Phoenix Visit Suggestions...

Discussion in 'Southwest' started by toofdoc, Aug 8, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. toofdoc

toofdoc Initiate (0) Jun 28, 2011 New Mexico

Will be spending a few days in the Phoenix area, specifically Scottsdale. Was looking for some suggestions for either a brewery or a bar to visit. Food isn't a must, but would be nice. Just looking for the best beer the area has to offer. Willing to bring bottles for a share as well. Cheers!

2. TTUJohn

TTUJohn Initiate (0) Nov 13, 2012 Texas

I'm not a local, but had fun at Fate in Scottsdale on a recent trip

breadwinner likes this.
  3. mhenson42

mhenson42 Maven (1,409) Nov 20, 2011 Texas
    Trader

I'd say hit Arizona Wilderness and Fate for sure. Then San Tan and/or Four Peaks if you have the time.

4. bigbelcher

bigbelcher Initiate (0) Jul 10, 2003 Arizona

Scottsdale is pretty spread out. Up north you have Four Peaks. In the center you have Scottsdale Beer Compamy and Fate. In the south you have Goldwater Brewing, Papago Brewing and soon a new Fate Brewing. All are worthy of stops but my top two are Fate and Papago. You cannot take bottles into anyplace that has a liquor license but feel free to hand them out to people in the parking lot when you leave.

5. toofdoc

Both Fate and AZW look fantastic. If you had to choose one?

6. mhenson42

Trader

I'm driving into Phoenix on Tuesday for the day. I'm going to Arizona Widerness. They have awesome food too.

DaverCS likes this.
  7. breadwinner

breadwinner Initiate (0) Mar 6, 2014 California

Fate. By a long shot for me. But I've never been quite as high on AZW as everyone else seems to be, so take that for what it's worth.

MiScusi likes this.
  8. toofdoc

Thanks for all the responses. Looking at tap lists, AZW wins on paper, by a lot. (I'm a fan of Gose) I'll most likely try to make that choice number one and hope I make it to both.

9. mhenson42

Trader

I'm at AZW now. No Gose on tap, but there's a Grapefruit Gose in the fermenter. The Berliner on tap now is pretty good. They also have a salty saison (Salt River)

10. toofdoc

Thanks for the update. I'll be there next week. Hopefully the grapefruit gose on tap!

11. yemenmocha

yemenmocha Grand Pooh-Bah (4,092) Jun 18, 2002 Arizona
    Pooh-Bah Society

For best beer overall beer selection (not the buy local only stuff) I'd recommend going to The Attic or Angel's Trumpet. Those are my two favorites. Check out the BA places section:
    http://www.beeradvocate.com/place/city/29/

If you really want to drink local, there's a newish place that has ONLY Arizona breweries. Craft 64. Maybe try that out and get a broad exposure of what AZ beer is like, rather than just hit 1 brewery.

http://www.craft64.com/

CarolinaCardinals and luwak like this.
  12. RandyV

RandyV Zealot (621) Aug 8, 2010 Arizona

+1 on Fate. Good beer and tasty pizza too!

13. estairs591

estairs591 Initiate (0) Mar 1, 2015 Iowa
    Trader

Was on vacation a few days ago and stopped into AZW. Excellent beer selection. They had a Hummingbird Saison/Sour on tap which was tremendous. Ended up getting a growler fill to take home. Staff was very friendly and tentative. Will defiantly go back if ever in the greater phoenix area again.

Wanted to stop into Fate but unfortunately time did not allow.

14. Sisky

Sisky Zealot (642) Dec 16, 2012 California

Coming out from California this weekend and looking to stop by azw and maybe fate. Growler laws are screwy here so wondering if either fill growlers with taped over logos. If they do, any issue with palla/swingtop vs. normal.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.