Phoenix Beer Scene Inquiry

Discussion in 'Southwest' started by Brewfisted, Jan 25, 2018.

1. Beaverhuntr

Beaverhuntr Initiate (36) Apr 20, 2018 Arizona

Wandering Tortoise is having their 2 year anniversary this Saturday. You might find some good cans / bottles there this weekend. Huge tap list too.

2. DefenCorps

DefenCorps Poo-Bah (3,996) Jan 18, 2007 Oregon
    Trader

Thanks for all the recommendations! I'll see where I can stop by!

breadwinner and Beaverhuntr like this.
  3. Beaverhuntr

The Wandering Tortoise 2 year anniversary party was super packed in the morning. I think they opened at 9 am and by 10 they were sold out of Pueblo Vida cans and getting low on the AZ Wilderness DIPA cans.

4. DefenCorps

DefenCorps Poo-Bah (3,996) Jan 18, 2007 Oregon
    Trader

Thanks for the recommendations, everyone! I ended up doing a loop with stops at Wren House, Wandering Tortoise and Kings. All are excellent spots, I loved the new Bolo Tie rye IPA at WH, and WT has such a warm and friendly feel. And Kings? The draft list is outrageous!

Beaverhuntr and breadwinner like this.
  5. jjhops

jjhops Initiate (17) Feb 28, 2018 Massachusetts

Heading to Phoenix from new England, any breweries in that area doing hazy IPAs?

6. Beaverhuntr

Wren House - Brewery should have a few on tap
    Wandering Tortoise - Tap House with huge tap list and lots of hazy's on tap. Mostly west coast brewery IPA's

Those two places are the best in the Phoenix area

Pueblo Vida Brewing in Tucson makes the best hazy IPA's in the state.

7. Ten_SeventySix_Brewhouse

Ten_SeventySix_Brewhouse Initiate (131) Jul 20, 2016 Arizona

You’re going to have to narrow it down a bit if you don’t want to drive too far. Are you staying in Phoenix proper or some other part of the metro area? Lots of good recommendations earlier in the thread already.

8. jjhops

jjhops Initiate (17) Feb 28, 2018 Massachusetts

Downtown Phoenix

9. Ten_SeventySix_Brewhouse

Well then, @Beaverhuntr has given you good advice. King’s also comes highly recommended as a bottle shop and has a large tap list. I would also say that if you get over to WH or WT, don’t miss Helton. Specifically, I think their Northeast IPA is excellent and flys way under the radar for some reason.

As for downtown downtown, there’s Angel’s Trumpet. Big tap list, but when I went, there weren’t a lot of IPAs. Worth a stop if you’re nearby.

Beaverhuntr likes this.
  10. Beaverhuntr

Yeah Kings Beer and wine , Wandering Tortoise , Wren House ... All pretty much 10-15 min away from Airport. Kings is pretty much downtown. The other two are about 10 min away.

11. Laingj11

Laingj11 Initiate (0) Monday

I will be in town for the open and super bowl Sunday and through the following Thursday. Mostly have the evenings open each night .

Planning the Wrenhouse, Tortoise, Helton trip.

Lot of info on the Hazy game in this thread which I appreciate!

What about sour, sour ipas, milkshake ipas? Same spots or other places to check out?

Have maybe a trip to Tucson on the list for a couple breweries there and maybe AZ wilderness, Goldwater, and Mcfate.

Could use recommendations for best Mexican, burgers, or pizza around the breweries as a bonus!

12. Beaverhuntr

For Sour IPA's and milkshakes Wren and Tortoise are your best bet in Phoenix.

13. LumpkinBrews

LumpkinBrews Aspirant (249) Aug 30, 2013 Arizona
    Trader

Make your way to Tempe. Hit up El Pollo Supremo for some Mexican and bring it to Taste of Tops. They are only about half a block from each other on University Ave and will easily be one of the most memorable parts of your trip

14. Ten_SeventySix_Brewhouse

A lot of the breweries have really good food themselves. Wilderness has great burgers. I go there for the food as much as the beer. McFate has a few menu items that I like enough to go there fairly often. The North location has a more limited menu than the South. Both locations have wood fired pizza which is pretty good.

If you want “real” (read Chicago style) pizza, though, you must check out Buddyz. Their three locations are probably a bit far from where you’ll be staying, but if you get down to Wilderness or Tucson, you’ll be pretty close to one at some point in your trip. Also, hit The Original Burrito Company in Ahwatukee on your way down to Tucson for some awesome burritos and chips & salsa. Note that they don’t serve alcohol, but that’s probably for the best if you’re going to be driving anyway.

And I know you didn’t ask, but check out Trapp Haus for some awesome BBQ.

15. IGaveYouPower

IGaveYouPower Initiate (127) Dec 2, 2010 New York

Anyone been to Helluva brewing? I'll be back in PHX in a few months, staying in Chandler, so I may wanna check that spot out.

16. thedaveofbeer

thedaveofbeer Initiate (133) Mar 25, 2016 Massachusetts
    Trader

Is Arizona Wildness the best brewery option for beer and food?

17. Ten_SeventySix_Brewhouse

Depends what kind of food you want. Look at the menus of some more places and decide. Also depends how heavily you weight the importance of food quality vs beer quality. Some breweries have good food, but okay beer, and some vice versa. Honestly, I’ve been impressed with the majority of the food from brewpubs around here, and most of them do serve food.

Overall, I’d recommend Wilderness and McFate as having solid beer and food options. Some others have good food or beer, but those two strike the right balance for me and are my go-to places as far as brewpubs.