Pick My Third Hop for Cold IPA

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by jbakajust1, Apr 19, 2022.

?

Third Hop for Cold IPA, Sabro, Simcoe, ?

Poll closed Apr 23, 2022.
  1. Comet

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Idaho 7

2 vote(s)
    16.7%
  3. Chinook

5 vote(s)
    41.7%
  4. Columbus

1 vote(s)
    8.3%
  5. Falconer's Flight

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Mosaic

3 vote(s)
    25.0%
  7. El Dorado

1 vote(s)
    8.3%
  1. jbakajust1

jbakajust1 Crusader (774) Aug 25, 2009 Oregon

I have a Mexican Lager coming off the yeast this weekend and plan to brew up a Cold IPA to put on the cake. I am using Sabro and Simcoe. Pick the best 3rd hop to join that combo for me. I am not a fan of melon, so please, if you know it is going to throw melon in this combo, don't choose it. I prefer a touch of pine and resin alongside my fruit.

2. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (5,473) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Society

Given this input I 'voted' Chinook.

On a related note a couple of years ago my hop inventory skills were poor and when it came to adding dry hops to my clone of PtE I was out of Columbus (CTZ) hops so I had to make a substitution here. I had some Chinook in the freezer and I used that instead. That was my most tasty batch of PtE and thereafter I now use Chinook instead of CTZ when dry hopping this batch.

Cheers!

3. Supergenious

Supergenious Disciple (398) May 9, 2011 Michigan

Maybe I should be embarrassed, but that's time I've heard of a 'cold IPA'. As it turns I love this type of hoppy lager, just wasn't hip to the new lingo. I'll say Idaho 7, for no reason other than I really like them.

jbakajust1 likes this.
  4. jbakajust1

I get it. I have always referred to them as IPLs. Judging this last competition everyone was calling them Cold IPAs. Seems that is the lingo now.

5. VikeMan

VikeMan Poo-Bah (2,024) Jul 12, 2009 Pennsylvania
    Society

I also recently heard it for the first time. Another millenial invention. My question is...can I ferment a cold IPA warm if I use a Kveik strain?

PapaGoose03, MrOH and jbakajust1 like this.
  6. JackHorzempa

Society

A Cold IPA is not just an IPL if you go by the definition that Wayfinder generated. Below is something I posted in a previous thread:

Below is an extract from Wayfinder Brewery as regards their Cold IPA:

"How it’s made

Adjunct lager malt bill. 20-40% rice or corn mashed with all American two row pilsner malt. No caramel malts. Fermented to incredible dryness. 82-88% apparent degree of fermentation.

Lager yeast fermented warm. Quick fermenting yeast that throws low ester and low sulfur. Kölsch, Chico or California Common yeast could be substituted. It MUST not have high sulfur or high ester notes. Cold IPA is a canvas for IPA hops.

Dry hopped warm during spunding or krausening. This achieves bio-transformation while negating O2 pickup.

Filtered crystal clear and well-carbonated. Cold IPA is the anti-thesis of NEIPA.

Characteristics

Color: Straw to pale

Clarity: Appearance should be clear. Chill haze should not be present

Perceived Malt Aroma & Flavor: Malt sweetness is very low to low. Alcohol sweetness is medium. These beers finish extremely dry. Increased perceived sweetness may be due to increased alcohol.

Perceived Hop Aroma & Flavor: High, exhibiting floral, fruity (berry, tropical, stone fruit and other), sulfur, diesel-like, onion-garlic, catty, citrusy, piney or resinous character that was originally associated with American-variety hops. Hops with these attributes now also originate from countries other than the USA.

Perceived Bitterness: Medium to high, but not harsh

Fermentation Characteristics: Fruity esters and complex alcohol aromas and flavors are acceptable at low levels. Alcohol should not be solvent-like. Diacetyl should not be present.

Body: Low to medium-low

Additional notes: Finish should exhibit low to medium-low body with a clean, crisp malt character evident at low levels. Up to 40% corn and/or rice in the grist should be used. These crisp and refreshing beers are fermented warm with lager yeast or cold with ale yeast.

Original Gravity (°Plato) 1.055-1.065 (13.5-16.0 °Plato) • Apparent Extract/Final Gravity (°Plato) 1.006-1.009 (1.6-2.4 °Plato) • Alcohol by Weight (Volume) 5.1%-6.3% (6.4%-7.9%) • Hop Bitterness (IBU) 50-70 • Color SRM 2.5-5"

https://www.wayfinder.beer/cold-ipa

I am not aware that Cold IPA is an 'official' beer styles (i.e., does not exist yet in style guidelines: Brewers Association, BJCP, etc.) but the above verbiage from Wayfinder sure reads like a beer style description. Perhaps Wayfinder's not so subtle strategy to influence an update to the Brewers Association style guideline?

Cheers!

7. jbakajust1

@JackHorzempa so it is basically the next evolutionary step in Brut IPAs.

8. OddNotion

OddNotion Defender (600) Nov 1, 2009 New Jersey

Well that just sounds like a lager

VikeMan likes this.
  9. OddNotion

OddNotion Defender (600) Nov 1, 2009 New Jersey

Idaho 7 gets my vote. It's been in almost every IPA I have brewed recently and paired well with Simcoe and Centennial.

jbakajust1 likes this.
  10. VikeMan

VikeMan Poo-Bah (2,024) Jul 12, 2009 Pennsylvania
    Society

You betcha!

[​IMG]

11. JackHorzempa

Society

Your guess is as good as mine.

It seems like craft breweries are in the continuing mode of coming up with the next 'shiny new thing' to keep their customers interested in buying their beers. From a business perspective I kinda understand the pressures the commercial brewers feel they are under. But how many 'new' beer styles are really needed here!?! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Cheers!