jams have been played.

25. jrnyc

Beer Trader

What's the best way to get from Revolution brewpub to Wrigley. I went up there yesterday from downtown, jumping on blue line as easy. Can I easily get a cab from Revolution to Wrigley? How would I do it by subway? Would I have to go south on blue back to lake and then get red up to Wrigley?

Revolution was really good, enjoyed the double fist and Eugene. Anti hero was solid.

26. bgrzywa2

bgrzywa2 Initiate (86) Nov 8, 2011 Illinois
    Beer Trader

You could probably find a cab. But otherwise you can take Fullerton bus east to the red line stop and then go north from there. Or you could take blue line back towards the loop then walk to the lake red line stop and head north

jrnyc likes this.
  27. jrnyc

Beer Trader

Many thanks!

28. nickMB

belmont bus to kedzie is pretty quick if your close to belmont

29. Redrover

Redrover Poo-Bah (2,987) Jan 18, 2003 Illinois
    Subscriber

30. JohnnieNepal

JohnnieNepal Defender (644) Feb 16, 2013 Michigan
    Beer Trader

How is the stadium beer during this intermission?

31. JimRandall

JimRandall Initiate (0) Nov 8, 2009 Illinois

You obviously have not evaluated the bars in the area in a while. There is a rich abundance of great beer in Wrigleyville.

32. nickMB

No, chicago is kinda spoiled these days and can get a decent offering from revolution or goose island almost everywhere, but Matilda and Anti-Hero don't do it for me when going out because I'm a snob. But you're right, almost all those bars around there feature decent craft offerings, but I still didn't want to sit around with those annoying jammers (editors note - I've been in the ten club for 13 years and was in the GA pit friday, but I find a majority of their fans are very annoying. Dead Heads with money).

gill897 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Founded in Boston in 1996, BeerAdvocate (BA) is your go-to resource for beer powered by an independent community of enthusiasts and professionals dedicated to supporting and promoting better beer.

Learn More
  • Our Community

Comprised of consumers and industry professionals, many of whom started as members of this site, our community is one of the oldest, largest, and most respected beer communities online.
  • Our Events

Since 2003 we've hosted over 60 world-class beer festivals to bring awareness to independent brewers and educate attendees.
  • Our Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.