Phase Three Brewing (2020)

Discussion in 'Great Lakes' started by Gambyt20, Jan 1, 2020.

1. Jagrmaister

Jagrmaister Initiate (38) Jan 13, 2018
    Trader

Untappd with its 4.06 be damned, I rather enjoyed Abstract Technicality.

mbockstruck30 likes this.
  2. Shriner

Shriner Initiate (63) Mar 29, 2017 Illinois

Gosh, I am not sure about that. Based on sales, my friend's experiences and my own personal experiences; the NE IPA's have been top tier. I can't think of one brewery other than More or Corridor that I would even consider picking a 4-pack over them (and of course those are not distributed).

Vitamin_Hop and GuyFawkes like this.
  3. cmjohst

cmjohst Initiate (66) Dec 19, 2017 Illinois
    Trader

They’re not bad, and for the local market I agree they’re up there as a go to. I should have been more clear, I was more referring to their national appeal. I don’t see many people trading for P3 hops...

jaysker95 likes this.
  4. mbockstruck30

mbockstruck30 Aspirant (299) Dec 31, 2010 Illinois
    Trader

I agree. I wasn't a fan of any of his previous DIPAs before the last two. I definitely think he's finally dialing it in. I'll admit he's starting to convert me. Maybe some of the lower ratings are those that feel its a bit too green. Which is the way I prefer them.

Jagrmaister and JJH1018 like this.
  5. kreg02

kreg02 Disciple (360) Nov 19, 2012 Illinois
    Trader

You not mentioning Hop Butcher makes me wonder about you...

6. Bburns87

Bburns87 Initiate (143) Jun 11, 2013 Illinois
    Trader

I'm still convinced that people who whine about mikerphone constantly, haven't actually drank any of their beer in the last year.

jaysker95 and PhilBallins like this.
  7. Jagrmaister

Trader

I have. And they all sucked.

8. Bburns87

Trader

Yeah you clearly have no bias at all :grin:

PhilBallins likes this.
  9. cmjohst

Trader

Last beer I bought from them was BA bean spirit and the maple variant. I had it and thought "if this mediocre beer is the premier beer they make and I have to get to elk grove for it, Its not worth it." Havent been back since, but Ill still go to their festival since they pull the best crowd in chicago

GuyFawkes likes this.
  10. Bburns87

Trader

If any P3 dropped an imperial bean spirit variant and called it something else, everyone here who whines about Miker in non mikerphone threads would be circle jerking about how incredible it is.

11. Hop-Trollop

Hop-Trollop Initiate (91) Apr 27, 2012 Illinois

People still trade haze?

12. cmjohst

Trader

I dont speak for other people, I speak for myself. I think they make average beer at top tier prices in an inconvenient location for me. And even if youre right, you should be happy. Easy access and no secondary to as much Mikerphone as you want. Cheer up, bud.

13. Jagrmaister

Trader

What's my bias if I genuinely think their beer is over hyped and just not of good quality?

14. miniditka77

miniditka77 Aspirant (203) May 21, 2015 Illinois
    Trader

Yeah, I have to LOL a little bit about P3 fans trashing Mikerphone. Mike routinely puts out IPAs that are better than any IPA I've ever tried from P3, most of which have been average or worse. Maybe things will be different once Shaun gets it dialed in like he did at More, but I'm not even going to bother buying P3 IPAs any more until he does.

Pressed, on the other hand, is awesome.

15. BeerPrince22

BeerPrince22 Initiate (120) Feb 21, 2016 Illinois
    Trader

Lets get it straight. P3 and Mikerphone both put out very average IPAs.

16. Bburns87

Trader

How is anything they make overhyped? It is one of the easiest beers to get for any release they do...

PhilBallins likes this.
  17. HawksBeerFan

HawksBeerFan Aspirant (270) Dec 24, 2011 Illinois
    Trader

I got a Pressed and a Lost in the Moment today. Having the Lost in the Moment now and must say I am loving it. I am really pleased to see them putting out just a very tasty American IPA. I get some piney west coast vibes while also getting a smooth finish. Really nice beer.

Chuckdiesel24 likes this.
  18. Bburns87

Trader

Lot of revisionist history on P3 IPA's. Protocol might be the worst craft IPA I had in 2019, but apparently they only pump out bangers. I think they have vastly improved but I would still take just about every Mikerphone IPA over theirs.

I would absolutely love to do a blind taste test with all these beers. the results would warm my cold black heart.

And yes, pressed is a top tier beer for me. It's by far their best work. I think Curvature is pretty average compared to Shauns past stouts.

spookytwo, PhilBallins and galos11 like this.
  19. HawksBeerFan

Trader

Eh I both agree and disagree.

I have never been blown away by any of Mike's stouts, and especially not his BA stouts. Yes it wasn't Phase 3 but the beers I had from Shaun at FOBAB were truly exceptional. I tried some of his regular More stouts and found them good but not worth the hype. Every Pressed I've had has been excellent. Mike's stouts range from good to below average to me, I've had some truly bad stuff from him.

The IPAs are hard to judge for me. Some of the best IPAs I've ever had were from Mike like 4 years ago but I can't say anything I've had from him over the past couple years have replicated that. By the same token, I've not had enough More/P3 IPAs to really judge but what I have had has not been exceptional (although I really do like the Lost in the Moment I'm having now).

People see what they want in these breweries a lot of the time and with the volume of different SKUs they push out it's really hard to judge who is "better" since it's not like we are evaluating 3-4 core offerings.

I think a lot of the hate Mikerphone gets comes down to their borderline obnoxious pricing and the gimmick beers they push. Their oxidation issues didn't help either.

PhilBallins likes this.
  20. miniditka77

Trader

Touche.

I know I probably come off as a Mikerphone fanboy, but I don't think everything they do is great (or even good). I do think their best is better than most breweries' best though.

jaysker95 and PhilBallins like this.
  21. Elldawg13

Elldawg13 Initiate (26) Mar 18, 2016 Illinois

Gonna sum this one up:

Mikerphone and P3 make average IPA’s in a market where competition is high. Mikerphones IPA’s have infection or “off flavors” about 5 days after canning. P3’s IPA’s hold a descent shelf life.

Shaun knows how to make world class stouts; both barrel aged and non barrel aged. However some would say his Pressed series, even though a porter, may be better than his Curvature offerings.

Mike’s stouts are mediocre at best and he charges an arm and a leg for them. He collabs on a TON of stouts because he can’t brew a descent one by himself. Also shelf life on his stouts is probably a month if you’re lucky. Most of his offerings are pretty one dimensional and lack any complexity.

BeerPrince22, Vitamin_Hop and BLA1R like this.
  22. GuyFawkes

GuyFawkes Poo-Bah (4,402) Apr 7, 2011 Illinois
    Society Trader

Pixel Density still tastes great to me. Glad this is their "flagship" IPA.

23. weirdalchy

weirdalchy Initiate (110) Jan 23, 2015 Illinois
    Trader

I suppose you are one of those that believe Chicago haze holds up to all the national hyped ones? Spare me the Hop Butcher lactose bombs

jaysker95 likes this.
  24. Jangoon24

Jangoon24 Disciple (323) Jul 25, 2015 Illinois
    Trader

The Pixel Density cans I picked up yesterday are just stellar. The mouth feel is on point, the Citra hops are really shining through, and the rind-y, citrus notes just keep coming.

People who like sweeter IPAs may think this is a little "green" right now, but I'd gladly drink all 4 of these cans at this stage. If you like your NE IPAs on the bitter side, like myself, I highly suggest this batch.

25. Bburns87

Trader

You realize he collabs with a ton of people because it gets his brand out there to people that wouldn't normally have it, right? You don't actually believe that he does this because he's some monkey that can't brew on his own, right?

This is the craft beer equivalent of someone saying "WhY iS thE prEsIdEnT GoLfInG wHeN We hAvE A tOn Of PrObLeMs tO FiX"

Imperial bean spirit is one of his best beers. I can't even remember a stout that he collabed with someone on that people were raving about.

The funniest part about this logic is you will just always give the other brewery credit, no matter where it is brewed and regardless of it being good or not, you will just say "see? he only makes good stuff when he collabs!!!"

26. HawksBeerFan

Trader

https://trumpgolfcount.com/

27. miniditka77

Trader

Press Play!

But yeah, I agree with everything you are saying. Mikerphone hate has gotten way, way beyond anything that can be considered rational.

HazeBro83 likes this.
  28. jamshard2mash

jamshard2mash Initiate (98) May 4, 2017 California
    Trader

Question for the locals, how much are the pressed variants and typical allotments? I believe they come in 2 packs, right?

29. Jangoon24

Jangoon24 Disciple (323) Jul 25, 2015 Illinois
    Trader

30. LongTaco15

LongTaco15 Devotee (436) Feb 4, 2016 Illinois
    Society Trader

Most recent Pressed $12.99/2pk. I think there was a (2) 2pk limit on Wednesday at the brewery.

Coraciiformes and jamshard2mash like this.
  31. cmjohst

Trader

you have to be an employee, nobody has this much passion for defending something they’re not invested in (and mikerphone doesn’t have membership).

GuyFawkes and Vitamin_Hop like this.
  32. HawksBeerFan

Trader

I'm not sure what your point is, people aren't rational beings about most things in their lives, let alone the beer they drink. All things considered (high pricing, inconsistent quality, oxidation issues, gimmicky beers which are fun to shit on) the Mikerphone feelings here actually fairly rational. People can like their beer and people can find their whole approach a bit silly. It's fine.

GuyFawkes, flat_lander and cmjohst like this.
  33. flat_lander

flat_lander Defender (622) May 11, 2016 Illinois
    Society Trader

This pretty much describes me. I like some of his beer - the last Poetic Hustler can I had was great and would absolutely buy it again. Also dislike a lot of his beer - I just don't like any Bean Spirit I've ever had. The overly roasty and overly mapley combo just does nothing for me. And the gimmicks are a bit much for me.

GuyFawkes likes this.
  34. Elldawg13

Your response is about as infected as Mike’s beers. Pretty prettttty pretttttyyyyyyy sour.

35. Bburns87

Trader

I probably have a mikerphone beer at most once a month, and that’s probably generous. Which is probably more beer than the combined total of the 3 or 4 people who circlejerk how bad they are

PhilBallins likes this.
  36. Vitamin_Hop

Vitamin_Hop Initiate (137) Mar 26, 2015 Illinois
    Trader

Your last part is pretty dead on. When his collaboration stouts are good, big if, it’s usually because of the other brewer. But he takes great photos of throwing random trash in the tun so I’ll give mike, I mean you, credit.

GuyFawkes likes this.
  37. Bburns87

Trader

Now all the beers are infected? Man you find something new to make up every reply

38. Bburns87

Trader

you realize how ridiculous it is to say that with certainty as if you watch them brew lol. You have no idea who is contributing what to the recipe

39. ECCS

ECCS Initiate (197) Oct 28, 2015 Illinois
    Trader

Yea... it’s weird that people that think Mikerphone makes bad beer (or over priced or in a bad format) don’t drink it more often

BLA1R, Vitamin_Hop and Jagrmaister like this.
  40. Elldawg13

You must either have an equity in the brewery, be an employee, or your Mike’s side piece because no one defends a brewery who has put out as much shitty and overpriced beer as you do.

BLA1R, Vitamin_Hop and Jagrmaister like this.