Phoenix Beer Scene Inquiry

Discussion in 'Southwest' started by Brewfisted, Jan 25, 2018.

1. Brewfisted

Brewfisted Initiate (72) Dec 26, 2016 Missouri
    Trader

Greetings, BA friends! Haven't posted any inquiries in these forums, so I figured I'd throw some feelers out there and see what comes back. Heading down to Phoenix next week for some golf, and most importantly, good beer. Does anyone have any suggestions on must-stop breweries, bottle shops and places with a great local craft beer tap selection? I look forward to hearing any feedback! Cheers!!

2. aschwab

aschwab Devotee (493) Mar 3, 2009 Texas

I visited for the first time 10 days or so ago. To me, the breweries that I went to that I suggest are:

Wren House
    Helton
    McFate
    Arizona Wilderness
    Goldwater

3. Brewfisted

Trader

Awesome, thanks for the info. Wren House looks great!

4. Ten_SeventySix_Brewhouse

Ten_SeventySix_Brewhouse Initiate (131) Jul 20, 2016 Arizona

Where are you staying? The Phoenix area is a lot larger than most people realize.

In general, though, @aschwab had some pretty good suggestions. Only brewery I'd add is The Shop. I'd also recommend hitting up a good beer bar and/or bottle shop. Don't want to come out here and not grab a beer from Tombstone or Modern Times. Plenty of good suggestions on those things if you do a quick search.

5. Brewfisted

Trader

Perfect, thanks! Definitely not at all familiar with the distro out there, but I LOVE Modern Times. My understanding is that we are relatively close to the airport (PHX). We're in town for the Waste Management tournament. I'm definitely allocating a bit of time to finding the best bottle shop(s) in close proximity to that area, as well as good watering holes with an ample selection of local taps.

6. aschwab

aschwab Devotee (493) Mar 3, 2009 Texas

Close to the airport is where we stayed, and it worked out great. You may not have anything right next to you, but you are close to the train and uber in all directions are not bad.

7. Ten_SeventySix_Brewhouse

Yep, from the airport area, just hop on the light rail and it'll take you by lots of points of interest. Plenty of bars on Mill Ave., and Tops is just walking distance from there. Decent bottle shop and taplist.

If you like pizza, I like Boulders on Broadway. Awesome tap list. Craft 64 in Scottsdale has all local taps. Depends on where you'll be golfing, really.

8. bigbelcher

bigbelcher Zealot (595) Jul 10, 2003 Arizona

I would add to the list Huss Brewing and Sun Up. Both making great beers, Huss has a tap room 3 blocks from Sun Up right off the light rail. Pedal Haus on Mill Ave has some solid offerings as well. Also off the light rail in Mesa is Cider Corps if you want to try something different, there are a couple of beer places nearby but I wouldnt recommend them.

9. Brewfisted

Trader

Love it. Keep the suggestions coming! All solid options. I will actually have a rental car since I intend on getting a few holes in each day, so anything adjacent or accessible to light rail isn't really a pre-requisite. It seems as if Mill Ave will be my one-stop shop for everything, including food. And along those lines, I'm a foodie, so if anyone has any awesome must-stop eateries they recommend, I'd love to hear it.

10. bigbelcher

I wouldn't recommend drinking and driving. This state has some of the toughest DUI laws around. It's worth your money to uber it around if you've even have one beer. Just off Mill Ave on Farmer St is the Yard. its a fun place to go. You can also get Thai take out at Thai Basil and eat in Taste of Tops. A couple of cheap burger places on Mill Ave are Five Guys and Steak and Shake

11. Brewfisted

Trader

Thanks for the tip. Yeah, I've actually heard the same, and I'll probably take your advice on that. Guess I'll have to suck it up and get the uber app once and for all. Don't need to be taking any unnecessary risks. Definitely not a fast food kinda guy.... We have Five Guys and Steak & Shake here as well. I'm into places that have a good variety of menu items, notably things that locals say "you gotta go try this" (of course a solid beer menu is a huge plus). I'd like to try things that I could get while in Phoenix and know that I will never see again once I get back to St Louis. But based on what I'm hearing, it seems Mill Ave is the place.

12. Ten_SeventySix_Brewhouse

For drinking, Mill is a decent choice. For food, it's lots of bar food. That said, Rula Bula is a great Irish pub. I'd recommend it for the food alone, and there are some basic local craft options. They had Dragoon IPA last time I was there, even though it wasn't on the menu. If you're looking for another "bar district" old town Scottsdale deserves a mention. Hit Goldwater and Two Brothers, then you've got lots of bars within walking/short-uber distance. Craft64 has decent pizza and good taps, and Yardhouse always has something good on tap whichever city I'm in. Plus, you can hit the world-class mall in case you need to do some drunk impulse-buying. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Off Mill, still, I mostly eat at breweries/gastro pubs when I go out. Wilderness has stand-out burgers, I already mentioned Boulders for pizza and beer, Buddyz is GREAT for real Chicago deep dish (skip Lou Malnati's and Geno's East in favor of Buddyz, IMO). McFate has solid food. (North has real wood fired pizza, south does not, but had a larger menu if you'll be at the open, North is worth a stop to pregame. Not a lot of local beer at the open. Best thing I saw last year was Saint Archer. Really good IPA, but Coors-owned.) Cornish Pasty is a unique spot. Good taps, and where else can you get a pasty?

If you want dessert, Doc's in Tempe is THE place. Weird hours, but the ice cream (technically gelato) worth it. He even makes some liquor-infused flavors.

And I'll stress this again. Find a Tombstone beer on tap before you leave. Good stuff.

13. Brewfisted

Trader

Thanks for all the great advice guys! I'm going to try and knock out as much of that as I possibly can! I'm actually staying on 8th Street so it looks to be about a 17 Mile Uber ride to Mill Ave. Sucks. I tried looking into the light rail but I got to be honest... That shit is confusing as hell! Mill Ave is Tempe right?

14. Ten_SeventySix_Brewhouse

It is in Tempe. The light rail is really pretty simple. Just find a stop and you can buy a ticket from the machine. They come about every 15 minutes. You can get a multi-day pass cheaper than a per-ride ticket.

15. Brewfisted

Trader

I was actually trying to find a light rail map that sort of overlaid the streets so that I could find a stop close by where I'm staying but didn't have much luck with that. I suspect taking light rail from there to Mill would be a hell of a cheaper than an uber.

16. Ten_SeventySix_Brewhouse

Yes, it should be much cheaper. Depending on where on 8th Street you're staying, you might look at Angel's Trumpet Ale House. I've never been, but hear good things. It may be walking distance for you.

17. sonsofauerbach

sonsofauerbach Initiate (136) Sep 30, 2013 Vermont
    Trader

I lived in AZ for years and can vouch for Angel's Trumpet. Always a great list of beers and plenty of good food options.

blackcloud likes this.
  18. Brewfisted

Trader

Thanks for the suggestions. As it turns out, the major intersections I'm staying near are north 7th st and E. Cheryl. This is around 12 mi from Angel's Trumpet, which seems like it will be a mandatory stop before heading toward Mill. Wren House seems to be on the way as well.....

19. IGaveYouPower

IGaveYouPower Initiate (127) Dec 2, 2010 New York

I've spent a week in Phoenix in each of the last couple years and minus Goldwater (only because I haven't been) these would be my suggestions.

In order: Wren House, AZ Wilderness, McFate, Helton.

For bottle shops, when you're at AZ Wilderness, it's a pretty quick scoot down to Gilbert Convenience Mart, who'll have Modern Times, Tombstone, Council, Lost Abbey, Grassroots and a lot of other stuff you probably wouldn't get in MO.

MonkeyBread likes this.
  20. Brewfisted

Trader

Thanks for the advice. Already going to Wren House. Guess I'll have to hit AZ Wilderness and the bottle shop as well!

21. Ten_SeventySix_Brewhouse

Bottleshop 48 and Liquor Express are good too, and are pretty much on your way to/from Wilderness.

I'd recommend Wren House based on proximity to where you are staying, but I don't really get the hype. Ok beers, but I would take a $9 growler fill of Helton any day if I'm in that area. Plus, Helton has food. If I had to skip one brewery suggestion in this thread, it would be Wren House or Goldwater. Seems like its a must stop for others, though. Let us know what you think!

MonkeyBread likes this.
  22. breadwinner

breadwinner Meyvn (1,204) Mar 6, 2014 California
    Trader

If you're heading down to Angels, I'd highly, highly recommend stopping at Kings Beer & Wine -- combo bottle shop/bar, everything can be bought in singles, fantastic tap list of 50ish beers, crowlers to go (and no addt'l cost beyond the fill for those). Awesome spot. Other stuff in your vicinity that you might enjoy -- Moto for sushi and a great tap list and Bonus Round as an arcade bar (free to play, good tap list, good bottle/can list).

23. blackcloud

blackcloud Aspirant (286) Apr 28, 2012 Alaska
    Trader

#1 don't-miss in my opinion is Wren House. Great space, great people, amazing beers.

Can't back @sonsofauerbach 's Angels Trumpet suggestion enough - that place is great and I hit it every time i'm in town.

Definitely look out for Tombstone hops. super good.

Shop was pretty cool, just stopped in for one, but I'd go back for sure.

Not too far up from Wren House you could hit Wandering Tortoise and Helton pretty easily. Really dig both those spots.

AZ Wilderness is a haul, but worth it.

24. Evan

Evan Devotee (439) Mar 9, 2012 Maryland

Any suggestions for a place with good beer to watch the Super Bowl?

25. Evan

Evan Devotee (439) Mar 9, 2012 Maryland

Anybody? Staying by Old Town Scottsdale. Looking for a spot to watch the game.

We stopped by Wren House today and were both big fans. Pumped to see cans were still available when I arrived around 2. Thanks for the suggestion!

26. tpop

tpop Initiate (92) Apr 17, 2010 Arizona

Cold Beer & Cheeseburgers, Loco Patron, R&R - they will all have the game on (as will most places down there)....

27. Brewfisted

Trader

Thanks all for the great suggestions! Awesome trip. Unfortunately time was a bit limited having to divide between good beer, golf, and the Phoenix Open. Wren House was awesome (Bad Boy Wally may be one of my new favorite beers), as was Angels Trumpet (phenomenal hummus plate), The Shop, and went to Wandering Tortoise on recommendation. Seriously awesome selection of good local beers. Sadly that was all the time I had. I did manage to make a quick stop at Kings bottle shop as well. Again thanks all for the recommendations! Cheers!

MonkeyBread and breadwinner like this.
  28. BrewingAZ

BrewingAZ Initiate (0) Feb 27, 2018 Arizona

If you go to Wren House, you should visit Helton, it's just a few miles down the road and is pretty good too.

29. ChazMania

ChazMania Initiate (198) Jun 13, 2006 California

Just spent a few days visiting family in PHX, didn't make it to any breweries, but did score cans of:
    Elevated from La Cumbre in Albuquerque, excellent clean bitter WC IPA
    Tower Station from Mother Road in Flagstaff. outstanding unfiltered style WCIPA
    Dragoon IPA from Dragoon in Tuscon; very good unfiltered WCIPA.

2 i haven't yet tried are Odells Imperial Peach Tree, and a sour bottle from Arizona Wilderness.

30. Piels25

Piels25 Initiate (180) Dec 17, 2013 Massachusetts
    Trader

Greetings! I'm flying in late tomorrow afternoon and have a few hours to explore the scene. From what I can tell, the best use of my time to try a number of the best local beers in close proximity is Wren and Helton. Is it also worth trying to hit The Wandering Tortoise as well? Thanks in advance.

31. ClarkstonMark

ClarkstonMark Initiate (64) Feb 21, 2016 Michigan
    Trader

I would go to Angel's Trumpet.

32. Piels25

Piels25 Initiate (180) Dec 17, 2013 Massachusetts
    Trader

Thanks for the feedback. I'll have to do either Angel's Trumpet, or some combination of Wren/Helton/Tortoise. The current tap list on Angel's website doesn't look all that impressive to me. Am I missing something?

33. Ten_SeventySix_Brewhouse

I'd definitely do the latter of those two options.

Piels25 likes this.
  34. IGaveYouPower

IGaveYouPower Initiate (127) Dec 2, 2010 New York

For SURE do Wren/Helton/Tortoise over Angel's Trumpet. It's not even close.

Angel's Trumpet has FOUR amber ales on right now. Four. I love a good amber -- probably more than most -- but a craft bar having four ambers on at once is absolutely preposterous. Further, they have three witbiers and two blondes on. Again, like those styles, especially this time of year in PHX, but there's no need for half of your tap options to be either a blonde, amber or witbier. It's not 2004.

35. Ten_SeventySix_Brewhouse

Yep. I've been there, and the food and vibe are cool. The tap list really disappointed me, though. I'm not sure there was an IPA on the menu out of maybe 30 taps. There wasn't anything I was really excited to drink, so I had one beer and left.

kreg02 likes this.
  36. bigbelcher

I think the owners there are beer'd and business-ed out. I was speaking with an employee there who essentially told me that they have checked out and are burned out on owning the place. Other places are stepping up their game.

37. denver10

denver10 Poo-Bah (2,414) Nov 17, 2010 New Mexico

Checked out Goldwater this weekend while down for Spring Training. Pleasantly surprised with what I tried. In particular, I thought their SMASH Lager was great. Dont know the hop/malt bill they had going or hiw frequently it switches up, but definitely worth checking out for fans of the style, imo.

#37 denver10, Mar 12, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2018
    MonkeyBread likes this.
  38. KCUnited

KCUnited Initiate (171) Nov 11, 2014 Illinois
    Trader

The Shop in Tempe might be my new favorite spot in PHX. Stopped in yesterday for the first time and had a Church Music and a Super Anime Pig, which was a really unique take on a juicy ipa. I grabbed a 4pk of their Modern Times collab ipa to-go as well. They didn’t have a ton of beers on tap but I enjoyed what I had and loved the cool vibe they have. Hoping to return once more before heading home.

39. blackcloud

blackcloud Aspirant (286) Apr 28, 2012 Alaska
    Trader

man, that's a bummer. that place has been epic almost every time i've been there. however... i do recall being there last october and not being entirely stoked on the taplist.

such a great space and vibe, hopefully someone can turn it around

40. angelsfan27

angelsfan27 Initiate (0) Sep 2, 2015 California

Gonna be in town friday through sunday. Been to 18 breweries and know some others id like to check out

Can releases. AZ Wilderness and Wren House have em. So does 12 west, but more interested in ipa. How are those releases? Not interested in waiting in much of a line. How long do these cans typically last?